PDA

View Full Version : Spots on my Silver Maple Leafs

Stop Making Cents
17th August 2010, 07:59 PM
Anybody had this happen to them? I ordered a bunch of 1 oz Silver Maple Leafs from a major internet bullion dealer. I kept them in their plastic holders and stuck them away. 6 months later I pull them out and they all have spots all over them. They look like water marks or something, and they haven't been anywhere near water. Not just on a few of them, but all of them. My dad ordered some too, and he had the same thing happen. What ticks me off is that I paid a premium to order the Maples. I would've just ordered generic rounds if i knew this was going to happen.

Very frustrating. Anybody know how this could have happened or what could have caused it?

Joe King
31st August 2010, 12:00 AM
They are called milk spots and are well known to be found on silver maples.

Keep in mind that Maples are just bullion and the spots don't affect the value of the silver itself.

This is the Mint's official position: The coins are bullion coins. They are not collector coins. They are sold as one ounce of silver. The Mint knows that there is a problem. The problem has existed since 1988, when the SML coin was first introduced. The Mint says that there is nothing that they can do about the problem.

Sorry 4!

AndreaGail
31st August 2010, 02:59 PM
iirc i've seen a couple inside the official RCM wrapping, so yeah, I think it is the mints problem

steyr_m
31st August 2010, 08:02 PM
In the coin shop that I usually go to, the owner told me he knows a guy who works at the RCM (the mint is in my city) and those spots are from the lube used in the stamping process.

Stop Making Cents
3rd September 2010, 08:23 PM
Very interesting - thanks for the info guys! I've been meaning to get a picture of them uploaded, hopefully I will soon

cthulu
23rd October 2010, 03:14 PM
Keep in mind that Maples are just bullion and the spots don't affect the value of the silver itself.

Yes, but try and sell it to someone. They won't want it without a steep discount.

Orion
26th October 2010, 04:46 PM
So long as they are uncirculated, even if not brilliant uncirculated, you can unload them on BullionDirect without too much trouble. As per their specifications:

Symbol: SICM001 Weight: 1.00 oz. actual; 0.07 lbs. shipping Condition: Uncirculated Denomination: $5 Canada Content: 99.9% pure silver

(edit: it took me three tries to post this, what the heck is going on?!)