PDA

View Full Version : Coin Show report - Dalton, GA

1970 silver art
20th August 2010, 01:35 PM
Today is the first day of the 51st Annual Blue Ridge Numismatic Association coin show. It is a 3-day show that started today and ends on Sunday. Spot gold was about $1226 and spot silver was about $18.09 when I left to go to the show. I arrived at the show at about 9:55 AM and I checked Kitco.com on my phone I saw that spot gold fell to $1222 and spot silver fell to $17.99. I usually check spot prices in order to get an idea of what to expect on premiums that various dealers are going to charge.

I did not have any problems finding a place to park but once I got inside the lobby of the convention center and went in to get a name tag, it was very crowded. The one thing that I noticed this year is that they did not ask me for my driver's license or any other identification. I guess they already knew me from last year.

Once I got inside the main convention center, I started looking around and observing the various gold and silver coins and bars. Of course my main objective for me was to find '70's silver art bars that were on my list and to find some that I had a very strong interest in collecting. Unfortunately, I 1.) Did not find many '70's silver art bars that I was interested in despite the fact that there were quite a few of them present and 2.) The ones that I found that were on my silver art bar "wish list" were out of my price range. So far that was a disappointment I ended up buying only a few '70's silver art bars today, however, I plan to go back on the next day (Saturday) to try again.

While I was searching for art bars, I also observed some prices on other gold and silver coins and bars. Some of the prices I found were as follows:

Silver Eagles: $21 to $22 I saw a dealer that was selling 2010 Silver Eagles for $23.00.

1/10 Gold Eagles: The lowest price that I was given was $135.00. I have seen another dealer table that had some for $145.00.

Generic .999 silver: Lowest price = $18.50, Highest price = $20.00.

Silver Art bars: Some of the common ones were priced between $18.50 and $20.00. Of course there were some that were priced at ebay premiums.

1-oz Krugs: $1253.00. I just went to one table just to get an idea. Some other dealers might have them for more or less than $1253.00

1-oz Gold Eagle: $1289.00. As with the 1-oz Krug. I just went to one table to get an idea of what a 1-oz GAE was going for.

100-silver bars: $1892.00 for a 100-oz Engelhard bar. I saw mainly Engelhard bars. I did see a JM 100-oz bar but I did not ask how much it was.

1/10 oz krug: $130 was the lowest price that I have heard at the show.

I did see a slabbed MS-70 graded UHR priced at $2250 but I forgot if it was a PCGS slab or an NGC slab. I also saw some raw UHR's but I did not ask what the selling price was for them. There was plenty of gold and silver at this show. They had all sorts of Numismatic coins (slabbed and raw). Of course they had junk silver as well as some jewelry at this coin show. I was there at the show for a while. I left the show at about 1:45 PM. I was tired when I got back home. I plan to go back to the show tomorrow. For the time being, I do not plan to go on Sunday but I could possibly change my mind depending on how Saturday goes and how many FRN's I have left after Saturday.

1970 silver art
21st August 2010, 11:53 AM
I went back to the coin show today to see what '70's silver art bars I could find to add to my silver art bar collection. The bad news is that I was not able to find any silver art bars that I was interested in buying. I walked throughout the whole floor and there were several dealer tables that had '70's silver art bars but I did not see anything that was either on my wish list or in my price range. However, I did find a very small gold coin that I liked while I was at the show today. Here is what it looks like:

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/COScollect/1992GoldCat.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/COScollect/1992GoldCatBack.jpg

It is a 1992 Isle of Man gold coin. The cat on the obverse side of the coin is a Siamese Cat. The size of this gold coin is 1/25 oz (0.04 oz). I paid $30.00 dollars for this gold coin (Friday spot gold closed at $1228.00/oz). I do not think that this is a bad price because I usually see this type and size of gold coin sell for much more than $30. The Isle of Man gold coins usually have very high premiums on them. This was the best deal of the coin show for me.

So far for me, this show was just ok for me. Not great but not terrible either. I thought that the prices on the gold and silver bullion were very good. I cannot speak for the prices of numismatic gold and silver because I am not that familiar with it. The only thing that made it just "ok" was that I was disappointed that I did not find many '70's silver art bars that were on my "wish list". The '70's silver art bars that I did find at the show that were on my "wish list" were out of my price range and therefore I did not buy them. The good part of this show was the fact that I found that Isle of Man gold coin at a very good price.

At the end of my time there today, I bought some collector related supplies while I was at the show. The last day of the show is on Sunday but I have not made a final decision on if I am going tomorrow. I am leaning towards not going tomorrow but I will make a final decision later tonight.

Jenna
21st August 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the updates, Josey, very informative. What a difference a few years can make on some of those gold prices :o

Texan
22nd August 2010, 02:18 PM
Talk about a smokin' deal, Art. Almost fifty bucks worth of gold and you only paid $30? Well done and thanks for the report!

1970 silver art
22nd August 2010, 03:14 PM
Talk about a smokin' deal, Art. Almost fifty bucks worth of gold and you only paid $30? Well done and thanks for the report!

I could be wrong on this but I suspect that he mis-calculated because I asked him twice how much was this old coin and he told me again that it was $30 even though there was a price of $50 on the plastic flap. The dealer asked me how much was 1/25 and I told him that 1/25 = 0.04. The dealer at this particular table told me that melt value for this 1/25 th oz gold coin was $31. I am not sure how he got that and I did not question it but I still thought to myself that he might have possibly miscalculated because $1228 spot gold (Friday's close) X 0.04 oz = $49.12 worth of gold in that 1/25 oz gold coin but then again maybe I was wrong in my calculations. He told me that I was getting a very good deal on this gold coin and I believed him. I am mainly a silver art bar bar collector and I usually do not buy gold but I was familiar with those 1/25 oz Isle of Man gold coins and the premium it usually commands and when he quoted me that price of $30 for that gold coin, then I immediately purchased that gold coin from him.

He had 2 more of those 1/25 oz gold coins and I would have bought another one but I was getting low on FRNs since I bought some silver art bars on Friday. Another thing was that he gave me special treatment because he said that if someone else came along and wanted the remaining two 1/25 oz gold coins, then he said to me that he would have charged them $35.00 each for them to other people. I think that I might have bought some silver art bars from him in a past coin show but I do not quite remember.

What really brought this whole thing into perspective in terms of the good deal that I received on that Isle of Man coin was the fact that I saw another dealer selling other 1/25 oz Isle of Man gold coins for between $95-$125.

That was the best deal ever on any coin that I received.

willie pete
22nd August 2010, 03:26 PM
i would've bought ALL he had at that price, $30 for the 1/25th Oz Cat coin is the same as paying $750 an ounce for Au

1970 silver art
22nd August 2010, 03:36 PM
i would've bought ALL he had at that price, $30 for the 1/25th Oz Cat coin is the same as paying $750 an ounce for Au

I wish I would have seem those gold coins on the first day of the show. I was so busy looking for and buying a few 70's silver art bars that I missed it when I was walking around the many different dealer tables that were there. I missed it despite the fact that I was at the coin show for almost 4 hours on that first day on Friday. There were about 200 tables at this coin show and I walked around many of those tables and I still missed it that first day of the show. I am just glad that I came back on the second day on Saturday and saw those gold coins. :)

EDIT:I wished that I would have able to buy more of those Isle of Man 1/25 oz gold coins but I was getting low on FRNs. :'(

gunDriller
22nd August 2010, 09:49 PM
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/COScollect/1992GoldCat.jpg

Isle of Man and their cats.

i like the look. makes me wonder how it started. mint director's wife a cat-phile ?

it would be cool to find a history book that explains some of the human feelings & stories behind these precious metal designs.

Texan
22nd August 2010, 11:37 PM
As an aside, I once had a bad idea and thought I'd test the softness of gold with a 1/25th ounce Isle of Man gold coin. Long story short, they can be bent easily.