PDA

View Full Version : "Governor" Paterson: Kabbalist

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 01:07 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/15/2010-07-15_govs_strung_out_wary_of_evil_forces_and_gopers_ paterson_gives_kabbalah_charm_a_s.html

Gov. Paterson turns to higher power [sic] by wearing red string kabbalah bracelet to ward off evil

BY Celeste Katz
NEWS POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 8:31 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/07/15/alg_paterson_bracelet.jpg

Gov. David Paterson is giving kabbalah charm a shot, just like Material Girl Madonna (b.).
Groll/AP

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/07/15/amd_madonna_bracelet.jpg

Devaney/WireImage

Gov. Paterson is counting on a Madonna-blessed higher power to lead him out of the mess in Albany.

The lame-duck governor has begun wearing a red string kabbalah bracelet - just like the Material Girl - in an eyebrow-raising bid to deflect ill will.

"It was explained to the governor that the red string is a symbol of protection [that] wards off problems and tribulations," Paterson spokesman Morgan Hook said.

"His attitude was that he'll take all the help he can get."

Paterson could be forgiven for turning to a little divine protection.

In the past six months he's found himself under investigation, dumped his reelection bid as a result, and wrestled with the Legislature over the state budget.

So he's apparently trying his luck with the trendy talisman favored by followers of the mystical Jewish discipline. But unlike Madonna, Demi Moore and Britney Spears, Paterson is not yet one of the devoted, a spokesman said.

"Kabbalah didn't change his life, just to be clear here," Hook said.

Either way, Paterson may not be getting all the spiritual backup he hopes for - the bracelet is customarily worn on the left wrist, while the governor is seen in photos wearing it on his right.

Paterson's spiritual shift was set in motion this spring when the Catholic-raised pol visited the Queens burial site of a venerated rabbi.

It was at the Union Field Cemetery in Ridgewood, housing the body of Rabbi Jacob Joseph, who died in 1902 and whose tomb has become a sacred site visited by thousands of Jews, that Paterson learned about the little red string.

Kabbalah followers believe that the $26 bracelet wards off the "evil eye" and brings about good fortune.

It appears to be the accessory of choice for high-profile New Yorkers facing controversy.

Yankee slugger Alex Rodriguez sported a red kabbalah string on his left wrist last year when he confessed in a TV interview to using steroids. At the time, A-Rod was linked to Madonna.

Kabbalah teachings date back 4,000 years.

According to the Kabbalah Centre's Web site, its "sages have taught that every human being is born with the potential for greatness. Kabbalah is the means for activating that potential."

The exact date Paterson began wearing the red string isn't clear, but may have been around February when he came under scrutiny for having intervened in a domestic-violence case involving his former top aide, David Johnson.

ckatz@nydailynews.com

iOWNme
15th July 2010, 03:43 PM
Kabbalah = Freemasonry = Occult = Satanic

Cebu_4_2
15th July 2010, 03:51 PM
Lucifer, God of last resort. Good will always prevail over evil, you just need to believe that and it is so. Pretty simple I think.

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 04:36 PM
Lucifer, God of last resort. Good will always prevail over evil, you just need to believe that and it is so. Pretty simple I think.

God will always prevail over evil, but not necessarily in accord with the timetable of human will or hopes. Evil is reigning pretty strong right now across our Earth. But that's not gonna last forever.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th July 2010, 05:01 PM
Oh no! A piece of red string!

Seriously, you guys are pretty well informed, and even so, I bet the detractors here don't fully know or understand what Kaballah "is". I'm not claiming I do, either. I just don't see a reason to freak out if I don't know what it is.

General responses are all well and good, but until you can tell me in specific langauge what the specific dangers lie in this practice, why do I care?

And also, the guilt by association thing is hard for me to swallow. I know a lot of the stronger posters here don't like Jewish people, but my general impression was that they didn't really like the Khazars and didn't really have a huge problem with the ancient tribe of israel. This being the case, isn't Kaballah more closely related to the Ancients than to the Khazars?

If someone could just really quickly and clearly explain what the problem is, it'd help a lot. Don't be shy about throwing metaphysical terms around, I'm quite experienced in that regard.

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 05:10 PM
isn't Kaballah more closely related to the Ancients than to the Khazars?

No, Kaballah is a product of the "elders" (authors of the Talmud) that Jesus preached against. It is from Babylon, not the Bible. The Bible proscribed such sorcery and soothsaying; penalty, death.

If someone could just really quickly and clearly explain what the problem is, it'd help a lot. Don't be shy about throwing metaphysical terms around, I'm quite experienced in that regard.

You don't have a problem with a so-called "public servant" practicing the occult while on duty?

Book
15th July 2010, 05:13 PM
If someone could just really quickly and clearly explain what the problem is, it'd help a lot.

Don't be so lazy expecting us to educate you. Read THIS EXCELLENT EDUCATIONAL WEBSITE (http://www.come-and-hear.com/navigate.html) and whatever questions remain ask all your jewish buddies.

:oo-->

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th July 2010, 05:49 PM
isn't Kaballah more closely related to the Ancients than to the Khazars?

No, Kaballah is a product of the "elders" (authors of the Talmud) that Jesus preached against. It is from Babylon, not the Bible. The Bible proscribed such sorcery and soothsaying; penalty, death.

You don't have a problem with a so-called "public servant" practicing the occult while on duty?

1st quote: That actually helps a lot. I was misinformed - knowing it comes from Babylon clears things up immensely. I can see why so many people would have problems with it - most people hate the Babylonian system whether they know it or not. I don't need to tell you that the Talmud has some nasty shit in it.

2nd quote: Of course I have a problem with him practicing any religion, evil good or otherwise while on duty. But I re-read the article and there is nothing to suggest he is doing anything beyond wearing a red string on his wrist. Also, it's bugging my OCD (edit: i found some more regarding this, left/right wrist seems to denote energy paradigm) that he's wearing it on the right wrist and everybody else in my google image search is using the left wrist. That being said, I do think it is justified for him to wear items to work, but there should be no preaching nor practicing, absolutely none. For example, I have a necklace that I never take off, but it's not like I stop in the middle of the day to pray or something. I don't even mention it to people. But I feel it is my right to attach this energetic charm to my body whether it is positive, negative, or just plain doesn't work.

As for Book, thanks for the link. Don't really know what to say about the 2nd part. If I had some IRL who could explain Kaballah to me without sounding like they're BSing, I wouldn't need to ask. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a definition of Kaballah in a thread regarding Kaballah. It just seems to me that most people don't take the time to learn the finer points of the things they condemn or support. I'm not necessarily saying you do this, because you seem very well studied.

To me, it always makes sense to learn the finer points of a system whether you are creating or destroying it. That knowledge is pretty essential to thoroughly do either. If you want to generate a discussion about this, this question was going to come from somebody. Now, to check out your link.

Book
15th July 2010, 08:16 PM
It just seems to me that most people don't take the time to learn the finer points of the things they condemn or support. I'm not necessarily saying you do this, because you seem very well studied.

Fair enough. After you study the link I posted for you, please return with your thoughtful assessment of the Talmud.

:)