PDA

View Full Version : You'll Buy Gold Now and Like It!

mamboni
26th August 2010, 05:18 PM
You'll Buy Gold Now and Like It!

By Jeff Clark, Casey's Gold & Resource Report
http://www.caseyresearch.com/editorial/3614?ppref=GLD192ED0810D

I get this question a lot: "Should I buy gold now, or wait for a pullback?"

It’s a valid question. For nearly two years, gold hasn't had a serious decline. There have been pullbacks, of course, but nothing assumption-challenging. In fact, since October 2008, gold’s largest price drop is 10.6% (based on London PM fix prices), and yet the average of all declines since 2001 is 13% (of those greater than 5%). The biggest pullback we've seen this summer is 8.2%. Technically the summer's not over, but I'll admit I'm surprised we haven't had a better buying opportunity.

So, is now the time to buy? It depends on your honest answer to another question: “Do you own enough gold?” By “enough” I mean an amount that lends meaningful protection on your assets. By ”meaningful” I mean that no matter what happens next – another financial blow-up, accelerating inflation, crushing deflation, war, a plummeting dollar, more reckless government spending – you won't worry about your investments.

Whether you should buy now is almost irrelevant if you don't already own a meaningful amount of gold. If you earn $50,000 a year, how is one gold Eagle coin going to protect you if the dollar plummets and sends inflation soaring? If your investable assets total $100,000, is your nest egg sufficiently protected owning two gold Maple Leafs? This is all akin to buying a $50,000 insurance policy for a $500,000 home.

Today we face the prospect of prolonged economic stagnation, and most governments are administering grossly abusive monetary policy as a remedy. While some of the consequences are already being felt, the full ramifications have not hit your wallet yet. But they will.

If you don't have at least 10% of your investable assets in physical gold, or at least two months of living expenses, you have your answer: Buy. Don't use leverage, don't borrow money, and don't buy with reckless abandon, but yes, get your asset insurance policy and tuck it away. And then start working toward 20% (we recommend a third of assets be in various forms of gold in Casey's Gold & Resource Report).

Back to the original question: should we buy now, or wait for a pullback?

The answer comes when you look at the big picture. If you pull up a 9-year chart of gold, what sticks out is that the price is near its all-time nominal high. One could be forgiven for thinking it looks toppy or at least ripe for a pullback. But I assert that the highs for gold have yet to be charted.

What will a gold chart look like after adding five years to it?

When projecting gold's potential price peak, there are many ways to measure it. Conservatively, gold reaching its inflation-adjusted 1980 high would have it topping around $2,400 an ounce. More radically, if the U.S. tried to cover its cumulative foreign trade deficit with its current gold holdings, gold would need to hit about $32,000/oz.

Let's take something more middle of the road, and apply the same trough-to-peak percentage advance gold underwent in the 1970s. (I think there's a greater than 50/50 chance it does more than that, given the precarious nature of the U.S. dollar.) Gold rose from $35 in 1970 to $850 in 1980, a factor of 24.28. Our price bottomed in 2001 at $255.95; multiply that by 24.28 and you get a gold price of $6,214 per ounce.

Sound too high? Well, would it feel high if you had to pay $12.50 for a Big Mac? At $3.39 today at my local McDonald's, that's about what it would cost ten years from now if we get the same rate of inflation we had in the late 1970s.

So if gold hits $6,214, what might it look like on a chart if you bought today around $1,200?

http://v3.caseyresearch.com/images/Buyingat1200GoldTheBigPicture(1).gif

$1,200 doesn't seem so pricey, does it?

I'm not saying there won't be pullbacks or that you shouldn't try to buy at lower prices. Just keep a big-picture perspective. Let's say gold falls to $1,100 and you're kicking yourself for having bought at $1,200… if gold reaches $6,200 an ounce, the profit difference between buying at $1,200 and buying at $1,100 is only 1.6%. If gold gets whacked to $1,000 (at which point I’ll be buying with both hands) the difference is still only 3.2%.

Heck, even if gold peaks at $2,400, you still get a double from current levels. (But unless government monetary policies immediately reverse course, gold isn't stopping at $2,400.)

So there's my answer. Yes, you have to accept my projection of gold's ultimate price plateau. And you have to sell at some point to realize the profit. But if the final chapter of this bull market looks anything like the chart above, I don't think you'll be too upset having bought at $1,200.

Carpe gold.

Saul Mine
27th August 2010, 11:40 PM
It is not good to urge people to buy precious metals if they don't have the right ATTITUDE (http://gold-silver.us/forum/gold/is-gold-crash-proof-this-time-around/msg94912/?topicseen#msg94912). They will panic and sell the first time the price drops and blame you for their losses.

Uncle Salty
28th August 2010, 01:05 AM
It is not good to urge people to buy precious metals if they don't have the right ATTITUDE (http://gold-silver.us/forum/gold/is-gold-crash-proof-this-time-around/msg94912/?topicseen#msg94912). They will panic and sell the first time the price drops and blame you for their losses.

Yeah, at this point I don't like to recommend pm's. If their is a short term down turn, I don't wan the heat from idiots who can't see the big picture.

I was howling when silver was in single digits and gold below $750. But since then, nothing. Just taking care of business. A

A word to the wise is sufficient!!

Neuro
28th August 2010, 02:35 AM

Yeah, at this point I don't like to recommend pm's. If their is a short term down turn, I don't wan the heat from idiots who can't see the big picture.

I was howling when silver was in single digits and gold below $750. But since then, nothing. Just taking care of business.

Actually there is no difference between an ounce of gold when it was 750 a few years back and an ounce of gold today at 1240. The difference is in the fiat Dollar, and I predict that fiat currencies will continue to deteriorate.

97guns
28th August 2010, 08:17 AM
i am late to the game and am forced to buy NOW and like it. i just wired 26K to apmex yesterday ;D

Joe King
28th August 2010, 09:06 AM

I was howling when silver was in single digits and gold below $750. But since then, nothing. Just taking care of business. A

The excuse was the same then as now.
"It's just too expensive and doesn't entertain me or allow me to eat right now".

mamboni
28th August 2010, 09:07 AM
i am late to the game and am forced to buy NOW and like it. i just wired 26K to apmex yesterday ;D

20 oz of gold is probably more than 99% of the US population owns at the present. Gold holdings as a percentage of total capital investments is at all-time lows of about 2%, which is one tenth the historic average. When the masses move to gold, and they will when they finally see fiat money's blood in the water, the price of gold will explode to well over $2000. When Jim Sinclair predicted at target price of $1650, it seemed rather pie-in-the-sky and improbable. And yet here we are just a few years hence, and gold is at $1240 and climbing and but a stone's throw away from $1650. In time, the latter price will prove to have been too conservative.

gunDriller
28th August 2010, 10:36 AM
The difference is in the fiat Dollar, and I predict that fiat currencies will continue to deteriorate.

i don't think anyone here would disagree.

i remember when gum used to be 10 cents. now it's $1 - on sale. specifically, i like these things -
http://www.americarx.com/admin/ARXPRODUCTIMAGES/IImages/IceBreakers/950030.jpg

just thinking - they'll probably be $5 someday.

meanwhile, the silver-gum ratio is fairly steady.

when dimes were silver, gum was 10 cents.

now, Ice Cubes are usually about $1.40 - 14 x face, = 1 silver dime.

Neuro
28th August 2010, 11:03 AM
That is something you are not likely to regret, if you have some holding power in your hands. Don't forget about silver though. Palladium could also be a very nice play, though it is not a very good SHTF metal, IMO.

Stop Making Cents
28th August 2010, 11:20 AM
The difference is in the fiat Dollar, and I predict that fiat currencies will continue to deteriorate.

i don't think anyone here would disagree.

i remember when gum used to be 10 cents. now it's $1 - on sale. specifically, i like these things -
http://www.americarx.com/admin/ARXPRODUCTIMAGES/IImages/IceBreakers/950030.jpg

just thinking - they'll probably be $5 someday.

meanwhile, the silver-gum ratio is fairly steady.

when dimes were silver, gum was 10 cents.

now, Ice Cubes are usually about $1.40 - 14 x face, = 1 silver dime.

Are those made by Dentyne? If so, i strongly encourage you to try a different brand for the reasons stated here:

http://www.chimpout.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122628

97guns
28th August 2010, 06:31 PM
That is something you are not likely to regret, if you have some holding power in your hands. Don't forget about silver though. Palladium could also be a very nice play, though it is not a very good SHTF metal, IMO.

i was thinking of picking up some palladium. i started stacking since june and the plan was to go 100% silver, when i hit 1500 ounces i took a hard look at the bank account and decided that i needed to liquidate more FRN's and ASAP thus the order placed yesterday. my intention is to preserve what i have, i turned 40 this past june and have been retired for a year now. my main and only concern is preservation so i never have to work again.

gunDriller
30th August 2010, 07:15 AM

wow. pics ?

got a boat ? ;D

SLV^GLD
30th August 2010, 08:57 AM
97guns fits a very similar posting style as someone we used to know with a Tyler Durden avatar. ;)

Libertarian_Guard
30th August 2010, 05:00 PM

20 oz of gold is probably more than 99% of the US population owns at the present.

No, not probably, definitely!

1970 silver art
30th August 2010, 05:33 PM
97guns fits a very similar posting style as someone we used to know with a Tyler Durden avatar. ;)

.........and a taste for porter house steaks. ;)

gunDriller
31st August 2010, 02:41 AM

.........and a taste for porter house steaks. ;)

but, in a pinch, can make do with rib eye ?

FunnyMoney
1st September 2010, 07:58 PM
Someone at the prior forum used to say, "...you can buy under 1,000 or you can buy over 1,000, but one way or the other, you will buy."

Where fiat currency is headed, we best get ready to add some zeros to that.