PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling sniper rifle for lower grade gear

Mouse
18th September 2010, 07:30 PM
I am kinda besides myself on this and trying to decide.

I have a very nice rifle that I bought a couple years ago and rarely use (I have only shot it once to set the scope - about 20 rounds total). It's a (for me) very expensive piece of kit and I was recently thinking I could possible sell it and get a decent hunting rifle with mid range glass, and a ruger or marlin 22 rifle, and a decent hunting shotgun with chokes, and probably have money to spare.

The rifle is a Tikka T3 Tactical in .308 and prices are for new stuff:

T3 Tactical - $1500-1600 new
Tikka muzzle brake - 160-200
Badger ordinance rings - 150-160
Leopuld Mark 4 Lr/T 8.5 25-50mm mil-dot 1/4 MOA $1300-1400

I haven't dug up all the receipts but I am pretty sure the whole setup cost me around $3100.

It's a great gun, but it's well beyond my ability to actually use it to it's potential, and I have some holes in terms of just hunting rifles.

I am planning on going on a couple hunts this year, and this is my only .308. I can assure you that the glass is too far, the gun too heavy and the bling too high for me to go hunting with the locals with. I need something more along the lines of a howa 1500 in .308 or a savage or something less um...expensive and heavy.

My other hunting rifle is a .223 varmint howa 1500 and I don't think that's a good deer rifle. Other than this it's sks's and Ak's.

So, what do you all think about the idea of trying to sell this setup to get some more practical gear?

I am not sure what resales are on guns, how much value do you lose just for having had it and used it once? Other things I should consider?

The other piece of the puzzle is that "what if" I actuall needed something that can dial long-distance like this thing and didn't have it. I just can't see ever needing to do 500+ yard kill shots. And if I did have the need I probably wouldn't have the skills to hit it, even with some of the best gear out there.

Need some advice.

Thanks

mightymanx
19th September 2010, 08:43 AM
For something at that level I would look at snipers hide for selling the gunbroker et. al. places do not know what the heck that thing is.

Don't be offended though when you find out that that is a entry level rifle @ snipers hide they are playing in the big leagues.

I agree but for a semi specific "practical" setup it depends on your terrain I live in a rain forrest and rarely take a shot over 50 yards for hunting. My primary weapons are a 54 cal TC hawken muzzle loader. ( I get a much longer season here with less drunks and more serious hunters) For modern hunting rifle I use a 45/70 Marlin 1895 Iron sights (my eyes are still good)

If you notice that I line the kaboom....thwack style of rifles I like huge bullets that make animals fall over lots of less tracking when they fall where they are shot. the high velocity rifles they don't seem to know they are shot for a while and run all over the place but I also realize that my setup would be virtually useless much over 100 yards. so Like I said "it depends on terrain"

steyr_m
19th September 2010, 05:25 PM
I dunno, That's a pretty sweet looking rig and I know I would hate to part with it.

Since you mentioned you bought it a couple years ago and only 20 rounds down range, I'd sell it. The bad thing is that even though you have only 20 rounds on it, it's still "used" and won't get as much of a return for it.

Yeah, I'd go for a Savage in .308 with some decent mid-range glass. That can still fill the role of a SHTF weapon.

The extra money you have, you can put towards some silver/gold and you know the value of that will be going up.

Oh, I'll have to agree with mightymanx, Use big, heavy slugs if most of your shooting is close range. I tried to look for the Savage in 338 Federal, but to no avail. 308 can be loaded up with 220 or (I think) 240 grain slugs.

My 2 cents...

IHS
19th September 2010, 11:11 PM
Yikes. A lot of money tied up in that rig...good luck. :oo-->

Mouse
21st September 2010, 12:10 AM
I will probably keep it. I can't find anything supporting values on these guns and where I live most everyone is broke. When there is more money I will buy more toys.

You should see my guitar collection :)

Fortyone
21st September 2010, 02:54 AM
I will probably keep it. I can't find anything supporting values on these guns and where I live most everyone is broke. When there is more money I will buy more toys.

You should see my guitar collection :)

Tikka is a fine rifle. but no one knows of it. Just keep that one or better yet swap it.

Book
21st September 2010, 03:13 AM
http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/tikka1.jpg

http://www.snipercentral.com/tikkat3.htm

Note: Tikka T3 Tactical was awarded the 2006 Rifle of the Year award by the American Rifleman magazine.

:oo-->

Hold it. Keep it. Love it.

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 08:26 AM
Note: Tikka T3 Tactical was awarded the 2006 Rifle of the Year award by the American Rifleman magazine.

:oo-->

Hold it. Keep it. Love it.

I agree with you, but he's had it for a long time and only 20 rounds down range. I say swap it for a "lesser rifle" and use the surplus $$$ for gold/silver/preps/whatever.

SHTF2010
23rd September 2010, 08:39 AM
do you have anything else capable of reaching out to 400-500+ yards ?

having something for " distance " is almost a must-have

horseshoe3
23rd September 2010, 08:56 AM

That just means they bought a lot advertising space. ;D

Seriously though, Tikka makes good rifles - I just wouldn't take AR's word for it.

mightymanx
23rd September 2010, 09:59 AM

That just means they bought a lot advertising space. ;D

Seriously though, Tikka makes good rifles - I just wouldn't take AR's word for it.

X2 on that

Tikka makes some of the finest noncustom rifles around but the sad part is most people don't know a damn thing about them. That is why I think it would be a hard sell to the General public most long distance wanbees think that the only "sniper rig" is a M24 clone and since the Military uses it it has to be the most bad ass thing on the planet. Since they want to play Military sniper in their mind they are unable to see the quality in another type of setup.

This is why I recommended Snipers hide there are true long distance craftsman there. If any place can appreciate that rifle that's the place.

If you want a 12" disk-able rifle @ 500 you could easily do it for about 1/3 the money you got in that rig. depending on how bad your eyes are will depend on how much bread you need to spend on Optics.

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 05:28 PM
X2 on that

Tikka makes some of the finest noncustom rifles around but the sad part is most people don't know a damn thing about them. That is why I think it would be a hard sell to the General public most long distance wanbees think that the only "sniper rig" is a M24 clone and since the Military uses it it has to be the most bad ass thing on the planet. Since they want to play Military sniper in their mind they are unable to see the quality in another type of setup.

This is why I recommended Snipers hide there are true long distance craftsman there. If any place can appreciate that rifle that's the place.

If you want a 12" disk-able rifle @ 500 you could easily do it for about 1/3 the money you got in that rig. depending on how bad your eyes are will depend on how much bread you need to spend on Optics.

I agree with you 100%. Tikka makes some awesome stuff. I looked at them too; but they don't sell a rifle that shoots 6.5x47 Lapua.

I still say sell; and buy a regular Savage rifle with some mid-range optics to fill the role, because he's not shooting it. Put the extra cash to PM's

Mouse
24th September 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am not sure where I would post such an item for sale. Sniperhide requires 100 post prior to being able to post 4 sale. I spent a while lurking there and those guys build some very serious rigs, thanks for the link, there is a lot to learn there.

FunnyMoney
27th February 2011, 06:34 PM
So how did the trade go, or did you decide to keep it?

Also, if you still have it, not sure that just because you almost never use it, that this should be your reason for wanting to get rid of it when you don't plan to replace it with something similar. A long range powerful rifle can be kept as an insurance policy and I'm suprised that only SHTF2010 mentioned the "must have" about owning a long range gun.

If the bad guys can be held off at several hundred yards out, what's that really worth? Would you rather have to wait till they're close enough to fully view the quality of your defenses before you can let them know you don't plan on giving up easily? Unless it's a full on war zone you probably don't want to hit them with the first shot anyway. But letting them know with a bullet flying by them at 400+ yrds will have them wondering if you can do that now then what's going to be in store for them at 200 or then at 100? Even the most stupid criminals can figure that much.

willie pete
27th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Here's a Board (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/) you can list it on, be sure to read Da Rules first.....Buddy is Anal about how you list, otherwise it IS FREE ;D

Mouse
3rd March 2011, 12:26 AM
I kept it. It's a sweet rifle. I need to work with it some more and possibly put some smaller glass on it for hunting. I have other rifles that are capable enough for hunting and I didn't hunt this year, anyway. I bought it for preps and it's staying for preps.

mick silver
3rd March 2011, 10:23 PM
i have Savage 7mm i would not trade it for nothing . i like a gun that i can shoot long distance shots with . at one time i play with it alot . but i would never sale the gun . if you can find a savage tactical in 7mm rem mag would make a great long range rifle for distances ... and the cost is alot less