PDA

View Full Version : "Bernanke says Fed to act" - and Do What, Exactly ?

gunDriller
21st July 2010, 01:21 PM
"Bernanke says Fed to act if soft recovery falters"

On Wednesday July 21, 2010, 2:19 pm EDT

By Pedro da Costa and Glenn Somerville

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said on Wednesday the U.S. economy faces "unusually uncertain" prospects, and that the central bank was ready to take further steps to bolster growth if needed.

"Even as the Federal Reserve continues prudent planning for the ultimate withdrawal of monetary policy accommodation, we also recognize that the economic outlook remains unusually uncertain," Bernanke told the Senate Banking Committee.

"We remain prepared to take further policy actions as needed to foster a return to full utilization of our nation's productive potential in a context of price stability."

I will spare you the rest of his Yada Yada, but, I mean, what are they going to do ?

The only thing they can do is print money, electronically.

I am missing something. I do not see anything they can do !

What can they do - start auctioning off national parks to America's billionaire's ? Maybe Larry Ellison would pay $1 Billion for Alcatraz.

But that would only finance the gov. for a few minutes. It would not even forestall the problem until after lunch-time.

oldmansmith
21st July 2010, 02:03 PM

Act, as in pretent that they are doing something while it implodes. This seems to be what they are "doing" now.

gunDriller
22nd July 2010, 05:20 AM

Act, as in pretent that they are doing something while it implodes. This seems to be what they are "doing" now.

at this point, they might as well call in a witch doctor.

or maybe put some 4 foot fluorescent lights on the White House lawn (you know, as landing lights for the UFO's that could theoretically save our economy).

Bernanke might as well say, "i'm going to get a case of the Hiccups. that will Save You All.