PDA

View Full Version : Record number of Birmingham families emigrate to Australia

wildcard
8th August 2010, 08:04 PM
link (http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2010/08/08/record-number-of-birmingham-families-emigrate-to-australia-66331-27018713/2/)

Record number of Birmingham families emigrate to Australia

Aug 8 2010 by Christina Savvas, Sunday Mercury

RECORD numbers of Midlanders are quitting the region for a life of sun and adventure Down Under.

And experts have described Birmingham as an emigration hotspot as thousands look to get away from the city and start afresh.

The UK has seen the greatest exodus of its own nationals in recent years, with Australia as the most favoured destination.

In 2008 alone, 427,000 people decided to leave the country – one person every three minutes.

In the past six months Birmingham residents sparked the largest number of enquiries to one of the country’s leading migration companies.

Paul Arthur, director of the Emigration Group said: “Birmingham is the emigration hotspot in the UK and we have seen huge levels of enquiries month after month.

‘‘Residents want a better quality of life and better job opportunities – and many are looking overseas to achieve it.

“Australia and New Zealand are two of the most popular choices to emigrate to, because of the quality of life they offer and the fact that there is still a demand for skilled British workers.

“The economies in both countries have remained more buoyant than the UK, with Australia seeing accelerated growth over the last quarter which is fuelling demand for skilled labour.”

Adrian and Louise Warner have not looked back since leaving Sutton Coldfield for Oz in 2006 with their two young sons. The couple set up home in the Bayside area of Victoria and now run a traditional British fish and chip shop.

Louise said: “We didn’t take a holiday for the first few years as we felt we were on a permanent one. Each time we take the kids to a park which overlooks the bay we say: ‘We live here, we’re not on holiday, we actually live here!’”

As well Australia, New Zealand is becoming increasingly popular because there are no waiting lists for visas.

Teacher Sharon and civil servant Dean Smith from Smethwick are planning to relocate there in a few months.

The couple, who have a young daughter, first thought about taking the plunge two years ago. Sharon, 40 said: “We have a lovely house with a nice garden and good jobs but the area has really changed.

‘‘Elderly people have passed on, a lot of the properties are being bought and rented out and a lot of immigrants have moved into the area. There is not the same community spirit there used to be.

“We looked at moving house but we would need a bigger mortgage for a smaller house.

“When we were thinking of moving away we wanted it to be an English speaking country, we looked at jobs, the location, the climate and decided on New Zealand.

“We are excited about the move.”

Olmstein
8th August 2010, 08:37 PM
Skilled labor leaving. Immigrants moving in. England is toast.

Heimdhal
8th August 2010, 09:11 PM
Couldnt be the near despotic conditions the english government is foisting on its people either, now could it?

No jobs, overrun by immigrants, total police state, orwellian government, excessivley high taxes........

Americas near future?

Still Barbaro
8th August 2010, 09:44 PM
The UK has destroyed itself.

Immigration by Pakis.

London = Londonistan.

It's shame. It's over for the UK.

zap
8th August 2010, 09:49 PM
We need to lock the gates, so does the UK, let all those immigrants stay where they are.

They like their culture/religion/language so much, why not just stay in their own country. ???

Glass
8th August 2010, 10:13 PM
Australia is under the control of a foreign power aka britain. Still it's the best place to live there is. Sorry I've been to the US and quite honestly the whole of the country is like some bizzaro world theme park. Canada is nice though. I would live there if it wasn't so close to the US. Haven't been to NZ, Africa or South America so am being a bit faceitous.

Still to anyone who wants wide open spaces, blue skies, great beaches, fishing, camping and most importantly fresh tasty food..... no really if you think that you get anything resembling food in the US you are sadly mistaken. Geez I don't really mean to pick on you guys..... really I don't.

Come on down and check it out for yourself.....just don't tell anyone how good it is or they'll all want to come. Welcome to all the people from Ber-ging-gum.

Apparition
8th August 2010, 10:32 PM
Australia is under the control of a foreign power aka britain. Still it's the best place to live there is. Sorry I've been to the US and quite honestly the whole of the country is like some bizzaro world theme park. Canada is nice though. I would live there if it wasn't so close to the US. Haven't been to NZ, Africa or South America so am being a bit faceitous.

Still to anyone who wants wide open spaces, blue skies, great beaches, fishing, camping and most importantly fresh tasty food..... no really if you think that you get anything resembling food in the US you are sadly mistaken. Geez I don't really mean to pick on you guys..... really I don't.

Come on down and check it out for yourself.....just don't tell anyone how good it is or they'll all want to come. Welcome to all the people from Ber-ging-gum.

Nah, I don't blame you one bit. There are certainly parts of this country I'm disgusted with and wouldn't shed a tear over if those places were decimated.

As for Australia, I have to admit that it's quite a nice place. Low population, open spaces, and probably not as much commercialization.

Despite this, I wouldn't recommend that any US citizens move there considering that so much of the world is still hateful of the US gov't and its citizens due to foreign policy and because Oz's military has been fighting worthless wars and facing casualities at the US gov't's expense.

Remember all you US citizens who wish to travel abroad, you all still have political targets on your backs because of your gov't's imperialistic foreign policy. The hatred that the world has towards us isn't going to disappear any time soon for the next few decades so be very modest, respectful, and careful when visiting any foreign country.

Olmstein
8th August 2010, 11:05 PM
5 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world are native to Australia.

And let's not forget the deadliest spider, the funnel web,is native to Australia, too.

I'll stay in my bizzaro world theme park, thank you very much.

loky
9th August 2010, 04:54 AM
Lol olmstein I've been chased by 2 of those five deadliest snakes in my home town both are dead now.. but reading that does not surprise me i work with someone that came from England she loves it over here says was so much easier getting a job. Do kinda feel sorry for the England though. Also in Australia people have been talking about population cap so don't know how long it will last for.

Glass
9th August 2010, 05:06 AM
Its interesting that there aren't many Americans down here. It's like you guys don't emigrate much or something. Perhaps it's just too far away from home and loved ones etc... from your roots. I can understand that but it is a bit of a shame. Down here you wouldn't have those kind of enemies. You would cop a fair bit of ribbing though... which takes a while to get the hang of. We have the same sense of humour as the English. We rubbish each other but its all in fun. That national rivalry. With England it's the cricket and to a lesser extent Rugby (union). With the Kiwi's it's the other way around, Rugby is the main competition with cricket coming second.

We do have lots of South Africans in the West. Again they have a similar sense of humour. They are more nationalistic, a bit like you guys up there. They also play rugby so they're ok. They're a bit too good at it IMO.

As for the nasties, you don't see them in the cities so much. Maybe on the outskirts if you go looking. I have to say I haven't really been out in the bush bush (real bush) for many years so can't say I've seen any snakes for maybe 20 years. Not to say they aren't out there but even as a kid I saw maybe half a dozen. The best thing is to walk fairly heavily and talk aloud when walking in the bush. That keeps them out of your way. I see more lizards like the blue tounge. They are pretty harmless unless you stick your finger in their mouth.

As for funnel webs. Over east, again in the outskirts you might find them. If you are in an area for them it's easy enough to throw the bed covers back and check or bang your boots a few times to shake any thing out. I still do it if I leave my shoes out overnight and I'm downtown suburbia. I'm looking for red backs not funnel webs. Red backs are common everywhere and like the dark. They have a natural predator in the daddy long legs which is the most venemous spider around. It's just too spindly to be able to bite people. Red backs are for squashing because if you piss one off it will literally chase you until it dies. Insect spray puts them to sleep and turns them totally phsyco when they wake up. See em, squash em. No problem.

Oh and kangaroos don't hop down city streets. They've been pushed right out of the cities. The odd one might show up and there are a few isolated reserves in cities that have a few but very rare.

learn2swim
9th August 2010, 06:28 AM
China is gonna like Australia too.... :P

Twisted Titan
9th August 2010, 02:10 PM
When I draw my last breath, it will be on American soil...............

Publico Pro Se
9th August 2010, 07:55 PM
To follow-up what TT said ... the US is some bizzaro world theme park with guns. No need to hire park security. Just a couple of extra janitors to clean up the puke after people get off of some of the more thrilling rides.