PDA

View Full Version : Watches - an invitation for recommendations or reviews

Glass
16th September 2010, 01:44 AM
I am in the market for a watch that would be suitable for a preparedness role. That is not the key function but something that is rugged, multi functional in that it keeps time but has other functions usefull if trecking or bugging out. Any military folks on board got something they like?

I didn't want to lay down any criteria for a watch like price or functions but I guess I will. I'd prefer analog and chrono but I am open to ideas. Frugal is good but functionality is more important.

Any thoughts on:
Basic direction finding
Actual compass
Solar
Atomic
Multi time zones
Multi alarm
Water
Colour
Backlight
Trinium
Build quality
After sales backup (obviously pre SHTF)
Anything else worth mentioning

I wondered if anyone has something they find useful and could/would recommend. Anyone fancy putting a review into the prep reviews section or posting here?

Thanks
Cheers

SLV^GLD
16th September 2010, 03:54 AM
I recommend no watch at all. Without this useless aid your own inner clock and other skills become much more acute.

I know this because I cannot wear watch as it will stop in less than a week, regardless of build or "quality". I can tell you the time to the minute more accurately than a person wearing a watch can.

For fun, ask a group of people to tell you the time on their watches and note the 15-20 minute spread in the times.

Good luck.

G2Rad
16th September 2010, 04:06 AM
I love my DW5600E-1V. Bought mine for $30. Should have bought a pair.

The 5600 has everything I need, and nothing I don't:
- It tells you the time, date, and day of the week at a glance.
- It has 1 alarm (not 5 like many other G-Shocks -- too fidly).
- A countdown timer (with the current time shown in the upper box).
- A stopwatch (again, time is still shown).

That's it. If you want fancy "features" like inaccurate temperature readings, barometric pressure graph which gets distorted by temperature and altitude, 19 alarms, and world time in 7,000 cities around the world -- look elsewhere! This watch does exactly what a wristwatch should, which in my opinion is tell the time, and take an absolute beating. I don't particularly want to stand in public pressing 15 buttons on my watch, just to set a quick alarm to remind me of something. This 5600 keeps everything relatively simple (obviously go through the manual when you first get it).

(I started collecting G-Shocks; they have all since been given away/sold since I discovered this little beauty. I had a Riseman, Gulfman, Mudman, and G7700 -- and none of them were worn after purchasing this. And I paid AUS$350 for the Riseman!)

The design of this watch is absolutely classic. It is truly a "timeless" design for a digital watch. The best thing about it is the simplicity -- it is one of the few G-Shocks which doesn't have random circles which show the seconds, bar graphs, a bezel 2 inches off your wrist, etc etc. It's clean and simple.

As far as durability, I haven't taken mine off for over 6 months; it's been swimming indoors, at the beach, smashed against shelving time and time again (I'm a storeman), it gets run under hot water about 10 times a day for hand-washing, I shower in it, sleep in it, play with my kids at the park ... It is yet to show ANY visible damage -- absolutely amazing!

The buttons are fine to press. After setting the alarm, starting the stopwatch, whatever, it returns you to the time mode with a single button push. Again, there is no nonsense, like scrolling through 5 more modes just to get back to the time display.

If you are also looking at the "solar atomic" model of the 5600, please consider -- the batteries in this watch will last years and years, and it will keep very accurate time (I reset it against Internet atomic time every few months and it's never been out by more than a few seconds). In my opinion solar & atomic are essentially "gimmicks" in wristwatches (no offense to those that enjoy those features, but, I see them as useless, and I have owned a solar G-Shock).

I 100% recommend this watch for the no-nonsense buyer who wants a relatively slim/sleek G-Shock with all the toughness, and non of the "fluff".

palani
16th September 2010, 04:50 AM
I like those 2 Gb Chinese watches with the USB port and headphone jacks for mp3s. They also have a microphone and will unobtrusively record a conversation for several hours.

Glass
16th September 2010, 06:08 AM
good input so far. Thanks. I don't actually wear a watch. While I have a couple dozen watches I stopped wearing one maybe 7 or 8 years ago...or more. I can't remember. Like you SLV^GLD I could tell what time it was good enough. Now everything has a clock on it so there was no need. And as for differences in time. I can loose 20 minutes walking from the house to the car because of the clocks. For me a clock is only really useful when hooking up with another person..... you know.. synchronize watches kind of thing. Still, interested to hear peeps opinions. Keep em coming.

Are you an Aussie G2Rad? You must be. ... that's a Sausage roll.