PDA

View Full Version : I started reading the bible again

k-os
19th July 2010, 11:41 AM
My neighbor wielded his mighty chainsaw onto some sea grapes that were blocking my new (old) RV from making it into the driveway. During the 5 hours it took us to haul the carnage to the curb, we talked about religion and the bible. He is a spiritual man, and a very giving man, and I am blessed to have him as my neighbor. His wife is like a mother to me, and I can't tell you where I would be if it weren't for their help through hurricanes and other personal disasters, not to mention the many favors I've collected from them over the years, like this one.

I am not religious. I am not sure what I am. I was so impressed by my neighbor's absolute faith, and I have a very hard time believing I could ever become like that, but I admire it in a way.

So I went to my bookshelf to pull out my bible, and I found two bibles. The New American Standard Version with my name engraved on it - surely for my baptism, and another one, The Living Bible that my grandma gave to me when I became interested in the bible during the first Gulf War. I had put sticky notes on several passages in the one grandma gave me, and I found them to be quite interesting, particularly since I have absolutely no idea why I marked them at the time.

The ten commandments (I can understand why I marked that page).
Job 15:14,
How frail is man, how few his days, how full of trouble!
Job 28,
Men know how to mine silver and refine gold, to dig iron from the earth and melt copper from stone.
Proverbs 22,
If you must choose, take a good name rather than great riches; for to be held in loving esteem is better than silver and gold. The rich and the poor are alike before the Lord who made them all. A prudent man foresees the difficulty ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers consequences.

I just thought it was interesting that the ones I had marked were about doom, gold and silver, and preparedness. :)

So, I've decided that my bible is coming with me on the mystery tour, and it may end up being a spiritual journey as well as an adventure. I am open to that.

Libertarian_Guard
19th July 2010, 11:55 AM
There are very few things as important as having good neighbors.

I'm very lucky to have very good neighbors, and always have, with one exception. And that one exception was the neighbor from hell. Anyhow, good luck with reading the Bible. You may not get much from the Old Testament, but the New Testament is close and personal, if you're open to it.

philo beddoe
19th July 2010, 12:02 PM
The problem I have with indulging in the bible is that people tend to believe the bible writers are superior to all others.

http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/authors/cicero_quotes.html

here is Cicero, a Roman

Saul Mine
19th July 2010, 05:11 PM
The best single book to explain bible study is How To Enjoy The Bible by E.W. Bullinger. It's a free download (http://philologos.org/%5F%5Feb%2Dhtetb/) or you can get a hard copy at any bible book store.

G2Rad
19th July 2010, 07:09 PM
those ain't Bibles.

KumbayaMan
19th July 2010, 07:37 PM
those ain't Bibles.

So which of the KJV should we be looking for? (seriously) I just started reading too.
I thought NASB was good too.... :conf:

Saul Mine
19th July 2010, 09:32 PM
those ain't Bibles.

So which of the KJV should we be looking for? (seriously) I just started reading too.

There are several answers to that question. Each of the different versions was prepared for one or another group's preferred interpretations, with one exception: the KJV was prepared by a committee from several churches acting on orders from King James to compile a bible as free as possible from interpretations. Even at that the Catholics could not agree with the rest of the group, so they ended up with two versions, King James Version and Revised Standard Version. The KJV puts the RSV renderings in the center column, and the RSV puts the KJV renderings in the center column. All other versions were prepared to support interpretations favored by a particular denomination, and comparing different versions will expose those differences. Regardless of which version you prefer for reading, you still need a KJV for study, mainly because all the reference materials are based on that version.

Suppose you have located some difference between versions and you would like to know which one to believe. There are several principles that can be applied to clarify the meanings. First you would want to look up the words in an English dictionary to make sure you understand what the passage says in English. It's amazing how often that alone will clear up the confusion. But suppose a word is translated differently in the various versions, and you need to know which translation is correct. Then you use your concordance to look up all usages of the Greek word, and all the different translations. If a word is not translated the same way every time it appears, that is a good sign that it was not understood by translators.

Another very helpful reference is the Greek-English Interlinear Translation. There are several brands available. This will show you where words have been added or deleted while translating, or where the form of the word was changed in translation. Looking through this book you will soon understand why it is impossible to translate directly from Greek into English. That is why we have versions but not translations: translation means an equivalent English word for every Greek word. As soon as you start reworking the words to turn them into proper English you have a version, and somebody else could rework the words differently to get a different meaning.

So don't worry about which version. You will need to consult several to get a clear understanding. Read whichever one you prefer, or even a Parallel Bible with four versions side by side. And of course your dictionary and concordance and Interlinear near by.

Sparky
19th July 2010, 09:34 PM
I'd use the "thumbs up" emoticon right here, if there was one. Good for you K. And it was inspired by someone else's faith and example. Good for them. :)

Sparky
19th July 2010, 09:40 PM
those ain't Bibles.

The New KJV is my favorite, because it maintains the integrity and the inspirational language of the original, without the cumbersome Old English pronouns. Dignified and readable.

Horn
19th July 2010, 09:54 PM
I quit reading GIM back in April, now I just rehash a couple of old posts on GSUS once or twice a week.

StackerKen
19th July 2010, 10:15 PM
That's Good News K-os and KumbayaMan :)

Gospel
From Wikipedia,
gospel (from Old English, gōd spell cf Germanic gut + speil "good news") :D

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He make His face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you.
May He lift up His countenance upon you,
and give you peace.
~ Numbers 6: 24-26

messianicdruid
20th July 2010, 09:48 AM
You were reading the Word written on your neighbor's hearts. This has inspired you to have the Word written on your own heart. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and the door will be opened unto you: For everyone that asks, receives; and he that seeks, finds; and to him that knocks, it shall be opened."

http://www.gods-kingdom-ministries.org/COLDFUSION/booklet.cfm?PID=15

philo beddoe
20th July 2010, 09:55 AM

Gospel
From Wikipedia,

and be gracious to you.
and give you peace.
Numbers is not from the gospel. The value system taught in the jewish testament is completely different from the account of Jesus life.

StackerKen
20th July 2010, 10:30 AM

Gospel
From Wikipedia,

and be gracious to you.
and give you peace.
Numbers is not from the gospel. The value system taught in the jewish testament is completely different from the account of Jesus life.

I knew that Philo

Thanks though.

I quoted that passage because that was my wish for K-os and KumbayaMan and everyone

May the Lord bless you and keep you too :)

illumin19
20th July 2010, 03:59 PM
Just have an open heart and mind when reading......and a prayer before won't hurt. 8)

The TaNaKh/Old Testament has alot of "stuff" that seems irrelevant at times to most, but when you get down to the "nitty-gritty" deep study........that's where it's all at, so to speak.

The reason is because the New Testament and the Qu'ran both speak of the older "books" (Torah,Psalms etc.) and it's foretelling of both of them. Also both draw/retell of the past also.

I know alot here will not agree with me on the Qu'ran part but, that's ok and another thread. :)
Peace

Phoenix
21st July 2010, 01:49 AM
those ain't Bibles.

The King James Version is always the preferred English version, but the NASB is a good choice for general reading. BE HAPPY SHE'S READING IT!

Phoenix
21st July 2010, 01:50 AM

The "Jewish Testament" is called the Babylonian Talmud.

The Old Testament is one-half of the CHRISTIAN Bible.

Horn
21st July 2010, 01:13 PM
So, I've decided that my bible is coming with me on the mystery tour, and it may end up being a spiritual journey as well as an adventure. I am open to that.

Sounds like a Denzel Washington movie... ;D

You're going west, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODOy2dGMBhM

Grad
22nd July 2010, 09:26 AM
The King James Version is always the preferred English version, but the NASB is a good choice for general reading. BE HAPPY SHE'S READING IT!

Yes, it is a good choice if you are a homosexual:

Grad
22nd July 2010, 09:34 AM
It is a good choice if you don't want to believe in Virgin Birth of Christ

Grad
22nd July 2010, 09:39 AM
It is a good choice if you don't wish to believe in the resurrection

Grad
22nd July 2010, 09:49 AM
It is good, Satanic version for those who would not believe deity of Jesus or the Trinity

ximmy
22nd July 2010, 09:52 AM
Four posts.. 4 anti Jimmys...
Ximy hereby knights thee "Grad"... Defender of the Faith...
http://forums.artofwarcentral.com/images/smilies/knight.gif

StackerKen
22nd July 2010, 12:05 PM
Grad I agree KJV is best.
But I have read NIV for years cause Old English is hard for me to read.

I am Not a Homo

I do Not deny the deity of Jesus or the Trinity

I believe in the resurrection

I believe in Virgin Birth of Christ

So reading another translation has Not caused me to stumble on those points

Just sayin

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 12:13 PM

Do you want her to read the Bible, or not? Not everyone can handle the King James Version.

If we point out the errors in the KJV, do you then default back to the original languages only?

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 12:15 PM
It is good, Satanic version for those who would not believe deity of Jesus or the Trinity

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

John 1:1-3 (NASB77)

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 12:17 PM
It is a good choice if you don't wish to believe in the resurrection

Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. 2 And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. 3 And his appearance was like lightning, and his garment as white as snow; 4 and the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men. 5 And the angel answered and said to the women, "Do not be afraid; for I know that you are looking for Jesus who has been crucified. 6 "He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying. 7 "And go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead; and behold, He is going before you into Galilee, there you will see Him; behold, I have told you."

Matt 28:1-7 (NASB77)

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 12:20 PM

Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; 5 and they called to Lot and said to him, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them."

Gen 19:4-5 (NASB77)

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 12:22 PM
http://forums.artofwarcentral.com/images/smilies/knight.gif

Defender of the Faith, or defender of the Idol?

Satan needs no better allies than those who turn souls away from Christ by insisting that "only" this version is legitimate, or "only" this denomination is "really Christian." There are true Christians who read the abominable "the Message" version, and there are true Christians in the Catholic or Mormon churches. Also, there are many Satanists who only read and quote the KJV, and there are many Satanists in "conservative" churches.

sirgonzo420
22nd July 2010, 01:36 PM

Do you want her to read the Bible, or not? Not everyone can handle the King James Version.

If we point out the errors in the KJV, do you then default back to the original languages only?

Yeah, if you want to get serious about it.

Hell, I'm not even a "christian" per se but I've read the bible (KJV) and have probably read more in the original languages (to the best of my ability) than many "christians".

For some reason when I first got a copy of Strong's Concordance, I was like a little kid in a candy shop - perhaps it's because I enjoy languages and history and literature in general, but at any rate I get a lot of satisfaction in being able to look up any given english word in the KJV and compare it to the original greek or hebrew word.

K-os, I recommend a KJV Bible and a copy of Strong's Concordance.

This is coming from a spiritual, but not religious man.

Phoenix
22nd July 2010, 02:20 PM

Yeah, if you want to get serious about it.

Hell, I'm not even a "christian" per se but I've read the bible (KJV) and have probably read more in the original languages (to the best of my ability) than many "christians".

For some reason when I first got a copy of Strong's Concordance, I was like a little kid in a candy shop - perhaps it's because I enjoy languages and history and literature in general, but at any rate I get a lot of satisfaction in being able to look up any given english word in the KJV and compare it to the original greek or hebrew word.

K-os, I recommend a KJV Bible and a copy of Strong's Concordance.

This is coming from a spiritual, but not religious man.

All things considered, I will always recommend the King James Version first. If there is hesitation, then I offer them an inferior but more "readable" (for them) version. I regard the ESV, NASB, and NIV as acceptable versions for the less "scholarly" reader.

I got my first Strong's at 17, and felt the same way!

LuckyStrike
22nd July 2010, 07:28 PM
Depending on various time in my life various books of the Bible did it for me. A few years back it was Job, the guy has EVERYTHING go wrong and get destroyed, his family killed worse than anything we could face in a SHTF scenario and what is his response?

Job 1:20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,
Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
Job 1:22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Faith like that is incredible and hard to fathom.

Another of my favorite books is Ecclesiastes. I use this a lot talking to people my age. Here you have a King, who has everything he could ever desire, more money than you could ever make, more women than you could ever do, more land they we could ever amass etc. And all of that doesn't fulfill. Some people work their whole lives to just get more, more money, more gold, more land, more women, more toys and in the end it just doesn't satisfy. If I'm thankful for anything I'm thankful I learned that lesson early on. Sadly most of my friends haven't.

The good news of Ecclesiastes is it tells you what does satisfy. I'll vouch for it too. ;)

Sparky
22nd July 2010, 10:29 PM
I agree, I came to enjoy Ecclesiastes as an adult. And it's a short read!

G2Rad
23rd July 2010, 07:28 AM

G2Rad
23rd July 2010, 07:48 AM

ximmy
23rd July 2010, 08:35 AM
I didn't know that was you G2... thought it was just some noob... ;)

My view would be that the Holy Spirit could still guide a seeker to truth by reading a bible... regardless of how poor some translation may seem... even a paraphrase, my first was the Living Bible (paraphrase)... then again, look how poor I turned out... LOL...

Sparky
23rd July 2010, 11:49 AM
ximmy makes a good point...

StackerKen
23rd July 2010, 12:06 PM
Grad; So you think that by reading the wrong translation we can be lead down the wrong path?
What about Gods will?
What about Predestination?

Ephesians 1:5 (King James Version)
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

And I give unto them eternal life;
and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
John 10:28

Please consider that it is God who:

- draws people to Himself (John 6:44,65).
- creates a clean heart (Psalm 51:10).
- appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48).
- works faith in the believer (John 6:28-29).
- chooses who is to be holy and blameless (Eph. 1:4).
- chooses us for salvation (2 Thess. 2:13-14).
- grants the act of believing (Phil. 1:29).
- grants repentance (2 Tim. 2:24-26).
- calls according to His purpose (2 Tim. 1:9).
- causes us to be born again (1 Pet. 1:3).
- predestines us to salvation (Rom. 8:29-30).
- predestines us to adoption (Eph. 1:5).
- predestines us according to His purpose (Eph. 1:11).
- makes us born again not by our will but by His will (John 1:12-13).

It is man who:

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9).
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23).
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19).
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1).
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

I think it all comes down to Humbling yourself and asking for God's Guidance

With out God leading us, we would never find "The Way"

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Just sayin :)

Phoenix
23rd July 2010, 01:11 PM

Defender of the Faith, or defender of the Idol?

Satan needs no better allies than those who turn souls away from Christ by insisting that "only" this version is legitimate, or "only" this denomination is "really Christian." There are true Christians who read the abominable "the Message" version, and there are true Christians in the Catholic or Mormon churches. Also, there are many Satanists who only read and quote the KJV, and there are many Satanists in "conservative" churches.

in another words, you are saying there are a lot of ways to God (?)

Absolutely not. I am saying there IS only one way, and it's not dependent upon a specific translation or a specific denomination of "church."

Please also note that your understanding of "really Christian Mormon" may be ... subjective ;) .

John 3:16 lays out the requirements (all of them!) to be a Christian.

G2Rad
24th July 2010, 08:52 AM

Phoenix
25th July 2010, 05:35 PM
What is basis for faith? Evidence.

Faith based on evidence is no longer faith.

Saul Mine
25th July 2010, 07:14 PM

Excuse me, that is total bs. Christianity has always been based on documented evidence.

If you look up the word you will find that faith simply means belief of the evidence. It is the same Greek word. (In the old testament, faith was used in the context of faithfulness, not belief.)

StackerKen
25th July 2010, 09:08 PM
creation is full of evidence of a creator

Book of Nature tells us a lot

One of Millions of examples is the Zebra

Take the stripes on a zebra for instance.....Do you know how useful those stripes are?

There is no way that could have happened with out a Intelligent designer

a few facts

I couldn't find (online)
one of the interesting facts I learn recently. So I will have to try to explain it myself.

Zebras live in a very hot environment most of the time.
The Black Stripes absorb light (heat) and white stripes no so much...this creates a sort of breeze over their skin...and it keeps them cooler than a solid color would.

The rest below I copy and pasted...lol

The strip pattern on every zebra is unique.

To humans, a zebra's stripes stick out like a sore thumb, so it's hard to imagine that the stripes act as camouflage. Zoologists believe stripes offer zebras protection from predators in a couple of different ways.

The first is as simple pattern-camouflage, much like the type the military uses in its fatigue design . The wavy lines of a zebra blend in with the wavy lines of the tall grass around it. It doesn't matter that the zebra's stripes are black and white and the lines of the grass are yellow, brown or green, because the zebra's main predator, the lion, is colorblind. The pattern of the camouflage is much more important than its color, when hiding from these predators. If a zebra is standing still in matching surroundings, a lion may overlook it completely.

So do zebra stripes confuse zebras as much as they confuse lions? Oddly enough, while making zebras indistinguishable to other animals, zebra stripes actually help zebras recognize one another. Stripe patterns are like zebra fingerprints: Every zebra has a slightly different arrangement. Zoologists believe this is how zebras distinguish who's who in a zebra herd. This certainly has significant benefits. A zebra mare and her foal can keep track of each other in the large herd, for example, and a zebra can very quickly distinguish its own herd from another. This also helps human researchers, because it enables them to track particular zebras in the wild.

Recently, zoologists have found that the disruptive colouration of the stripes can effect the visual system of the Tsetse fly, a blood sucking insect. There is experimental evidence for this theory, it is however a little limited.

Alternative theories are concerned with stripes coinciding with fat patterns beneath the skin. This would serve as a thermoregulatory mechanism for the zebra, meaning that the stripe allow the zebra to control their body temperature.

more zebra facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra

KumbayaMan
26th July 2010, 03:14 PM
creation is full of evidence of a creator

Book of Nature tells us a lot

One of Millions of examples is the Zebra

Take the stripes on a zebra for instance.....Do you know how useful those stripes are?

There is no way that could have happened with out a Intelligent designer

a few facts

I couldn't find (online)
one of the interesting facts I learn recently. So I will have to try to explain it myself.

Zebras live in a very hot environment most of the time.
The Black Stripes absorb light (heat) and white stripes no so much...this creates a sort of breeze over their skin...and it keeps them cooler than a solid color would.

The rest below I copy and pasted...lol

The strip pattern on every zebra is unique.

To humans, a zebra's stripes stick out like a sore thumb, so it's hard to imagine that the stripes act as camouflage. Zoologists believe stripes offer zebras protection from predators in a couple of different ways.

The first is as simple pattern-camouflage, much like the type the military uses in its fatigue design . The wavy lines of a zebra blend in with the wavy lines of the tall grass around it. It doesn't matter that the zebra's stripes are black and white and the lines of the grass are yellow, brown or green, because the zebra's main predator, the lion, is colorblind. The pattern of the camouflage is much more important than its color, when hiding from these predators. If a zebra is standing still in matching surroundings, a lion may overlook it completely.

So do zebra stripes confuse zebras as much as they confuse lions? Oddly enough, while making zebras indistinguishable to other animals, zebra stripes actually help zebras recognize one another. Stripe patterns are like zebra fingerprints: Every zebra has a slightly different arrangement. Zoologists believe this is how zebras distinguish who's who in a zebra herd. This certainly has significant benefits. A zebra mare and her foal can keep track of each other in the large herd, for example, and a zebra can very quickly distinguish its own herd from another. This also helps human researchers, because it enables them to track particular zebras in the wild.

Recently, zoologists have found that the disruptive colouration of the stripes can effect the visual system of the Tsetse fly, a blood sucking insect. There is experimental evidence for this theory, it is however a little limited.

Alternative theories are concerned with stripes coinciding with fat patterns beneath the skin. This would serve as a thermoregulatory mechanism for the zebra, meaning that the stripe allow the zebra to control their body temperature.

more zebra facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/268_26_07_10_3_11_46.jpeg

Thanks Cliff.... ;)

;D ;D ;D

StackerKen
26th July 2010, 03:16 PM
:) KumbayaMan; I lol a bit...But...I don't get it :-\
???

ximmy
26th July 2010, 03:43 PM
Nuh-uh... The Zebra saw the striped tiger and thought he looked cool... then pondered, "I shall be such as thee"... and behold... 60 billion evolution years later... it was thus...

KumbayaMan
26th July 2010, 03:53 PM
???

Ken - If you remember, Cliff always went off on a tangent about 'obscure' information and details, etc...

I just found it funny you bring up all this info on Zebras and all... ;D

Probably just my warped sense of humor ya know... :P

StackerKen
26th July 2010, 04:00 PM
???

Ken - If you remember, Cliff always went off on a tangent about 'obscure' information and details, etc...

I just found it funny you bring up all this info on Zebras and all... ;D

Probably just my warped sense of humor ya know... :P

Ohhh OK ;D

I don't usally do that. But I saw a show the other night bout zebras and was fascinated by them. ;)

and it seems like strong evidence of intelligent design

I don't think Mammals have been around that long.... certainly not billions of years :-\

Heimdhal
26th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Nuh-uh... The Zebra saw the striped tiger and thought he looked cool... then pondered, "I shall be such as thee"... and behold... 60 billion evolution years later... it was thus...

Perseverance is a strong and admiral trait in any animal. All Hail the persistant and mighty zebra.

One must wonder, however, what kinda messed up shit the platypus must of have seen.

Horn
26th July 2010, 05:00 PM
Where'd k-os go?

Large Sarge
26th July 2010, 05:05 PM
Where'd k-os go?

not sure, but I think she got her camper, and was going mobile

Heimdhal would likely know more.

hope all is well with you k-os and stay safe

Heimdhal
26th July 2010, 05:19 PM
Where'd k-os go?

not sure, but I think she got her camper, and was going mobile

Heimdhal would likely know more.

hope all is well with you k-os and stay safe

I havent talked to her in a few days, but I think shes still pretty tied up with a few work projects and getting things in order regarding her RV and upcoming trip. She hasnt left yet though, I think shes still got a few weeks, but Im sure shell make an announcment when she does. ;)

Desolation LineTrimmer
26th July 2010, 06:55 PM
The problem with Xstianity is that it took virility out of Western spirituality.

Sparky
26th July 2010, 08:22 PM
The problem with Xstianity is that it took virility out of Western spirituality.

I'm a Christian. I'll kick your ass.

TPTB
27th July 2010, 05:18 AM
I havent talked to her in a few days, but I think shes still pretty tied up with a few work projects and getting things in order regarding her RV and upcoming trip. She hasnt left yet though, I think shes still got a few weeks, but Im sure shell make an announcment when she does. Wink

Searching for K-os.

Could this be K-os and her little chihuahua's ??? ;D

Desolation LineTrimmer
27th July 2010, 06:20 AM

I carry a gun so be careful with that. ;D

I wasn't saying that all Christians are weak and submissive, just that the doctrine is. Christianity makes a fetish of "goodness". It is a pacifist religion in a rough and tumble world. Christian values are basically feminine values. Christianity has wormed its way into the western soul and given birth to secular trends like liberalism, with its hand-wringing over-concern for morality. Not that morality is bad, just that liberalism makes a fetish of it. This is the reason western man is so easily intimidated by labels like "racism". Call the average white man a racist, for instance, and he shrivels up inside, because what the label means is, he is not "good". Western man today will sell himself into slavery just so long as no one calls him "bad".

Phoenix
27th July 2010, 01:21 PM

Excuse me, that is total bs. Christianity has always been based on documented evidence.

If you look up the word you will find that faith simply means belief of the evidence. It is the same Greek word. (In the old testament, faith was used in the context of faithfulness, not belief.)

More Orwellian "definitions" from you.

G4102 connotes no "belief in documented evidence." The modern English term is no different.

That was the lesson of Thomas, he wouldn't believe until he saw. His fellows believed before they saw. It's easy to believe when one sees; what virtue is there in that?

Phoenix
27th July 2010, 01:25 PM

That's absolute garbage. Without Christians like Charles Martel or Jan Sobieski, you wouldn't be a White man, nor speaking an Aryan language, today.

Judaism took the virility out of Western spirituality. It has culminated in the satanic, impotent abomination known as "Judeo-Christianity."

Horn
27th July 2010, 02:05 PM

I carry a gun so be careful with that. ;D

I wasn't saying that all Christians are weak and submissive, just that the doctrine is. Christianity makes a fetish of "goodness". It is a pacifist religion in a rough and tumble world. Christian values are basically feminine values. Christianity has wormed its way into the western soul and given birth to secular trends like liberalism, with its hand-wringing over-concern for morality. Not that morality is bad, just that liberalism makes a fetish of it. This is the reason western man is so easily intimidated by labels like "racism". Call the average white man a racist, for instance, and he shrivels up inside, because what the label means is, he is not "good". Western man today will sell himself into slavery just so long as no one calls him "bad".

I kinda feel'ya here Desolation, the nuevo Xtianity is even more so passive than its older catholic stint.

Catholics were trained to at least heavily use the confessional after their deeds, these days you can't find an Xtian able to breech it. ;D

Phoenix
27th July 2010, 03:16 PM
Christian values are basically feminine values.

"And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables."

John 2:15

Anyone who thinks "speak softly and carry a big stick" is "effeminate" is a warmonger and/or a child in mind. When peace is possible, a real man, who cares for the current & future generation, will always desire peace.

If Odinism was still the religion of "the West," by now <a href="http://www.seidh.org/articles/sex-status-seidh.html"> Odin would be porking Thor in the ass</a>, <a href="http://asatruq.tripod.com/">Freyja and Idun would be taco-munchers</a>, <a href="http://www.comicvine.com/news/idris-elba-cast-as-heimdall-in-thor-movie/139825/">Heimdahl would be a Negro</a>, carrying battleaxes would be a crime, and sailing the seas would be replaced by watching <a href="http://www.aren.org/prison/documents/Asatru/RaceReligion.pdf">blond Valkyries cavorting with "heroic" Skraelings</a> in a magic box.

Well, basically, the same degeneracy we have now.

Attributing to true Christianity the degeneracy of the Aryan race is just stupid. Millions of good men of Christian faith precede us. Our failings are ours alone, not theirs.

StackerKen
27th July 2010, 03:22 PM
It is a pacifist religion in a rough and tumble world. Christian values are basically feminine values.

Line trimmer :It seems you know nothing about Christian values.

You will find out how "effeminate" Christ is when he returns.

You will be crying like a little girl

Heimdhal
27th July 2010, 04:43 PM
Christian values are basically feminine values.

If Odinism was still the religion of "the West," by now <a href="http://www.seidh.org/articles/sex-status-seidh.html"> Odin would be porking Thor in the ass</a>, <a href="http://asatruq.tripod.com/">Freyja and Idun would be taco-munchers</a>, <a href="http://www.comicvine.com/news/idris-elba-cast-as-heimdall-in-thor-movie/139825/">Heimdahl would be a Negro</a>, carrying battleaxes would be a crime, and sailing the seas would be replaced by watching <a href="http://www.aren.org/prison/documents/Asatru/RaceReligion.pdf">blond Valkyries cavorting with "heroic" Skraelings</a> in a magic box.

I'd be what????

But, in all seriousness. the true study of Asatru and of the Norse people will lead one to find many similarities with traditional American values, not the perverted and distored ones we currently have in this country. Property rights, freedom, honor, faithfullness, all of these were true Nordic (and germanic) principles. Hollywood has simply got ahold of it and made it into some unrecognizable beast.

Granted, its not without its darker side as well. ;)

LuckyStrike
27th July 2010, 06:59 PM

IDK what Bible you read from but it ain't mine. Perhaps you are taking the judeo "christians" word for it that Jesus was some laid back hippy, who loves everybody.

Contrast this heresy with actual Scripture and a different picture comes into focus

Num 25:6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
Num 25:7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;
Num 25:8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.
Num 25:9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.
Num 25:10 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Num 25:11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.
Num 25:12 Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace:
Num 25:13 And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

Or

Psa 137:7 Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase it, rase it, even to the foundation thereof.
Psa 137:8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
Psa 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones (infants) against the stones.

Now is not the time of action though like it was for us then in the "Old Testament" I think it is best summed up by the parable of the wheat and tares.

The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
Mat 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
Mat 13:26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
Mat 13:27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
Mat 13:28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
Mat 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

The time in which these tares are going to be bundled and BURNED is coming brother, just wait for it.

Heimdhal
27th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Im suprised no one quoted Luke, Chapter 22

He [Jesus] said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

If this old pagan has to point things out to yall.....

(ah, ya know Im just kidding!) :D :D :D

ximmy
27th July 2010, 07:51 PM

He [Jesus] said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

If those old pagan has to point things out to yall.....

Jesus did NOT carry a purse!!! >:( ;D

Heimdhal
27th July 2010, 07:53 PM

You're right, it was a european carry all! ;D :o

LuckyStrike
27th July 2010, 08:02 PM

Your a pagan?

ximmy
27th July 2010, 08:09 PM

Your a pagan?

P.A.G.A.N.
PEOPLE AGAINST GOODNESS AND NORMALCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIm8qNirTOk

StackerKen
27th July 2010, 08:29 PM

Your right Ximmy

Jesus kept his money in a fish

Matthew 17:27

Horn
27th July 2010, 10:18 PM

Your right Ximmy

Huh, I would have thunk he a vegan?

StackerKen
28th July 2010, 08:55 AM

Your right Ximmy

Huh, I would have thunk he a vegan?

Nope.

I think Jesus liked Barbecued fish

John 21:8-10
:)

Horn
30th July 2010, 10:03 AM
Does k-os dig the sushi? <---off topic

k-os
31st July 2010, 06:29 PM
I expected to be told that my bible wasn't the correct bible. What I didn't expect was how far this thread would go.

Thanks, Phoenix, for saying the things I would have said if I was here to say them. Like . . . shouldn't we be happy I'm reading the bible, and not quibble over which version it is?

StackerKen
31st July 2010, 06:47 PM
I'm happy you are reading what ever version you are reading K-os

And if you can handle old English you may want to eventually get a KJ :)

k-os
31st July 2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks, StackerKen. Y'all can save up for my birthday next year and give me whatever bible you'd like. ;D

Edit: How did my karma get out of whack in the negative while I was gone?

StackerKen
31st July 2010, 07:02 PM
OK :)

Yeah that karma thing...There is some crazy smiters here aparently :-\

k-os
31st July 2010, 07:08 PM
OK :)

Yeah that karma thing...There is some crazy smiters here aparently :-\

Well now I know for sure that there are some people who just dish out smites for nothing. Or perhaps hold a grudge from some distant post. Either way, it makes me feel better knowing that.

Horn
31st July 2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks, StackerKen. Y'all can save up for my birthday next year and give me whatever bible you'd like. ;D

Is what happens when you start associating with the thumpers. :ROFL:

It wasn't me, honest it wasn't.

Phoenix
31st July 2010, 08:46 PM
I expected to be told that my bible wasn't the correct bible. What I didn't expect was how far this thread would go.

Thanks, Phoenix, for saying the things I would have said if I was here to say them. Like . . . shouldn't we be happy I'm reading the bible, and not quibble over which version it is?

You are quite welcome! The Word is Jesus Christ, not words printed on paper. Learn about the Word however you are guided.

God bless you in your travels within the Bible, and across the land!

Phoenix
31st July 2010, 08:49 PM

If you are interested, you can get a King James Version, paperback, for free from the Mormons. You might have to listen to them a couple of hours, but they're all very nice young men with manners (occasionally, you'll get two young women missionaries instead). You might even like what you hear! (I am NOT a Mormon, though my wife was, and her mom still is - they are, as you may know, the world's foremost experts on emergency preparedness, too).

G2Rad
1st August 2010, 11:14 AM

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st August 2010, 11:38 AM
It is a pacifist religion in a rough and tumble world. Christian values are basically feminine values.

I would rather your avenging Christ had showed a little fight when the Romans and Jews were nailing him to the cross. Instead he left his followers with a pathetic example to follow.

Horn
1st August 2010, 11:40 AM

I would rather your avenging Christ had showed a little fight when the Romans and Jews were nailing him to the cross. Instead he left his followers with a pathetic example to follow.

Big Bad Wolf meets Bob Marley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABBBtXYGwHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgWUnuB6quc

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st August 2010, 11:43 AM

I would rather your avenging Christ had showed a little fight when the Romans and Jews were nailing him to the cross. Instead he left his followers with a pathetic example to follow: don't fret defeat in this world as your reward will be in the next.

StackerKen
1st August 2010, 11:45 AM

He could have raised up an army. But he didn't because Chose to die.(for us)

Christ Laid down his life...No one took it from him

But He will be back :)

Phoenix
1st August 2010, 01:15 PM

You obviously know nothing of the story and purpose of Jesus Christ's earthly mission.

I prescribe Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ for your first lesson.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

John 15:13

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st August 2010, 01:30 PM

He could have raised up an army. But he didn't because Chose to die.(for us)

Christ Laid down his life...No one took it from him

But He will be back :)

Yes, Christ was a pacifist because he looked beyond this world to a world to come. It is not a very good example to put before a community of people in this hard world. Many religions have a martial component, in fact most do. Christianity and Buddhism are the two that are pacifist. Look at the pathetic performance of the Tibetans against the practical politics of the Chinese. It is similar to the pathetic performance of Europeans in the face of massive Muslim emigration into their former lands, The European reward will be in heaven, while the Muslims take Europe. The really pathetic thing is Europeans no longer even believe in heaven. They will get nothing but a fuzzy feeling (temporarily), and subjection as the reward for their prickly consciences.

G2Rad
2nd August 2010, 05:13 AM

G2Rad
2nd August 2010, 05:44 AM

Desolation LineTrimmer
2nd August 2010, 08:49 AM
Yes, Christ was a pacifist

Careful, you are saying, the way to make somebody love you in the hart is to bit him up.

Do you really think Christ was supposed to establish reign of terror to win victim's "harts and minds" with a sword?

That would be the Muslim's way. For Muslims it does not matter what you thing inside of your head as long as you proclaim with your mouth Allah is god and Mohamed is his prophet.

--------

Well standing up for yourself may seem a "reign of terror" to you, but it doesn't seem so to me.

G2Rad
3rd August 2010, 09:41 AM

Sparky
3rd August 2010, 09:58 AM
Back to the OP, I'll bet K-os' motivation had a lot more to do with her neighbor's expression of faith, rather then his intricate discernment of biblical details and their implications. Be careful not to lose sight of that. There is an appropriate place for your debate, but to someone looking for Christian witness to help guide a spiritual path, your debate here comes across as petty bickering, and serves more as a turn-off than as encouragement.

Phoenix
3rd August 2010, 10:55 AM
Yes, Christ was a pacifist because he looked beyond this world to a world to come. It is not a very good example to put before a community of people in this hard world.

"Pacifists" do not tell their followers to buy swords: Luke 22:36

while the Muslims take Europe.

CHRISTIANS stopped the Muslim flood centuries ago.

k-os
3rd August 2010, 11:39 AM
Back to the OP, I'll bet K-os' motivation had a lot more to do with her neighbor's expression of faith, rather then his intricate discernment of biblical details and their implications. Be careful not to lose sight of that. There is an appropriate place for your debate, but to someone looking for Christian witness to help guide a spiritual path, your debate here comes across as petty bickering, and serves more as a turn-off than as encouragement.

You're right, Sparky. It was my neighbor's faith that inspired me to begin reading the bible again. I won't stop reading now because of the bickering, but it is a put off.

I appreciate a good debate. If I didn't I probably would have quit GSUS/GIM a long time ago. But I am always amazed at how much we can all agree on most heavy subjects, yet have passionately angry debates about smaller details.

I don't know if Christ was a pacifist, or if he was, if that's even a bad thing. (Sorry to any Christian war monger friends I may have out there). I am most interested in Christ's message of love, forgiveness and charity.

StackerKen
3rd August 2010, 11:47 AM
I don't think all of the discussions should be seen as "bickering"

Talking about stuff can be quite helpful in the learning process

Proverbs 27:17
King James Bible
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Jusy sayin :)

Phoenix
3rd August 2010, 03:55 PM
Christian war monger

There is no such thing as a "Christian war monger."

A Christian prefers peace, and works to all ends to achieve it, but is ready for war, because evil is afoot in this world. Luke 22:36

k-os
3rd August 2010, 03:57 PM
Christian war monger

There is no such thing as a "Christian war monger."

A Christian prefers peace, and works to all ends to achieve it, but is ready for war, because evil is afoot in this world. Luke 22:36

I can dig that. I am preparing.

Desolation LineTrimmer
3rd August 2010, 07:49 PM

You're right, Sparky. It was my neighbor's faith that inspired me to begin reading the bible again. I won't stop reading now because of the bickering, but it is a put off.

I appreciate a good debate. If I didn't I probably would have quit GSUS/GIM a long time ago. But I am always amazed at how much we can all agree on most heavy subjects, yet have passionately angry debates about smaller details.

I don't know if Christ was a pacifist, or if he was, if that's even a bad thing. (Sorry to any Christian war monger friends I may have out there). I am most interested in Christ's message of love, forgiveness and charity.

I'm not passionately angry over Christianity.

Fortyone
7th August 2010, 04:03 AM

I would rather your avenging Christ had showed a little fight when the Romans and Jews were nailing him to the cross. Instead he left his followers with a pathetic example to follow: don't fret defeat in this world as your reward will be in the next.

Look at it this way, how afraid would you be to die if you 100% KNEW you werent? Remember, Jews are fatalists, no afterlife, this is it.What better example could he had shown to his newly converted Jewish followers than to face death like he did,with NO fear? His actions at the end, cemented the belief that Christians get that second chance to be better. To answer your question further, why didnt he just have the old man destroy Rome altogether and give it to the Judeans?That was an option, no? Because the Judeans werent following God's will,and people needed to be reeducated before God was going to intervene in anything(although I believe God was sick of the whole "people" business and the "Forgive them father, they know not what they do" comment saved the human race from oblivion)

Desolation LineTrimmer
7th August 2010, 06:56 AM

Look at it this way, how afraid would you be to die if you 100% KNEW you werent? Remember, Jews are fatalists, no afterlife, this is it.What better example could he had shown to his newly converted Jewish followers than to face death like he did,with NO fear? His actions at the end, cemented the belief that Christians get that second chance to be better. To answer your question further, why didnt he just have the old man destroy Rome altogether and give it to the Judeans?That was an option, no? Because the Judeans werent following God's will,and people needed to be reeducated before God was going to intervene in anything(although I believe God was sick of the whole "people" business and the "Forgive them father, they know not what they do" comment saved the human race from oblivion)

He didn't have the old man destroy Rome, or the Sanhedrin to be more accurate, because the "old man" is a mental concept rather than an objective reality.

Fortyone
8th August 2010, 03:04 AM

He didn't have the old man destroy Rome, or the Sanhedrin to be more accurate, because the "old man" is a mental concept rather than an objective reality.

No one is trying to convert you. Believe as you wish.

Phoenix
8th August 2010, 01:21 PM
No one is trying to convert you. Believe as you wish.

God is denied by those who wish He didn't exist. God is most denied by those who wish hardest He didn't exist.