PDA

View Full Version : Just Canned Blueberry Jam

Johnny Ringo
13th July 2010, 11:39 AM
My blueberry bush put out another bumper crop - we got more than ever now that I built an enclosure around my small patch to keep the birds out. This bush is about 9 years old and has been putting out lots of berries for the past 5 years. I've got a couple of younger ones that haven't started to produce the big numbers yet.

I was planning on dehydrating them, but I haven't gotten around to ordering a deyhdrator yet. So, with more than we can eat, I decided to try making jam for the first time, making a 2/3 batch from the Ball Blue Book which yielded 5 half-pints. The lids popped with a seal within a minute of me taking them out of the water bath. I'll check the seals tomorrow to make sure they're good.

As for the product, well, I used the bowl scrapings on some buttered toast. Man, you can't beat fresh home-grown!

MNeagle
13th July 2010, 11:47 AM
Sounds great! I'll be right over w/ more bread!! ;)

Congrats!

ximmy
13th July 2010, 02:57 PM
please take my order for a jar...

do you take paypal? :)

MNeagle
13th July 2010, 03:03 PM
which yielded 5 half-pints

I don't think he has surplus yet... But jam makes GREAT presents! It's what we gave last Christmas to the teachers, relatives, etc. (unfortunately not made by us, but very close to homemade!!)

ximmy
13th July 2010, 03:08 PM
which yielded 5 half-pints

I don't think he has surplus yet... But jam makes GREAT presents! It's what we gave last Christmas to the teachers, relatives, etc. (unfortunately not made by us, but very close to homemade!!)

oh well.. at least I got to pop his "thank you" cherry... :oo-->

Johnny Ringo
13th July 2010, 05:49 PM
Nah, don't take PayPal. But if I can get another batch in this year, I'll let you know and I'll send both of you a half-pint. If not, I'll get you next year.

The harvest will be better next year - I didn't finish getting my bird netting up until mid-June, and I lost a lot of berries to the mockingbirds. They apparently don't need to wait for them to ripen before they find them appetizing. But it's a permanent structure, so I shouldn't lose any berries next year. Now that I found how easy it is to make the jam, I'll know what to do with those mountains of berries next year.

MNeagle
13th July 2010, 06:10 PM
Nah, don't take PayPal. But if I can get another batch in this year, I'll let you know and I'll send both of you a half-pint. If not, I'll get you next year.

The harvest will be better next year - I didn't finish getting my bird netting up until mid-June, and I lost a lot of berries to the mockingbirds. They apparently don't need to wait for them to ripen before they find them appetizing. But it's a permanent structure, so I shouldn't lose any berries next year. Now that I found how easy it is to make the jam, I'll know what to do with those mountains of berries next year.

Hear that ximmy?? Aren't we some lucky gals!