PDA

View Full Version : Google Biblical Earth: artist recreates Christian stories seen from space

Phoenix
17th July 2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7894086/Google-Biblical-Earth-artist-recreates-Christian-stories-seen-from-space.html

Google Biblical Earth: artist recreates Christian stories seen from space

An artist has recreated key scenes from the Bible such as Jesus' crucifixion and the parting of the Red Sea to show what they would have looked like from space.

Published: 11:56AM BST 16 Jul 2010

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01680/googleBiblical_1680384c.jpg

James Dive has recreated key scenes from the Bible such as Jesus' crucifixion Photo: SOLENT

The "God's eye view" re-enacts moments including Noah's Ark in the floods and Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as seen from a Google Earth style satellite.

James Dive spent more than three months painstakingly searching for suitable locations on Google Earth.

The 31 year old, from Sydney, Australia, then combined them on a computer with 3D models of iconic elements from the religious text.

Mr Dive, who is a member of Sydney based art collective The Glue Society, said: "We like to disorientate audiences a little with all our work.

"And with this piece we felt technology now allows events which may or may not have happened to be visualised and made to appear dramatically real.

"As a method of representation satellite photography is so trusted, it has been interesting to mess with that trust."

Among the startling series of images is Moses parting the Red Sea for the Israelites to cross and escape the pursuing Egyptian army.

Another picture shows Noah's Ark resting on the top of a mountains of Ararat as the waters recede after God flooded the earth to combat man's wickedness.

Adam and Eve can be seen resting in the Garden of Eden before being banished after going against God's wishes and eating fruit from the tree of knowledge.

The final image sees Jesus crucified on a cross and hanging between two convicted thieves, also on crosses.

Mr Dive said: "Luckily for me Google Earth was a great research tool.

"I had to find a hill for Jesus, a garden for Eden and a rocky mountain top surrounded by water for the ark.

"However, it wasn't that easy to find so some images are a Frankenstein of a couple of satellite images.

"For instance the Moses piece uses parts of Niagara Falls, deserts and the Red Sea.

"It is funny to note that Eden is from Belgium.

"None of the images are entirely geographically accurate, as each contains a combination of a number of satellite photos merged together.

"But there are true elements such as the Red Sea in the Moses piece."

He added: "Before replicating satellite imagery I had to learn the rules of the medium.

"For instance how shadows reveal height, how the imagery distorts when closer in and how colour varies between seasons and heights.

"I found as many satellite images of the boats as I could floating on the ocean in order to learn as much as possible when putting together the ark."

Using a pencil and paper he drew the elements he wanted to be included, such as Jesus on the cross and the ark, and contacted a 3D modelling studio to recreate his designs.

He then spent four weeks working with the designers and combining the backdrops with the 3D elements.

He said: "The reaction has been fantastic.

"The images were recently exhibited in Chicago and were regarded by critics as the highlight of the show.

"I'm aiming to create more images using the technology, but this time relating to mythological occurrences and major historical events."

ximmy
17th July 2010, 11:08 PM
found another one..

Saul Mine
18th July 2010, 07:59 AM
He ought to do his homework. The bible plainly describes FIVE crucified, not three.

Phoenix
18th July 2010, 08:45 AM
He ought to do his homework. The bible plainly describes FIVE crucified, not three.

"Then are there crucified with him two robbers, one on the right hand and one on the left."

Matthew 27:38

"And when they came unto the place which is called The skull, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand and the other on the left."

Luke 23:33

"where they crucified him, and with him two others, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst."

John 19:18

"And with him they crucify two robbers; one on his right hand, and one on his left."

Mark 15:27

Saul Mine
18th July 2010, 09:36 AM
Matthew 27
35 And when they had crucified him, they divided his garments among them by casting lots; 36 then they sat down and kept watch over him there. 37 And over his head they put the charge against him, which read, "This is Jesus the King of the Jews." 38 Then two robbers were crucified with him, one on the right and one on the left. 39 And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads 40 and saying, "You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross." 41 So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, 42 "He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him; for he said, 'I am the Son of God.'" 44 And the robbers who were crucified with him also reviled him in the same way.

1. They crucified Jesus.
2. They sat down for a while.
3. THEN they crucified two robbers, one on the right and one on the left.
4. The robbers (both) reviled him.

Luke 23
32 And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. 33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. 40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. 42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The malefactors (maybe robbers, maybe not) were led with him, the robbers were crucified later. One malefactor reviled Jesus, the other did not.

John 19
18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

The word one has been added. Check any Greek-English Interlinear New Testament. It says they crucified two others on either side and Jesus in the midst. A person is not in the midst of three; he is in the middle. You have to have at least five to be in the midst.

Some other interesting points you notice by reading closely:
* There were three signs with three different inscriptions put up at three different times.
* There were two robes, one red and one purple, Jesus was beaten twice, and there were two crowns of thorns, all done by two different groups
* Jesus was offered drink three times, in different ways, and he received each differently.