PDA

View Full Version : Phase of a 7½-year war

DBCooper
18th August 2010, 08:38 PM
IRAQ-KUWAIT BORDER — The last U.S. combat troops crossed the border into Kuwait on Thursday morning, bringing to a close the active combat phase of a 7½-year war that overthrew the dictatorial regime of Saddam Hussein, forever defined the presidency of George W. Bush and left more than 4,400 American service members and tens of thousands of Iraqis dead.

The final convoy of the Army’s 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Lewis, Wash., began entering Kuwait about 1:30 a.m. (6:30 p.m. Wednesday ET), carrying the last of the 14,000 U.S. combat forces in Iraq, said NBC’s Richard Engel, who has been traveling with the brigade as it moved out this week.

NBC News video showed the last Stryker vehicles rolling up to the gate. A guard pulled it back, and the vehicles drove through. The gate closed behind them.

P.J. Crowley, a spokesman for the State Department, told msnbc TV that while the departure is “an historic moment,” he said, it is not the end of the U.S. mission in Iraq.

“We are ending the war ... but we are not ending our work in Iraq,” he said. “We have a long-term commitment to Iraq.”

The White House website first trumpeted the "End of Combat in Iraq" before backtracking to note that the official end of combat operations is Aug. 31.

Still, and as the last soldiers reached Kuwait after midnight, they said they were proud of their effort.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38744453?GT1=43001

Heimdhal
18th August 2010, 08:59 PM
and only 7 years after we officialy declared "Mission Accomplished" and that "all major combat operations are over" in Iraq. GO figure.

DBCooper
18th August 2010, 09:01 PM
That's why i put in this section.
But i have more to add later,and i hope others do as well.

Glass
18th August 2010, 10:03 PM
4,400 American service members
About 70, 000 more

and tens of thousands of Iraqis dead
tens of hundreds of thousands...

mike88
19th August 2010, 01:18 AM
add radoiactive pollution from all the depleted uranium munitions, and the resulting birth defects for who knows how many generations. still no indictments for the war criminals employing these weapons of genocide and mass destruction.

DBCooper
19th August 2010, 02:54 AM
Yes,and i have no doubt there is more to follow.

But keep em coming.