PDA

View Full Version : Picked these up today

silverchris
21st July 2010, 10:04 AM
For 1 dollar over, dealer always has fair deals, no hassle, always stocked.

Plastic
21st July 2010, 10:21 AM
Nice score imo!

madfranks
21st July 2010, 11:11 AM
One of the dealers I know has a junk silver bin where all the generic silver rounds go. I always like looking through them because as a collector I like to find the unusual or unique pieces. The prices are about the same, $1 to $1.50 over depending on the day.

silverchris
21st July 2010, 11:31 AM
One of the dealers I know has a junk silver bin where all the generic silver rounds go. I always like looking through them because as a collector I like to find the unusual or unique pieces. The prices are about the same, $1 to $1.50 over depending on the day.

Besides the 10oz bar, thats exactly where i purchased all these from, he has a small cardboard box top filled with generic bars and rounds. Alot of them in good conditon with plastic. I was surprised to find the painted 1999 silver eagle for a buck over spot, I have some nail polish remover that will take it off in a few minutes.

He also had assorted gold pieces for sale. He had a 1/10th gold coin I have my eyes on. Im seriously considering picking one up this week around thursday or so when I get paid.

This was also my first 10oz bar. Nice and heavy. I like.

Happy Hunting!

ximmy
21st July 2010, 11:34 AM
sweet.. I wish I was in the area...

1970 silver art
21st July 2010, 01:09 PM
Awesome deal silverchris. The "America" silver art bar is a very good find IMO. I think that the "America" silver art bar was minted by the World Wide Mint. It might be either a 1973 or 1974 mint year but I am not very sure about that.

zap
21st July 2010, 01:18 PM
Hope you didn't leave a paper trail. ;)

Half Sense
21st July 2010, 02:01 PM
I got this one recently. Not sure who minted it, though.

silverchris
21st July 2010, 02:39 PM
Hope you didn't leave a paper trail. ;)

I never leave a paper trail, I dont even pay tax if im willing to pay cash.

The one on top in the middle is a 1990 Cincinnati Reds World Champion limited edition number on bar is 1543.

1970 silver art
21st July 2010, 02:53 PM

This silver bar was minted by the Money Company in 1991. This ebay seller in the following link has a similar silver art bar up for auction as a BIN auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IRAQI-MOBILE-ROCKET-MISSILE-LAUNCHER-CAMEL-SILVER-BAR-/110562563100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be0ad41c

1970 silver art
21st July 2010, 03:00 PM
Awesome deal silverchris. The "America" silver art bar is a very good find IMO. I think that the "America" silver art bar was minted by the World Wide Mint. It might be either a 1973 or 1974 mint year but I am not very sure about that.

Oops!!!! I was wrong on the this silver art bar. This "America" silver art bar was actually minted by the Madison Mint in 1975. I apologize for incorrectly identifying this silver art bar in post # 5 of this thread. :-[ :-[ :-[

It is still a good find at the local dealer silverchris. :)

silverchris
21st July 2010, 03:03 PM

Oops!!!! I was wrong on the this silver art bar. This "America" silver art bar was actually minted by the Madison Mint in 1975. I apologize for incorrectly identifying this silver art bar in post # 5 of this thread. :-[ :-[ :-[

Your really good,

1970 silver art
21st July 2010, 03:21 PM

Your really good,

I try my best silverchris but I do mess up sometimes and today is a good example of me getting it wrong but I did correct myself. I had to look in my silver art bar price guide to get the right information on this silver bar. The silver art bar price guide that I use for studying and identifying silver art bars is called "An Indexed Guide Book of Silver Art Bars". This silver art bar price guide was published by Archie Kidd. I have the 4th edition of this silver art bar price guide.

Most Madison Mint silver art bars that were minted in the 1970's are very common silver art bars. You can generally find them in the .999 generic silver bucket of most local coin dealers. Each time that my local dealer has any silver bars, I usually see a few 1970's Madison Mint bars present. As you have noticed, these usually are priced just like .999 generic silver.

There is a "cancelled" version of this "America" silver art bar but it will be very hard (if not impossible) to find. It will look like the "America" silver art bar that you bought but the difference will be that the "cancelled" version will have horizontal and vertical lines struck into the front of the art bar.

The "canceled" die version of the "America" silver art bar has a mintage of only 10 according to the 4th edition guide book called "An Indexed Guide Book of Silver Art Bars".

Most '70's silver art bars with a "cancelled" die are very hard to find. Several of them will have very low mintage numbers of 20 or less.

Half Sense
21st July 2010, 05:38 PM

This silver bar was minted by the Money Company in 1991. This ebay seller in the following link has a similar silver art bar up for auction as a BIN auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IRAQI-MOBILE-ROCKET-MISSILE-LAUNCHER-CAMEL-SILVER-BAR-/110562563100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be0ad41c

Thanks for the info. Here's another auction for one ending in 2 days. This one has what looks like an original case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290456479706

1970 silver art
21st July 2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Here's another auction for one ending in 2 days. This one has what looks like an original case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290456479706

It was a while ago but I do remember seeing that silver art bar when I went to one my local coin dealers. At that time, I did not buy that silver art bar because there were a couple of '70's silver art bars that I ended up buying instead.

Half Sense
21st July 2010, 07:51 PM
It was a while ago but I do remember seeing that silver art bar when I went to one my local coin dealers. At that time, I did not buy that silver art bar because there were a couple of '70's silver art bars that I ended up buying instead.

I like collecting art bars that are funny, naughty or un-PC, as well as designs that are beautiful, historic, or patriotic. My favorite mint is the United States Silver Corporation, because they have such a wide array of different subjects and designs, and I like the way many of their bars use the frosting and cameo effects. Other mints I like are Madison and Mother Lode.

I do like many of the Hamilton Mint designs, but I don't like the non-standard size and shape. I gotta admit, though, Hamilton gives you a lot of silver. The ones I've got average about 31.6g.

1970 silver art
22nd July 2010, 04:18 AM

I like collecting art bars that are funny, naughty or un-PC, as well as designs that are beautiful, historic, or patriotic. My favorite mint is the United States Silver Corporation, because they have such a wide array of different subjects and designs, and I like the way many of their bars use the frosting and cameo effects. Other mints I like are Madison and Mother Lode.

I do like many of the Hamilton Mint designs, but I don't like the non-standard size and shape. I gotta admit, though, Hamilton gives you a lot of silver. The ones I've got average about 31.6g.

The only Hamilton Mint silver art bar series that I like is the "America the Beautiful" series. The art work is excellent IMO. The series consists of 50 silver art bars and were minted in 1974 and 1975. I have also noticed that the Hamilton Mint bars tend to weigh more than 31.1 grams. A lot of the ones that I have weigh between 31.1 to 31.8 grams.

I am very picky of what silver art bars that I want to collect. There are certain themes and certain mint brands that I like very much. Some of the '70's silver art bars that I like include silver art bars are the ones that were minted by the GreatHouse Productions Mint, Green Country Mint, World Wide Mint, and The Mint. There are also numerous certain rare '70's silver art bars that I also like (but do not have) that are minted by various other mints as well.

I will say my favorite '70's silver art bar set is the Coca-Cola 75th Anniversary set that was minted by the World Wide Mint. I love collecting those silver art bars. I bought most of mine locally from local dealers and at coin shows. I have bought a few on ebay but not very many because I get outbid on a regular basis on almost every Coca-Cola silver art bar auction. The most that I will pay for a Coca-Cola silver art bar is $31 and I set my ebay max. bid to where I will not pay more than $31 (shipping costs included) if I win a Coca-Cola art bar auction on ebay. The last Coca-Cola bar that I won and bought on ebay was a 1-oz 1977 Coca-Cola - Houston silver art bar that I paid $30.59 for it.

A vast majority of the Coca-Cola silver art bars that I have in my collection are the ones that I bought locally and I paid $25 or less for them. The lowest price that I paid for a Coke bar was $17.00 at a coin show in Spring 2009 and the highest price that I paid for a Coke bar was $31 on ebay earlier this year. A lot of the Coca-Cola silver art bar winning bids that I have seen on hard-to-find Coca-Cola bars are between $40 and $100. Some of the most hard-to-find Coke bars will have winning bids that are in the $400 to $500 range. The highest winning bid that I have seen for a 1-oz Coca-Cola silver art bar on ebay was $517.00.

The most common Coca-Cola bars that I have seen on ebay and locally (when I see one) are Coke bars that have the cities of Chattanooga, Atlanta, Nashville, and Louisville on them. These are also the ones that have the highest mintage numbers on them. According to the second edition of Thomas A. Mock's Coca-Cola guide book called "Coca-Cola Bottler's 75th Anniversary Ingot and Round Guide 1975-1988", The Chattanooga Coke bar has a mintage number of 10,000. The Atlanta Coke bar has a mintage number of 50,000. The Nashville Coke bar has a mintage number of 21,500. The Louisville Coke bar has a mintage number of 20,000. Those four bars, when you factor in shipping costs, will cost between $28 and $35 on ebay. If spot silver falls, then the premium will go down but not by much.

One of my goals this year as a silver art bar collector is to find more Coca-Cola bars locally at coin shows a decent premium over spot. Another goal that I have as a silver art bar collector is to find silver art bars that were minted by the GreatHouse Mint, Green Country Mint, and The Mint. I want to try to find these locally at my coin dealer or at coin shows, however, this will IMO be the most difficult goal for me because these art bars that I mentioned have very low mintage numbers. For example, in the 4th edition Archie Kidd silver price guide, many of the GreatHouse Production mint art bars that I have seen listed have mintage numbers between 50 and 250. I do not want to pay the sky high premium for one that is on ebay. The GreatHouse Production art bars that I have seen on ebay have BIN prices between $130 to $200. I do not want to pay that amount. For that kind of price, I might as well just buy a 1/10th oz gold coin.

When I buy silver art bars, I want to pay the lowest premium over spot that I possibly can for a silver art bar. I guess I am just a cheap silver art bar collector. :)

Half Sense
22nd July 2010, 05:06 PM
I'm the same way - the fun of collecting silver art bars is that you get a cool design and maybe something truly rare...for a few bucks more than spot! It's a cheap way to feed your silver bug.

1970 silver art, I have 4 of the America The Beautiful series I would consider trading for other bars (ones that fit in standard Air-tites).

Ghost Town
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mystical Everglades
Gazebo

Got any strays you want to get rid of?

1970 silver art
22nd July 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm the same way - the fun of collecting silver art bars is that you get a cool design and maybe something truly rare...for a few bucks more than spot! It's a cheap way to feed your silver bug.

1970 silver art, I have 4 of the America The Beautiful series I would consider trading for other bars (ones that fit in standard Air-tites).

Ghost Town
Blue Ridge Mountains
Mystical Everglades
Gazebo

Got any strays you want to get rid of?

Awwwwww..........Bummer. :'( Nope, I do not have any "stray" '70's silver art bars that I want to get rid of that will fit in a standard air-tite. Thanks anyway for the opportunity to trade with you but unfortunately, I do not have any "unwanted" silver art bars to trade with you. :(

Honestly, I have not bought many silver art bars this month. I am planning on going to coin show in Georgia next month. I plan to have a lot of FRNs on hand to buy a lot of silver art bars at this Georgia coin show in late August. I just hope that I can find a lot of the silver art bars that are on my silver art bar "wish list" at this coin show next month.

Half Sense
23rd July 2010, 05:53 AM
I got the Hamiltons at a time when all my bars were in vinyl "flips". I don't really like the flips because they allow for unbalanced toning - the end with the flap gets toned more than the protected end. I also didn't like how the flap distorted the design.

I prefer the Dansco albums, or Air-tite cases, for protecting and displaying the bars. I even considered getting empty Dansco pages and re-cutting them to fit the Hamilton Mint and Patrick Mint bars.

Anybody else use the Dansco albums? They are impressively hefty when filled with 40-oz of silver!

1970 silver art
23rd July 2010, 07:36 AM
A vast majority of my '70's silver art bars are in the semi-hard and brittle (non PVC?) plastic flaps. I also use a few air-tites. I also have a Dansco silver bar album (7085). I think that mine holds either 40 or 45 bars. I will double check to see. I use the 7085 Dansco album to put my favorite '70's silver art bars in it. I am very picky on which bars go in that Dansco album. I do not have the album filled yet because I hope to find some Greathouse, The Mint, or a Green country art bars to put in that Dansco album. I also use some air-tites to put certain rare '70's silver art bars in. The Hamilton Mint bars that I have are not in any flaps or airtites because they are not your typical standard size silver art bars. I am not really worried about the Hamilton Mint bars because I am used to most of them not being in plastic flaps.