PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Taking Profits

osoab
14th September 2010, 09:10 AM
Not that my mining shares are that great in quantity, but I was wondering if anyone is profit take prior to Gold Options Experiation that is coming up shortly.

I've got some nice profits and I don't want to be holding a back when the smack down shows up.

Options expire on the 27th. Do you think run still has legs?

DMac
14th September 2010, 09:44 AM
Not that my mining shares are that great in quantity, but I was wondering if anyone is profit take prior to Gold Options Experiation that is coming up shortly.

I've got some nice profits and I don't want to be holding a back when the smack down shows up.

Options expire on the 27th. Do you think run still has legs?

It might, but like I wrote in the Palladium thread this is a good profit taking opportunity if you are worried (like me) that there could be some real turbulence in the future prices.

Saul Mine
14th September 2010, 10:26 AM
??

What exactly are you holding? You mention stocks and options. What exactly do you count your profits in? I would assume you count US$.

Please notice that these are valid questions, even though you may not know anybody who has ever asked them. Almost everybody assumes US$ to be real money and never even examines that assumption. They are slaves to the tape. But you don't have to invest that way. I personally would not pay money for a stock right now for any reason. Even if you get your money back it is not worth as much as when you payed it out.

Suppose you were to spend your money on silver or gold. Most of the time an ounce of gold is worth about 65 to 80 ounces of silver. We call that GSR, the gold/silver ratio. Let's say you buy silver when the GSR is 70. After a while it goes to 50, as it does every year or so. (This last swing has taken 2 1/2 years.) At that time you swap your silver for 1.4 ounces of gold. No cash, a straight swap. Then you wait until the GSR swings up to 70 again and you swap your 1.4 ounces of gold for 98 ounces of silver. You now hold 28 ounces of silver for your profit. A 40% profit with no additional cash. Please note that you count your profits in ounces, not in paper money. You have absolute safety because you are always 100% invested in physical metals.

Another important point is

Kali
14th September 2010, 10:32 AM
I'll take profits selling some physical when silver hits $25.

gunDriller
14th September 2010, 11:33 AM
do video cameras count ?

CVS had these Craig video cameras for $25 each. i bought 3, thinking they would make a good Christmas present among other things.

still had my receipt, didn't open them.

so they dropped the price on the cameras to $12.49.

so i returned the 3 cameras, got my $81.60 back, and bought 5 cameras for $12.49 each.

so i walked into the store with 3 cameras and a receipt and walked out with 5 cameras and about $13 cash.

that's sort of like taking profits.

osoab
14th September 2010, 01:32 PM
do video cameras count ?

so i walked into the store with 3 cameras and a receipt and walked out with 5 cameras and about $13 cash.

that's sort of like taking profits.

Nice profit, but video camera for $12.49? Are they that good?

Or should I say are they that Bad?

osoab
14th September 2010, 01:38 PM
??

What exactly are you holding? You mention stocks and options. What exactly do you count your profits in? I would assume you count US$.

I am talking about selling mining shares.

With the current run up in the spot price of gold and with gold options experiation coming up, the normal trend has been a complete knock of the metals price which normally effects the miners share price to the negative side.

There has not been much discussion on the board about mining stocks, so I was thowing it out there.
Just trying to see if others have the same thought.

Not selling physical, just shares.

Did get three orders sold.
I missed out on the days highs though. >:(

bellevuebully
14th September 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm sitting tight. I can stomach the inevitable ups and downs because I have a very strong conviction about the fragility of the worlds economies. When I see the fundies change, I also will change and alter what, when and how I invest. That being said, if a certain equity gets a little overheated, take a profit and either wait (patiently) for a pullback or find something undervalued to buy. I will warn you though, getting back in is always an exercise in frustration.

gunDriller
15th September 2010, 05:32 AM
Nice profit, but video camera for $12.49? Are they that good?

Or should I say are they that Bad?

640 x 480, run for about 2 hours.

about an inch thick.

oddly they wouldn't sell at $50, so CVS reduced the price to their cost ($25), and then even lower.

store manager says they might be getting a higher resolution one.

Craig CCR-9002, Craig doesn't have a website.

Neuro
16th September 2010, 01:27 AM
At my pension account (can't withdraw from it). I have had a 100% allocation to Blackrocks gold mining fund. I put in an order today where I changed it to 40% gold mining, 25% mining, and 35% forest industry funds. I have about 14 hours to change my mind. I did a good trade during the summer doldrums getting out of 100% gold mining to 40% and 60% Jim Rogers commodities fund, and changed back when gold started it's climb. I increased the number of shares in Black rocks Gold mining fund 10% with that trade...

Raw materials rocks! Anyway isn't it astonishing that you can buy a freaking video camera for less than the price of an ounce of Silver?

gunDriller
16th September 2010, 05:47 AM
At my pension account (can't withdraw from it). I have had a 100% allocation to Blackrocks gold mining fund. I put in an order today where I changed it to 40% gold mining, 25% mining, and 35% forest industry funds. I have about 14 hours to change my mind. I did a good trade during the summer doldrums getting out of 100% gold mining to 40% and 60% Jim Rogers commodities fund, and changed back when gold started it's climb. I increased the number of shares in Black rocks Gold mining fund 10% with that trade...

Raw materials rocks! Anyway isn't it astonishing that you can buy a freaking video camera for less than the price of an ounce of Silver?

yeah, i am surprised by how cheap these cameras are. i will give a few to friends who have children with bully problems at school.

but - as far as the pension - if i had money in a stock market plan, i'd probably put a good part into physical silver & gold trust, like Sprott. do they let you do that ? when i do a search on Yahoo Finance, PHYS is listed like a regular stock.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PHYS

Neuro
16th September 2010, 06:29 AM
No unfortunately I can only invest in a select number of funds no individual shares, and not Sprott either :(

Further I have to wait until I am at least 55 (41 now) And by then I expect the whole shabang to be in ashes...

Neuro
16th September 2010, 01:14 PM

ok I decided to pull away my order. I think it is very likely that gold will take off from here, breakout with 3 days of closings above previous high. For the moment I will ride the gold wagon, and continue 100% on gold miners.

I will probably regret it... ;)

osoab
16th September 2010, 03:51 PM

ok I decided to pull away my order. I think it is very likely that gold will take off from here, breakout with 3 days of closings above previous high. For the moment I will ride the gold wagon, and continue 100% on gold miners.

I will probably regret it... ;)

I am thinking a dip will occur in the miners next week. That is if Gold gets smacked like a red-headed step child before the 27. That didn't occur in August with the paper price of Gold and this has me on the fence of what to do now.

Glad I took profits on some of what I sold earlier. MGH was one up 36% in 12 trading days or so. UXG took 15% has still been climbing with golds strength. Crap!

Saul Mine
17th September 2010, 05:14 AM
http://www.dailysteals.com/

All kinds of cheap crap. Sometimes even free crap.

GardensGoldGuns
20th September 2010, 08:48 PM
HEllo Gang!

My first Post!

Take some off the table on The PGM metals! Plat & Pd. Tied to tightly to the stock market & when she drops, its hard!

Gold,Silver
Buy the dips! ;D

gunDriller
21st September 2010, 07:12 AM
HEllo Gang!

My first Post!

Take some off the table on The PGM metals! Plat & Pd. Tied to tightly to the stock market & when she drops, its hard!

Gold,Silver
Buy the dips! ;D

hi GGG

do you have a brick & mortar type store ?

glad to see you here on this forum !

gunDriller
21st September 2010, 07:19 AM
oops

GardensGoldGuns
22nd September 2010, 09:19 PM
Nope not yet!

Do most of the Socal shows

Goin to LB?

gunDriller
23rd September 2010, 05:13 AM
Nope not yet!

Do most of the Socal shows

Goin to LB?

no ... but i bet it's a good show !

Jeez - that's today !

undgrd
24th September 2010, 07:24 AM
Suppose you were to spend your money on silver or gold. Most of the time an ounce of gold is worth about 65 to 80 ounces of silver. We call that GSR, the gold/silver ratio. Let's say you buy silver when the GSR is 70. After a while it goes to 50, as it does every year or so. (This last swing has taken 2 1/2 years.) At that time you swap your silver for 1.4 ounces of gold. No cash, a straight swap. Then you wait until the GSR swings up to 70 again and you swap your 1.4 ounces of gold for 98 ounces of silver. You now hold 28 ounces of silver for your profit. A 40% profit with no additional cash. Please note that you count your profits in ounces, not in paper money. You have absolute safety because you are always 100% invested in physical metals.

With the GSR around 60, are you considering doing any swapping at all?

osoab
24th September 2010, 06:40 PM

With the GSR around 60, are you considering doing any swapping at all?

I don't know if Saul will answer you undgrd. He got hot in one of prep threads and said he wasn't coming back.

I think that most of the stuff I have read of Saul's is that the he swaps @ 50. Me, I would look @ the trend too. If it is at 50 and is dropoing like a rock, I would wait or DCA down.

I'm a dreamer I'm looking for a 1:20 ratio. 20 gold to 1 silver. HA!

Neuro
25th September 2010, 01:11 AM
I think a 20:1 ratio is entirely possible too. I am dreaming of a 10:1 ratio though ;)

osoab
25th September 2010, 04:49 AM
I think a 20:1 ratio is entirely possible too. I am dreaming of a 10:1 ratio though ;)

A realist, I see. 8)