PDA

View Full Version : Arming others post SHTF

Heimdhal
25th August 2010, 08:08 PM
I posted this recently on another (gun) forum that I frequent and thought it would be suitable here as well.

The question is, and Im sure its been brought up before, in some type of SHTF where one would need to be armed (looters after major storm all the way to a mad max/the road world). Would you arm your neighbors if you had the resources to do so?

I know alot of you live in rural areas where people are fairly prepped to begin with, but feel free to contribute with those that arent in mind. ;)

I know its a hottly debated situation, but please discuss.

willie pete
25th August 2010, 08:16 PM
I'd have to be VERY sure and to make sure they were on the same page as me....the first thing I'd ask myself; Why aren't they armed? (prepped)

Heimdhal
25th August 2010, 08:38 PM
I'd have to be VERY sure and to make sure they were on the same page as me....the first thing I'd ask myself; Why aren't they armed? (prepped)

Of course.

Id say, for the purpose of this particular disucssion, assume that maybe a few of them may have some circumstance that is beyond their control. As in, they had a generator catch fire and it burned their house down, or they were decent and good people but one had had some BS felony charge or something and therefore could not own guns, or they had a few handguns with low ammo reserves, but juts a .38 isnt going to keep the zombies at bay.

;)

willie pete
25th August 2010, 08:50 PM

Of course.

Id say, for the purpose of this particular disucssion, assume that maybe a few of them may have some circumstance that is beyond their control. As in, they had a generator catch fire and it burned their house down, or they were decent and good people but one had had some BS felony charge or something and therefore could not own guns, or they had a few handguns with low ammo reserves, but juts a .38 isnt going to keep the zombies at bay.

;)

Oh yea,...after they passed the smell test, I'd recruit'em :D , the zombies would be coming after them as well as everyone else

zap
25th August 2010, 09:10 PM
That is a hard question, to many variables, so I got some neighbors whose house burned down. They could come live up here but they would have to helpout and protect the property, ya they could use my guns. I wouldn't go giving my guns away though.

Book
25th August 2010, 10:06 PM
Would you arm your neighbors if you had the resources to do so?

http://www.murphysmarketplace.com/images/garden+tools.jpg

Sure. I'll stand guard as they harvest my dinner...lol.

:D

Phoenix
25th August 2010, 10:21 PM
A much more likely scenario is having to arm oneself against one's neighbors.

If they don't have weapons, they likely don't have any preps...and they're gonna come to you for all of it.

House burned down or no guns because of a political felony are scenarios in the tenths of percents probability.

Heimdhal
25th August 2010, 10:45 PM

If they don't have weapons, they likely don't have any preps...and they're gonna come to you for all of it.

House burned down or no guns because of a political felony are scenarios in the tenths of percents probability.

Maybe, but house destroyed because of a hurricane or earthquake and a Katrina like aftermath and subsequent govt reponse are in a quite high probability.

Phoenix
25th August 2010, 10:53 PM

Maybe, but house destroyed because of a hurricane or earthquake and a Katrina like aftermath and subsequent govt reponse are in a quite high probability.

Anyone in a hurricane zone is, by definition, "not prepared." It's the same as living in a city. And anyone who surrendered their weapons, rendering themselves helpless during Katrina, was a fool. Yes, a shootout with the cops was justified under such circumstances.

As for earthquakes, if you don't live inside a city, again, hardly a problem. Put up your tent or move into your RV/trailer, and bear your arms as before. It's even legal under California laws (bearing arms within one's home, home-equivalent, or campsite is essentially unrestricted).

The main thrust of this thread remains: do not arm those who failed to take adequate measures to prepare themselves.

LuckyStrike
26th August 2010, 05:21 PM
I don't know about neighbors but I'd def. arm less prepared friends. What the hell is the point of having multiple guns if you don't intend on starting an army.

Phoenix
26th August 2010, 05:51 PM
I don't know about neighbors but I'd def. arm less prepared friends. What the hell is the point of having multiple guns if you don't intend on starting an army.

The only non-household members I'd consider handing a gun would be people I would consider extended family, either biologically or psychologically. And there aren't many of those for me.

"Friends" in a sunshine period are great to hang out with. "Friends" when the clouds arrive could turn into your worse nightmare. Blood brotherhood of olden tymes isn't taken seriously by most any more. In other words, you can't trust most "friends."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYwmHiseXQ

LuckyStrike
26th August 2010, 06:02 PM
"Friends" in a sunshine period are great to hang out with. "Friends" when the clouds arrive could turn into your worse nightmare. Blood brotherhood of olden tymes isn't taken seriously by most any more. In other words, you can't trust most "friends."

That is indeed true for friends that are untried, I'm not talking about arming acquaintances but rather the close friends who I have been through enough situations with to know how they handle themselves under pressure and whether or not they would roll on you if things went south.

Phoenix
26th August 2010, 07:28 PM
That is indeed true for friends that are untried, I'm not talking about arming acquaintances but rather the close friends who I have been through enough situations with to know how they handle themselves under pressure and whether or not they would roll on you if things went south.

You mean "brothers." ;)