PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Facebook

sunshine05
13th August 2010, 09:27 AM
Okay, so I know most of you here avoid FB, and that is smart. I joined a while back to communicate with friends and family. I don't post there much, except on a private subgroup that I know is not really "private" but it is just a bunch of us moms. I post some political stuff, but nothing much really. Anyhow, I had photos of family trips on there. It was a good way to share photos with friends and family, or so I thought. The other day, on the right side of the main page, there was a cropped photo of my son. I moved to another page quickly and didn't see it again. Then last night I saw it again. I took a close look and it was his face cropped from a photo in one of my albums and it said something like "tag your photos for friends" so I clicked on it and then "next" and so on and there were many cropped faces from my photos. That really creeped me out. I deleted all my albums. It is so Orwellian. They want us to label every person in all our photos. It is just too much. I'm convinced now, although I already suspected the site is run by govt spooks. Has to be.

sirgonzo420
13th August 2010, 09:30 AM
Okay, so I know most of you here avoid FB, and that is smart. I joined a while back to communicate with friends and family. I don't post there much, except on a private subgroup that I know is not really "private" but it is just a bunch of us moms. I post some political stuff, but nothing much really. Anyhow, I had photos of family trips on there. It was a good way to share photos with friends and family, or so I thought. The other day, on the right side of the main page, there was a cropped photo of my son. I moved to another page quickly and didn't see it again. Then last night I saw it again. I took a close look and it was his face cropped from a photo in one of my albums and it said something like "tag your photos for friends" so I clicked on it and then "next" and so on and there were many cropped faces from my photos. That really creeped me out. I deleted all my albums. It is so Orwellian. They want us to label every person in all our photos. It is just too much. I'm convinced now, although I already suspected the site is run by govt spooks. Has to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLNlSKugHw

Saul Mine
13th August 2010, 09:53 AM
That would be an even more powerful flick if they would redo the sound track using someone who doesn't mumble like a kid.

Grand Master Melon
13th August 2010, 10:04 AM
I really despise facebook and signing up for it is one my biggest interweb regrets. Myspace doesn't seem to be quite as intrusive and I'm still at a loss as to why so many flew the coop and headed to facebook. Myspace has gone down the crapper most of the people I know who previously used it seldom do now, the great groups I belonged to are now more or less idle or overrun by spambots. It's like the Detroit of the interweb. Sad.

chad
13th August 2010, 10:07 AM
I really despise facebook and signing up for it is one my biggest interweb regrets. Myspace doesn't seem to be quite as intrusive and I'm still at a loss as to why so many flew the coop and headed to facebook. Myspace has gone down the crapper most of the people I know who previously used it seldom do now, the great groups I belonged to are now more or less idle or overrun by spambots. It's like the Detroit of the interweb. Sad.

because facebook doesn't start playing some shitty song 2 seconds after you load the page. :-[

Grand Master Melon
13th August 2010, 10:09 AM

because facebook doesn't start playing some sh*tty song 2 seconds after you load the page. :-[

Yeah they just try and get you to run a zoo or have a foodfight. Oh and when you run out of food to fling you can pay them money to buy more food to fling.

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty sure myspace has setting that make it so that the persons music player doesn't start automatically but of course that only applies to their player and not all the players people loaded on there themselves.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
13th August 2010, 10:45 AM
And what is up with all these people playing this farmville?? Are their lives really that empty?

1970 silver art
13th August 2010, 10:58 AM
And what is up with all these people playing this farmville?? Are their lives really that empty?

I guess they are trying to be farmers and grow their own food. That game on Facebook must be a very addictive game because most of my Facebook friends play this game. I do not play this game on FB. I do not play any games on FB. I just use FB to chat with people that I went to HS with.

AndreaGail
13th August 2010, 11:00 AM

yes

I know one person that skipped a class one day because she had to pick her crops before they went bad :oo-->

chad
13th August 2010, 11:05 AM
hey, don't knock all of it. i won a mafia wars jacket by playing. i sold it on ebay for $150 and picked up a 1/10 GAE and a six-pack with the proceeds.

Grand Master Melon
13th August 2010, 11:22 AM
hey, don't knock all of it. i won a mafia wars jacket by playing. i sold it on ebay for $150 and picked up a 1/10 GAE and a six-pack with the proceeds.

Sweet.

horseshoe3
13th August 2010, 12:04 PM
Myspace doesn't seem to be quite as intrusive and I'm still at a loss as to why so many flew the coop and headed to facebook.

Didn't you read any of the MSM headlines about 4 years ago? If you stay on Myspace, some 54 year old pervert will pose as one of your classmates, lure you to his house 3 states away, and have sex with you. Good thing there aren't any 54 year old perverts on Facebook. :oo-->

Carbon
13th August 2010, 12:26 PM
... i won a mafia wars jacket by playing. i sold it on ebay for $150 ...

Just wondering how long it took you to make that $150.00?

chad
13th August 2010, 12:31 PM

i don't know, really. i always play mafia wars when i am forced to be on long, boring conference calls. i have to sit on the calls anyway (which have nothing to do with my end of projects), so hey. in answer to your question, if i had to guess, 100+ hours :P

Awoke
13th August 2010, 12:49 PM
I experienced the same thing.
First a pic of a good friend of mine who is a member here, who will not join facebook, but ended up on facebook with a picture that someone I know uploaded.
Then again, with my own face.

You MUST know that mossad and CIA are using facebook as a data mining project, right?

Silver Rocket Bitches!
13th August 2010, 12:53 PM

i don't know, really. i always play mafia wars when i am forced to be on long, boring conference calls. i have to sit on the calls anyway (which have nothing to do with my end of projects), so hey. in answer to your question, if i had to guess, 100+ hours :P

$1.50 an hour, that's more than you'd make at a sweatshop....

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sweatshop.jpg

sunshine05
13th August 2010, 12:58 PM
I experienced the same thing.
First a pic of a good friend of mine who is a member here, who will not join facebook, but ended up on facebook with a picture that someone I know uploaded.
Then again, with my own face.

You MUST know that mossad and CIA are using facebook as a data mining project, right?

I'm not surprised. I just couldn't believe the photo-cropping/highlighting of faces. SO invasive.

zap
13th August 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi Sunshine I thought you moved on glad to see you here again. :D

Awoke
13th August 2010, 01:07 PM
It really brings the realisty of it home.

I heard google is working on facial recognition software for all the pics they have on their database as well, but I have not confirmed it yet.

PatColo
13th August 2010, 01:49 PM
Facebook, Twitter Revolutionizing How Parents Stalk Their College-Aged Kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4zMvE6FH4

StackerKen
13th August 2010, 02:06 PM
Im reall not worried about it.

'They" already have my drivers licence photo and all my info at DMV

madfranks
13th August 2010, 02:47 PM
Facebook is how I caught the cable install tech who stole from our house when he was supposed to be installing cable. Facebook gave me his full name, wife's name, phone number and lots of photos to identify him. I was able to use all that info on my own investigation and ended up getting the crook to confess. Just be careful what you post on there publicly; anyone could get it.

sunshine05
13th August 2010, 02:48 PM

But it's more than that Ken. They cropped a photo from my son's birthday party of a little girl from his preschool class. It's just not right for them to go through and isolate all the faces from my photo albums. Do you understand what I'm saying? They didn't just put my pictures out there.....they are cropped/edited and then shown back to me to try to get me to name the people.

Liquid
13th August 2010, 02:52 PM

No kidding. The gym now even has my thumbprint which is nuts. You put your thumbprint on the scanner, and put in your cell number.

I'm not really worried about it either, I've gone through so many indepth background checks in my life, I'm sure they know everything.

My beef with myspace and facebook, is the whole 'look at me' mentality. It's for children seeking attention, boasting about themselves. One big online popularity contest, I want nothing of it. ;D

Makes my stomach crawl.

Cebu_4_2
13th August 2010, 07:00 PM
Is this Silver positive?

steyr_m
13th August 2010, 09:53 PM

Three words... Bread and Circuses. OK, maybe one - Circuses.

StackerKen
13th August 2010, 10:10 PM

But it's more than that Ken. They cropped a photo from my son's birthday party of a little girl from his preschool class. It's just not right for them to go through and isolate all the faces from my photo albums. Do you understand what I'm saying? They didn't just put my pictures out there.....they are cropped/edited and then shown back to me to try to get me to name the people.

I hear you Sunshine. Really not cool of them to use the kids pictures like that. I have seen that. and I would never name them. Although I think with enough looking they might figure out the kids names anyway. But Im not sure why the CIA would need the kids names

Mouse
13th August 2010, 11:14 PM
It really brings the realisty of it home.

I heard google is working on facial recognition software for all the pics they have on their database as well, but I have not confirmed it yet.

Joe King
13th August 2010, 11:46 PM

I hear you Sunshine. Really not cool of them to use the kids pictures like that. I have seen that. and I would never name them. Although I think with enough looking they might figure out the kids names anyway. But Im not sure why the CIA would need the kids names
It's not a matter of "need" but rather an attempt to know everything they possibly can about as many people as possible throughout the course of their lives.

Children today will end up having their entire lives documented. {assuming this wonderful place lasts that long}

Think "RealID" gone pSyChO

Stop Making Cents
14th August 2010, 05:01 AM
Facebook is evil. Someone posted pictures of me on their page, but "tagged" me so now they show up in my photo album and now all my friends can see the pictures the other person posted whether i want them to or not. >:(

Stop Making Cents
14th August 2010, 05:03 AM
And the people that post comments about every little thing :conf: :oo-->

"I'm wiping my butt right now"

"Just brushed my teeth"

WTF? ???

sunshine05
14th August 2010, 06:24 AM
Facebook is evil. Someone posted pictures of me on their page, but "tagged" me so now they show up in my photo album and now all my friends can see the pictures the other person posted whether i want them to or not. >:(

I'm pretty sure you can delete that post from your page and it will disappear.

1970 silver art
14th August 2010, 06:51 AM

I'm pretty sure you can delete that post from your page and it will disappear.

I think that you can do that but I do not delete anything on my FB page because it is very amusing at times to see what people post. It is like following their life one step at a time. Of course I am also guilty of posting stuff about Absolutely Nothing (http://gold-silver.us/forum/religion-and-philosophy/the-thread-about-absolutely-nothing/440/) on GSUS. ;D

Awoke
15th August 2010, 04:39 AM

If you are a facebook member, you can remove your nametag from any photos you want.

k-os
15th August 2010, 10:51 AM
GSUS is my facebook.

stillwondering
15th August 2010, 11:25 AM
I think that Facebook and Myspace each have some really bad things that one needs to be aware of. At the same time, there are many pulls that make you just overlook these things and you find yourself mindlessly on the site for hours and wonder where your day went and why you have creepy people saying they know you.

I have some photos up, mostly my work that I am proud of because I do photography. On occasion, I have been known to share others with the permission of those in the photo because it is a great way for them to share their photo rather than me printing up a ton of photos for others when they are simply classified more as candids.

The potential of having some one being able to ID me through this site, it really doesn't bother me because, what is in my photos, I nor any one else are doing anything illegal. I have had so many background checks, finger printings, and photos taken for data bases that I think if they wanted to ID me, they very easily could!

I think the thing is we need to remember not to share anything we do not want everyone knowing. Do not assume that the information is secure. If there is even one person you don't want to know about it or see it, for heaven sakes, DON'T POST IT!

As for the goofy games on either site. I was addicted for a while to Mobsters on Myspace. I am so glad I am free of it. It was so bad that we had exchanged personal numbers! We knew about one another's family members, ages, who was coming and going, what activities they were doing. It was crazy! None of us knew if the other was telling the truth about who we really were. So be leery of that.

These sites are as good or bad as you would like to make them. This site could be just as dangerous when it comes to sharing personal information...

Just stay smart! Don't share what you don't want everyone to know. And if you have one of those cams, when you are not using it, unplug it!

There will always be SOMETHING out there we need to be aware of or needing to avoid. Just pay attention...

gunDriller
15th August 2010, 04:39 PM

oh man, you really hit a nerve there.

i can't STAND farmville.

i had people sending me these Facebook Farmville invites and i tried and i do not understand the attraction.

but i think for older people who are new to the Internet, and young people, Farmville can seem like a cool game.

generally i don't like Facebook because of the censorship (try posting a link about the Palestinians or starting a username with the word "Palestinian"). it is 110% Zionist Jewish programming, literally programming.

and their database is certainly used by the US gov. agencies.

but i do like it when some people have interesting things they do. one woman sent me an invite, and she has loads of cat and dog pics, she does animal rescue.

Awoke
16th August 2010, 04:59 AM
The potential of having some one being able to ID me through this site, it really doesn't bother me because, what is in my photos, I nor any one else are doing anything illegal. I have had so many background checks, finger printings, and photos taken for data bases that I think if they wanted to ID me, they very easily could!

If you are not actively educating people about the ways of the hebrew conspiracy, you have nothing to worry about.

gunDriller
16th August 2010, 05:35 AM
If you are not actively educating people about the ways of the hebrew conspiracy, you have nothing to worry about.

speaking of which - ever seen Heeb magazine ?
http://www.heebmagazine.com/

Awoke
16th August 2010, 05:40 AM
Is that link safe for work?

gunDriller
16th August 2010, 08:49 AM
Is that link safe for work?

for the most part.

there's a picture of a Roman Polanski birthday card, for example.

Awoke
16th August 2010, 12:02 PM

That has got to be the most pointless E-zine I have ever seen.

BrewTech
16th August 2010, 12:43 PM

That has got to be the most pointless E-zine I have ever seen.

I wasn't terribly impressed. The "gratuitous jewess" section was ok, but I won't be revisiting.