PDA

View Full Version : Israeli aircraft strike Gaza as leaders convene

MNeagle
15th September 2010, 09:20 AM
By MATTI FRIEDMAN, Associated Press Writer Matti Friedman, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 39 mins ago
JERUSALEM – Militants launched mortar shells into Israel and Israeli jets bombed targets in Gaza on Wednesday, just as Israeli and Palestinian leaders held peace talks in Jerusalem with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Gaza militants opposed to peace with Israel have threatened to derail the fledgling negotiations, and the Israeli military said eight mortars and one rocket hit Israel by mid-afternoon on the day of the talks — the highest daily total since March 2009. There were no injuries.

Israeli warplanes responded by bombing a smuggling tunnel along the Gaza-Egypt border, the military said. Hamas officials said one person was killed and four wounded.

In Jerusalem, little more than an hour's drive from Gaza, Clinton said Israeli and Palestinian leaders were "getting down to business" on the major issues dividing them, though there was no sign they were any closer to resolving a looming crisis over Israeli West Bank settlements.

The American secretary of state was in Jerusalem for a second day of talks aimed in part at ending the impasse, a day after meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at a summit hosted by Egypt.

"They are getting down to business and they have begun to grapple with the core issues that can only be resolved through face-to-face negotiations," Clinton told reporters. "I believe they are serious about reaching an agreement that results in two states living side by side in peace and security."

Abbas has threatened to walk out of the talks if Israel resumes construction in the settlements after a 10-month slowdown expires at the end of the month. Clinton and President Barack Obama have called on Netanyahu to extend the slowdown.

Netanyahu has signaled he is looking for a compromise. Earlier this week, he said the current curbs won't remain in place after the end of this month, though he will continue to restrict building activity to some extent.

The Palestinians oppose the settlements because they eat up land they want for their future state. Some 300,000 Israelis live scattered among the West Bank's 2.5 million Palestinians. An additional 200,000 Israelis live in east Jerusalem, the section of the holy city the Palestinians claim as their capital.

President Barack Obama has made his pursuit of a Mideast settlement a centerpiece of his foreign policy. After months of U.S. shuttle diplomacy, he summoned the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to Washington early this month to formally launch the first direct negotiations since talks collapsed in 2008 following Israel's military offensive in Gaza. Obama hopes to forge a deal within a year.

Negotiators will have to tackle a series of issues that have undermined talks in the past: the location of the border between Israel and a future Palestinian state, the fate of Palestinian refugees and the competing claims to the holy city of Jerusalem.

But they will have a hard time addressing those disputes if they cannot resolve the disagreement on the settlement slowdown.

Under intense international pressure, Netanyahu declared curbs on West Bank settlement construction last November, seeking to draw the Palestinians back to the negotiating table. At the time the Palestinians dismissed the move as insignificant, an irony Clinton pointed out ahead of Tuesday's talks in Egypt.

"Now we're told that negotiations cannot continue unless something that was viewed as being inadequate continues," she said.

The slowdown is set to expire on Sept. 26, and Netanyahu is being pressed by many of his religious and nationalist allies in Israel's coalition government to resume construction. Members of his own Likud Party have taken out ads in Israeli dailies in recent days demanding an end to the slowdown.

Both Netanyahu and Abbas share a common enemy: Hamas. The Islamic group took over Gaza in 2007 after ousting Abbas' forces, and it has threatened to unleash new violence as the peace talks move forward.

Following Wednesday's airstrike, Hamas said its security forces had evacuated their installations in preparation for further Israeli retaliation.

A senior Israeli military officer forecast further violence in the coming days.

The officer, speaking on condition of anonymity under military guidelines, said Hamas has become increasingly involved in the violence, turning a blind eye to the attacks and occasionally giving its permission to "proxies" to carry out violence.

Hamas has largely refrained from directly carrying out attacks since a devastating Israeli offensive early last year, and has at times even reined in other armed groups from attacking. But with the resumption of peace talks, the militant group has threatened to change its policy.

Early this week, the head of Israel's Shin Bet security agency warned that Hamas would try to torpedo the new talks, and when negotiations were officially launched early this month, Hamas militants killed four Israelis in the West Bank.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100915/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_talks

Libertarian_Guard
15th September 2010, 10:24 AM
"They are getting down to business and they have begun to grapple with the core issues that can only be resolved through face-to-face negotiations," Clinton told reporters. "I believe they are serious about reaching an agreement that results in two states living side by side in peace and security."

I am NOT a fan of the Clinton's, but you have to hand it to Hillary, she is good at her job!

Spewing B.S. like this can not be easily done, well, at least not with a straight face.

Book
15th September 2010, 10:35 AM
Spewing B.S. like this can not be easily done, well, at least not with a straight face.

http://cdn1.beeffco.com/files/poll-images/normal/mahmoud-abbas_3795.jpg

Abbas is a tool of Israel and the USA and no real Palestinian supports him...lol.

:D

Book
15th September 2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.pjvoice.com/v42/photos/anna.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/03/alg_handshake.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/video/world/2010/09/14/wedeman.me.peace.talks.cnn.640x360.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/15/world/15mideastspan-cnd/15mideastspan-cnd-articleLarge.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Cxj2tgSj4kU/TEHn3kRptAI/AAAAAAAAD5U/Uabt6C5qpKI/s1600/israel-palestine-map.jpg

Why is Abbas smiling?

:o

the white rabbit
15th September 2010, 10:48 AM
Here come the cry babbies . When we post the truth they deny and cry even louder . Open the door ....

Libertarian_Guard
15th September 2010, 10:57 AM
Here come the cry babbies . When we post the truth they deny and cry even louder . Open the door ....

Who is the "we" you speak of?

the white rabbit
15th September 2010, 11:04 AM

Let me start with you ! If I'am wrong then let me stand corrected .

Libertarian_Guard
15th September 2010, 11:12 AM

Let me start with you ! If I'am wrong then let me stand corrected .

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Libertarian_Guard
15th September 2010, 11:40 AM
Book

I was commenting on what Hillary said. She can’t possibly believe her own words, unless her sense of reason has been totally contaminated by her own political B.S. that she has been spewing for years on end now, that she actually believes her own B.S. as reality, rather than part of some twisted campaign rhetoric.

In either case, she is promoting a lie.

The intentions or position of Abbas are far less clear to me, since I see his people as getting the short end of the stick. I really can’t say if he is playing along and buying time, or if he is a dupe that is being played.

DMac
15th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Book

I was commenting on what Hillary said. She can’t possibly believe her own words, unless her sense of reason has been totally contaminated by her own political B.S. that she has been spewing for years on end now, that she actually believes her own B.S. as reality, rather than part of some twisted campaign rhetoric.

In either case, she is promoting a lie.

The intentions or position of Abbas are far less clear to me, since I see his people as getting the short end of the stick. I really can’t say if he is playing along and buying time, or if he is a dupe that is being played.

Abbas is "controlled opposition." He was chosen by (insert secret group name here) and is widely accepted as not being an actual supporter of the Palestinian people. There is plenty of info out there on this.

DMac
15th September 2010, 11:51 AM
'Our situation worsens every day' (http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m69778&hd=&size=1&l=e)
Palestinians in the West Bank's Dheisheh refugee camp explain why they have little faith in the talks.

snip

Saeed Abu Mohammed, 56, father of a political prisoner

"Since the Oslo and Camp David agreements were signed, things have gotten worse. Today, the settlements and the checkpoints have increased. Before previous peace agreements, there were no settlements like there are now. The water and electricity problems have worsened since those negotiations. From the beginning, the Israelis have gained everything, and Palestinians have gained nothing.

The real peace would mean giving Palestinians control over their infrastructure and taking all the settlements out of the West Bank. This is the real peace. Anything else will never work."

It must be so lovely over there this time of year....

Israeli troops assault Palestinian workers at West Bank checkpoint (http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m69777&hd=&size=1&l=e)

September 14, 2010 - IMEMC Staff

Israeli soldiers stationed at Al Hamra military checkpoint in the Jordan Valley detained a group of Palestinian workers on Tuesday morning and assaulted them, a Palestinian media source reported.

Nimir Sawaftah, one of the attacked workers, said soldiers beat him up with their rifle buts and batons; and was moved to a local hospital as he sustained moderate wounds.

The Union of Palestinian Workers, condemned the assault on the workers and called on International human right organizations to intervene to end the "Israeli daily harassment" that Palestinians who need to cross any checkpoint in the West Bank have to suffer.

There are currently around 500 Israeli checkpoint and roadblocks, some of them manned, and some not, inside the West Bank. These checkpoint make the daily travel of Palestinians to their work or school and to any other destination, a nightmare.

Speaking of orphaned children (http://gold-silver.us/forum/general-discussion/one-in-every-six-iraqis-is-an-orphan/): (Blowback is going to be a BITCH)

Divided We Educate (http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m69776&hd=&size=1&l=e)

snip

Due to the endemic poverty in East Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank, hundreds of Palestinian children are forced on to the streets by parents who are living below the poverty level in a desperate bid to eke out a few extra dollars to help their families survive.

These children should be in school securing a better future for themselves but Israel's discriminatory education policies between Jewish West Jerusalem and Palestinian East Jerusalem is driving these youngsters out of school – if they are lucky enough to be enrolled in the first place.

Knesset (Israeli parliament) member Jamal Zahalka claimed earlier in the year that "educational provision for Palestinian children in East Jerusalem is worse than anywhere in the occupied Palestinian Territories, including Gaza, or in refugee camps in Lebanon, Jordan and Syria."

More than 5,000 Palestinian children in East Jerusalem do not attend school at all. The dropout rate for Palestinian school students in East Jerusalem is 50 percent, compared with about 12 percent for Jewish students.

"The rate of school dropouts, and the level of poverty amongst Palestinians in East Jerusalem, is frightening," Orly Noy from the Israeli rights group Ir Amim told IPS.

"The severe neglect of the education system in East Jerusalem is brewing a catastrophe," adds Tali Nir, a lawyer with the Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI).

Libertarian_Guard
15th September 2010, 12:10 PM
Almost without exception (Jordan being one possible exception) every single leader (or puppet) of a Muslim / Arab country that has ever negotiated with or recognized the state of Israel, is or has been seen by the oppressed under their control as a puppet, tool or sellout. So in this regard, why should Abbas be seen in a different light?

Fortyone
15th September 2010, 04:33 PM
refer to the map, IMHO The entire weight of the US military should be brought to bear to FORCE a peace. no dividing the country, blah blah, never works, F uck Gaza. Give the Muslims the West Bank, ALL OF IT,deport every Jew in the US to Israel,under their "right of return" horseshit. then cut off all funding to either party,either get along or pass into history. give Gaza to Egypt,its too fucking small to be a country and the Hebes aint leaving without a fight to the end. Just do it.

Book
15th September 2010, 06:31 PM
...deport every Jew in the US to Israel, under their "right of return" horsesh*t.

Fortyone For Secretary Of State 2012!!!

:D