PDA

View Full Version : West Indian Day Celebration Draws Millions To Crown Heights

goldmonkey
7th September 2010, 10:25 AM
West Indian Day Celebration Draws Millions To Crown Heights (http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/124997/west-indian-day-celebration-draws-millions-to-crown-heights)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nqy2zc.png

The annual West Indian American Day Carnival brought millions to Brooklyn Monday to celebrate the sights and sounds of the Caribbean. NY1’s Tara Lynn Wagner filed the following report.

It was impossible not to dance in the streets Monday as the 43rd annual West Indian American Day Carnival and Parade rolled into town, bringing with it bright colors and an infectious beat.

"Beautiful costumes and different music, different cultures coming together,” said one parade-goer.

Believed to be the city's biggest parade, the annual event brings together about three-million people, giving them a chance to display their national pride and reminisce about a faraway home.

“The people treat you very nice when you go,” said a Jamaican-New Yorker. “There’s a whole lot of entertainment and you just feel like a queen when you go there.”

For others, it’s an opportunity to share their culture and heritage with a new generation.

"This is a special day for me and it’s important for me to bring her out here and let her see the culture and just experience this,” said another reveler.

Some come for the food, some for the costumes, and others for the dancing, but while they come for different reasons, from different places, participants are just happy to come together.

"Just having one peace and one heart,” said a performer. “It’s just uniting as one. That's what it is."

"It feels good,” said a parade-goer. “Because when I get around my people, I feel like I'm where I should be.”

Spectrism
7th September 2010, 02:49 PM
"I bring my children so they can see the culture."

Deee-ammmm.... that is "culture"???? These people can't live outside the stone age.

Gaillo
7th September 2010, 02:53 PM
Proud of their culture and nation?
Dey be WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYCIST!!!!!!! :oo-->

7th trump
7th September 2010, 02:58 PM
"I bring my children so they can see the culture."

Deee-ammmm.... that is "culture"???? These people can't live outside the stone age.
:o

I've ponder many times wondering if their culture is how God created them or from their ancient paganistical ways they seem not to want to leave to far behind. They are actually proud of such demonstration.
Whats ever it is its deeply rooted within them.

Myself on the other hand would run as fast as I could from it if that were my ancestry. However I'm of Germanic/Dutch background with a sliver of French of being 100% American.

7th trump
7th September 2010, 02:59 PM
Proud of their culture and nation?
Dey be WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYCIST!!!!!!! :oo-->

Aint dat da trufff

Ponce
7th September 2010, 04:20 PM
What a shame that you think that way.......

7th trump
7th September 2010, 05:53 PM

who you refering to?

Gaillo
7th September 2010, 05:54 PM

It was pure sarcasm, Ponce.

I just find it completely disgusting that whenever the media covers an event like this, it's "a joyous celebration of cultural heritage and ethnicity" - UNLESS it's white Americans, in which case it becomes "a mob of ignorant racist redneck oppressors spewing hatred and bigotry"... or something to that effect.

Fortyone
7th September 2010, 05:59 PM
Which culture are they referring to? Spanish, French, Dutch, British colonial or African slave? The West Indies arent a country,there are may different languages spoken.

Libertarian_Guard
7th September 2010, 06:01 PM

I just find it completely disgusting that whenever the media covers an event like this, it's "a joyous celebration of cultural heritage and ethnicity" - UNLESS it's white Americans, in which case it becomes "a mob of ignorant racist redneck oppressors spewing hatred and bigotry"... or something to that effect.

The media that you might be referring to never mentions NASCAR or The Bass Pro circut in such a manor.

Gaillo
7th September 2010, 06:02 PM

The media that you might be referring to never mentions NASCAR or The Bass Pro circut in such a manor.

Oh really? ::)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/397875/nascar_fans_racist.html

Libertarian_Guard
7th September 2010, 06:05 PM

Oh really? ::)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/397875/nascar_fans_racist.html

Well sure, some of us don't like japs. And I mean both kinds.

How the hell did you come up with that so fast?

Ponce
7th September 2010, 06:29 PM
Gaillo.....sorry to say that now the white man is a prisoner to their own culture because they no longer have pride in it........I have noticed and felt it that now days the white Americans "force" themselves to have fun (even when they are not having any) just to show how cool they are..........when you have a party in a Latin American country, or the Caribbean, it come from the heart and is an occasion to party and forget about the everyday life.

While in Cuba a guy came over and asked my brother to bring out his guitar, there was a guitar, drums, quinbales, and a horn having a good time in the front porch........and next thing that you knew THERE WAS A BLOCK PARTY where people came from all over the place and good rum appeared like magic........I went to bed at 2 AM and the party was still going strong.

I have been now out of Cuba for 58 years but my heart is still in Cuba......I wonder if they could take my heart out (AFTER I DIE) and burried it in Cuba........something to think about.

Libertarian_Guard
8th September 2010, 07:55 AM
Beer and banjos

But in making changes to placate supporters, racing consultant H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler, former president of Lowe's Motor Speedway for 33 years, says NASCAR should remain mindful that its fan base is "pretty much blue collar" and didn't respond well when tracks moved away from country music performers in prerace ceremonies in the past decade.When an American Idol contestant didn't remove his hat during a national anthem at Lowe's, Wheeler says some fans vowed never to return.

"Sure, there are upper-middle-income fans, but mostly they came from modest backgrounds," Wheeler says. "They are very conservative, flag waving and, yes, they drink beer.

"You have to be so careful with what you do. Getting away from banjos in an effort to change the so-called image, they turned a lot of people away. They got away from the roots, and the roots don't change very fast."

Joe Baldwin, a native of Wilmington, N.C., and fan since 1978, says NASCAR "spent too much time and energy going after the big bucks from sponsors, moving into big media markets and forsaking the small venues that are NASCAR.

"They've kind of ruined the sport," Baldwin says. "I understand the economics of getting people into the bigger markets, but it took it away from roots and turned it into too big a money sport."

Baldwin, 48, says TV coverage has lacked sophistication because of a mass-market approach aimed at snagging more casual fans with elements such as "Digger," an animated gopher who starred in cartoons during Fox broadcasts this year.

"It's one of the most asinine things they've put on TV," he says. "They treat fans like they're stupid."

Stock car science

The influx of engineers into NASCAR also seems to have attracted a new wave of academics such as Diandra L. Leslie-Pelecky, a professor of physics at the University of Texas at Dallas. She became hooked while wondering what caused a crash during a race.

"A car wiggled around in the corner, and I'm a physicist who knows cars don't spontaneously go in the wall," says Leslie-Pelecky, who uses the sport as subject matter to keep her students interested. "There's so much neat science in NASCAR."

After building friendships with many Sprint Cup engineers who had doctorates as she did, Leslie-Pelecky, 44, wrote a book ("The Physics of NASCAR") and started a blog (stockcarscience.com) whose posts (on topics ranging from kinematics to centripetal acceleration to cheating) have received thousands of hits.

"It's a great way to educate people," she says. "NASCAR fans are fervent and will wade through net force and molecules if it helps them understand why something happens to their driver."

Patrick Hickey began watching NASCAR a decade ago because "it's like a soap opera of not being able to wait for the next episode." Hickey, 54, is a native of Ontario, Canada, and a fan of four-time champion Jeff Gordon, whose late 1990s rivalry with seven-time champion Dale Earnhardt entertained longtime and new fans by pitting an upstart from the West Coast against a working-class hero from North Carolina.

"Jeff's a California boy who breaks the mold," says Hickey, who has a masters in nursing, a doctorate in community health and is a professor at the University of South Carolina. "I encourage my students to do that and ask questions to challenge the system.

"This is a poor man's and wealthy man's sport, and you see the cross-section of America when you go to these races," says Hickey, who has attended a couple dozen races and unfurled a Cup flag on the peak of Mount Everest after ascending the summit two years ago.

Different world

Mike Wright, a long-haul trucker from near Petersburg, Va., has attended more than 250 races and watched affluence creep into track campgrounds.

"This felt like our own fraternity in the 1970s, and then in the '90s, all of a sudden there were gigantic motor homes," Wright, 40, says. "This used to be a regional sport, and it ain't no secret people in the South don't like change. There's no more Ted's Auto Service on cars; you've got mainstream companies sponsoring the cars, and that has changed everything a lot."

Wright says he likes the increased diversity (he camps beside those from Maine, Massachusetts and Texas at Bristol, Tenn.) but not rising prices. The weak economy has forced him to cut back on attending races and buying driver merchandise.

"Sometimes, I miss the old days when it was smaller and easier to go, but I don't fault NASCAR for that," he says. "They just need to let things go a while. They've made a lot of changes, and a lot of older fans balked at some of the stuff. I liked it pretty good the way it was."

Wright says he was pleased when he saw a dozen drivers signing autographs before a race at Martinsville in March.

"That's a big deal to meet your hero and the way it was in the '70s and '80s," he says. "You can't put a pricetag on that."

Some NASCAR stars are being generous with more than just their time. Joe Gibbs Racing driver Denny Hamlin is giving away blocks of seats at every race. His fan club has received more than 10,000 applications.

"It's reaching the blue-collar fan that used to have season tickets and now can't afford them," Hamlin says. "I want to help the race fans out that have gone to races for the last 20 years and now don't have the means."

Matt Kenseth, the 2003 series champion, occasionally answers the phone at his fan club office but says he's doing no more than in the past because "there's very few times I haven't done anything asked within reason.

"It should always be about the fans," he said. "Without them, we can't race."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nascar/2009-07-01-nascar-identity-crisis_N.htm

willie pete
8th September 2010, 08:03 AM
"I wonder if they could take my heart out (AFTER I DIE) and burried it in Cuba........something to think about."

Ponce, I think they buried Livington's heart in Africa

Libertarian_Guard
8th September 2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_negQhnA5lI&feature=channel_page

Book
8th September 2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.saintpatricksdayparade.com/charlotte/001_01%20background.jpg

Why can't those Negros and Jews support our real American culture and heritage???

:D

Ponce
8th September 2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Book.........I love your avatar.

DMac
8th September 2010, 11:47 AM
I have no issue with any immigrant celebrating where they came from in a day of remembrance (it's a chance to try new foods!). The bold line, "It feels good,” said a parade-goer. “Because when I get around my people, I feel like I'm where I should be.” is a pretty interesting point. Not many people like to owe up to the statement that we all seem to feel more comfortable around own own race(s). The multicultural programming runs deep indeed.

http://www.saintpatricksdayparade.com/charlotte/001_01%20background.jpg

Why can't those Negros and Jews support our real American culture and heritage???

:D

The Irish have a long history with America...

http://www.saintpatricksdayparade.com/nyc/history.htm

snips

The first recorded Saint Patrick's Day Parade in New York City took place fourteen years before the signing of the Declaration of Independence. On March 17,1762 a small group of Irish New Yorkers marched to the inn of one John Marshall/'at Mount Pleasant, near the College" (near the present-day intersection of Barclay and Church streets in lower Manhattan] where the day would be celebrated. Little else is known about that early parade, and in years earlier still there may have been similar marches and gatherings that have escaped record, but whatever else those solemn revelers accomplished on that late winter's day close on two and a half centuries ago, they began, or can be credited with beginning, here in New York, an annual celebration which has continued without interruption ever since...

So let it be said, with all Irish humility, that not only does New York's Saint Patrick's Day Parade predate the independence of the United States, it can even be traced, by extension, back nearly as far as St. Brendan the Navigator's discovery of the American New World.

St. Patrick's Day is a uniquely Irish holiday, and yet it is celebrated in more countries around the world than any other national holiday. There are St. Patrick's celebrations in Dublin, Tokyo, Melbourne, Kuala Lumpur, New Orleans, Savannah, Toronto, Auckland, Chicago and Montreal, to name a few/and the day must be a pleasure in all of those places, for those unlucky enough not to be in New York City. This geographical spread is less surprising when one considers the prolific dispersion undertaken by the Irish, through choice or necessity, over the past three centuries. There is no corner of the globe the Irish have left unvisited, and there is none where they have settled that has been more deeply shaped by them than has New York...

goldmonkey
8th September 2010, 12:12 PM
I have no issue with any immigrant celebrating where they came from in a day of remembrance (it's a chance to try new foods!). The bold line, "It feels good,” said a parade-goer. “Because when I get around my people, I feel like I'm where I should be.” is a pretty interesting point. Not many people like to owe up to the statement that we all seem to feel more comfortable around own own race(s). The multicultural programming runs deep indeed.

Anti-White Progressive recently admitted it as well:

Most human beings are more comfortable surrounded by others who look and sound as they do. (http://blogs.ajc.com/cynthia-tucker/2010/09/03/summer-of-discontent-backlash-to-the-browning-of-america/?cxntfid=blogs_cynthia_tucker)

I thought race was a social construct! :sarc:

Ponce
8th September 2010, 12:25 PM
Because of the way that I am and all that I have done I feel more comfy when away from everyone, I found out that on my own I never got into problems but that others brought me the problems for which I had to pay.

"No man is an Island" ????????

Ponce<----------he is not an island but a continent........ my strength and fortitude is my shield.