PDA

View Full Version : Thanking God

Liquid
28th August 2010, 04:10 PM
I hope this question doesn't seem ignorant to the folks on here, but it's a question that has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past week or so. Maybe I can find some guidance on this board. How do you personally thank God? Is it even possible? It seems to me there's no real way to do that.

k-os
28th August 2010, 04:54 PM
I hope this question doesn't seem ignorance to the folks on here, but it's a question that has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past week or so. Maybe I can find some guidance on this board. How do you personally thank God? Is it even possible? It seems to me there's no real way to do that.

Beyond the obvious of loving, giving, teaching, helping, forgiving . . .

I think that the best possible way to thank God is to be yourself. Your uniqueness was no accident.

the riot act
28th August 2010, 05:04 PM
k extremely well said.

I could maybe add something, but it would be just repeating what you outlined in so few words. Of course that is what you do so well.

PS: Good to hear from you!

riot

Liquid
28th August 2010, 05:16 PM
k extremely well said.

I agree, but there's got to be more to it though, right? I mean, we're all unique. To be ourselves is important, but is that really thanking God?

Some of us are alive because we've been spared, for some reason, our lives were not taken that day. That just doesn't make sense, in any way, and the only thing I can think of is that perhaps God may have been looking out for us.

It would be nice to do something to return the favour.

the riot act
28th August 2010, 05:55 PM
Liquid, you haven't profess (at least in your OP) if you follow any particular religion. (note I don't follow a religion, my faith is in the fact that Jesus the Christ died for me, and every other sinner in this world.) Now, you may not agree with me on that, which is OK. Are you seeking? If so then you are being called. Whether or not you answer the call is your personal choice.

Remember the word "faith" in the English language is a noun.(thing) In the original language it is a verb.(action) So simply put(for me anyway) faith is a action, based on a belief in the confidence that God's word is true.

We are his creations, in his image and likeness. Just living your life "as a good person" is a admirable quality. But without acceptance that he sent his son to suffer for our sins, we could do all the good works and it would not please him. Christianity is really a simple creed, not hard to understand really. Believe in your heart that Jesus died for your sins, and try to follow his teachings knowing that you can never 'be him' in this world. Follow your heart not your brain. Forgive your enemies. Speak no evil of others.(really the hardest thing to do.) Listen to the Holy Spirit, and given the time you will change. It is kinda like holding a piece of uranium, it will not burn your hand, but it will sure change you.

All in all it is very easy to please God.

Liquid
28th August 2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks a lot, riot, your post has really helped me.

Liquid, you haven't profess (at least in your OP) if you follow any particular religion. (note I don't follow a religion, my faith is in the fact that Jesus the Christ died for me, and every other sinner in this world.) Now, you may not agree with me on that, which is OK. Are you seeking? If so then you are being called. Whether or not you answer the call is your personal choice.

I was born and raised a Catholic, but have drifted away from religion over the years. Like you, I don't consider myself to follow one religion, but I do believe in God and that Jesus died for our sins.

I don't know if I am being called upon or not. I doubt my existance is enough for that, but I recently had a dream where I re-lived a past experience, yet it turned out badly...and I now have this feeling of debt that needs to be resolved, if that makes any sense at all. I am grateful to have a second chance, and just question if I'm doing what God wants, or not.

Saul Mine
28th August 2010, 06:41 PM
You say "Thanks, God!"

You don't have to say it out loud, if you're worried about friends thinking you're a religious nut. You can say it in your heart and God will hear you. God is pretty good about hearts.

And why should you do any such thing? One reason: because your life can't ever be good if you refuse to admit that it's good.

Liquid
28th August 2010, 08:41 PM
And why should you do any such thing? One reason: because your life can't ever be good if you refuse to admit that it's good.

My life is a simple one Saul. I am grateful for it, but still don't think I've earned it yet. I'll admit it's a good one though.

It would be nice if a simple 'thank you' would suffice.

Liquid
28th August 2010, 09:12 PM
You know, I wonder if there's much of a difference, between thanking God and asking his forgiveness, for our sins.

Saul Mine
28th August 2010, 09:58 PM
You know, I wonder if there's much of a difference, between thanking God and asking his forgiveness, for our sins.

If you accept Jesus as your savior the sins are gone and you don't ever have to be concerned about them again. If you don't accept Jesus it doesn't matter much what else you do. I suggest you get a bible and read the church epistles, Romans through 2 Thessalonians, over and over until you start to remember parts of it.

Liquid
28th August 2010, 10:27 PM
If you accept Jesus as your savior the sins are gone and you don't ever have to be concerned about them again. If you don't accept Jesus it doesn't matter much what else you do. I suggest you get a bible and read the church epistles, Romans through 2 Thessalonians, over and over until you start to remember parts of it.

Saul, I should get a bible, however, I accept Jesus but do not see how my sins just go 'poof' and are gone.

Look, I should be dead. I should be, but it was by some freak in circumstance, I am not. I owe God a thanks for that, I want to pay that debt that I owe him.

Saul Mine
28th August 2010, 10:35 PM

Saul, I should get a bible, however, I accept Jesus but do not see how my sins just go 'poof' and are gone.

Look, I should be dead. I should be, but it was by some freak in circumstance, I am not. I owe God a thanks for that, I want to pay that debt that I owe him.

That's why I encourage you to read the epistles a few dozen times. Right now you don't know the first thing about being a Christian. The first thing is Romans 10:9 & 10 - you are not saved by confessing sins, you are saved by confessing the savior from sin. And when you are saved you are dead to sin. You need to find those parts in your own bible and understand them.

Liquid
28th August 2010, 10:56 PM
That's why I encourage you to read the epistles a few dozen times. Right now you don't know the first thing about being a Christian. The first thing is Romans 10:9 & 10 - you are not saved by confessing sins, you are saved by confessing the savior from sin. And when you are saved you are dead to sin. You need to find those parts in your own bible and understand them.

I will do that Saul, thanks. It's been too long since I've read the good book anyway.

Sparky
28th August 2010, 11:14 PM

It would be nice if a simple 'thank you' would suffice.

"... my yoke is easy and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:30

Fortyone
29th August 2010, 04:11 AM
I hope this question doesn't seem ignorant to the folks on here, but it's a question that has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past week or so. Maybe I can find some guidance on this board. How do you personally thank God? Is it even possible? It seems to me there's no real way to do that.

I speak directly to God to thank him on a personal level.

StackerKen
29th August 2010, 10:12 AM
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Without Jesus
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Liquid; I think it is Great that you want to thank God. We should all thank God for everything. Always. :)

If we have The forgiveness that Jesus offers, We can talk to God and he hears us.

Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us

The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to him in song.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

philo beddoe
29th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Without Jesus
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Liquid; I think it is Great that you want to thank God. We should all thank God for everything. Always. :)

If we have The forgiveness that Jesus offers, We can talk to God and he hears us.

Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us

The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to him in song.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Do you have the exact scriptures so we know who wrote what? Jesus did not preach guilt, Paul did.

StackerKen
29th August 2010, 10:53 AM
Do you have the exact scriptures so we know who wrote what? Jesus did not preach guilt, Paul did.

That's not how I see it Philo...But
I don't wanna Muck up this thread about giving Thanks to God with a discussion about Paul's teachings

It is easy to find the scriptures that I posted (copy and paste into Google)

But I will list them and site them from now on.

the first one was

Philippians 4:1-9

the next was

Isaiah 64:6

the 3rd one was

1 John 5:10

the last one is

Psalm 28:7

Liquid
29th August 2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks Ken, beautiful and moving message.

In all honesty, I think this is one of the reasons I've strayed from religion over the years. Asking for forgiveness, embracing in our hearts that Jesus died for our sins, and God hears us, folks tend to use this as a way of not taking responsibility for their actions.

The same guy that shakes your hand in Church, and says "peace be with you", is the same guy that cuts you off in the parking lot after mass.

Take a guy who worse, commits adultery, then says the devil made me do I've repented and now have been saved. It still doesn't change the fact that he cheated on his wife. All the corruption and evil in our society today, how can that justify forgiveness?

We are all sinners, but it makes me wonder sometimes if that's what God really wants of us to make forgiveness of our sins so convenient. I can thank him the rest of my life, I do for the little things I enjoy, but just don't know if he's listening.

StackerKen
29th August 2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ken, beautiful and moving message.

In all honesty, I think this is one of the reasons I've strayed from religion over the years. Asking for forgiveness, embracing in our hearts that Jesus died for our sins, and God hears us, folks tend to use this as a way of not taking responsibility for their actions.

The same guy that shakes your hand in Church, and says "peace be with you", is the same guy that cuts you off in the parking lot after mass.

Take a guy who worse, commits adultery, then says the devil made me do I've repented and now have been saved. It still doesn't change the fact that he cheated on his wife. All the corruption and evil in our society today, how can that justify forgiveness?

We are all sinners, but it makes me wonder sometimes if that's what God really wants of us to make forgiveness of our sins so convenient. I can thank him the rest of my life, I do for the little things I enjoy, but just don't know if he's listening.

I think he hears you Liquid :) As a matter of fact I think he may be calling you...Listen for him :)

I can't say i fully understand Gods forgiveness. And How he can forgive such terrible sins.

But I am reminded of this parable that Jesus told

Matt 20:1-16 "For the Kingdom of Heaven is like a man who was the master of a household, who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. He went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace. To them he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ So they went their way. Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did likewise. About the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle. He said to them, ‘Why do you stand here all day idle?’ "They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ "He said to them, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and you will receive whatever is right.’ When evening had come, the lord of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning from the last to the first.’ "When those who were hired at about the eleventh hour came, they each received a denarius. When the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise each received a denarius. When they received it, they murmured against the master of the household, saying, ‘These last have spent one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat!’ "But he answered one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Didn’t you agree with me for a denarius? Take that which is yours, and go your way. It is my desire to give to this last just as much as to you. Isn’t it lawful for me to do what I want to with what I own? Or is your eye evil, because I am good?’ So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few are chosen."
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Jesus wants us to know that some people will believe and follow Jesus early in life; while others will believe later in life. But the reward will be the same: to spend eternity with Jesus. It is not the length of time that we've believed in Jesus or the amount of work that we've done for him that makes us right with God. The fact of the matter is, none of us deserve God's favor. In this parable the workers received a wage for their work. We too have a wage that is coming to us. The Bible says our wage is death, "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life" (Romans 6:23). We die because we sin. It is God's gift of grace, his undeserved favor, that allows us to live with him eternally. Jesus died on the cross in our place. He took our punishment for sinning. He did this because he loves us and wants us to follow and obey him.

Romans 9:14-15 says, "What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.' "

No one knows how many years God gives us to live. So, if you feel Jesus tugging on your heart and calling you to trust in him, then don't put off following him today. The Bible warns us by saying, "...now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." 2 Corinthians 6:2.