PDA

View Full Version : Demonyms

palani
19th July 2010, 07:24 AM
Sorry to report you no longer have American nationality. According to the U.S. government you are now classed a Demonym. Good luck with that.
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/stylemanual/browse.html

From ch 17 of the US Gov Printing Office Style Manual
http://i26.tinypic.com/ngx1f7.jpg

sirgonzo420
19th July 2010, 07:28 AM
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonym

A demonym, also referred to as a gentilic, is a name for a resident of a locality and is derived from the name of the particular locality.[1] The word demonym comes from the Greek word for "populace" (δῆμος demos) with the suffix for "name" (-nym). In English, the demonym is often the same as the name of the people's native language: the people of Italy are called Italian, which is also the name of their language[citation needed]. National Geographic Magazine attributes this term to Merriam-Webster editor Paul Dickson.[2] It was subsequently popularized in this sense in 1997 by Dickson in his book Labels for Locals.[3]

Dickson himself attributed the term to George H. Scheetz in What Do You Call a Person From...? A Dictionary of Resident Names (the first edition of Labels for Locals).[4] The term first appeared in Names' Names: A Descriptive and Prescriptive Onymicon by George H. Scheetz.[1]

The term is foreshadowed in demonymic, which the Oxford English Dictionary defines as the name of an Athenian citizen according to the deme to which he belonged, with first usage traced to 1893.[5][6]

The term demonym is not widely employed or known outside geographical circles and does not yet appear in mainstream dictionaries. It is used by some geographers, both online and within their studies and teaching.[7]

Some places, particularly smaller cities and towns, may not have an established word for their residents; toponymists have a particular challenge in researching these. In some countries, like Belgium and Luxembourg, there is strong tradition of "demonym-like nicknames", called blason populaire in French. In some cases, this blason populaire is frequently used as the name of the inhabitants.

palani
19th July 2010, 07:34 AM
Be cautious of ANY change as it is generally good for someone else rather than you.

Be especially cautious of any CHANGE that includes DEMON as a base as it is a short journey from the change to the root.

palani
19th July 2010, 07:38 AM
Here is ch 5 of the same manual .. concerning spelling of the nationalities of the several Countries comprising the United States federation.

http://i32.tinypic.com/246mb8w.jpg

sirgonzo420
19th July 2010, 07:40 AM
Be cautious of ANY change as it is generally good for someone else rather than you.

Be especially cautious of any CHANGE that includes DEMON as a base as it is a short journey from the change to the root.

"The word demonym comes from the Greek word for "populace" (δῆμος demos) with the suffix for "name" (-nym)."

palani
19th July 2010, 07:46 AM
"The word demonym comes from the Greek word for "populace" (δῆμος demos) with the suffix for "name" (-nym)."

Good thing I am not Greek.

sirgonzo420
19th July 2010, 07:50 AM

Good thing I am not Greek.

:D

Libertarian_Guard
19th July 2010, 07:53 AM
Palani

I have never heard anyone, with the possible exception of some politico, ever use the term New Jerseyan, when either describing themselves or someone else.

The term may be 'in the books' but it is not commonly used nor accepted without everyone who hears it wondering 'how strange'

sirgonzo420
19th July 2010, 07:58 AM
Palani

I have never heard anyone, with the possible exception of some politico, ever use the term New Jerseyan, when either describing themselves or someone else.

The term may be 'in the books' but it is not commonly used nor accepted without everyone who hears it wondering 'how strange'

Along the same lines...

Many times "Indianians" are referred to as "hoosiers", "Ohioans" as "buckeyes", and "New Jerseyans" as "assholes".

;D

silverchris
19th July 2010, 08:02 AM
ahahhaha lol :)

palani
19th July 2010, 08:12 AM
A point to be made is that nationalities apply to those in NATIONS. The NWO is all about dissolving NATIONS.

Should you go into 1930 vintage US Gov Printing Office Style Manuals you will find the NATIONALITY Palestinian. Yet that nationality has now been abolished entirely (aka genocide).

While it was only done on PAPER the results occur in the real world.

Be forewarned.

Saul Mine
19th July 2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, so, are people from Tangier called Tangerines?

Ponce
19th July 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the posting from Cubponce.......or is it Poncecub?.......or maybe Poncedemonyms?........hell, just call me Ponce.

Apparition
19th July 2010, 10:34 AM
The demonym is technically geopolitically inaccurate because the term 'American' is more specifically supposed to refer to both the North & South Americas, not just the US which is supposed to be mean the United States of America.

Some South & Central Americans feel that it is an exclusive and selfish use of the term akin to a Brit or a German labeling himself/herself as European for nationality.

Ponce
19th July 2010, 11:49 AM
I have always called North America = Nomerica

Central America = Cemerica

South America = Sumerica

Why change anything that works so perfect LOL ;D

palani
19th July 2010, 12:08 PM
Why change anything that works so perfect LOL ;D

Because if you were transported back in time 600 years and placed anywhere on this continent you might have to call it πᾶν pan "entire", and Γαῖα Gaia "Earth" or Pangea for lack of a more existent name.

http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/0/05/Pangea1.jpg

Maybe a good nationality to declare would be Pangean?

Phoenix
19th July 2010, 06:48 PM
If you are White, when asked "race/ethnicity," write down "Aryan" on all government documents to really fook with them.

"None" is an alternative.