PDA

View Full Version : Thought-Provoking Thread at LATOC Forum

Book
24th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Consider that we live in a world of limited resources. Any mass movement would accelerate doom and also prevent those preparing for it, to lose access to resources need. Imagine if you prepare with sufficient resources to carry yourself and your family through the collapse, then suddenly 300 people show up to consume your resources. This is what would happen. We can see this in regions that get inflicted with severe weather where the supermarket shelfs go bare in a matter of a few hours, and every rushs at the last minute to stock up. Mass acknowledgment would do the same, but not just for food, but for everything, building supplies, machinery, fuel, etc, as everyone rushs out to build themselves a lifeboat. Even worse the Majority of the people wouldn't know what to do. They would be in panic mode buying everything and stealing everything not nailed down. Since they lack any real knowledge of long term self-sustainable, much of it the stuff they acquired would go to waste. Its also highly probably that hysteric and delusion would result in mass civil disobedience as the common folk go berserk, trashing everything and anyone in their path of self-destruction.

To put it simply: You don't want the masses to get it! You want them to continue operating business as usual, until the bitter end.

I don't discuss collapse with anyone. I usually tiptoe around it. I try to steer them in a direction that this less bad the other options. Since the economy sucks I have used it has a back stop to provide useful recommendations, such as build up a cash reserve in case your lose your job, or your wages\hours are cut, or your benefit costs rise significantly. Don't buy a new car, buy a used one, Don't buy an bigger home, prices will continue to keep on sliding for many years. I've had some limited success applying this method.

Another example, is a friend of my is getting re-married, he and his soon to be wife want to have kids, but are unable to induce pregnancy naturally, They are going to fertility clinic. I have suggested adoption as an option. I have no chance of getting through to him that his offspring will suffer greatly in the future. Since an adopted child is already born, it wouldn't be be adding another child destine to suffer, and would fulfill the desire to have children. Unfortunately I have not be able to convince him choose adoption. He is focus on have his own children, and I doubt that anyone or even the command of God would alter his decision. FWIW: I can no longer see childeren at play without have the feeling of depression and remorse (even though I have no children). I cannot remove the thought that most if not all of the childeren I see will suffer greatly and the majority will probably not see adulthood. I see many Gen X and Gen Y couples with very young children, that were obviously conceived during the age "home prices only go up and I am going to be rich, rich rich!" in the not too distant past.

I believe the idea of steering people using indirect discussions is the only way you'll have a chance to impart change on people you know. We live in a world where doomers are mostly outcasts and consider as either as weirdos or delusional. I believe this is significantly framed by many doomers of the past, such as the "Heaven Gates Cult" that led to a mass suicide back in 1997, or the hundreds of other doomer cults that prophetized doom that failed to materialize. Its "the Boy that called wolf" syndrome. Others simply choose to live in ignorant bliss they don't want to know that really bad days are ahead. They want to continue to live like kings and nothing will convince them of reality. Much as there have been cults of doom, we live in a society of the cult of the cornucopia. Trying to convince them that they belong to delusional cult, is impossible. You'll have better luck converting Jews in Muslims or Muslims in to Jews than enlightening the cult of the corncopians. Mass delusions are impossible to stop until their world comes crashing down. Take the recent "housing bubble" when it was impossible to convince anyone that it delusional to believe that home prices only go up! Even today, the Majority believe that home prices will continue rising again in the next year or two.

On a side note, I doubt many doomers here are preparing for a long term collapse. Most just want to buy a few acres in the country and year's supply of dry food, and think that they survive, or they have some delusion that they can survive off the land with a bug-out bag. or that they can survive in there suburban home with 10K rounds of ammo, a few onces of gold and silver, and a six months of food supplies. As much as I have tried to convince them otherwise, I have flat-out failed to get through. I think most doomers, practice doomerism as a hobby or believe it will be a much needed change in society. If I can't convince doomers how to get prepared for long term survival, there is absolutely no chance to convince friends and family that aren't doomers to make realistic preparation.

http://www.doomers.us/forum2/index.php/topic,73821.msg1151327.html#msg1151327

:o

Glass
25th August 2010, 03:35 AM
To put it simply: You don't want the masses to get it! You want them to continue operating business as usual, until the bitter end.

Yes. This is my view too. I hate to say it but I have given up. My only goal is to let them consume themselves when SHTF and hopefully I'll get through it. I try and talk to family about plans and routes to get out of the city when it happens and they look even more incredulous than when I warned of the collapse.

I am not at the cards on the table point. I'll commit to trying to make it to a pre agreed location to travel together with family to get out of dodge but if they don't want to agree now, I will not make any attempt. I'll just try and head straight out on my own.

SHTF2010
25th August 2010, 05:59 AM
when the big shit hits the little fan, i'll be in one of my BOL's for 30 days

i do believe there will be a mega population panic attack, with food being the first concern for all

and any sheeple that survive these first 30 days of panic SHTF, won't be sheeple any more