PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else loading up on more silver?

Steal
1st August 2010, 07:57 AM
With some serious short covering Friday and commercials going long....anyone else take this as a sign, besides me, to either load up on physical or go long?

Anyone think they might use a serious market correction in fall to crash silver and make $ off their short position while they still can?

harveyorgan 7/30 (http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/)

1970 silver art
1st August 2010, 08:03 AM
I plan to go to a coin show later this month and I hope to find more silver art bars that are on my "wish list". I do not know where spot silver will be at the time that I go to this coin show but I hope to find what I am looking for at a decent premium over spot. I think that it is still possible for a further correction in silver before it resumes its run to $23+ at the end of the year. I think that the Summer period is traditionally a weak period for gold and silver but then again the negative economic fundamentals of the U.S. gov't and the negative fundamentals of the dollar could keep gold and silver from dropping too much.

Saul Mine
1st August 2010, 01:42 PM
Nope. I expected a peak this spring and it didn't happen. Now we are moving toward time for a summer dip, which might happen as late as December. I intend to just wait and see what happens.

97guns
1st August 2010, 04:20 PM
I AM, i picked up almopst 300 ounces last week and have accumulated 1250+ ounces since early june.

StackerKen
1st August 2010, 04:24 PM
I really don't think the POS gonna go anywhere for a while.

For some reason silver seems to belong at 18 bucks and 20 for an SAE

Im on Hold for now

97guns
1st August 2010, 04:37 PM
if silver stays at 18-$20 10 years from now then im happy, anything over $18.44 is gravey for me. i bought hard and heavy since early june because i did not have any PM holdings and wanted to get some of my money into something as a hedge agaisnt the dollar. i wanted to buy through the bing rebate before it ended also.

StackerKen
1st August 2010, 04:40 PM
if silver stays at 18-$20 10 years from now then im happy, anything over $18.44 is gravey for me. i bought hard and heavy since early june because i did not have any PM holdings and wanted to get some of my money into something as a hedge agaisnt the dollar. i wanted to buy through the bing rebate before it ended also.

IMO you did good and I think you are fairly safe...

1970 silver art
1st August 2010, 04:51 PM

Yeah I agree with Stacker on this. You did very well in that short period of time in accumulating that much silver especially using the Bing rebate. Even if silver falls to $15 (or below), then you still have 1250+ oz's of silver. You are still better off than most people (including myself). Congrats on your purchases. :)

TLM
2nd August 2010, 09:47 AM
I've been picking up on some 90% lately for possible trading in the future.
I sincerely think we will see $20+ again this year, I don't know how long it will hold.

StackerKen
2nd August 2010, 09:59 AM
Silver is making a nice move today and doing it with out Golds Help... Impressive

1970 silver art
2nd August 2010, 10:07 AM
Silver is making a nice move today and doing it with out Golds Help... Impressive

Yeah I have to admit that the DOG is making a very impressive move today. I am surprised that it is doing well despite gold's lackluster day so far.

Steal
2nd August 2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, nice to see when I just turned on computer. Hope shes runnin. Took a gamble and REALLY loaded up. Commercials going long can only mean one thing. Just hope it last a bit longer than this Friday. Also hope when it comes back down will stick around $20. Who knows, maybe the ratio will finally tighten up enough for Saul to make a move. ;D Think its been about 2 yrs now with ration around 60:1--70:1. 50:1 would put a big smile on my face, regardless of price.

Skirnir
4th August 2010, 04:15 PM
Silver rejected $18,5...looks like another trip to $17,5 is in order ::)

Steal
4th August 2010, 06:04 PM
Silver rejected $18,5...looks like another trip to $17,5 is in order ::)

My thoughts exactly. Just may load up some more then.

Half Sense
24th August 2010, 11:26 AM
The new bottom should be 17.70. Shorts covered to 17.74 when they usually just cover to 17.44.

Saul Mine
24th August 2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, nice to see when I just turned on computer. Hope shes runnin. Took a gamble and REALLY loaded up. Commercials going long can only mean one thing. Just hope it last a bit longer than this Friday. Also hope when it comes back down will stick around $20. Who knows, maybe the ratio will finally tighten up enough for Saul to make a move. ;D Think its been about 2 yrs now with ration around 60:1--70:1. 50:1 would put a big smile on my face, regardless of price.

It has been two years and five months. I and several other people fully expected a dip in the ratio last June. We are now wondering what the market is doing instead, and when we will get to swap our silver for gold.

DMac
24th August 2010, 01:33 PM
I bought SAEs today from a nearby dealer, $20 each. :)

TLM
25th August 2010, 04:12 PM

Good timing on the SAE purchase.. Did you buy everything he had?
Peace, TLM

Gaillo
25th August 2010, 04:16 PM
I picked another stack of merc dimes today... I plan to keep it up until it's 25x face... And I might even continue to stack a bit at that price.

1970 silver art
25th August 2010, 04:17 PM
The last time that I bought any '70's silver art bars was at a coin show last weekend in Georgia and for once I am actually not "FRN challenged". I have cash with me but there is one problem. I have not been able to find any '70's silver art bars that are on my "wish list" at the right premium over spot since the coin show last weekend. I will just have to keep trying. I refuse to give up.

big country
25th August 2010, 04:47 PM
I bought a little today, I had planned to spend a lot more then I did on silver, but the silver pickins were very slim today!!

I bought the store out of merc dimes (non-numi dimes anyways)...I bought 10 @ x11.7 face
I bought a Morgan Dollar just because I didn't have any and I wanted one, gave $20 for a 1889 - pretty coin
And I bought a 2010 SAE for my daughter for her birthday (she's due sometime around Sept 25th), gave $21 for that
+$3.51 tax on the above

He only had 3 more SAEs in the store, I don't normally buy them b/c I don't care for the premiums, but this one was special. hence why I didn't pick any more up.

And since I left a little disappointed with silver (went to 2 coin shops today) I decided to pick up a 1oz GAE from him, sold it to me for spot + $45 which was tax free since he was selling it on consignment, Woohoo!

The first place we went I asked "Got any gold or silver bullion?" and his reply was "nope, can't keep any in the store. As soon as I buy it from someone coming it it sells to the guy standing next to him" that is the second time I've been to his store and have been told the same thing. Guess he focuses on numi coins the most...bummer.

TylerDurden
26th August 2010, 11:18 AM
I increased my silver holdings by about 10% over this past week. I was going through my junk silver stash and decided I didn't have enough dimes as a percentage of the total so I had a little fun on ebay. The wife wasn't very happy with me when the stuff started showing up in the mail earlier this week but the higher spot goes the less angry she seems to be. It's the darndest thing. ;D

DMac
26th August 2010, 12:03 PM

Good timing on the SAE purchase.. Did you buy everything he had?
Peace, TLM

Thanks! There were 2 of us buying and we took every eagle he had at that price.

97guns
26th August 2010, 07:42 PM
in the past 2-3 weeks ive picked up 150 ounces of junk off the bay for $17.50 an ounce.

Uncle Salty
28th August 2010, 01:08 AM
No.

I'm fully loaded with my pm's. Finished buying around 2005.

The smart money right now is in food and water filters and other tangibles.

gunDriller
28th August 2010, 10:31 AM

coffee. :o

97guns
29th August 2010, 09:48 AM
No.

I'm fully loaded with my pm's. Finished buying around 2005.

i finished up just now, added 240 2009 eagles to the stack for $20.12 a pop. its the most ive paid for eagles but still reasonable.
last night i wired 26K to apmex for gold. i am forced to buy now because i was late to the game, my other alternative was to sit
on 60K worth of FRN's.

gunDriller
31st August 2010, 04:45 AM
i finished up just now, added 240 2009 eagles to the stack for $20.12 a pop. its the most ive paid for eagles but still reasonable.
last night i wired 26K to apmex for gold. i am forced to buy now because i was late to the game, my other alternative was to sit
on 60K worth of FRN's.

so ... what are your GPS coordinates ? ;D

StackerKen
31st August 2010, 11:05 AM
Im selling

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 11:17 AM
Im selling

What!!!! You are going to abandon the DOG for some FRNs?

SilverSellerKen? :D

ximmy
31st August 2010, 11:21 AM
Im selling

Do you really think the dollar is going to hold value over the next couple years??? silver is going 40+

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Stacker, if you have any '70's silver art bars that you want to sell, then you can sell them to me for $2 under spot. :D

StackerKen
31st August 2010, 11:33 AM
Ive been out of work for a while now and getting low on FRNs..

I always knew I might need to sell some...Silver was my Other savings account...

I'm not selling all of my stash....just need to make a withdrawal...Looks like a good time to do it.

and if I sell now, it will go up past 20 bucks next week

zap
31st August 2010, 11:42 AM
Nope, I don't buy silver or gold, it isn't real money, and If I ever did I sure wouldn't tell anybody :D

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 11:47 AM
Hey Stacker, I would go ahead and sell some more silver because I want to see $23 silver at year's end. If you sell your silver now, then that will help a lot with my gut feeling prediction of $23 silver at the end of this year to come true. :D

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 11:51 AM
Nope, I don't buy silver or gold, it isn't real money, and If I ever did I sure wouldn't tell anybody :D

Yep. Everybody knows that the FRN is king. :sarc:

StackerKen
31st August 2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Stacker, I would go ahead and sell some more silver because I want to see $23 silver at year's end. If you sell your silver now, then that will help a lot with my gut feeling prediction of $23 silver at the end of this year to come true. :D

Your Probably right Art.

I sold a bunch of gold in 1999 and look what it did after that.

Although I don't think silver will get to 23 this year.....it could.

chad
31st August 2010, 02:51 PM
been buying up peace dollars and walkers off ebay for a small premium over silver content. that, and i've been buying cans of coffee like there's no tomorrow. i'm also buying 60 bottles of barter whiskey this weekend when it goes on sale. ;D

Liquid
31st August 2010, 04:48 PM
been buying up peace dollars and walkers off ebay for a small premium over silver content. that, and i've been buying cans of coffee like there's no tomorrow. i'm also buying 60 bottles of barter whiskey this weekend when it goes on sale. ;D

I went through a binge period where I was gobbling up 90% on ebay. It is addicting, and you can get some great deals. I am a big fan of 90%, especially mercs. Every transaction I did was 100% honest. It gave me a lot of faith in silver fans, good people buy and sell 90%, imo.

To answer the question from the OP. I unfortunately can't load up on any metal right now. I am content with the silver I have. Every FRN I earn, is currently being poured into this floating money pit that I am anchored with, out of a labour of love of course. :)

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 04:57 PM

I went through a binge period where I was gobbling up 90% on ebay. It is addicting, and you can get some great deals. I am a big fan of 90%, especially mercs. Every transaction I did was 100% honest. It gave me a lot of faith in silver fans, good people buy and sell 90%, imo.

I wish I was having some good luck on ebay with winning 1-oz '70's silver art bar auctions. So far my ebay auction losing streak is currently at 10 auctions. Maybe one day I will win a '70's SAB auction on ebay.

Liquid
31st August 2010, 05:02 PM
I wish I was having some good luck on ebay with winning 1-oz '70's silver art bar auctions. So far my ebay auction losing streak is currently at 10 auctions. Maybe one day I will win a '70's SAB auction on ebay.

Sorry to hear that Josey. At least you didn't bid more than you were willing to pay. That's all you can do, bid what you'll pay and that's it, honest transaction.

On the bright side...it really shows how popular your 70's artbars are! I think you may be the leader in a mass awakening to the passion of the art bar. ;D

1970 silver art
31st August 2010, 05:16 PM

Sorry to hear that Josey. At least you didn't bid more than you were willing to pay. That's all you can do, bid what you'll pay and that's it, honest transaction.

On the bright side...it really shows how popular your 70's artbars are! I think you may be the leader in a mass awakening to the passion of the art bar. ;D

I will not give up. I will keep trying and I am patient. I have a few '70's silver art bars that are on my ebay watch list that are within my price range but there is plenty of time left in those auctions. I have not bid on anything yet but I might soon if the bid prices on some of those '70's SAB's are still within my price range.

I think that you might be right in terms of the popularity of '70's silver art bars. A lot of them command a large premium on ebay and that premium is much more than I am willing to pay. I guess I am just cheap. ;D