PDA

View Full Version : BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well.

Ponce
15th July 2010, 01:14 PM
BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well.

NEW ORLEANS – BP says oil from its broken well has stopped gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since April.

The announcement Thursday came after company officials said all valves had been shut on a new cap over the busted well in an experiment to stop the spill.

Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT.

It was a long-awaited milestone in one of the nation's worst environmental disasters. While not a permanent solution to plug the busted well, the success in capturing the oil spewing out was welcome news.

The crisis began when BP's deepwater rig exploded, killing 11 workers.

The cap is not a permanent fix. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

Silver Rocket Bitches!
15th July 2010, 01:22 PM
Hey lookit that, BP's stock is up 8% on this great news. >:(

What a dog & pony show.

aybesee123
15th July 2010, 01:27 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnuzicJ9W7o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MnuzicJ9W7o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

platinumdude
15th July 2010, 02:03 PM
And many will die??

Plastic
15th July 2010, 02:06 PM
Watch those "relief wells" go POOOOF! just like the original, since they should have the same pressure........

Libertytree
15th July 2010, 02:08 PM
Ya can't fix the sea floor.

oldmansmith
15th July 2010, 02:10 PM
I sincerely hope that they have. However, BP has lied all the way through this thing. It would be an anomaly for them to now be telling the truth.

Ponce
15th July 2010, 02:16 PM
And many will die??

Give it time amigo, give it time......the Earth was not created in one day.

Cebu_4_2
15th July 2010, 02:18 PM
has anyone that you know seen anything at all? Anyone saw the oil, the animals or the spill? This entire thing could have been a big stock manipulation scam.

I dont trust any of them, ever!

StackerKen
15th July 2010, 03:16 PM

With all due respect, How do you know the sea floor is fractured?

Be cause Peter Schiff said so?

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it isn't.
I'm just not so sure it is.

Peter Schiff is a Politician I wouldn't belive a word out of Politician's mouth

Serpo
15th July 2010, 03:18 PM
vid with science guy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/15/gulf-oil-spill-bill-nye-e_n_647245.html

I am me, I am free
15th July 2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, and the check's in the mail too. lol

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 04:22 PM
I predict this cap will fail in totality or partially before Monday the 19th's sunrise.

"Failure" includes causing the extreme-pressure reservoir to simply force its way through the sea floor itself.

platinumdude
15th July 2010, 04:28 PM
If the caps holds, why do we need the relief wells? Eventually this pipe will burst?

Book
15th July 2010, 04:33 PM
If the caps holds, why do we need the relief wells? Eventually this pipe will burst?

http://rgr-static1.tangentlabs.co.uk/images/bau/97807868/9780786855919/0/0/plain/bill-nye-the-science-guys-great-big-book-of-science-featuring-oceans-and-dinosaurs.jpg

Sea water is corrosive to steel and that cap gizmo will rust away eventually. The relief wells will pump concrete down the pipe for a permanent seal.

:)

Libertytree
15th July 2010, 04:45 PM

What's Schiff got to do with it?

I'm sure you know that there are credible and knowledgeable people who have claimed geological damage to the sea bed, right?

StackerKen
15th July 2010, 04:54 PM

What's Schiff got to do with it?

I mentioned Schiff because i saw the youtube video someone posted a while back and he was promoting the idea.

I'm sure you know that there are credible and knowledgeable people who have claimed geological damage to the sea bed, right?

I have no doubt that others claim that.

and I believe it is a possibility.

I don't believe it is a fact

StackerKen
15th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Folks

Please don't hate me for being Hopeful and optimistic that they can fix this.

Im not being Gullible or naive

I have just lost the doom and gloom attitude I once had.

I'm not sure how or when it happened.

But I kinda like it. ;D

the riot act
15th July 2010, 05:05 PM
BP oil well is no longer leaking into the Gulf of Mexico (http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/07/well_no_longer_leaking_into_gu.html)

There was no oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico this afternoon after BP crews managed to shut in the leaking Macondo well.

http://media.nola.com/2010_gulf_oil_spill/photo/leak-stoppedjpg-e4416da6d806a570_large.jpg

The company is now conducting a "well integrity test" to determine if the well can remain closed until it can be permanently shut with cement next month.

The test will last anywhere from 6 to 48 hours, during which time scientists will measure pressure inside the well. If pressure rises and holds at 8,000 to 9,000 pounds per square inch, the well could remain closed. If it is lower than that level, however, if will be reopened and oil will be sucked, again, to vessels on the surface.

Low pressures would indicate that oil is escaping through one or more fissures in the well.

BP Vice President Kent Wells said he was "encouraged" by the development, but also trying to remain reserved until the test is complete.

"I'm very pleased that there's no oil going in the Gulf of Mexico, in fact I'm excited that there's no oil going in the Gulf of Mexico," Wells said. "Where I'm holding back my emotion is we're just starting the test. I don't want to create a false sense of excitement."

Scientists estimate that the well produces 35,000 to 60,000 barrels of oil per day.

BP had originally planned to begin the test Tuesday, but Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen announced late that day that it had been delayed by 24 hours in response to concerns about the procedure from a team of scientists, including Energy Secretary Steven Chu. The scientific team will be involved in reading and interpreting the pressure data as it becomes available.

The scientific team's initial worries were put to rest Wednesday and BP crews were given the green light to proceed with the well shut-in and integrity test.

But the test was delayed again Wednesday evening after engineers discovered a leak in the "choke line" of a new blowout preventer placed on top of the well. The choke line was to be the last of five points closed before the test began.

The leaking system was removed overnight Wednesday and replaced this morning with a back-up choke line that was already on site, the company's vice president Kent Wells said.

Oil has been leaking into the gulf since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded and sank, 50 miles off the Louisiana coast April 20. Eleven people were killed in the accident. BP operated the rig, which it leased from Transocean.

Phoenix
15th July 2010, 05:05 PM
Folks

But I kinda like it. ;D

Be happy and enjoy every day as though it might be your last...because, well, it just may be!

Libertytree
15th July 2010, 05:14 PM
Oh, didn't see that but I'd only rely on Schiff for economic Q's, not geological/oil drilling ones.

Ya know, I'm just about to the point a really not giving a fvck. If a methane, double tsunami gets me then I'll accept that and gladly meet my maker.

There's some other considerations I'm not quite so good with though.

boogietillyapuke
15th July 2010, 05:29 PM
Ya know, I'm just about to the point a really not giving a fvck. If a methane, double tsunami gets me then I'll accept that and gladly meet my maker.

It'll no doubt get me first. If that occurs, I'll try and scream real loud in your direction and give ya' a heads up. :rocket_hor

1970 silver art
15th July 2010, 05:42 PM
Folks

But I kinda like it. ;D

I hope they can can finally get this fixed but I am somewhat skeptical given BP's previous failed attempts to stop the oil spill. 87 (or is it 88?) days later they temporarely stop the oil from spilling in the gulf but I do not think we are out of the woods yet since the relief wells are not finished yet.

As for being optimistic, I like being optimistic and happy. If I ever had a doom and gloom attitude, then it did not last too long. Maybe my "Doom and Gloom" DNA is just defective to begin with and it is just FUBAR. :D

platinumdude
15th July 2010, 05:58 PM
I'm just waiting for Nibiru to arrive.

EE_
15th July 2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, riddle me this...
If the well is capped, why can't they inject the heavy drilling mud now?
Why can't it be injected very slowly, now that there is no pressure flow to blow it out?

StackerKen
15th July 2010, 06:22 PM
Okay, riddle me this...
If the well is capped, whay can't they inject the heavy drilling mud now?
Why can't it be injected very slowly, now that there is no pressure flow to blow it out?

Did you watch this video? He covers that a bit

vid with science guy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/15/gulf-oil-spill-bill-nye-e_n_647245.html