PDA

View Full Version : 100,000's of dead fish/animals in Lousiana

DMac
14th September 2010, 06:26 AM
Wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_9u7oaoM8

OilFlorida | 13 September 2010

Dead whale and thousands of dead fish found near Venice shipping canal, WWL-TV New Orleans, September 13, 2010 at 10:41 p.m. EDT:

Thousands of fish and a dead whale on Monday were found...

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser... said there is no testing going on to determine if it's from the oil spill, although the northern Gulf of Mexico has suffered from a persistent dead zone of low oxygen, blamed on nutrient rich runoff from the Mississippi River.

Nungesser said this is different because usually the kills happen to only one or two species of fish.

AUDIO: Don Dubuc, WWL Radio.

Oil was present near fishkill:
LINK (http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/breaking-hundreds-of-thousands-of-dead-crab-shrimp-finfish-in-louisiana-we-cant-continue-to-see-these-fish-kills-says-official)

WGNO: "The area has been heavily impacted and oil is visible in some of these pictures."

Joe King
14th September 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm pretty sure low oxygen levels in the water won't kill a whale since they are mammels and don't have gills.
But eating poisoned fish might kill one.

Horn
14th September 2010, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty sure low oxygen levels in the water won't kill a whale since they are mammels and don't have gills.

Not to mention the rotting corpse & lack of live fish to consume...

ShortJohnSilver
14th September 2010, 07:48 AM

Excellent catch!

Interesting that they haven't got around to doing any lab tests yet... is it truly difficult to perform an autopsy on a 1-pound fish?

Joe King
14th September 2010, 07:58 AM

Excellent catch!

Interesting that they haven't got around to doing any lab tests yet... is it truly difficult to perform an autopsy on a 1-pound fish?Yes, apparently so.

Celtic Rogue
14th September 2010, 08:02 AM
... and when will we kill a kestone species in the food web causing it to colapse?

Its just a matter of time before The food chain and its bounty are destroyed by humans and their waistful and poluting lifestyles.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Keystone_species

Joe King
14th September 2010, 08:14 AM
Perhaps this is what Ponce meant by "and millions will die"?

In all fairness, he didn't say those millions would necessarily be people. Although they may in fact follow.

Glass
14th September 2010, 10:56 PM
Perhaps this is what Ponce meant by "and millions will die"?

In all fairness, he didn't say those millions would necessarily be people. Although they may in fact follow.

Yes the modern science of Food Chain-ology suggests that big things eat littler things and that when bigger things don't eat they get hungry but that the hunger eventually ends.

Some one (i.e. tens of thousands of people) should scoop up some of that there river kill and send it on down town to BP's office. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Alternatively I see an opportunity to harvest that bounty and turn it into fish emulsion fertilizer which can be used to grow vegetables and fruits and other such yummy things. Could be a winner IMO.