PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of former debt collectors

MNeagle
16th July 2010, 01:36 PM
Mel Harsh

I was absolutely ruthless when I first started out as a debt collector. I had a black heart.

If someone told me they only had $150 to their name this month and needed to feed their entire family of five, I would say, "I don't care, this is your fault and you owe the money. Pay it." I would even use blind threats like, "I know where you work" to intimidate them.

It was survival of the fittest, and I thought being aggressive was the only way to succeed. And then it became an addiction -- being authoritative and abrasive was like a high.

But after a while, I realized that if someone owes one person money, they owe a lot more people money and they really aren't deserving of such harsh treatment. So I changed my style and started being nicer... but I still sue people. It's part of the job.

I have one more week here and I can't wait to get out of this line of work. I'm sick of all the agony I put people through. The money was great, and I've been able to support my two daughters because of how much I bring in. But when they say to me, "Dad, I want to do what you do when I grow up," I just tell them, "No, you really don't."

9 more in slideshow: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/news/1007/gallery.debt_collectors/index.html?hpt=C2

1970 silver art
16th July 2010, 02:56 PM
WOW!!!!!! :o

I currently work as a claims processor at a health insurance company and I thought that working at a health insurance company was stressful and demanding enough but when I read this about debt collectors, then I just thought to myself that I have it really easy working at a health insurance company. Processing health insurance claims is much easier than calling (harassing) people when they are cannot make ends meet. I could NEVER be a debt collector.

Gypsybiker45
16th July 2010, 06:07 PM
I learned a while ago to tell these POS to F*** off and die, and let the judge decide. Nowadays the wont even negotiate unless you give them full access to your checking acct. screw em, go to court.

ximmy
16th July 2010, 06:11 PM
a crappy job that helps assholes become better assholes

JDRock
16th July 2010, 07:49 PM
Mel Harsh

I had a black heart.

And then it became an addiction -- being authoritative and abrasive was like a high. But after a while, I :

...and we wonder what gets under polices skin after awhile...it must be a narcotic like addiction......but maybe it helps them arrest drug addicts :oo-->

Phoenix
16th July 2010, 09:56 PM
I learned a while ago to tell these POS to F*** off and die, and let the judge decide. Nowadays the wont even negotiate unless you give them full access to your checking acct. screw em, go to court.

Better yet, don't let the "judge" decide.

File an exquisitely detailed, comprehensive Answer to Complaint, and stop them in their tracks. Especially attack their standing/who really "owns" the debt account. If there is any reason to suspect the CA ("collector") owns the debt while claiming in the Complaint they are working for the OC ("creditor"), imply fraud on their part in your Answer. Make them move on to lower-hanging fruit, and actually or effectively abandon their suit.

The rules in combating debt terrorists and fighting a military war are similar: ATTACK - ATTACK - ATTACK. Let them maneuver into position...a position where they are vulnerable, and then destroy them. Most CAs won't deal with genuine validation (preferring to move on to debtors dumb enough to sing like a canary about "how much they owe"), and many can't provide even a shred of real evidence of a valid debt (demand certified copies of all contracts , all amendments [those stupid little booklets of new rules CC holders get from time-to-time], verified accounting of [i]every penny claimed in principle, fees, and interest, etc.).

Ponce
16th July 2010, 10:07 PM
I could never be one, I would end by giving the person some money......same reason as to why I don't have any chickens or cows, they would end up as my pets instead of in my pot.

Gypsybiker45
17th July 2010, 03:36 AM

File an exquisitely detailed, comprehensive Answer to Complaint, and stop them in their tracks. Especially attack their standing/who really "owns" the debt account. If there is any reason to suspect the CA ("collector") owns the debt while claiming in the Complaint they are working for the OC ("creditor"), imply fraud on their part in your Answer. Make them move on to lower-hanging fruit, and actually or effectively abandon their suit.

The rules in combating debt terrorists and fighting a military war are similar: ATTACK - ATTACK - ATTACK. Let them maneuver into position...a position where they are vulnerable, and then destroy them. Most CAs won't deal with genuine validation (preferring to move on to debtors dumb enough to sing like a canary about "how much they owe"), and many can't provide even a shred of real evidence of a valid debt (demand certified copies of all contracts , all amendments [those stupid little booklets of new rules CC holders get from time-to-time], verified accounting of [i]every penny claimed in principle, fees, and interest, etc.).

elaborate on this please, Im not understanding how the "answer to complaint" deal works'

Cebu_4_2
17th July 2010, 05:36 AM
ring ring... hello? Who? Who is calling? I'm sorry we just got this number and we would like you to stop. Thank you.

Phoenix
17th July 2010, 02:06 PM

elaborate on this please, Im not understanding how the "answer to complaint" deal works'

The debt terrorist ("collector") files suit in court. This is called a "Complaint."

You are served with the Summons, letting you know about the Complaint's filing.

You must respond to the Summons by filing an Answer or Answer to Complaint with the court, and also serve it on the plaintiff.

If you do not, the plaintiff files for a default judgment, and you lose the entire argument, with judicial decrees issued that aren't very pleasant, against you.

Most debt terrorists go after the easy targets, presumably, usually correctly, that most defendants will not file an Answer, either due to ignorance, laziness, arrogance, and/or inability to afford the filing fee. None of these approaches/excuses are legitimate, since an Answer can be as simple as filling out a simple form, even with a simple statement such as "I dispute all claims made by the Plaintiff in its Complaint." All courts are required to have a procedure to waive filing fees for those who truly cannot afford to pay. "They won't find me" is just plain dumb, since it's easy to stop a court filing, but very difficult to fight a default judgment and consequent court orders for seizure or collection (they found you once, they'll find you again). IIRC, the typical stats for default judgments obtained by debt terrorists are 90% v. only 10% of cases where debtors defend themselves. And of that 10%, only 10% of that actually goes to a court trial. Essentially, if you're willing to do effective battle, there's only a 1% chance of having to go to a court trial over a debt (although 90% of that 10% is most often settled by agreement, i.e., pay account for less than sought, generally, but a major portion of cases are simply abandoned because the CA can't provide real proof of their claims - and some debtors also just file bankruptcy to kill the suit.).

Serpo
18th July 2010, 01:12 AM
I could never be one, I would end by giving the person some money......same reason as to why I don't have any chickens or cows, they would end up as my pets instead of in my pot.

I have that problem

Osaka
18th July 2010, 03:03 AM
I am heartless. I could do this job.

woodman
18th July 2010, 03:56 AM

You seem to be quite proud of your defect.

Osaka
18th July 2010, 05:43 AM
What defect?

woodman
18th July 2010, 05:50 AM
What defect?

My point exactly.

1970 silver art
18th July 2010, 06:02 AM
What defect?

I think that he means the following................

"Defect" = heartless

I do not have an opinion one way or the other on if being heartless is a defect.

cedarchopper
18th July 2010, 06:02 AM

You may or may not be able to in reality...it requires a thug mentality because much of the process is the use of threats. If you are good at threatening, you might have a shot at it.

I one time sold a property with unpaid 'homeowner's association assessments' that were overlooked by the title company in the transfer of title. The HA turned it over to a collection agency...they called me and the guy started threatening me with all kinds of action, I said, oh really...make your move. I told him to read out to me who owned that property...(it was a Trust with the assets already gone ;], he said, shit. I said
goodbye :]

Twisted Titan
18th July 2010, 07:04 AM
being authoritative and abrasive was like a high.

Some people acid trip daily.......

Liquid
18th July 2010, 08:00 AM
What you do, is treat debt collectors like professionals. Get one of those fancy business answering systems to answer the calls for you....

Something like, Welcome, to Liquid's Debt Servicing Department, press 1 if you are owed between $1000 and $2000, press 2 if you are owed between $2000 and $3000....and so on.

Beep. Please enter the exact amount you are owed...we're sorry, please try again, main menu, press 1 if you are owed between $1000 and $2000.

Randomly send the evil debt collectors in circles and then back to the main menu again.

You could have a speak to debt servicing representative option too. Just add an extra we're sorry, all representatives are busy at the moment, please hold and we will help you shortly. estimated wait time is 42 days. ;D