EE_
13th August 2010, 08:17 PM
anyone spent any time there?
Opportunity or yawn fest?

Liquid
13th August 2010, 08:25 PM

I swung at anchor in Morro Bay, which is close by.

Enjoy the beaches and the slow pace of life. It's good for the soul...if you are adventurous, grab a board and catch some waves. ;D

joe_momma
13th August 2010, 08:27 PM
Did 4 years at Cal Poly - getting the undergrad degree. It is (at best) a sleepy town (for non-college students) - social/cultural events are rather far and few between (granted I'd come up from Los Angeles - so that may bias my recollection a bit).

That being said - great weather, Paso Robles has not too inferior wineries, Moro Bay, Pismo beach, and the dunes are nearby. Good pig hunting nearby if you check around.

For anything bordering on entertainment, LA or SFO are about equidistant.

The university and men's prison are the big employers in the city.

Rents are (relatively) high (given the student pressure on housing) though as a worker you'll do fine.

You may find it to be like a bedroom community without a major city nearby.

(If I could afford to retire - SLO would be on the short list).

Take the gig - central coast has its charms.

Desolation LineTrimmer
13th August 2010, 08:29 PM
San Luis is a fine city.

joe_momma
13th August 2010, 08:30 PM
Its a college party town.

(For enginerds!- C'mon - Poly is a dry campus and has no football team - face it, on the SDSU/Davis scale, SLO does not even register!)

:D

zap
13th August 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm heading that way in the am. thru San Luis to Pismo beach then back around to Morro Bay maybe have some lunch on the ocean, we used to go down that way quite a bit to get out of the heat, once your over Questa Grade it cools off 20 degrees, kinda a college, touristy town. there are good restaurants and the beach is close.

Sorry not much help.

EE_
13th August 2010, 08:37 PM
Slow and easy with nice scenery might be nice.
I could be up for some extensive wine tasting.

AndreaGail
13th August 2010, 08:42 PM

I swung at anchor in Morro Bay, which is close by.

Enjoy the beaches and the slow pace of life. It's good for the soul...if you are adventurous, grab a board and catch some waves. ;D

cool, my family and i lived there for a few years a couple decades ago :)

went back to visit a few years back and i enjoyed the pace of life and scenery

climbed a little around morro rock as well
http://www.cuesta.edu/deptinfo/geology/Images/air_morro2.jpg

Liquid
13th August 2010, 09:30 PM
Beautiful, if not understated coastline and beaches, casual meandering countryside, and great weather. Reminded me of what California used to be like up this way. I'd give it a thumbs-up.

Yeah, I give it a thumbs ups too. ;D

EE, I really think you will enjoy SLO, and the Cali coast. Where are you coming from, pray tell? If you decide to explore the SF bay area, northbound, let me know for sure.

StackerKen
13th August 2010, 10:55 PM
Beautiful, if not understated coastline and beaches, casual meandering countryside, and great weather. Reminded me of what California used to be like up this way. I'd give it a thumbs-up.

Yeah, I give it a thumbs ups too. ;D

EE, I really think you will enjoy SLO, and the Cali coast. Where are you coming from, pray tell? If you decide to explore the SF bay area, northbound, let me know for sure.

Thumbs up from me also. I think it would be a fine place to live.

Except Ca. gun laws suck...and the Taxes...

gunDriller
14th August 2010, 07:28 AM

http://i34.tinypic.com/2z69v0p.jpg

i think, more like an opportunity.

i don't think i ever drove that Highway 1 West to Morro Bay from SLO.

many of us Calif. residents experience SLO at 60 MPH.

which reminds me - be careful on your speed. the cops tolerate 75 MPH routinely on much of 101, then clamp down roughly in the SLO area. $300 ticket etc.

the coastal area is beautiful, if you get out there you will think "question answered".

as far as SLO Cal Poly ... i've worked with a few SLO grads ... they were normal, for Californians.