PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45-70

Liquid
19th July 2010, 02:32 PM
I went to the gun range yesterday and shot a friend's Marlin 45-70, lever action, 18.5 barrell rifle. Well, I fell in love with this gun, and am thinking of purchasing one.

First off, I'll admit I lack experience with rifles. However, this gun seemed to really fit well with me, and was a blast to shoot. It's a big bullet, packs a wallup, and seems fairly accurate as well. We were shooting at 75 yards with no scope. 405 grain and some 300 grain rounds, the 300 grain ones really had some punch. I preferred the 405 grain.

Anyone have any personal thoughts on this gun? I discussed this in chat last night with a couple of folks, and thought I'd make a thread about it.

I am big fan of lever actions, despite the obvious drawbacks. Originally, I was going to get a 30-30, but after shooting the 45-70, I am leaning towards the 45-70. It's a light gun, compact, and would be great for backcountry travel. I think it could stop just about anything out there.

mightymanx
19th July 2010, 02:53 PM
I have had one for years the Marlin 1895 action is one of the strongest lever actions period and dang near as strong as bolt actions if you want more powerfull loads you can shoot 500g bullets out of them.

The 45-70 will kill anything in North America. You can hunt anything you want from Coyotes to Toyotas. The deer I have shot do just one thing when hit, they fall over where they stood.

I have been trying to convince myself that I need another one the stainless 20 inch barrel that holds 6 rounds and has a rail built in and a wide loop is my dream gun. and Yess I think it is worth the extra FRN's for it.

Very easy to reload for as well.

Hope that answered your questions.

Liquid
19th July 2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks! That sure helps! That's the feeling I got from shooting it, raw power and confidence. First shot, I thought...I've got to get one of these. It would stop anything out there.

Also, point taken about the new stainless model. Thanks for the advise.

Liquid
19th July 2010, 03:31 PM
This video of the 45-70, is just plain awesome. This guy is one impressive shooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XCB4A911SM

crazychicken
19th July 2010, 04:29 PM
My 2 cents.

I have a Marlin 1895LTD-lll, sn lll006xx.

I had it ported and had a recoil pad installed.

It has killed two bears, one bison and three bulls. I feed it Buffalo Bore 45/70 500 grain FMJ.

It has never needed a second shot to do its job.

It is a heck of a weapon.

CC

Liquid
19th July 2010, 05:03 PM
My 2 cents.

It has killed two bears, one bison and three bulls. I feed it Buffalo Bore 45/70 500 grain FMJ.

CC

Thank you, CC. Your post speaks volumes. I am going to purchase this gun now. I already know I enjoy shooting it.

Many thanks.

Heimdhal
19th July 2010, 05:30 PM
Good choice Liquid! We want range reports when you get it. of course, in commifornistan, you probably wont get it till next year. ;D ;D

Liquid
19th July 2010, 05:47 PM
Good choice Liquid! We want range reports when you get it. of course, in commifornistan, you probably wont get it till next year. ;D ;D

Roger on the range reports Heimdhal.. I am excited. This is actually a big step for me, I am going to my local gun shop Trader's tomorrow, and see if they have any in stock. I haven't bought a gun in a long time. I am due. Hopefully it doesn't take a year to get it. :)

crazychicken
19th July 2010, 06:27 PM
You have to come over sometime. We have a lot of interesting stuff.

CC

My 2 cents.

CC

Thank you, CC. Your post speaks volumes. I am going to purchase this gun now. I already know I enjoy shooting it.

Many thanks.

willie pete
19th July 2010, 06:50 PM
Yep it throws out a big slug, unless you reload it'll cost you at least a
$1 a round to feed it, as big as that brass is, reloading should be a snap though ;D

Liquid
19th July 2010, 08:09 PM

I'd like that a lot, CC. Would love to take you up on your offer. :)

crazychicken
19th July 2010, 08:18 PM
ANYTIME!

CC

I'd like that a lot, CC. Would love to take you up on your offer. :)

mightymanx
19th July 2010, 09:54 PM
Sounds like there is going to be another 45/70 addict soon.

The blackpowder big game cartridges are VERY addicting

Call when you feel you have to have a 45/100 sharps ;D

Liquid
20th July 2010, 02:21 PM
This is a shame. It turns out my local gun shop, doesn't sell guns. I've been going in and buying ammo from this guy for years. We always have our ritual 'bash on the government' conversation, and then I buy ammo and leave a happy customer.

So, when he said "we don't sell guns here" it really shocked me..especially since he was standing in front of a rack of guns. He then said those are airguns. I always thought he had the cheap used guns out front, and the good guns locked away in the back. This place isn't in the nice area, and there's been big shootouts in the past from attempted strong arm robberies. Sure enough, all those guns were airguns once I looked a little closer.

He told me that they had their license pulled 4 years ago. He wouldn't recommend any other places locally, because he said more and more shops are losing their licenses to sell guns. So, the shops that still have licenses, are charging an arm and a leg. He mentioned one shop that was selling a box of 45 acp rounds for $53, then pointed and said he was selling them for $25.

I am very disappointed, and feel as though I lost my 2nd amendment rights. It's crazy to think that I have to drive 2 hours away to buy a gun.

I did purchase a couple of boxes of .40 cal for $18 a box, so at least the trip wasn't a total loss. Now I know why this guy always bashes the government when I go in there. I apologized for not knowing his license was taken , and he responded by pointing out how slow it always is when I come in. Damn shame.

mightymanx
20th July 2010, 04:16 PM
That sucks.

If you can find an FFL holder you can order on line and get it shipped to them. Around my parts they charge usualy 25-50 for the service.

Liquid
20th July 2010, 04:47 PM
That sucks.

If you can find an FFL holder you can order on line and get it shipped to them. Around my parts they charge usualy 25-50 for the service.

That's a really good idea. I did contact another gun shop, in my old neighborhood. Spoke to a young guy was optimistic about ordering one, said he's going to do the pricing research and see if he can find one. He raved about this gun as well, said it was his 'dream' gun.

I plan on going into that shop tomorrow, and will inquire if he's an FFL holder. More specifically, this is the model I'm most considering...the 1895stbl.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180383938

mightymanx
20th July 2010, 08:33 PM
I am a huge fan of the SBL vice the STBL

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_model1895SBL_200903/

If you are not familiar with Gun broker there is the "gun broker price bell curve" some times there are deals but most of my experience with them is they have lots of delusional people putting prices on things. IE Retail prices for used stuff.

Since there are no real gunshops near me and 99% of the things I want are not big box store items. I do most of my firearms stuff on line and have it shipped to my local FFL guy costs $30 but at least I get in a prompt maner, like pistols in 2 days for example.

Liquid
22nd July 2010, 05:41 PM
Well, it turns out my friend offered to sell me his one, the same one we shot at the range. It's the model 1895gs. If all goes well, I will be a proud owner over the weekend!! It's a great gun, new out of the box, only has sent about 20 rounds downrange. Shoots very well.

I am excited!

crazychicken
22nd July 2010, 07:17 PM
Congratulations----------------------Yahoo!

CC

Well, it turns out my friend offered to sell me his one, the same one we shot at the range. It's the model 1895gs. If all goes well, I will be a proud owner over the weekend!! It's a great gun, new out of the box, only has sent about 20 rounds downrange. Shoots very well.

I am excited!

mightymanx
22nd July 2010, 07:28 PM
You won't be disapointed.

Korbin Dallas
22nd July 2010, 08:23 PM
Great news, congrats on the find. You got me interested. I was thinking of the 30-30, but the more I read, the more I likey the 45-70. I did find this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=marlin+45+70&x=0&y=0 . My local gun shop charges $75 for FFL transfers, but Bud's ships free and doesn't charge sales tax, so it's worth it.

Liquid
24th July 2010, 03:04 PM
Great news, congrats on the find. You got me interested. I was thinking of the 30-30, but the more I read, the more I likey the 45-70.

Just wait until you shoot one Korbin.

Took ownership on paper today, though I need to wait 10 days to truly take ownership. CA has a 10 day wait period for long guns too. A mini yahoo for now, it's a pre yahoo...until I can really go...yahoo!!! ;D

I looked over the rifle again, what well made American beauty. My friend threw in 3 boxes of ammo as well, to sweeten the deal even further. It's the ammo that "hurts to shoot", as he put it. 300 grain, speer hot-cor rounds.

In CA, they seem to be doing everything they can to make buying a gun very inconvenient. There's a new law that you must show that you own a gun safe at home, though this seems to be up to the discretion of the gun shop owner. The guy who was helping me was cool, since I could not remember the exact make and model of my gun safe. Apparently some gun shops require proof as in the gun safes manuel or a receipt of purchase.

osoab
13th September 2010, 05:59 PM
I am looking to get the 1895GS, if the dealer can get one.
Might also get the 1895CB. The CB would be a match to my 1894CB in .357. Dealer said they quit making both. I know the 39A is discontinued. Got to look for one of those too.

After reading all of the above posts along with a bunch of other research, seems like a nice piece to add. Alot of history behind the 45-70.

I was wondering if anyone has changed the sights on their 45-70's. Tang sight, Scopes, Aperture sights?

What would be a far price on a new 1895GS?

mightymanx
13th September 2010, 06:22 PM
I changed my rear sight to a sight with one that has more pronounced "ears" and a white diamond in the notch the rounded shape with the v notch and the diamond allows a good set of contrasts to the front sight for fast acquisition I am also planning to drill a hole in the top of the front sight shield to let a little more light in for dawn and dusk. I still have good eyes so I don't need to use optics on the ranges I shoot it 200 yards and under. Anything farther and you have to jack the velocity up or start using it like artillery.

I also have a plinking pet load that makes shooting it fun for cowboy action etc. 18 grains of unique and a 300 grain flat tip lead bullet. it allows you to the enjoyment of "kaboom..1.2.3.thwack"

I have a plain jane 1895 from the 80's so I can't help you on the other things.

Hope that helped.

osoab
13th September 2010, 06:40 PM
I also have a plinking pet load that makes shooting it fun for cowboy action etc. 18 grains of unique and a 300 grain flat tip lead bullet. it allows you to the enjoyment of "kaboom..1.2.3.thwack"

I have a plain jane 1895 from the 80's so I can't help you on the other things.

Hope that helped.

Thanks!

I can't wait to hear the thwack.

What type of set up do you load with? I figured this gun would give me a good reason to start reloading.

mightymanx
13th September 2010, 06:59 PM
I just use a single stage press available at any gunshow or yard sale for less than $20 any die will do and I measure each load for the round (no powder dump) The only real caution is the 45/70 case can hold lots and lots of powder so the possibility of double or even triple charging a load is a possibility is you are not careful the marlin is a strong action but you can still blow your gun up if you are not paying attention.

I can reload my plinkers for about $.25 each after it is all said and done so it is affordable to shoot and it does not beat the crap out of me (try shooting 50 full power loads in a afternoon on a cowboy course). I have my full + power hunting ammo that uses jacketed 405 grain bullets and I have not run in to anything that needs more than that the 405 took lots of buffalo and I don't want to hunt Africa.

willie pete
13th September 2010, 07:19 PM
And just think, the 45/70 is what Custard's men were using around that time

Tumbleweed
14th September 2010, 11:30 AM
And just think, the 45/70 is what Custard's men were using around that time

I was at a reinactment on the battle feild where Custer tried to cross the Little Bighorn River but was driven back. That was quite a few years ago. They were using 45 70's loaded with blanks. Here are a couple of photo's.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/Tumbleweed200526/custer13400.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/Tumbleweed200526/custer2400.jpg

An old friend of mine who pbssed away in 1998 told me when he was a little kid he would spend a lot of time with two old indians. One of their names I remember was "Two Elk". They told him when they were little kids they were camped along the little Bighorn with their familys when Custer attacked their camp. they said they didn't rememver to much about the fight but there were a lot of dead horses that got shot during the fight and that is what impressed them the most.

Liquid
25th October 2010, 05:47 PM
Man, I love this gun. I thought I'd update this thread with a review, since I finally got to the range today to shoot her.

I shot 2 different ammunition. Hornady's Lever-revolution 325 grn, and Federal Power-shock 300 grn.

Started at 50 yards. Got her sighted in well. Found she's quite accurate of a gun at this range. All my groupings were within a couple of inches. Hornady's was definitely more accurate.

Went to 100 yards. Had some problems here. Probably error on my part, as being new to rifles. My groupings were about 6 inches here, maybe 7. I then shot her standing up, and was lucky to hit the paper without the bench rest, but boy was that fun. Handling the recoil is a piece of cake standing up actually.

With more practice, I'll gain confidence at 100 yards, once I can get her sighted in at that range.

In short, Hornady's ammo is the winner here, and this gun is just a great gun.

I think I've found a new passion in life, shooting my 45-70! Shooting a big bullet is just great fun!

k-os
25th October 2010, 06:23 PM
Man, I love this gun. I thought I'd update this thread with a review, since I finally got to the range today to shoot her.

I shot 2 different ammunition. Hornady's Lever-revolution 325 grn, and Federal Power-shock 300 grn.

Started at 50 yards. Got her sighted in well. Found she's quite accurate of a gun at this range. All my groupings were within a couple of inches. Hornady's was definitely more accurate.

Went to 100 yards. Had some problems here. Probably error on my part, as being new to rifles. My groupings were about 6 inches here, maybe 7. I then shot her standing up, and was lucky to hit the paper without the bench rest, but boy was that fun. Handling the recoil is a piece of cake standing up actually.

With more practice, I'll gain confidence at 100 yards, once I can get her sighted in at that range.

In short, Hornady's ammo is the winner here, and this gun is just a great gun.

I think I've found a new passion in life, shooting my 45-70! Shooting a big bullet is just great fun!

Congrats on your new rifle.

You are a perfect candidate for an Appleseed Project event. The event is inexpensive and the lessons are priceless!

Here are Appleseed Events in CA. (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=CA&statename=California) If you can go to any in the second weekend in November, I might be able to go with you!

mightymanx
25th October 2010, 06:29 PM
I figured you would be hooked in short order.

Just wait till you start with 400gr+ bullets loaded to buffalo spec.

Liquid
25th October 2010, 06:57 PM

Oh, my mouth is watering. I want to shoot the biggest damn loads out of this gun...

It's funny, I'd shoot this thing, ka bang! and look at my buddy, he would just smile and laugh at how much fun I was having...

He was shooting an M1A national match. Damn fine gun, and accurate. Beautiful with the walnut stock.

K-os, interesting you mentioned the Appleseed Project. Seems there's one this next weekend, from talking to the range master. He mentioned that they shoot 400 rounds over the weekend, is this correct? I don't know if I could shoot 400 rounds of 45-70. I have bruising after 40 rounds today.

Sounds great though, I know I could use the training advise.

k-os
26th October 2010, 12:31 PM

Oh, my mouth is watering. I want to shoot the biggest damn loads out of this gun...

It's funny, I'd shoot this thing, ka bang! and look at my buddy, he would just smile and laugh at how much fun I was having...

He was shooting an M1A national match. Damn fine gun, and accurate. Beautiful with the walnut stock.

K-os, interesting you mentioned the Appleseed Project. Seems there's one this next weekend, from talking to the range master. He mentioned that they shoot 400 rounds over the weekend, is this correct? I don't know if I could shoot 400 rounds of 45-70. I have bruising after 40 rounds today.

Sounds great though, I know I could use the training advise.

Yes, they do go through 400 rounds in a weekend. Not only would it bruise you, but it would cost a lot too! You could use someone's .22 for training, and then shoot your rifle another time. The instruction encompasses any rifle shooting.

I highly recommend it. I'd only shot a rifle once before attending, and although it did take me three events, I finally shot rifleman score. I think that it's better to learn correctly before you develop bad habits. I noticed that the guys who thought they knew it all were much harder to teach. ;D

Bring your new rifle to the event, because the instructors like to drool all over other people's toys. It's like show and tell.

Liquid
26th October 2010, 07:57 PM
Yes, they do go through 400 rounds in a weekend. Not only would it bruise you, but it would cost a lot too! You could use someone's .22 for training, and then shoot your rifle another time. The instruction encompasses any rifle shooting.

That's a great idea, thanks k-os. I think I would get a lot out of the training. I've been professionally trained in pistols, but rifles are new to. I'm particularly interested in shooting from different positions, prone, kneeling, and standing.

When you get out my way, we'll definitely have to go shooting together. That would be a lot of fun.

crazychicken
27th October 2010, 05:22 AM
Buffalo Bore makes a 500 grain FMJ 45/70 round. The rifle truly becomes a "portable cannon.". Birds fall from the sky from the blast-almost. LOL

Couple that with the Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casall. A "hand cannon".

Our 45/70 has been max ported and a recoil pad added.

This is the rifle, and the load that my daughter killed the bull that was trying to kill me.

She is 120 pounds and was sixteen when she did this last March first. Part of the success in handling big loads is keeping the rifle TIGHT to your shoulder. The recoil is manageable.

CC

willie pete
27th October 2010, 06:04 AM
Part of the success in handling big loads is keeping the rifle TIGHT to your shoulder. The recoil is manageable.

words of wisdom CC....long ago when I got my Enfield .303, I also bought a 100 rds of WW2 surplus (and turned out to be AP.... ;D, man let me tell you, that stuff would go through almost anything) and after a day out shooting it, I had a big "strawberry" on my shoulder... :D fun to shoot though, and a strong round, even without using AP

midnight rambler
28th October 2010, 10:42 AM
Once you master the rainbow trajectory of the .45-70 round you will find it to be a very versatile round, probably the ultimate survival round if you had to stick to one gun. The .45-70 Govt. having been originally developed for blackpowder, you can fill that case full of blackpowder and be confident that Marlin will take it. The .45-70 is an awesome round.

Liquid
29th October 2010, 12:59 PM
This is the rifle, and the load that my daughter killed the bull that was trying to kill me.

She is 120 pounds and was sixteen when she did this last March first. Part of the success in handling big loads is keeping the rifle TIGHT to your shoulder. The recoil is manageable.

CC

Wow, great story CC. Thanks for sharing it, that sounds like one of those times it would have been great to catch on video.

Would you recommend I port this gun in the future, did you notice a difference before and after porting yours?

This is a gun I plan on keeping forever. I want to master it, such as midnight rambler posted. Actually, it will be my pirate gun. I lost a friend of the family to pirates a year or so ago. If I go sailing in the future, I plan on having this loaded with the biggest baddest loads out there. If I don't hit the pirates, I'd like to punch as many holes in their boats as I can.

k-os
29th October 2010, 01:39 PM
crazychicken asked me to take these photos of his 45-70 and post them here..

Enjoy! ;D

crazychicken
29th October 2010, 03:09 PM
First--Thanks K-os for the pictures. I am way too computer-stuff illiterate to have made that happen.

Second--The 45/70 pictured is the Marlin 1895 LTD-lll serial #63x. Maximum porting, recoil pad, big loop lever, plum finish---all after market.

This particular rifle has killed serious Alaskan game, as well as some pretty serious game south of there. It's latest kill was a 2,500 lb--scale weight--deranged range bull that was trying to make me part of the landscape. My daughter used it to drop the bull. Daughter is 5'9', 120 pounds, and was sixteen years old then.

Recoil is EXTREMELY easy to handle done up the way this rifle is done.

Liquid, have fun with it.

CC

Enjoy! ;D

Heimdhal
29th October 2010, 05:05 PM

Enjoy! ;D

<---- jealous of Crazy Chickens gat. :-[

StackerKen
29th October 2010, 08:53 PM
I want one too.

Do Really have to have a gun safe in order purchase one?

crazychicken
30th October 2010, 02:27 AM
Not where I am!

CC

Horn
1st November 2010, 05:15 PM
I used to have an old 22wmr when I was a kid that had one of those octagon barrels.

Can't remember what happened to it?

Think I sold it for cheap like some stupid kid would..probably could have shot thru that thing for a thousand years.

osoab
28th November 2010, 03:49 PM
I joined the club.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Images/bigbore/photo_1895GS.jpg

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GS.asp

Looks just like the stock photo. Checkering and all. Stainless Studs and Stainless offset hammer.

Only put a couple rounds through it at the folks place on turkey day. I like it.

Now, what to do about the rear sight? I already know I want to change it out.

Scope or iron?

solid
28th November 2010, 06:09 PM
I joined the club.

Right on!! Yours is identical to mine actually. I know what you mean about the rear site too. I am having difficulty with it as well.

mightymanx
28th November 2010, 06:32 PM
I changed mine out to one with a white diamond at the bottom of the notch and more pronounced "ears" they have more of the top of a heart shape vice a goal post square notch. Cost me about $10 at the local gun show. any lever gun site works. Lots of great rear site/front site contrast.

The field test is that site works 100x better the only drawback is it does not fold down so it can get hung up on a saddle scabbard when drawing.