PDA

View Full Version : What is deja vu?

dysgenic
31st August 2010, 10:11 PM
I used to get the feeling a lot when I was younger, very strong and very eerie. To this day I think it's one of the most disconcerting and scary feelings that one can get. Remember in The Matrix when they said that deja vu was when they were 'changing the matrix?'
Thoughts?

dys

Olmstein
31st August 2010, 10:22 PM
I had a serious feeling of deja vu earlier this afternoon. Weird you would bring this up today.

Sparky
1st September 2010, 12:21 AM
The best theory I've heard is that your brain has taken a current experience and put it directly into long term memory rather than short term memory, so that the experience being "recalled" from some time in the past actually occurred only a fraction of a second earlier.

Heimdhal
1st September 2010, 12:23 AM
what if you de ja vu that you've had a de je vu? Would it create some paradoxial loop that would continue on until your grey matter just imploded from the sheer force of the confusion?

Have I asked this before?

Sparky
1st September 2010, 12:39 AM
what if you de ja vu that you've had a de je vu? Would it create some paradoxial loop that would continue on until your grey matter just imploded from the sheer force of the confusion?

I've actually had that sensation, i.e. experiencing a moment for which I thought I've already had a deja vu.

I don't recall my head imploding.

Heimdhal
1st September 2010, 12:44 AM

I've actually had that sensation, i.e. experiencing a moment for which I thought I've already had a deja vu.

I don't recall my head imploding.

But can you REALLY be sure? Can you? Maybe youre still stuck in the loop and this is all a dream. A de ja vu induced false reality....... ;D

Glass
1st September 2010, 01:51 AM
I had it a lot as a kid but very rarely now. I had it at a rail crossing in a car. I told the driver to stop right there. A train went through without the barriers going down.

jaybone
1st September 2010, 05:35 AM
I had a serious feeling of deja vu earlier this afternoon. Weird you would bring this up today.

Yes, too weird.
I was commenting about constant synchronicity happening lately,
I mean it is constant. I think of something and it appears, or something goes wrong and a new opportunity jumps from the pile of crap.
It made me think about Deja Vu being a 'glitch in the matrix'
this is yesterday on the way home from work, I had not thought about Deja Vu in years because it never really happens to me anymore.
now this thread appears,
it is rather eerie.

There was a video here about a grand cross planetary lineup that was going to make things uncomfortable for awhile, but that discomfort could be used for personal growth.
search for 'astrology' and the thread comes right up.
A think there is something unusual going on, and it is not just 'tin foil Jay' noticing it. I have rabid athiest friends who have commented on synchronicity lately, devout Christians asking me for orgonite, etc.

Usually with the same theme; a challenge followed by an opportunity to overcome that challenge by following a trail of crumbs left by the universe.

Ponce
1st September 2010, 08:22 AM
Many times I had one of them where I knew that something bad was going to happen so I would do something a little bit different to break the chain of events.

sunshine05
1st September 2010, 09:20 AM
I've had deja vu before but can't remember specifics now and it's been a long time. However, I have had weird feelings/premonitions that make me wonder.

I used to formulate traffic paint (stripes on the road) and once we were doing a trial on the side of a highway and I felt really uneasy but couldn't understand why. I felt like something bad was about to happen. Then minutes later a dump truck lost control and went through the cones and off the road maybe a couple of feet in front of where I was standing. So it was almost like a warning, those feelings I had. I'll never forget it.

Another time, it was at night and I couldn't sleep and had this overwhelming fear that I lost my mother and how devastating that would be. The next morning my mom called to tell me my grandmother died that night. I'll never forget it.

Hermie
1st September 2010, 10:47 AM
Have you ever had the feeling of Vuja de?

It's that weird feeling that none of this has ever happened before...

*George Carlin

Andy9999
1st September 2010, 10:53 AM
Same sh$IT DIFFERENT DAY ;D

Libertytree
1st September 2010, 11:05 AM
There are 3 types of Vu.

1. Deja vecu (already experienced or lived through)

2. Deja senti ('already felt')

3. Deja visite ('already visited')

For their differences.....

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee/dejavu.htm

Gaillo
1st September 2010, 11:11 AM
Hasn't this thread been posted already? ;D

Vuja De (n.): The overwhelming sense that you've never experienced this particular event before...

k-os
1st September 2010, 11:24 AM
Perhaps time doesn't exist and everything happens all at once. Let's say then our minds try to arrange everything in a way that makes sense, but the deja vu moments slipped through the cracks.

You never know.

mightymanx
1st September 2010, 11:27 AM
It's a glitch in the Matrix it happens when they change something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObjwzQXwrQ

sirgonzo420
1st September 2010, 11:59 AM
Perhaps time doesn't exist and everything happens all at once. Let's say then our minds try to arrange everything in a way that makes sense, but the deja vu moments slipped through the cracks.

You never know.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

If anyone needs confirmation, take about 10 hits of good LSD and you'll know.

;D

illumin19
1st September 2010, 05:57 PM

You never know.

;D

Sorry.....I'm all natur-al.......was just herbs for me ;)

sirgonzo420
2nd September 2010, 05:56 AM

You never know.

;D

Sorry.....I'm all natur-al.......was just herbs for me ;)

Hahaha, well it's not a herb, but mushrooms work too!

:D

dysgenic
3rd September 2010, 09:51 PM
Whatever it is, I don't think deja vu is anything good, or anything benign. When the body says that something is wrong, something is wrong.

dys

StackerKen
3rd September 2010, 11:00 PM
Good sig line Dys :)

I don't remember ever being somehow warned of impending danger in my life. :conf:

peepnklown
3rd September 2010, 11:11 PM
It’s a ‘glitch’ of memory. Your mind is plays tricks on you (simply, our minds suck!) ;D

TheNocturnalEgyptian
4th September 2010, 01:09 PM
There's also "Jamais Vu" which is feeling like you're seeing something for the first time, when in reality you're already familar with it.

platinumdude
4th September 2010, 07:57 PM
I think most deja vu is from doing something repetitive but infrequent.