PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Asatru/Odinism/old school european religion?

sirgonzo420
28th July 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't subscribe to any particular religious dogma and whathaveyou, but lately I've noticed how christianity is dominating this subforum, so I figured I'd start a thread about something else.

mamboni
28th July 2010, 10:18 AM
I am an ardent believer in Onanism. ;D ;D ;D

Heimdhal
28th July 2010, 10:55 AM
I think it makes for exceptionaly good history and story telling. Being of Nordic decent myself, I was always fascinated with it and Occidental and Nodic paganism were my main areas of study in college (the short time I was actualy in! lol).

It was very intermixed with European Christianity during the 11th and 12th centuries however, so we have lost some valuable insight on that end. Many of the original tales and practices were "lost", or re-written.

Its a great folkish history and while there are some horrible missrepresentation of it intodays world, there are worse beliefe systems out there.

Phoenix
29th July 2010, 10:25 AM
I was once an adherent of Asatru. I appreciated the ethnic identity aspect, but never could get into the "god" aspect. I also realized the historical adherents of what we now call Asatru were no more virtuous than the most corrupt "Christians." Selling White women to half- and non-Whites in the Middle East is not my idea of "honor."

My wife was more attuned to the Celtic version, Druidism during that time, and I wasn't too fond of Wicker Men. :o

Phoenix
29th July 2010, 10:27 AM

I've heard followers have a lot of pull.

NOOB
29th July 2010, 02:33 PM

Had to look that on up. I have been a lifelong follower, I just called it another name.

Eyebone
29th July 2010, 02:48 PM
I want a kickass god, none of this turn the other cheek BS.

Smite your enemies with both hands.

Heimdhal
29th July 2010, 02:53 PM
I was once an adherent of Asatru. I appreciated the ethnic identity aspect, but never could get into the "god" aspect. I also realized the historical adherents of what we now call Asatru were no more virtuous than the most corrupt "Christians." Selling White women to half- and non-Whites in the Middle East is not my idea of "honor."

My wife was more attuned to the Celtic version, Druidism during that time, and I wasn't too fond of Wicker Men. :o

Thats a fairly new practice within the "religion" its resurgence was brought about by the Nazi movement, so when the neo-nazi movement began years later, thats what they attached them selves to, seeking to find a germanic based religion.

If you look at the actual history of the norse people, what you will is a people that conquered, but also assimilated. It was not uncommon for a norse man to have a non north european wife (mediteranian, west asia, even persian). One of the biggest reasons the so called viking age ended so quickly was that assimilation.

Im not saying its a good or bad thing, people can take it however they want, but thats just the way it was.

Phoenix
30th July 2010, 06:23 PM

How about casting them into a Lake of Fire?

Phoenix
30th July 2010, 06:23 PM

Thats a fairly new practice within the "religion" its resurgence was brought about by the Nazi movement, so when the neo-nazi movement began years later, thats what they attached them selves to, seeking to find a germanic based religion.

If you look at the actual history of the norse people, what you will is a people that conquered, but also assimilated. It was not uncommon for a norse man to have a non north european wife (mediteranian, west asia, even persian). One of the biggest reasons the so called viking age ended so quickly was that assimilation.

Im not saying its a good or bad thing, people can take it however they want, but thats just the way it was.

An interesting perspective. Thanks!

SLV^GLD
30th July 2010, 06:35 PM

You, sir, are definitely a prime candidate for Onanism. ;D :D ;)