PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Info on Flintlocks

Argentium
19th July 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm interested in getting a flintlock rifle, specfically a Kentucky rifle. Did some searching, but the best site so far was Smoke Pole (!), but didn't find too much beginners info. I have some experience with a percussion cap rifle, but know very little about flintlocks.

TIA

Heimdhal
19th July 2010, 04:45 PM
use one grain of powder per caliber. Thats all I know from the limited experience I had with guys using flint and matchlock guns in my reenactment days.

Sorry, I have nothing to add, I just wanted to keep track of this thread as I too am interested. 8)

mightymanx
19th July 2010, 09:51 PM
I have one, and I will tell you one thing for damn certain it will let you know if you have a trigger flinch.
(click......flash(flinch)......BOOM!)

I have a .58 cal and love it. If you are new to muzzleloaders I would start with a traditional percussion. if this is a super SHTF make my own powder and Knapp my flints I would buy a good traditional bow set up way before a flintlock.

Lots of good info on the net learning how to read your patch is the one trick to good muzzle loading accuracy. Pictures are worth a bazillion words and don't take load recommendations from anyone unless they are your hunting partner and neighbor. Loads depend on tons of variables my target load at the range is about 25% different than my load where I hunt due to changes in altitude and humidity. I wont recommend a load to anyone.

If you are dead set on a flintlock I hope you are the patient type because they are one of the hardest muzzle loaders to master I still am only about 75% compared to a traditional percussion muzzle loader. I have owned both for 15+ years.

One secret is the Pan charger and a needle the size of your touch hole it will help make the ignition process much faster.
IE
Powder just dumped in the frizz-en tray (Click......flash......Boom)
Properly done (click...Flash..Boom) less flinchhopefully.

joe_momma
20th July 2010, 07:59 AM
I'd encourage you to stay with percussion caps unless you are really interested in historically accurate scenarios.

There's less that can go wrong mechanically with a cap model, but you still have the ritual - measure, pour, wrap, bite, ram, sight, pull, (wait), (wait), BOOM!

The thought of a hangfire from the matchlock/flintlock gives me the willies.

Argentium
22nd July 2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, guys! My reasons for wanting a flintlock are wanting to go "old school" and as a personal challenge. Looking at the prices on both new and used Kentucky rifles was a shocker! There are a lot of modern weapons you can buy for the price of a good flintlock. I think I'll pass.