PDA

View Full Version : cucumbers dieing

Mouse
11th August 2010, 01:39 AM
We have planted a beginners garden and done very well for the most part (considering we don't know jack about growing stuff). I have about 16' * 4' trellised growing area. The things took off like weeds and we had to dump them at the neighbors and make pickles like going out of style earlier in the summer. It has been a heat wave here for the last few weeks, but after pulling about 15 bushels or so off this, all the leaves are turning yellow and dying. We have soem new green vines growing and are still getting production out of them (only have to do one or two cases of pickles a week). We haven't really done anything about pests, or fertilizer, or anything else for that matter. Just plant and watch them grow.

Do cukes have to regenerate new greens after some time or do I need to get some fertilizer going on in there? Or something else?

Clueless in pickle land.

I am mister pickles, regardless of not knowing jack about cukes. I also have baseball bat zuch's and am starting to get a lot of pepper action. I don't know how we did it. Just luck.

I want as much fruits as possible and want to learn, so please chime in on your ideas if you are experienced with this.

Thanks

Glass
11th August 2010, 01:55 AM
I found mine cropped well then died off and I wasn't sure why. I was growing in pots and I put it down to poor drainage. I'd be interested to hear from the cucumber experts out there.

Shorty Harris
11th August 2010, 05:46 AM
Have ya sceen any of these lil buggers on your cuke plants?

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/files/images/striped-cucumber-beetle_0.jpg

Mouse
11th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Haven't seen any of those. Mostly moths but they don't seen to do much damage. We haven't really had to do any pest control. I think it might just be the heat or they only produce so much then die to be replaced by new green vines. Wish I knew.

Shorty Harris
12th August 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah mouse, in the past I have had problems with cuke beetles. The biggest problem is that they carry a Plant disease, a powdery mildew type of thing. that will eventually cause the plant to die off. They also will cause damage to the plants that cause them to prematurely dry out by not letting the plant absorb water.

Ive had em on Cukes, Zukes, cantaloupe, squash, and pumpkins. ..Nasty lil critters to be sure.

Mouse
13th August 2010, 01:13 PM
I looked closer into it and the damage appears to be very similar to these beetles, but I haven't seen any. I am not sure if there is anything to be done at this point. I am still getting some new green vines growing and producing. I hate to spray any insecticide so it might be the end of my cucumbers. I got enough that I am not going to cry about it too much. Just note for next year I guess.

THanks

Light
16th August 2010, 05:43 AM
Cucumbers bear fruit and then they die. It's not your fault.