PDA

View Full Version : New Mosin Owner!! woot!

Heimdhal
11th September 2010, 01:52 PM
Just bought my first Mosin today. Im happy. Ive been meaning to pick one up for while, but have held off because they arent cheap here localy and I dont really have a nice out door range to really test its worth at. But, I was browsing the (extremley over priced) fun show today and the only booth I actualy like had one on the table for $110. I walked home with for $100 out the door.

I probably over paid, but I really like the Father/Son and Daughter team that runs the booth and they are good honest people, unlike 90% of the rest of the vendors where the next cheapest mosin was 169$ up to 229$.

Anyways, Im happy, the bore is clean, the stock needs a little touching up, but it has character. I dont know much about them, but from the markings I understand its an 1942r Iztash (sp). Blueing is good, in the 90%+ at least, all matching serial.

It doesnt have a sling or cleaning kit though, he didnt have any, which is a shame, but I can live with. Cant wait to get this baby out on the range for a little boom-boom.

madfranks
11th September 2010, 03:19 PM
Those are great rifles. I've got one myself, and those 7.62 x 54 rounds will penetrate almost anything!

Heimdhal
11th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Those are great rifles. I've got one myself, and those 7.62 x 54 rounds will penetrate almost anything!

I cant wait to get it out to the 1,000 yard range a few hours from my place where we do our appleseed shoots. Set the targets up around 500 yards to start and pew-pew! ;D

osoab
13th September 2010, 05:51 PM
Was the barrel caked with cosmo? Mine was.

the kid @ the shop said use boiling water to get the crap out.
Worked like a charm. I had never heard that before.

He also said something about using Windex after shooting corosive ammo. I have yet to try this.

Bastard kicks like a mule.

Heimdhal
13th September 2010, 06:36 PM
Was the barrel caked with cosmo? Mine was.

the kid @ the shop said use boiling water to get the crap out.
Worked like a charm. I had never heard that before.

He also said something about using Windex after shooting corosive ammo. I have yet to try this.

Bastard kicks like a mule.

Nah, who ever owned it before me cleaned of all the cosmo pretty well. and then apparently stuffed it under their bed for 20 years becuase it was caked in dust bunnies instead! Smoth a silk now that I got to it and got it on the buffing wheel.

The thing with the windex is that (nearly) all 7.62x54r is corrosive, particularly the old and surplus military stuff. What that means is that there are corrosive compounds (salts, mostly in the primer) in the cartridge and that shooting it will spray that stuff all over the internals of your rifle.

The windex (or any amonia based cleaner, even warm soapy water if you dont have that on hand) washes out and neutralizes these salts. So keep a spray bottle handy with you at the range and give it a little spray down of the bolt and barrel before packing up and going home, then when you get home, run a bore snake and some patches through the barrel till you get it clean and then put a light coat of oil.

This will keep the insides from getting the dreaded "orange fuzz" that corrosive ammo causes. It can pop up within a day, particulary if you are in a humid climate.

hope that helps ;)

(this isnt from my depths of knowledge on mosins, but I shoot corrosive in my AK sometimes and this is the generaly accepted cleaning method for ANY gun that uses corrosive ammo. At least with the mosin, theres no gas tube or exhaust ports to clean)

mightymanx
13th September 2010, 09:53 PM
In my experience the steel core stuff flies the best out of the cheap stuff. No offence but you are not 1000 yard shotable without a lot of work contrary to the you tube videos that make it seem easy. These things are "Minute of man" to 500 pretty much straight out of the cosmoline, but for 1000 yards think bedding lapping crowing and custom loading for starters. And unless you are one of the very few 1000 iron sight capable shooters (I sure in the hell ain't) you will need optics that cost 5-10 times the cost of the rifle to hold up to ole' Betsie's wallop of a kick.

Corrosive primers are a plus in my book 40+ year old ammo still shoots great, not so much on non corrosive primers.

Heimdhal
14th September 2010, 02:51 PM
In my experience the steel core stuff flies the best out of the cheap stuff. No offence but you are not 1000 yard shotable without a lot of work contrary to the you tube videos that make it seem easy. These things are "Minute of man" to 500 pretty much straight out of the cosmoline, but for 1000 yards think bedding lapping crowing and custom loading for starters. And unless you are one of the very few 1000 iron sight capable shooters (I sure in the hell ain't) you will need optics that cost 5-10 times the cost of the rifle to hold up to ole' Betsie's wallop of a kick.

Corrosive primers are a plus in my book 40+ year old ammo still shoots great, not so much on non corrosive primers.

No no no, I know the mosin wont be touching 1,000 yards as is with me shooting. I have no misunderstandings about that. I dont htink I could iron sight 1,000 yards if I wnated to, and even if I could, I doubt I could hit anything anyways. Its just we have NO out door ranges by me, and the one range I really like goes as far as 1,000 yards, and its really cool to see some of the 1,000 yard matches out there. Some of those guys are very impressive at that distance.

I'm good in the sub 500 yard catagory, but I've never shot the mosin and like you aid, they are probably minute of man or larger at that range, but its fun to throw sling some lead that far if you're able.

Im not going to get into the whole floating/bedding, hand loads etc etc upgrades on mine. I polished up the action and internals a little bit, the crown looks decent enough and Im going to refinish the stock next week, outside of that, Im going to leave it as is. I will rarley, if ever, have a need to shoot past 500 yards, and even more rarley will I ever have the chance to actualy practice it.

But Project Appleseed does instruct rifleman to shoot accuratly out to 500 yards, so I like to practice it when I can. ;)

Fortyone
14th September 2010, 05:33 PM

No no no, I know the mosin wont be touching 1,000 yards as is with me shooting. I have no misunderstandings about that. I dont htink I could iron sight 1,000 yards if I wnated to, and even if I could, I doubt I could hit anything anyways. Its just we have NO out door ranges by me, and the one range I really like goes as far as 1,000 yards, and its really cool to see some of the 1,000 yard matches out there. Some of those guys are very impressive at that distance.

I'm good in the sub 500 yard catagory, but I've never shot the mosin and like you aid, they are probably minute of man or larger at that range, but its fun to throw sling some lead that far if you're able.

Im not going to get into the whole floating/bedding, hand loads etc etc upgrades on mine. I polished up the action and internals a little bit, the crown looks decent enough and Im going to refinish the stock next week, outside of that, Im going to leave it as is. I will rarley, if ever, have a need to shoot past 500 yards, and even more rarley will I ever have the chance to actualy practice it.

But Project Appleseed does instruct rifleman to shoot accuratly out to 500 yards, so I like to practice it when I can. ;)

Dont feel bad, i cant even see 1000 yds anymore. good rifle though.

Heimdhal
14th September 2010, 05:37 PM

Dont feel bad, i cant even see 1000 yds anymore. good rifle though.

I hear ya man. Without my glasses Im not very good past 50 yards, and thats pushing it. I just see fuzz. But really, thats ok, cause you're supposed to focus on the front sight anyways, that just makes it easier! ;D ;D

Heimdhal
14th September 2010, 05:43 PM
Here she is, btw:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4293.jpg

CrufflerJJ
17th September 2010, 11:51 AM
Anyways, Im happy, the bore is clean, the stock needs a little touching up, but it has character. I dont know much about them, but from the markings I understand its an 1942r Iztash (sp). Blueing is good, in the 90%+ at least, all matching serial.

Looks like a nice rifle. Does your 1942 Izhevsk have rough machining on the barrel/receiver exterior? I've got a few from 1942-1943 that look like the receiver was gnawed from a block of steel by a beaver.

One warning re: using Windex (or other ammonia containing liquids) to swab out the bore...make sure that any excess doesn't run down onto the shellac finish on the wood. Ammonia solutions will dissolve shellac.

Have fun with your Mosin Nagant!

SLV^GLD
17th September 2010, 12:33 PM
I absolutely love my Mosin and it is the favorite of all shooters on any range trip I take friends on.
My only gripe is how difficult the bolt becomes to operate after a few rounds.
Any advice on loosening up the action without destroying the finish or value would be appreciated.

FWIW, I have a 91/59 which is the shortened carbine version of the 91/30. I find the shorter length makes the rifle much more manageable as it is not so end heavy. I suppose some velocity is sacrificed but the target doesn't seem to know that.

CrufflerJJ
18th September 2010, 02:09 PM
I absolutely love my Mosin and it is the favorite of all shooters on any range trip I take friends on.
My only gripe is how difficult the bolt becomes to operate after a few rounds.
Any advice on loosening up the action without destroying the finish or value would be appreciated.

FWIW, I have a 91/59 which is the shortened carbine version of the 91/30. I find the shorter length makes the rifle much more manageable as it is not so end heavy. I suppose some velocity is sacrificed but the target doesn't seem to know that.

Heavy bolt lift could be caused by a number of things:

- Excessive headspace (easy to measure with headspace gages). If excessive, swap around bolt heads until you find one to better match your chamber. Excessive headspace is pretty uncommon with MN rifles - I've only got one rifle with this problem (an older MN91).

- Lacquer coated cases. These tend to stick, especially if the chamber is rough or the chamber walls have any old lacquer residue. Try using a brass brush (sized to fit the chamber tightly) on a section of cleaning rod, chucked in a cordless drill. Apply liberal amounts of brake cleaner (DO NOT get this stuff on the shellac wood finish). Work it in & out of the chamber, follow up with a cleaning patch with more brake cleaner. Clean weapon as usual following brake cleaner use to re-lube anything stripped of lube.

- Heavily pitted chamber. This should be pretty obvious in fired cases - you'll see "bumps" sticking out from the fired case where the case expanded into pits in the chamber wall. My SVT40 used to do this, even with steel cased ammo.

- Choice of ammo. If it has the problem with silver tip ammo, try heavy ball. Or copper washed steel cased ammo. Or brass cased ammo (Yugo).

- Some folks will also use a shortened striker spring to reduce bolt lift. ONLY do this if you've got a spare (replacement) spring to return things to original if you get a bit too zealous with Mr. Dremel Tool when shortening the striker spring.

You could try polishing the bolt camming surfaces, but this generally is not the problem.

Shorter Mosin Nagants can be quite fun. Especially if it's a MN38 or MN91/59. Shorter barrel, no bayonet to add unnecessary weight, LOTSA recoil & muzzle flash.

SLV^GLD
18th September 2010, 04:57 PM
All parts are matching and I have checked head spacing. The chamber is exceptionally smooth. I do use milsurp lacquered cases and I suspect this is the culprit. The problem doesn't begin until several shots in when things heat up a bit. I've seen the same complaint crop up with other MN owners. IIRC they were shooting lacquered milsurp as well.

MN is a big muzzle flasher regardless of length but the 91/59 does make a bigger fireball and I am certain it a result of unspent powder burning on exit that would have otherwise been converted to bullet velocity in the longer 91/30. I am accepting of this as the 91/30 still makes nice big holes through everything from way off with the advantage of dramatically increased mobility.

BTW, I use windex in the barrel and on the bolt face at the range, myself.

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 04:41 PM
***!!!Field Reports with pictures!!!***

Finaly got the mosin and some of the other toys out today.

Of course, the mosin will be first. I skipped using up my sighter targets and went right to the zombie target at 25m just to make sure it all check out ok.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/zombie1.jpg

I cirlced the 5 shots from the mosin in red (the others are from a .22 mag dump)

First, I'd liek to explain my "errant" round that found its way into the poor zombies former reproductive area. It wasnt actualy an errant round. It wasnt totaly intentional either. See, I had been messing around with the mosin bolt and then remembered I didnt have a tool to check to see if the firing pin depth was correct. I was affraid it was protruding too far and would peirce the primer, sending gas back into the bolt face, thus sending the bolt assembly into MY face, which would hurt, alot. So, I got everything set up, and in the true spirit of manliness, I placed the rifle on the rest, i held it quite firmly in both hands, line up the sights, and then pulled my face as far to the left as humanly possible before squeezing off the trigger with my eyes closed and a little girly screech. And that is where the first shot went.

After inspecting the case for any bad signs of wear, and the primer for any signs of over penetration, I concluded my firing pin was just right, my chamber was pristin and I could safley continue the shoot. And so, with a little hesitation, I finished the mag, placing all my shots in the four inch red circle on Mr zombies chest. I wasnt going for accuracy, I was just testing to see if I was manly enough to fire the rest of the mag. I just barley was.

sNow, on to the other targets:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4506.jpg
This is a sighter for my marlin .22. I had to readjust my scope. I want to take this time now to never complain about my marlin again. Granted the first group (directly below the center square) is low, but all five shots are practically within the same hole, less than ½ inch total
Once I had it sighted in properly it was a tack driver the rest of the day. But I did notice my shots would slowly start to drift down. I don’t know if this was MY shooting, or my cheap scope. Im going to blame my cheap scope, simply because it’s the internet, and I can.

Next, I had to sight in one of my .30 cal rifles, an American built AK.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4508.jpg
It was WAY off. I don’t know why, but it was drastically off. You can see it was all over the place. A little tinkering with the sights and I eventually got it a little better. I was using 123 grain Wolf ammo, which isn’t exactly the most precise ammo on the market.

HOWEVER, I would like to take THIS opportunity to never chastise my AK again. Because, once I put a fresh new sighter target out at 25m and really focused, and used some low grade 124 brown bear ammo I shot THIS target, and repeated it the rest of day.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4509.jpg
Sure, its at 25 yards, but still that’s crappy ammo out of an AK, 5 rounds in just over 1 inch. Yeah, yeah, I know, its not mr sniper rifle, but I’ll take it. My last target that I shot with my Ak was at 100 yards. I regretfully do not have that target, because the track it was on got stuck at 100 yards and I could not retrieve it. I did take a peak at it through my .22 scope and all 30 rounds were well within the 8 inch circle. Well, it looked like 30, im sure a couple didn’t make it. This was all iron sights, btw, and god they suck.

My last target to display is a scaled AQT. It’s a little smaller than usual, so the ranges are a little “further” than usual.
I shot about two or three of these, didn’t get rifleman on any of em, but the one I did actually save wound up being scored 200.

Granted, the COF isn’t exactly the same since I cant do all the different position, but I did try to make it as difficult as possible and NOT use a bench rest on any of em. So, without any further ado, here it is:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/100_4507.jpg

All in all, not a bad 3 hours at the range. Lots of targets wound up in the trash, these came home for “studying” purposes. Thanks for reading yall.

Black Blade
26th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Here she is, btw:

Looks very good from the picture. The price is not bad either considering that even with a C&R license you are paying $80 minimum (sight unseen) plus shipping (add another $20) then add another $25 if no C&R (FFL transfer fee). Then hope you got one in decent condition. So you did good imo.

They are also surprising decent hunting rifles as well. I know someone who hunts elk with his and does very well. My next one will most likley be a Finn M39 or a Finn capture Mosin.

Heimdhal
26th September 2010, 09:00 PM
Here she is, btw:

Looks very good from the picture. The price is not bad either considering that even with a C&R license you are paying $80 minimum (sight unseen) plus shipping (add another $20) then add another $25 if no C&R (FFL transfer fee). Then hope you got one in decent condition. So you did good imo.

They are also surprising decent hunting rifles as well. I know someone who hunts elk with his and does very well. My next one will most likley be a Finn M39 or a Finn capture Mosin.

Yeah, Im happy with it and Im already scoping out others! Got a young guy wants to trade his m44 for one of my big two handed swords (zweihander), but I'll have to wait till end of october for that deal.

Just need to get my sissy shoulder up to the task of being able to shoot the darned thing! :D

SLV^GLD
27th September 2010, 05:54 AM
Just need to get my sissy shoulder up to the task of being able to shoot the darned thing! :D
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UOk1y2qeL._SS500_.jpg
I went from shooting 20 rounds to 100 with this thing. Also, if you take newbies to the range you can assure their enjoyment as well.