PDA

View Full Version : 2,200-year-old gold coin found in Israel

MNeagle
11th August 2010, 12:13 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20100811/capt.photo_1281547548717-1-0.jpg?x=213&y=99&xc=1&yc=1&wc=409&hc=190&q=85&sig=YWjWQ_WGNRjUjAz.NL1HNw--

JERUSALEM (AFP) – A rare gold coin dating back more than two millennia to the year 191 BC has been found at a dig in northern Israel, the antiquities authority said on Wednesday.

"The coin is beautiful and in excellent preservation. It is the heaviest gold coin with the highest contemporary value of any coin ever found in an excavation in Israel," Dr Donald T. Ariel, head of the authority's coin department, said in a statement.

The coin weighs almost one ounce (27.71 grams), whereas most ancient gold coins weighed 4.5 grams, he added.

It was minted in Alexandria, Egypt during the reign of Ptolemy V in 191 BC and bears the name of the wife of Ptolemy II, Arsinoe Philadephus (II).

The coin was uncovered at a site at Tel Kedesh near the border with Lebanon by a team of American archaeologists from the universities of Michigan and Minnesota.

"This extraordinary coin was apparently not in popular or commercial use, but had a symbolic function," Ariel said.

"The coin may have had a ceremonial function related to a festival in honour of Queen Arsinoe, who was deified in her lifetime."

Excavations at Tel Kedesh began in 1997 and have uncovered remains of a large Persian-Hellenistic building, complete with reception halls, dining facilities, store rooms and archive, the antiquities authority said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100811/wl_mideast_afp/israelarchaeologycoin_20100811172637

joe_momma
11th August 2010, 12:26 PM
Please suppress this story, I do not want to hear about the gold coins being minted for our current deified leaders wife - "Moochelle Antionette"

;D

k-os
11th August 2010, 02:03 PM
How cool would it be to find something like that?

I am taking the metal detector on the Mystery Tour! Maybe I'll find something cool along the way. Certainly not as cool as a 2,200-year-old gold coin, but . . . maybe something.

Eyebone
11th August 2010, 02:20 PM
Can anyone see what that is on the reverse?

gunDriller
11th August 2010, 05:55 PM
i imagine it's quite addicting once you start finding stuff. it's sort of like hunting, you have the relaxation of walking around and then the rush of finding something real.

there's probably some historical sites that would be a good place to look for gold ... that haven't been picked over yet.

the question is, are there any that aren't underwater ? ;D

CrufflerJJ
14th August 2010, 07:24 PM

I think it's the famous dancing squid of Ptah. Or something like that.

Desolation LineTrimmer
14th August 2010, 08:24 PM
More details! what sort of container was it in?

Glass
14th August 2010, 09:58 PM
I like how it is a COIN but ITS NOT money. It's money but it isn't.

beefsteak
14th August 2010, 10:53 PM

I believe you'll discover find those are 3 Shofar horns depicted on the reverse. http://www.google.com/search?q=shofar+blowing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

They don't all have to be the double curlycue type. An ordinary Ram's horn Shofar can be used to announce an important event in that part of the world. Me? I can't blow a trumpet, let alone a RAM's horn.

Please note, however, the Shofar appears to be considerably shorter than the RI-COLA commercial tooter from the Alpsland. ;D

beefsteak (No, you can't break off one of my horns and blow through it either!!!! :lol

steyr_m
15th August 2010, 08:13 AM
It looks there is like some writing on the obverse. Can anyone tell which language it is? Hebrew? Greek? It looks like Hebrew to me, but I'm not sure.

ShortJohnSilver
18th August 2010, 07:49 PM
Definitely Greek given that Greek was the language of learning and culture at that time. Read about Ptolemy II : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_II_Philadelphus

Ragnarok
21st August 2010, 09:28 AM
More details! what sort of container was it in?

Too bad... seems they broke it out of the PCGS slab. ;D

R.