PDA

View Full Version : Half Joking...

YukonCornelius
2nd September 2010, 01:48 PM
Who will start and operate/maintain the forum I'm going to finance through vbulletin? Too many good people going and I don't know how to run a site like that myself...

Quit leaving people...or run my forums, dedicated to high quality, good convos and member service.

wildcard
2nd September 2010, 01:54 PM
What's the retirement package look like? :)

YukonCornelius
2nd September 2010, 01:56 PM
hahahaha. Well you'll be looking at 1 Mercury dime/year. Retirement age of 81 years old.

Fortyone
2nd September 2010, 03:57 PM
Its an admirable idea, but dont do it.This forum has finally gotten its own personality, and another Schism wouldnt be good. Look at GIM2, its a POS forum, with very little action, ours if full of life and discussion. Id wager that within two years GIM2 will be gone or have a very reduced membership.these guys need time to work the bugs out, maybe they need capital? If so, they should ask. A premium membership would really help keep the tech end up.

wildcard
2nd September 2010, 04:01 PM
We need to do something. Dedicated server or new software. We're hemorrhaging members.

Ponce
2nd September 2010, 04:10 PM
Danmet..........don't mess around with my second home grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............God Jr has spoken.

Book
2nd September 2010, 04:16 PM
We need to do something. Dedicated server or new software. We're hemorrhaging members.

http://freelancefolder.com/wp-content/uploads/tin-can-phone1.jpg

Huh? What did you say? There is a reason why this forum software is named SIMPLE MACHINES LLC.

:oo-->

wildcard
2nd September 2010, 04:25 PM
Has J6P said anything yet? I saw several people talking about donations. Money orders to a P.O. box should protect everyone involved. Let's light this candle. :)

Fortyone
2nd September 2010, 04:44 PM
I would leave it open to public view,and access. I dont want to see it fail due to tech issues.

Joe King
2nd September 2010, 05:35 PM
Seems better today. Hadn't noticed any delay this afternoon.

JohnQPublic
2nd September 2010, 05:55 PM
Now that I upgraded to the best shared service, they might have migrated me to a different server (which they said was a possibility, but not guaranteed). In that case this oucld explain an improvement in service.

wildcard
2nd September 2010, 05:59 PM
Is there any diagnostic tool that will allow you to see some real improvement or is it just a user feedback sort of thing?

JohnQPublic
3rd September 2010, 07:38 AM
Is there any diagnostic tool that will allow you to see some real improvement or is it just a user feedback sort of thing?

At this point it is feedback. It is not my server, but a shared server.

Dogman
3rd September 2010, 07:45 AM

Where is it located? Langley or Quantico? :ROFL:

DMac
3rd September 2010, 07:45 AM
JQP,

Are you able to get some answers to a few questions from these folks?

Ex:

1. What system specifications is the site running on? (Memory, NIC speed, processor type/speed for web/db)
2. How many anonymous users per day for the server? How many for your site?
3. Bandwidth reports (total incoming/total outgoing)
4. Server total disk utilization, DB disk I/O performance reports

Some of these will help analyze previous issues as well as plan for future growth. Please keep in mind capacity planning for the future. We all would like to avoid fixing the issue now only to have a bigger problem on our hands in 6-12 months.

ShortJohnSilver
3rd September 2010, 07:48 AM

Assuming you are using MySQL, it has a number of built-in tools to help you find slow queries, determine what needs to be tuned, etc. If your control panel lets you use a tool called PHPMyAdmin then some of this can be accessed via the web.