PDA

View Full Version : what's the best weed trimer/edger

ximmy
10th August 2010, 02:50 PM
I've been using a black & decker "grass hog" for a year now and pretty much completely wore it out.. it was a good worker.. RIP... :'(

I'm thinking of replacing it with the same or does anyone have a good experience with another edger/trimmer??? something else I should consider...
ximy

Shorty Harris
10th August 2010, 02:59 PM
Are ya looking for gas powered, or electric? I have a gas Powered Husqvarna, and its never failed me yet.

ximmy
10th August 2010, 03:03 PM
Are ya looking for gas powered, or electric? I have a gas Powered Husqvarna, and its never failed me yet.

either gas or battery...

is it auto string feed... I need something user friendly for tool geeks like me

Shorty Harris
10th August 2010, 03:33 PM
Mine had the bump feed (the kind you slap on the ground to advance) yrs ago, But I converted it over to use These (http://www.cmdproducts.com/Grass%20Gator.html), But you have to change over to a diff head.

StackerKen
10th August 2010, 03:40 PM
Ximmy I have been using the same STIHL for the past 5 years now...and I wack a lot of weeds every year.(3 acres)

My STIHL chains saw is the same age and still works great as well.

I wouldn't buy any other brand myself...

and when My lawn mower dies Im going with a STIHL mower next.

StackerKen
10th August 2010, 03:42 PM
Very Nice stone in your yard Ximmy!

ximmy
10th August 2010, 03:49 PM
Mine had the bump feed (the kind you slap on the ground to advance) yrs ago, But I converted it over to use These (http://www.cmdproducts.com/Grass%20Gator.html), But you have to change over to a diff head.

wow.. those grass gator modifications are sweet... thanks for the tip

ximmy
10th August 2010, 03:50 PM
Very Nice stone in your yard Ximmy!

I'm going to check out STIHL also...

thanks Ken...

skid
10th August 2010, 09:35 PM
I'll second the Stihl. Best in the business, German made. That's what all the pro mow and blow guys use. You do pay for quality, but it will last as long as you...

the riot act
11th August 2010, 08:33 AM
I'll second the Stihl. Best in the business, German made. That's what all the pro mow and blow guys use. You do pay for quality, but it will last as long as you...

Still is great. But not all the Landscaping 'Pro's" use them. Most seen trimmer here in S Fla is a "Echo". I've had one for 5 years that I bought from a pro and it still starts on the first pull. It's commercial grade for the price of a med grade Stihl.

Shop, and compare. Then check Graigs List. A whole lot of stuff there and you will be talking cash, so deal.

Desolation LineTrimmer
11th August 2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/products_2/trimmers/t242_t242x.php

There is a new bump feed head, super fast loading, that you want to get too, but guess what, I don't know the name of it. I'll look at work tomorrow.

Desolation LineTrimmer
11th August 2010, 07:32 PM
These are professional quality edgers:

http://www.mclanemower.com/edgeres.asp

ximmy
12th August 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Desolation Line Trimmer... I vote your user name best on GSUS...

Those edgers are way too big for me to handle.. and my hard has 4 circles where grass is around them... the one in the pic is the largest circle... I need to edge these carefully...

Thats why I was hoping there was a trimmer/edger combo unit out there...

ximmy
12th August 2010, 10:33 AM

Still is great. But not all the Landscaping 'Pro's" use them. Most seen trimmer here in S Fla is a "Echo". I've had one for 5 years that I bought from a pro and it still starts on the first pull. It's commercial grade for the price of a med grade Stihl.

Shop, and compare. Then check Graigs List. A whole lot of stuff there and you will be talking cash, so deal.

I did buy my lawn mower on Craigs list.. it is a Honda commercial, the smallest one they make, with an aluminum body and steel wheels.. I only has a 20 inch cut but I can maneuver it around the grass areas easily...

I was lucky this mower was a great value, but I think small motorized items should be bought new, I like to take care of my things and know their usage and history. ;)