PDA

View Full Version : Started making hoslters again

Heimdhal
5th August 2010, 12:15 PM
Ive made a few kydex-hybrid IWB hoslters for myself and friends in the past and just finished another 2 last night (one for myself to replace an older one and one for a friend).

Its a funy hobby, and I enjoy doing it so I havent charged anyone anything yet, as it gives me an excuse to practice my craft and fine tune my skills (and they need it).

Heres both of the ones from yesterday

The one with the bersa thunder .45 uc is my personal one, the other one is for a tarus .45 something or other for a friend, left handed. Ill take another pic when he gets here to pick it up and I can test the gun in it.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4021.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4022.jpg

I lost some of the pictures of teh other holsters I've made (some all leather OWB and some more hybrid-kydex IWB for a bersa 380.)

Im know we have some talented craftsmen here, so lets see what yall got!

k-os
5th August 2010, 12:44 PM
Very cool, Heimdhal. You might convince me to carry if you made me one. ;)

ximmy
5th August 2010, 12:49 PM
they are cool.. I love seeing the amazing things guys make or modify...
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s222/chrisneros/girlwatchesboymakeairplane.jpg

KumbayaMan
5th August 2010, 04:04 PM
Great Holsters Heimdhal...!

Heres both of the ones from yesterday

The one with the bersa thunder .45 uc is my personal one, the other one is for a tarus .45 something or other for a friend, left handed. Ill take another pic when he gets here to pick it up and I can test the gun in it.

I have the Taurus (PT-145 Millennium-Pro), could be what your friend has...
I picked up a holster similar to yours from www.kholster.com (http://www.kholster.com) its a cool design and it works very well, you can adjust the cant / height, etc. Check it out....

How do you like the Bersa Thunder in .45ACP???

So far my Taurus has been quite unreliable and I would not trust it as a carry gun (yet).... :'(
Needless to say, I'm looking for options in a .45 and the Bursa was on my list. Would love a 3" 1911 but they seem to have reliability issues too.
So far, the pragmatic solution seems to be the Glock G30 but I'm not in love with that option either.

Also, where do you get your materials (leather, kydex, clips, etc.)? ???
Seems like one could put together a real nice home made holster like yours with the right materials. :oo-->

NOOB
5th August 2010, 04:18 PM
Those are nice, good job.

Heimdhal
5th August 2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys(ladies)

and K-os, you know i'd be happy to make one for ya.

I have the Taurus (PT-145 Millennium-Pro), could be what your friend has...
I picked up a holster similar to yours from www.kholster.com (http://www.kholster.com) its a cool design and it works very well, you can adjust the cant / height, etc. Check it out....

How do you like the Bersa Thunder in .45ACP???

So far my Taurus has been quite unreliable and I would not trust it as a carry gun (yet).... :'(
Needless to say, I'm looking for options in a .45 and the Bursa was on my list. Would love a 3" 1911 but they seem to have reliability issues too.
So far, the pragmatic solution seems to be the Glock G30 but I'm not in love with that option either.

Also, where do you get your materials (leather, kydex, clips, etc.)? ???
Seems like one could put together a real nice home made holster like yours with the right materials. :oo-->

I think that is what he has. I know its a very light weight and compact Tarus .45 I like tarus as a range gun, but like you I have had reliability issues with some and it is a very common complaint. I would not trust it as a carry gun either, despite it being nearly half the weight of my Bersa and a little smaller, all on a .45 platform

The adjustable holsters are nice. The ones I've made CAN be adjusted, but once those rivets are set, the only way to do it is drill out the rivets and make the adjustments then put some new rivets in. Which is why I make them for friends since they can then just come over and I make it a custom fit to them while they stand there and test it all out before the rivets go in.

As for the Bersa, I love it. Ive never had any reliability issue that made me question the gun itself. I carry it daily (its my only compact CCW handgun) and have full faith in it, once I broke it in (put a couple boxes through it at the range). I also use quality defense ammo with a +p rating and that seems to help as well. Never had a fail to feed with any JHP's before, but a couple with cheap FMJ range ammo, mostly due to limp wristing.

And I only paid 350 for it new. Comes iwth a lifetime warranty.

The glock 30 or 36 (the slimline one) arent bad options either though. I personaly am not the biggest glock fan (doesnt fit me right, but thats fixable nowadays), but relibaility wise you rarley hear anything bad about them.

What I realy like about the Bersas is that they are DA/SA pistols. I dont have to leave it cocked and locked like a 1911 or have a super lightweight DA-only trigger like a glock. It also has an external saftey and hammer. The saftey doubles as the decocker. this isnt super important, but some people like it.

the riot act
5th August 2010, 05:11 PM

Now that's what I call "turning on the female charm". ;D You ought to get together and be the front person for Heimdhal's new company.

Heimdhal, I have one of those Taurus's that is just sitting in the box, never fired. Got it ....well never mind. PM me and we will get together and I'll let you take the weapon to work one up for me.

Heimdhal
5th August 2010, 05:34 PM

Now that's what I call "turning on the female charm". ;D You ought to get together and be the front person for Heimdhal's new company.

Heimdhal, I have one of those Taurus's that is just sitting in the box, never fired. Got it ....well never mind. PM me and we will get together and I'll let you take the weapon to work one up for me.

Sounds good to me brother.

I need to get some more kydex though ;)

Rebel Yarr
6th August 2010, 06:51 PM
Looking good Heimdhal - very "high noonish".

You should grab some leather tools and do some patterns - pretty fun really.

Heimdhal
6th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Looking good Heimdhal - very "high noonish".

You should grab some leather tools and do some patterns - pretty fun really.

Thanks.

Ive got some, but Im not the most artistic person in the world. Ive done leather work when I used to make medieval armor for reenactors, but never did patterns or carving, just the basics.

Ive made some all leather holsters, but again, nothing fancy. One of these days I'll take a whack at it! ;)

Mouse
15th August 2010, 06:02 PM
Looks very nice. I have a crossbreed "supertuck" that is very similar in design to what you have made there (almost identical). They use a fastener system for the belt clips where they drill several holes vertically on each side where the clips mount, and they use a small screw with a backing "nut" that pierces and sinks into the backside of the horsehide to fasten the clips (but remains flush to the hide), so you can adjust them to your preferred height and cant. I think I paid something like 75 bucks for that holster, if that helps you any with pricing your stuff. You should check out their site for ideas. I think they are making a lot of money on this. It's a great holster also. THey make to order, and there is always a backlog. Takes a couple weeks to get one.

Heimdhal
15th August 2010, 06:25 PM
Looks very nice. I have a crossbreed "supertuck" that is very similar in design to what you have made there (almost identical). They use a fastener system for the belt clips where they drill several holes vertically on each side where the clips mount, and they use a small screw with a backing "nut" that pierces and sinks into the backside of the horsehide to fasten the clips (but remains flush to the hide), so you can adjust them to your preferred height and cant. I think I paid something like 75 bucks for that holster, if that helps you any with pricing your stuff. You should check out their site for ideas. I think they are making a lot of money on this. It's a great holster also. THey make to order, and there is always a backlog. Takes a couple weeks to get one.

Thanks!

Its funny you mention that as some one brought that up to me on another forum. I handt heard of them before and was almost embarassed to see that my holsters looked almost exactly like theres. I just made a design I figured would work the best, I guess they figured it out a while ago, lol.

Ive since had over 5 people ask me to make holsters, but I cant without their guns on hand, as I dont have a wide range of pistols to make the molds.

I was thinking of doing adjustable belt clips using chicago screws (thats the screws with the flat nut you're refering to) and multiple holes and then saw they also do that! They are gonna come after me, lol.

I think in a couple months, onec I get some supplies in a make a couple more hoslters Im gonna see about getting a booth at the gun show and doing them for walk-up's. Come up to the booth and I'll make it there on the spot. I figured I'd charge around 40-50$ which would be a little less than CrossBreed while still giving me a good enough mark up to make it worth the time.

Mouse
20th August 2010, 01:23 AM
We could use a couple more around here. I can help you with CZ mod 82/83, XD 40 full frame and Beretta PX4 full frame in a 40SW. I have a foodsaver, but the plaster part I would have to ask the woman about, she's a dental tech/assist and could probably help there. Lemme know.