PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen fires: Burned by bad habits

MNeagle
14th August 2010, 08:56 PM
http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/502*418/1fire0815.jpg
A fire began early on July 29 in an Edina apartment’s kitchen after a resident cooking rice apparently fell asleep. The blaze did at least $10,000 in damage and left the unit uninhabitable

Some late-night munchies sounded good, so the Edina resident began boiling a pot of rice on the stove after midnight and then "lost track of time."

Twenty minutes later, flames were licking the kitchen cabinets above the stove.

The resident tried fighting the fire with wet towels before a neighbor arrived with a fire extinguisher. Smoke had wafted through three floors of the apartment building. The July fire left the unit uninhabitable and did $10,000 to $15,000 worth of damage.

That 911 call -- "My kitchen is on fire!" -- is the most common emergency call made to fire departments in Minnesota and nationally.

And it's not just because the kitchen is where you use flames and heat. People increasingly are distracted or trying to do more than one thing at once, and forget that they have a pot bubbling on the stove or a pizza in the oven.

"People get interrupted, they think they can walk away from cooking bacon or French fries," said Edina Fire Marshal Tom Jenson. "People just don't realize how fast things can change. You raise the temperature of cooking oil to 680 degrees, and the vapors can ignite."

In 2009, cooking fires caused more than 3,200 structure fires in Minnesota -- 49 percent of the total, according to the state fire marshal's office.

While careless smoking is the single biggest cause of fire deaths in the state -- 10 deaths were caused by careless smoking in 2009, compared with just two for unattended cooking -- cooking fires do the most damage to buildings and cause the most injuries, said State Fire Marshal Jerry Rosendahl.

Some fires start when people stick metal containers in microwaves -- a no-no -- or burn something in a toaster. Turn on the wrong burner, and the potholder or box sitting on the stove top ignites. People brush against knobs, accidentally turning a burner on, or turn on the oven and forget that bags of potato chips were stored there.

Leave the kitchen? No

But most cooking fires result from unattended pots and pans that boil dry or overheat. Fire officials worry most about fires that spontaneously ignite when oil is overheated.

That happened in Roseville last year, when a resident who was trying a new recipe misread the instructions, heating the oil 100 degrees higher than recommended. It burst into flames.

"They were in the kitchen when it flashed, went up the kitchen cabinets and spilled over," said Roseville Fire Chief Tim O'Neill. "They were evacuated with no injuries, but it damaged the kitchen significantly."

O'Neill said he is amazed how many times he hears about people who begin cooking something on the stove and then leave the house to go to the store.

Richfield Fire Chief Brad Sveum said his firefighters have dealt with people who were out drinking or partying, came home and wanted something to eat, and then passed out or fell asleep while their food bubbled away on the stove.
Rosendahl, Jenson, O'Neill and Sveum agreed that the best way to handle a kitchen fire is to try to turn off the heat, cover the burning pot or pan, and call 911.

"I always tell people if the thought occurs, 'Should I call 911?', you should," Rosendahl said. "And then get out."

The professionals were not enthusiastic about fire extinguishers, which they said many people don't know how to use and often store dangerously close to the stove. People should be moving away from stoves in the event of fire, not toward them.

They were emphatic that you should never try to move a burning pot or pan to the sink. That could spread a fire.

Oil and water don't mix

The worst mistake -- and the most dangerous one -- is to try to put out an oil fire with water. Water makes burning oil spatter, spreading the blaze.

"Put a lid or cover on it, turn off the heat source and call 911 immediately," Rosendahl said.

The dangers of kitchen fires will be featured at the State Fair on Aug. 27, which is Governor's Fire Prevention Day. The St. Paul Fire Department will use a mobile kitchen to show what happens when 1 inch of oil overheats in a skillet, and what happens when water is thrown on it.

In general, the number of fires is going down in Minnesota. But because so many kitchen fires are confined to pots and pans and are quelled by residents, fire officials suspect there are many more kitchen fires than get reported.

Jenson confessed that even fire professionals aren't immune from rushing away from a stove to check on a child or answer the phone.
"I'm guilty of taking a quick dash away, and then you come back and think, 'Where did that last five minutes go?' " he said. "Society is running a lot faster today ... But when you have something on top of the stove, stay and watch it or turn it off."

Mary Jane Smetanka • 612-673-7380

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/100696189.html?page=1&c=y

Liquid
14th August 2010, 09:02 PM
You should always have a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen.

Don't multitask, or minimize it, if you are in the kitchen cooking stay in the kitchen.

MNeagle
14th August 2010, 09:04 PM
Or the bare minimum, baking soda will suffocate a lot of fires too. Turn off heat, cover, sprinkle.

Liquid
14th August 2010, 09:07 PM
Or the bare minimum, baking soda will suffocate a lot of fires too. Turn off heat, cover, sprinkle.

The bare minimum should be to always have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. ;D

MNeagle
14th August 2010, 09:29 PM
I did this for years:

The professionals were not enthusiastic about fire extinguishers, which they said many people don't know how to use and often store dangerously close to the stove. People should be moving away from stoves in the event of fire, not toward them.

My fire extinguisher is now in my garage, 15 feet from my kitchen. It still has it's safety zipline on it, so I doubt it would even activate if I pushed the nozzle. Plus it's been in sub-zero temps last winter. I know, I know, I need a new one. Just a PSA for all our cooks here!

Liquid
14th August 2010, 09:40 PM
MNeagle, there's different schools of thought on how to attack a fire. The safest one, is to retreat. That is the advise, you will be given by 'professionals'.

I personally believe to attack quickly and aggressively, knock it down quickly. Hence, having an extinguisher handy, when needed. If you have to retreat into your garage for the extinguisher, you may be too late to win the battle.

It's not hard or terribly expensive to have one handy in the kitchen.

Most fires in homes start in the kitchen, it's a good place to prepare for that.

Glass
14th August 2010, 10:00 PM
Doesn't Bi-carbonate of soda kill oil fires by depleting the oxygen getting into the fire? I've heard that. Keeping a container of that handy could be useful.

Heimdhal
15th August 2010, 08:55 AM
Baking soda is great for small kitchen fires. And so is salt. Both are really cheap. If you can just throw a couple big handfulls of salt on the oil and that will usualy nock it out pretty good.

If its small and in the pan, salt and then covering the pan with a sheet pan or something and letting it sit till its cool is what we do in kitchens. If its spreading and getting bigger, dont be hesitent with the extinguisher. In fact many kitchen extinguishers are based around what basicaly is baking soda. Its non toxic and can be cleaned, so dont be shy.

Ive got a small one right next to the stove, and thankfull I've never needed it, but for 10-15 bucks it brings a lot of peace of mind when Im in there experimenting.

Joe King
4th December 2010, 08:31 PM
Fire extinguishers are a great thing to have. Everyone should have several.

Another good thing to have that would probably prevent a lot of these kitchen fires is a $2 kitchen timer (http://www.amazon.com/Country-Chicken-Shaped-Kitchen-Cooking/dp/B0030MLHH0) so when people insist on walking off to do something else, they'll at least have a reminder that it's been "x" number of minutes, so they don't let their pots boil dry and start a fire to begin with.

I got a lesson in having a timer when this girl I know tried to make hard boiled eggs....and then "forgot" about them.
No fire, but they did turn into little gernades full of super hot burnt egg that started popping off. Made a pretty good mess.

Edited to add: If you don't have a fire extinguisher, run out and buy at least one right now.
....and another for the car.

muffin
30th December 2010, 09:13 AM
Fire extinguishers are a great thing to have. Everyone should have several.

Another good thing to have that would probably prevent a lot of these kitchen fires is a $2 kitchen timer (http://www.amazon.com/Country-Chicken-Shaped-Kitchen-Cooking/dp/B0030MLHH0) so when people insist on walking off to do something else, they'll at least have a reminder that it's been "x" number of minutes, so they don't let their pots boil dry and start a fire to begin with.

I got a lesson in having a timer when this girl I know tried to make hard boiled eggs....and then "forgot" about them.
No fire, but they did turn into little gernades full of super hot burnt egg that started popping off. Made a pretty good mess.

Edited to add: If you don't have a fire extinguisher, run out and buy at least one right now.
....and another for the car.

I cannot cook without my microwave timer. I can't help it, but I am the type that walks away from cooking food. Yes, I have been guilty of leaving bacon frying or oil heating up. It's a bad habit. I learned it from watching my mom do it a million times as a kid. It's no excuse tho. So I am an avid supporter of using the timer.

We also have fire extinguishers. Our kitchen one is under the sink. Readily available (not behind a bunch of cleaning supplies). We also have one in just about every other room, especially the rooms with fireplaces. There are 2 in the garage and a car size one in at least 2 cars (the older cars). We have a fire escape ladder under the upstairs bedroom. Readily available (not in the closet buried behind old clothes). We have to be prepared because we live out in the country. I was told by a volunteer firefighter in another town that even tho we live only 5 miles from the closest town, the firefighters WILL NOT come to our rescue because we do not live IN town. We have to call the rural FD. And that one is even further away! Not to mention, we have to give directions on how to get here which is no easy feat. No convenient road names like in town. I can't rely on that....

hoarder
4th January 2011, 05:06 PM
I bought a small hand wind timer and set it on my desk next to the computer.

BTW, just because baking soda and salt are good to throw on fires, don't throw flour....KABOOOOM!

Dogman
5th January 2011, 04:38 AM
This link is to a free clock/timer that I use , a clock and also timer that lives on the top of my desktop, both stay on top of any programs I run. The timer can be countdown or up. I use the
countdown when cooking, to remind me that I have something going on in the kitchen. Plus handy
for reminding me that I am doing other stuff around the house, Keeps me from getting wrapped up and forgetting what is happing when using the computer.

Lots of features and can be configured to individual taste!

http://www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/ (http://www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/)

ShortJohnSilver
12th January 2011, 07:08 PM
Why is wood used so much in the construction of kitchens? Stainless steel , heck, any kind of metal would make a lot more sense.

osoab
12th January 2011, 07:12 PM
Why is wood used so much in the construction of kitchens? Stainless steel , heck, any kind of metal would make a lot more sense.

I would be more concerned with plastics.

coachesclicker
12th January 2011, 07:23 PM
A timer is an essential tool for the kitchen especially for long cooking times.