PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Collapse Of American Empire

cedarchopper
13th July 2010, 01:13 PM
The writing is on the wall...only boobus Americana is unaware.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/141349

Historian warns of sudden collapse of American ‘empire’
by Brent Gardner-Smith, Aspen Daily News Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Harvard professor and prolific author Niall Ferguson opened the 2010 Aspen Ideas Festival Monday with a stark warning about the increasing prospect of the American “empire” suddenly collapsing due to the country’s rising debt level.

“I think this is a problem that is going to go live really soon,” Ferguson said. “In that sense, I mean within the next two years. Because the whole thing, fiscally and other ways, is very near the edge of chaos. And we’ve seen already in Greece what happens when the bond market loses faith in your fiscal policy.”

Ferguson said empires — such as the former Soviet Union and the Roman empire — can collapse quite quickly and the tipping point is often when the cost of servicing an empire’s debt is larger than the cost of its defense budget.

“That has not been the case I think at any point in U.S. history,” Ferguson said. “It will be the case in the next five years.”

Ferguson was conscious of opening the Ideas Festival on such a stark note.

“Walter Isaacson, the leader of this great institution said, ‘Don’t be too dark!,’” Ferguson said.

The affable British scholar tried to keep it light. He used a stage whisper to tell the Aspen Institute audience, “I know you’re not comfortable with the word ‘empire,’ especially just after the Fourth of July, but you are the Redcoats now.”

He said the U.S. is now deeply in the red as a country because of a combination of the Great Recession, the resulting federal stimulus and financial bailout programs, two wars, the Bush tax cuts, and a growth in social entitlement programs.

And economic debt can lead to a sudden loss of military power and global respect, Ferguson said.

“By combating our crisis of private debt with an extraordinary expansion of public debt, we inevitably are going to reduce the resources available for national security in the years ahead,” Ferguson said. “Because as a debt grows, so the interest payments you have to make on it grow, even if interest rates stay low. And on current projections, the federal debt is going to be absorbing around 20 percent — a fifth of all the taxes you pay — within just a few years.

“The item of discretionary federal expenditure most likely to be squeezed is of course defense. And there are lots of historic precedents for that,” said Ferguson, who is the author of “Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power.”

Ferguson said the financial crisis that started in 2007 has “has accelerated a fundamental shift in the balance of power,” with the U.S. shedding power and China absorbing it.

“I’ve just come back from China — a two-week trip there — and the thing I heard most often was, ‘You can’t lecture us about the superiority of your system anymore. We don’t need to learn anything from you about financial institutions and forget about democracy. We see where it has got you.’”

David Gergen of CNN, who moderated the discussion, which also included billionaire Mortimer Zuckerman, asked Ferguson whether it made a difference if the U.S. declined as a world power.

“Having grown up in a declining empire, I do not recommend it,” Ferguson said. “It’s not a lot of fun, actually, decline. To be more serious, a world in which the United States is no longer predominate is not likely to be a better world, actually.”

In what he called his “light moment,” Ferguson said, “I think there is a way out for the United States. I don’t think its over. But it all hinges on whether you can re-energize the real mainsprings of American power. And those two things are technological innovation and entrepreneurship.

“Those are the things that made the United States the greatest economy in the world and the critical question is, ‘Are we going to get it right?’ Can we revive those things in such a way that in the end we grow our way out of this hole the way the United States grew its way out of the 1970s and of course out of the 1930s?”

The Aspen Ideas Festival continues through July 11 at the Aspen Institute. Such notables as U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, and former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan are scheduled to appear.

A number of events are open to the public, but tickets were going fast on Monday through the website Aspen Show Tickets. Aspen Public Radio also plans on broadcasting a number of festival events live, including on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. and at 1 and 5 p.m.

bgs@aspendailynews.com

BabushkaLady
13th July 2010, 01:23 PM
Actually it hasn't been so Sudden. It's been a very well-planned, contolled dive. :o

Silver Rocket Bitches!
13th July 2010, 01:31 PM
This is economist speak for http://www.forum.fishgame.com/images/smilies/shtf.gif

Ponce
13th July 2010, 02:01 PM
I really don't know what to say that I haven't said before.........like someone told me......there will be no shortage of water, no shortage of food, we have plenty food and on and on and on........I see a very dark cloud coming this way and by 2015 we will all be in deep doodoo......the dollar won't buy you anything and only silver and gold will saved you.

7th trump
13th July 2010, 02:21 PM
I really don't know what to say that I haven't said before.........like someone told me......there will be no shortage of water, no shortage of food, we have plenty food and on and on and on........I see a very dark cloud coming this way and by 2015 we will all be in deep doodoo......the dollar won't buy you anything and only silver and gold will saved you.

Silver and Gold will be laid to waste.
You will either worship a fake messiah (taking the mark of the beast)to buy and sell after taking allegience to the fake or black market and work under the table.
Plain and simple!

Phoenix
13th July 2010, 02:41 PM

You will either worship a fake messiah (taking the mark of the beast)to buy and sell after taking allegience to the fake or black market and work under the table.
Plain and simple!

Actually, the Bible does not say there is a third option: one takes the Mark, or one dies (likely of starvation).

I will choose death.

7th trump
13th July 2010, 05:51 PM

Plain and simple!

Actually, the Bible does not say there is a third option: one takes the Mark, or one dies (likely of starvation).

I will choose death.

I never said there was a third option. You are either gonna take the number (which I know you have no idea what the 666 even represents) or not.
No where in the Bible does it say you are going to die if you do not take the number.
What.......did you forget theres roughly going to be 144,000 witnesses (the Elect)?
You dont even know who the 144,000 are do you? And they do not die and they never take the number either. In fact God says to satan you will not harm one hair on mine Elects or your time on earth is shortened.

You wont even know you are worshiping satan because you most likely never understood that satan is coming to play act as Jesus Christ in that hour of temptation.
Really think about it!
Do you really think satan can come to this earth murdering people in plain site and get the world to whore after him?

The Elect are not tempted during that hour of temptation (satans time on earth)...why?.....................because theres nothing to be tempted about. The Elect look at the fake messiah as an abomination while the rest of the world whores after the fake messiah (satan) beleiving= (having the number on the forehead) hes the real deal Jesus Christ.

platinumdude
13th July 2010, 06:15 PM
It talks about buy or sell, doesn't say anything about barter.

cedarchopper
13th July 2010, 08:08 PM
The article wasn't about bible verses...or Jehovah Witness teachings ;]

7th trump
13th July 2010, 08:19 PM
It talks about buy or sell, doesn't say anything about barter.

Exactly............it doesnt say you cannot accept the devil dollars as I call them in exchange for say a used good chevy 350 engine or tilling someones garden or painting someone house under the proverbial "table" or bartering.
You must not take allegience to the false messiah and worship him. Thats what satan wants.................to be worshipped like the real Christ.
The point is life will go on no different than I see people exchanging food stamp cards for fiat currency so they can buy their booze, cigs dope, next fix or what ever their fancy is.
I've been approached many times by complete strangers asking for 10 bucks for a 30.00 food stamp card at the local Aldi store so they can go get their alcohol.

7th trump
13th July 2010, 08:19 PM
The article wasn't about bible verses...or Jehovah Witness teachings ;]

Yes I know..............I appologize for trolling!
I couldnt help myself though. The collapse is very Biblical and has to happen to usher in the fake messiah who resurrects the beast that doesnt quite come to fruitation before hand.

FunnyMoney
13th July 2010, 09:17 PM
I've been approached many times by complete strangers asking for 10 bucks for a 30.00 food stamp card at the local Aldi store so they can go get their alcohol.

People have a hard time coping, regardless their situation. Those falling into "bottled spirits" are just one small example.

I don't think giving up one's individual responsibility to one's soul, mind, body and community was what we were intended to do with the gift of "free will", but figuring that out might prove to be even more difficult for most, once under duress. A "Sudden Collapse Of American Empire" would likely create a lot of duress.

FunnyMoney
13th July 2010, 09:30 PM
“I’ve just come back from China — a two-week trip there — and the thing I heard most often was, ‘You can’t lecture us about the superiority of your system anymore. We don’t need to learn anything from you about financial institutions and forget about democracy. We see where it has got you.’”

I don't think the PTB are worried at all about China. The Chinese inner party has an important seat at the table. Evil is not and never has been restricted to one race, region, religion, rule of law, or reasoning process. China will not be ahead of the game and they will not be outside of it. The matrix has no safe havens.

The problems are mounting, everywhere, and the people of China have plenty of a share. TPTB could care less how many dues you have paid in the past. Dues are to be increased, don't think prosperity is part of the plan, whatever part of the planet.

The "Sudden Collapse Of the American Empire" is only going to leave a planet much worse off. Fiat money is already everywhere. The goose is cooked, done.

...a world in which the United States is no longer predominate is not likely to be a better world, actually.

Liquid
13th July 2010, 09:52 PM
by 2015 we will all be in deep doodoo......the dollar won't buy you anything and only silver and gold will saved you.

Ponce, one thing I've admired about you is your optimism. If we make it to 2015, that would be great. That's 5 more years of prepping, right there. That's opportunity. Really, I'm just hoping we make to the end of the year. ;D

FunnyMoney
14th July 2010, 08:12 PM
Agree. Five years is overly optimistic for reasons too numerous to list.

Well, I'm not so sure. You're certainly right about the "too numerous to list" part, problems and crisis are definately not in short supply. But a collapse can be a tricky thing, dragging out much longer than a rational analysis might expect. For the American Empire, a 5 to 10 year collapse would still qualify as "sudden".

Saul Mine
15th July 2010, 05:13 AM
In what he called his “light moment,” Ferguson said, “I think there is a way out for the United States. I don’t think its over. But it all hinges on whether you can re-energize the real mainsprings of American power. And those two things are technological innovation and entrepreneurship.

Baloney. American power was energized by religion. Innovation and entrepreneurship didn't kick in for almost a hundred years. In England they do not speak of the American Revolution, they speak of the Presbyterian Rebellion, and the blame for whole thing was placed squarely on John Calvin even though he had been dead over a hundred years before it started. And every colonel in the American army was a Presbyterian elder except one. It was common for American leaders before and after the revolution to proclaim a day of prayer and fasting for imminent threats. The people were not all Christian, but they definitely were all religious.

This country was founded by religious nuts with guns.

Book
15th July 2010, 05:29 AM
In England they do not speak of the American Revolution, they speak of the Presbyterian Rebellion, and the blame for whole thing was placed squarely on John Calvin even though he had been dead over a hundred years before it started. And every colonel in the American army was a Presbyterian elder except one.

Presbyterians: End Israel aid over settlements

By PATRICK CONDON (AP) – 5 days ago

MINNEAPOLIS — Presbyterian leaders strongly backed a proposal Friday that included a call to end U.S. aid to Israel unless the country stops settlement expansions in disputed Palestinian territories.

But they said the 172-page report, which details their church's approach to issues in the Middle East, was a sincere effort to mend long-standing fractures between the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and Jewish groups.

It earned qualified praise but also criticism from pro-Israel organizations, which have long taken issue with various Presbyterian statements on Middle East peace.

Church delegates approved the report by an 82 percent vote during the church's general assembly in Minneapolis. It's meant as a comprehensive guide to the denomination's more than 2 million members on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"We feel we've brought together people who previously had trouble talking about some of these issues together," said Rev. Karen Dimon, pastor at Northminster Presbyterian Church in North Syracuse, N.Y., and chairwoman of the committee that produced the report.

Ethan Felson, vice president of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, said he still took issue with major aspects of the report, but said it contained "important signals" that could lessen long-standing tension between Presbyterians and pro-Israel Jews. He said it strengthens support for Israel's right to exist and removes comparisons of Israeli policy to apartheid.

"Concerns remain, but I have hope that authentic dialogue and better relations can come of this," Felson said.

The Anti-Defamation League said the report managed to "avoid a rupture with Jewish people, but bias against Israel continues." The Simon Wiesenthal Center said the report "takes definite sides in a complex struggle."

Linky (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hweX1xYLqTTKvNTcIO5YpU3Ca2awD9GRRJQ82)

:oo-->