PDA

View Full Version : PSL 54C - Romak-III (Wood and Poly)

Black Blade
4th August 2010, 11:24 PM
http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/33836f3a134badee24a81748374b9e6a4ede8dcf.pjpg

I have had a few PSL rifles over the years with varying degrees of success. I even had one from Classic Arms that was almost rusted pretty bad when I disammbled it for cleaning. It turned out to be a good shooter though. I am down to only four now. I had come across a couple guys who decided to make polymer stocks and handguards with an adjustable cheek piece a few years back (they now sell their sets on Centerfire site from time to time). Sometimes they requiring some work to fit as it seems every PSL has slightly different dimensions for some odd reason. Oddly enough even though these are really elongated AKs, they are fun guns like my heavy barreled Yugo M72 rifles.

Polymer

Looks nice but not quite so easy to fit. The wood is tight but easy to remove except the upper handguard where the front metal retainer is bead welded. The wood was removed and then the polymer upper handguard wouldn't fit. The weld on the retainer was broken and the piece fitted. Then the metal was helio-arced (sp) back into place to hold the handguard snug in place. The Stock was not too much of a problem except that a hole for the retaining bolt had to be drilled into the rear base of the receiver but no big deal. It wasn't really what I would call a "drop-in" fix but then I really didn't expect that either. I also have changed the trigger group out for a RSA (Redstar Arms) trigger group on some.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/36736af412f9abba2d2910503272926c6fc853dd.pjpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/b2216116ab2815359baa4ac20c654cfb8b92986b.pjpg

They do string out on target if you shoot them without letting the barrel cool down between shots. This is a "designated marksman" rifle and not a "sniper rifle" as some would believe. I took an afternoon with one of my PSL rifles and took on some bench rest shooting just for the hell of it to see if I could get a very tight grouping at 100 yards.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/56f369901fd8a4992f5e16ad38ca9616669e0043.pjpg

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/09f269119da7227d1523989b68b9014b929c3271.pjpg

I used czech "silver tip" milsurp ammo (7.62x54R) as I have had the best results with it rather than the more expensive Russian 7N1 ammo that slipped into country a few years back. Still, getting a decent PSL is sometimes the luck of the draw. I figure that maybe 3/4 are decent and maybe 1/4 are very good to excellent rifles. I have used a PSL for hunting pronghorn and elk in the past but generally I use my Mausers for big game.

- Black Blade

Rebel Yarr
6th August 2010, 06:46 PM
Nice group there.... I have recently picked up a couple of these. I can't wait to see if I have at least one decent shooter - I would be thrilled with a group like that - even if having to wait a few between shots.

I understand that if they are chopped down a few inches - the barrel whip can come under control - I'll be building a "para PSL" out of mine if I don't get a shooter!

Black Blade
7th August 2010, 01:58 AM
Nice group there.... I have recently picked up a couple of these. I can't wait to see if I have at least one decent shooter - I would be thrilled with a group like that - even if having to wait a few between shots.

I understand that if they are chopped down a few inches - the barrel whip can come under control - I'll be building a "para PSL" out of mine if I don't get a shooter!

Definitely wait a couple minutes (or more) between shots or you will string out. I prefer my M76 for longer range shooting. The problem with those is that they are reconstructed using US made receivers and the quality can vary widely. Mine shoots great but doesn't cycle very well (it may be that the mags don't seat deep enough). I may have to get it worked over.

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/87716c1da72d113292d1a1446d68bc2f5189cb3d.pjpg

Rebel Yarr
16th September 2010, 05:37 PM
Well, I told ya I went out and grabbed 2 of these...Century "Sportsters" That is with US Receiver and put together by Century. I sent one back....it looked like it fell off the truck a few times....

The one I kept looks like a shooter! I have not done much 100 yard target rifle shooting before....so the targets are really my first attempt at accuracy with a new-to-me rifle... Also, I had to "re-sight" the scope in - the bottom shots on center target was my "walking" the shots up. When I first got it I put a round down the barrel and then cleaned the barrel - did that for the first 5 or so shots...then 5 or so and complete breakdown and cleaning. Today, I wanted to see how it would shoot without waiting for the barrel to cool between shots. The target reflects 35 or so shots in about 20 or so minutes... The ammo is Russian, 148 grain surplus.

I put a Versa-Pod detachable bipod on it.. a 3-9x40 Leopold scope, Kalinkaoptics scope mount, refinished the fore grip and made a custom check rest (haha)

I still have some work to do in improving my skills with this type of shooting - but overall I am very very happy in taking the risk at putting one of these together....for less than $1,400 a complete platform with 2k rounds of ammo.

Due to her ability to shoot I will be putting a Red Star Arms trigger in her...on the way to order that up!

Rebel Yarr
16th September 2010, 05:41 PM

Black Blade
26th September 2010, 07:51 PM
Nice! Looks very nice. I will probably add a bi-pod mount to one of mine eventually. Can't go wrong with having a PSl or two in reserve since the ammo is so cheap and comparable to a .308. I will be a lot more selective in my gun purchases now that I am concentrating on building up other survival supplies and maybe to add more "raw" land here in the high country.

I am thinking of a Chinese NDM-86 or maybe a Russian SVD TIGR next on my shopping list (too bad Billy Bob Clintoon got the Chinese and Russians to stop import). The PSLs are fun guns tho and I have used one for elk a few years ago. I know that I still have the 5-round magazine somewhere.