PDA

View Full Version : 15 Shocking Poverty Statistics That Are Skyrocketing As The American Middle Clas

wildcard
13th September 2010, 02:14 PM
link (http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/15-shocking-poverty-statistics-that-are-skyrocketing-as-the-american-middle-class-continues-to-be-slowly-wiped-out)

15 Shocking Poverty Statistics That Are Skyrocketing As The American Middle Class Continues To Be Slowly Wiped Out (rapidly, if you ask me)

The "America" that so many of us have taken for granted for so many decades is literally disintegrating right in front of our eyes. Most Americans are still operating under the delusion that the United States will always be "the wealthiest nation" in the world and that our economy will always produce large numbers of high paying jobs and that the U.S. will always have a very large middle class. But that is not what is happening. The very foundations of the U.S. economy have rotted away and we now find ourselves on the verge of an economic collapse. Already, millions upon millions of Americans are slipping out of the middle class and into the devastating grip of poverty. Statistic after statistic proves that the middle class in the United States is shrinking month after month after month. Meanwhile, millions of Americans are starting to wake up and are beginning to realize that we have very serious problems on our hands, but they have no idea what is causing our economic distress and they are unaware that most of our politicians have absolutely no idea how to fix the economic disaster that we have created.

On the mainstream news, the American people are treated to endless footage of leaders from both political parties proclaiming that the primary reason that we are in the midst of such an economic mess is because of what the other political party has done.

Republicans proclaim that we are experiencing all of this economic chaos because of the Democrats.

Democrats proclaim that we are experiencing all of this economic chaos because of the Republicans.

Even many readers of this column (who are generally more educated and more informed than most average Americans) leave comment after comment blaming either the Democrats of the Republicans for our current economic mess.

But do you really want to know who is to blame for our economic problems?

Both of them.

This economic nightmare has taken literally decades to develop, and both Democrats and Republicans have contributed greatly to this disaster.

Both parties have absolutely refused to stand up to the Federal Reserve and the horrific economic policies that they have been shoving down our throats for decades.

Both parties have stood idly by as the U.S. trade deficit has absolutely exploded in size and the United States has become significantly poorer month after month after month.

Both parties have refused to do anything as month after month after month large numbers of factories and good paying jobs leave the United States.

Both parties have shoved the spending accelerator to the floor when they have been in power and now we have the largest national debt in the history of the world.

Both parties have done essentially nothing as the health care industry, which was once the envy of the world, has degenerated into a cesspool of corruption and greed and now seems designed to do little more than to provide pharmaceutical companies and health insurance crooks with obscene profits.

If factories keep leaving the United States and jobs keep leaving the United States and the federal government keeps going into more debt and state governments keep going into more debt and local governments keep going into more debt, then things are going to keep getting worse.

It does not take a genius to figure that out.

The United States is continually getting poorer and is continually going into more debt.

Can anyone out there explain how that is a formula for economic prosperity?

Seriously.

Can anyone explain how that would work?

Please leave a comment and explain that to all of us if you can.

The truth is that as wealth continues to leave the United States and as the U.S. gets even deeper into debt, more Americans are going to become poor.

It really is that simple.

The following are 15 shocking poverty statistics that are skyrocketing as the American middle class continues to be slowly wiped out....

#1 Approximately 45 million Americans were living in poverty in 2009.

#2 According to the Associated Press, experts believe that 2009 saw the largest single year increase in the U.S. poverty rate since the U.S. government began calculating poverty figures back in 1959.

#3 The U.S. poverty rate is now the third worst among the developed nations tracked by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

#4 According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, on a year-over-year basis, household participation in the food stamp program has increased 20.28%.

#5 The number of Americans on food stamps surpassed 41 million for the first time ever in June.

#6 As of June, the number of Americans on food stamps had set a new all-time record for 19 consecutive months.

#7 One out of every six Americans is now being served by at least one government anti-poverty program.

#8 More than 50 million Americans are now on Medicaid, the U.S. government health care program designed principally to help the poor.

#9 One out of every seven mortgages in the United States was either delinquent or in foreclosure during the first quarter of 2010.

#10 Nearly 10 million Americans now receive unemployment insurance, which is almost four times as many as were receiving it in 2007.

#11 The number of Americans receiving long-term unemployment benefits has risen over 60 percent in just the past year.

#12 According to one recent survey, 28% of all U.S. households have at least one member that is looking for a full-time job.

#13 Nationwide, bankruptcy filings rose 20 percent in the 12 month period ending June 30th.

#14 More than 25 percent of all Americans now have a credit score below 599.

#15 One out of every five children in the United States is now living in poverty.

As millions more Americans continue to climb on to the "safety net", how long is it going to be before it breaks?

The reality is that the system can only support so many people. We are now at a point where our anti-poverty programs are clearly unsustainable in the long-term, but nobody has a solution for how we are going to get all of these people off of these programs or how we are going to provide good jobs for all of them.

The cost of every U.S. government anti-poverty program is absolutely soaring. Meanwhile, the U.S. government is already running a budget deficit that is approaching 1.5 trillion dollars every year. If you cannot understand that we have a very serious problem on our hands then you are probably not awake.

The U.S. economic system is dying. Blaming the other political party is not a solution. Running around the country offering "hope" and "change" and giving people a vague sense that things will get "better" soon is not going to cut it either.

The American people need very real economic solutions to very real economic problems.

But nearly all of our politicians are way too busy either trying to get elected or trying to stay in office to tackle the very serious problems which are destroying our economy.

Unfortunately, the American people love to watch our politicians play politics. They love to watch the little ping-pong ball of blame go back and forth. They love to pick sides and to cheer for their "team".

None of that is doing any good. Right now millions of Americans are getting sucked into poverty each year and neither major political party is doing anything real to address the very real economic problems that are causing that to happen.

But most Americans have become so "dumbed down" that they don't even understand what the real problems are anymore.

All most Americans seem to want these days is to watch a good show.

So send in the clowns.

There are certainly enough of them in Washington D.C. to keep Americans entertained for quite a long time.

Ponce
13th September 2010, 02:57 PM
I have a lot and yet......I have nothing because I feel that all that I have is not really mine and that I am only using it for now..... adjust your way of life to your money and not your money to your way of life....or you will be broke all the time.

Unless I get killed in what is to come I will be living 10 years from now as I am not because of two reasons......ONE...I made the proper preparations and TWO...I don't need much to live with.

There is a vast difference between "I want" and "I need".........think of need and not want.

cedarchopper
13th September 2010, 03:20 PM
The darkest hour is just before the dawn. If you are betting on an economic collapse, you'll probably lose. I'm starting to think we are getting close to a bottom...I haven't thought that in a long time. This is one of those windows...when everybody wants to buy, you sell, when everybody wants to sell, you buy. So simple, yet so hard.

wildcard
13th September 2010, 03:21 PM
They are shearing the sheep. Just like 1929.

cedarchopper
13th September 2010, 03:26 PM
They are shearing the sheep. Just like 1929.

Of course the shearing is going on, but I think we are in the 1932-33 phase.

ximmy
13th September 2010, 03:39 PM
The darkest hour is just before the dawn. If you are betting on an economic collapse, you'll probably lose. I'm starting to think we are getting close to a bottom...I haven't thought that in a long. This is one of those windows...when everybody wants to buy, you sell, when everybody sell, you buy. So simple, yet so hard.

umm... no changes or corrections since 2008.. only a self-injection of capital by TPTB... the propping up of inflated housing prices, the dollar... we have not had a "darkest hour" yet...

BTW... the commoners have been selling their gold for a few measly dollars... the television masses have no idea

How many times must Ximy say, "Do you really think the dollar is going to hold value over the next two years???"

LuckyStrike
13th September 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm just tired of seeing poor fat people, well really fat people in general but specifically the ones where we are buying the food.

cedarchopper
13th September 2010, 04:47 PM
The darkest hour is just before the dawn. If you are betting on an economic collapse, you'll probably lose. I'm starting to think we are getting close to a bottom...I haven't thought that in a long. This is one of those windows...when everybody wants to buy, you sell, when everybody sell, you buy. So simple, yet so hard.

umm... no changes or corrections since 2008.. only a self-injection of capital by TPTB... the propping up of inflated housing prices, the dollar... we have not had a "darkest hour" yet...

BTW... the commoners have been selling their gold for a few measly dollars... the television masses have no idea

How many times must Ximy say, "Do you really think the dollar is going to hold value over the next two years???"

Stranger things have happened. What is inflating? Housing, jobs, investments?

Banks aren't lending...dollars are scarce. Until banks open up the spigots, we won't see across the board dollar devaluation. Will that happen over the next 2 years...we'll see. And if they do, business conditions will improve.

Lots of debt has been written off and people are saving.

No doubt the bottom 50% are hurting bad and selling off anything of value just to survive, doesn't mean business conditions won't improve...it's all about the credit availability.

illumin19
13th September 2010, 04:48 PM
I'm just tired of seeing poor fat people, well really fat people in general but specifically the ones where we are buying the food.

Hahaha....no kidding, I don't how many times I see homeless "healthy" people.

But, now that I think about it....it's usually the poor that have to eat or usually do eat at "Mckey D's" and all the other diabetes in a cup or cancer in a carton fat's food eateries.

LuckyStrike
13th September 2010, 04:50 PM
But, now that I think about it....it's usually the poor that have to eat or usually do eat at "Mckey D's" and all the other diabetes in a cup or cancer in a carton fat's food eateries.

That's certainly their cop out, but you know what is cheaper thank Mckey D's? Seeds, if they are unemployed than they have plenty of time to grow their own food instead of eating potato chips while watching soaps.

cedarchopper
13th September 2010, 04:51 PM

Actually, it is quite sad. Most people believe that if food can be sold, it is safe for them to eat. People are so trusting, especially the lower economic classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

illumin19
13th September 2010, 05:01 PM
^^ So true Nordic and Cedar.

I think getting over the trust of food being safe because it's sold that Cedar talked about would definately lead to what Nordic was talking about.......seeds being sold more and the skyrocketing of their price.....maybe. Then again some will have an excuse for lazy.

Ponce
13th September 2010, 05:06 PM
You people are thinking of it backwards.........remember "Is better to have and not need than to need and not have"... by X?.

Even if nothing happens I have already saved money with what I have, at least 40-60% and at the end I will use it anyway........take tp, not only have I saved 60% but now the rolls are 4" instead of 4.5".........and I have tp just about for ever..........and IF something happens? I then will be ready.........to me is a win-win situation and nothing to feel sorry for.

LuckyStrike
13th September 2010, 07:01 PM

Actually, it is quite sad. Most people believe that if food can be sold, it is safe for them to eat. People are so trusting, especially the lower economic classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

Food Inc is a great movie too for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/food-inc-limited-dvdrip-xvid-zoom-gcjm-t3136206.html

Cebu_4_2
13th September 2010, 07:23 PM
Food Inc... the next weekend family movie. Even if my kid don't get it it will be in dos, it will soak into his head like osmosis.

FunnyMoney
13th September 2010, 10:47 PM
About the only way to send the food industry a message is to buy organic and do the research to assure it really is organic. But with these poverty stats, not sure if the country will be able to afford it.

Of course if the country didn't have to spend over half of everything in taxes they could easily.

Phoenix
14th September 2010, 12:53 PM
About the only way to send the food industry a message is to buy organic and do the research to assure it really is organic. But with these poverty stats, not sure if the country will be able to afford it.

Of course if the country didn't have to spend over half of everything in taxes they could easily.

Most of the early "organic movement" sold out long ago. Most of the "big names," such Tom's of Maine, compromised their principles for money and sold their brands to megacorporations that are behind most of the non-organic products in stores.

Many have also adopted the PHONY USDA "Organic" and abandoned the trustworthy certifications of California Organic or Oregon Tilth.

FunnyMoney
19th September 2010, 05:06 PM
Most of the early "organic movement" sold out long ago. ...

Makes sense. After all it is a fiat system and there's the quote about "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

-

Back to the middle class... nobody has protected themselves with precious metals. The middle class has some guns but nobody understands the real problem is the central bank and the federal govt. A lot of those gun owners think the problem is some symptom issue like blacks, legal resident status, or a religion / ethnic race.

The problem has always been the same. The founding fathers warned the nation about central banks, control over the money, and big govt. I still believe somehow the big inflation and the big pain doesn't come for another handful of years. There's still time for the middle class to put some money into silver and gold but nobody is listening.

The founding fathers explained the true dangers, they understood how money worked and how tiny elite groups could obtain control over the money which would end in complete corruption and the loss of liberty. I do not expect there will be a middle class by the end of this decade. Their only hope is to go into trade / barter businesses at the local level as they have not put anywhere near enough money into real wealth and proper preparations.

Of course, the federal govt and the central banks could simply just cease to exist, and all our problems would go away. Somehow I don't think it's going to happen.