PDA

View Full Version : EPA asked to ban lead for fishing tackle

Fortyone
19th September 2010, 05:42 AM
Somewhat minor, but yet more proof of the publics insanity of allowing more and more control.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/09/18/EPA-asked-to-ban-lead-fishing-tackle/UPI-29141284842283/

ShortJohnSilver
19th September 2010, 05:59 AM
It is a baby step towards banning lead for ammo .

General of Darkness
19th September 2010, 07:41 AM
What a fricken joke. They'll ban lead weights but Corexit is just fine. This is mad world we live in. :boohoo

7th trump
19th September 2010, 08:34 AM
Good let them ban lead its a poison anyway.
I'd rather make steel bullets that penetrate far more than any lead ever could.

Home made mini lathe and some steal, copper, brass round stock make for a better bullet.

Are these assholes really that stupid to pass laws that only leave you with a better alternative?

When are you sheeple going to start to use their momemtum and force against you against them.
They are making this real easy.

Fortyone
19th September 2010, 08:47 AM

Home made mini lathe and some steal, copper, brass round stock make for a better bullet.

Are these assholes really that stupid to pass laws that only leave you with a better alternative?

When are you sheeple going to start to use their momemtum and force against you against them.

You dont know anything about ballistics do you?

7th trump
19th September 2010, 08:55 AM

I know someone who has fired a steal .223 that went right through a 1 inch steal plate and a tree trunk and kept going. Thought he missed the target when he seen the dust kick up behind the tree at a 100 ft.
This bullet wasnt exactly at .223 but had a coating over it that protected the rifling that made it .223.

As far as ballistics go ...........adjust the grain.
And of all things these bullets came from a government auction that the government later found out their mistake and tried to retreive the the rounds.

Twisted Titan
19th September 2010, 08:57 AM
They can ban whatever they like

When they come to my door im going to have something very different to say on that matter.

Dogman
19th September 2010, 09:00 AM

Fortyone has brought up a point.

7th
There are few materials better than lead for bullets , It is because of its mass, and it is the mass that
makes bullets fly farther and hit as hard as they do.

The materials that you listed , would and could work but not as well as ones made of lead.
The only thing that would be better than lead is something with more mass.
Like uranium the depleted kind, and That would be poisonous.

General of Darkness
19th September 2010, 09:02 AM
41 is right, but he was being mean about it. :ROFL:

7th Trump something to consider.

(1) Steel shot is harder than lead shot. (Advantage)

(2) Steel shot is lighter than lead shot. (Disadvantage)

There's a lot of other considerations concerning ballistics, and lead is MUCH more preferable for a lot of reasons.

I wonder if tungsten would make a good ballistics material, any thoughts?

7th trump
19th September 2010, 09:06 AM
I dont care about 2, 3 or 4 hundreds yards or feet away. I care about right in front of me to 100 feet where most thug gun battles take place.
You know........where the shyt hits the fan.

Dogman
19th September 2010, 09:06 AM
41 is right, but he was being mean about it. :ROFL:

7th Trump something to consider.

(1) Steel shot is harder than lead shot. (Advantage)

(2) Steel shot is lighter than lead shot. (Disadvantage)

There's a lot of other considerations concerning ballistics, and lead is MUCH more preferable for a lot of reasons.

I wonder if tungsten would make a good ballistics material, any thoughts?

Tungsten is way light , would not fly as far as steel or lead, if of the same size

Edit:!!! I was wrong will not delete.. I was thinking of titanium which is lighter . My bad.

Dogman
19th September 2010, 09:12 AM
I dont care about 2, 3 or 4 hundreds yards away. I care about right in front of me to 100 feet where most thug gun battles take place.

Still will not have the same energy, And I can just see myself at a lathe cranking out brass bullets one at
a time. For a small run of custom bullets, yes. Large runs , no.

Even at short range you are giving up kinetic energy using lighter materials and the more kinetic
energy = more damage.

Ponce
19th September 2010, 10:04 AM
Is not what they want but rather what you have........if you are ready, as I am, you then should have all the ammo that you might need...........and besides, in a firefight either you kill or you die and if you live you then will take the ammo from those that you have killed........so, don't worry about the government.

Light
19th September 2010, 10:55 AM
Gold bullets.

Plastic
19th September 2010, 11:04 AM
Tungsten is way light , would not fly as far as steel or lead, if of the same size

I thought tungsten weighed about the same as gold that is why it has been found in "gold" bars, if it does weigh in near gold it would be heavier than lead.

Dogman
19th September 2010, 11:09 AM

I thought tungsten weighed about the same as gold that is why it has been found in "gold" bars, if it does weigh in near gold it would be heavier than lead.

My bad !

was thinking titanium

Thanks for the heads up

Fortyone
19th September 2010, 01:13 PM
I dont care about 2, 3 or 4 hundreds yards or feet away. I care about right in front of me to 100 feet where most thug gun battles take place.

Let me clarify this, your brass bullet at 100 ft coming from a ,223 or 308 will go through body armor flesh and bone in almost the same exact size that left the barrel,around a 1/8 to 1/4 inch projectile. a lead bullet would expand to the size of a nickel or quarter. To inflict the same type of trauma you would need to use a .50 caliber bullet of brass. Steel has zero chance of expansion. both are much lighter and have far less energy transfer. finally, steel will totally destroy your gun barrel in a few hundred rounds.

Fortyone
19th September 2010, 01:14 PM
Gold bullets.

actually that and silver make excellent replacements

Dogman
19th September 2010, 01:20 PM
Gold bullets.

actually that and silver make excellent replacements

Yep

And it would make it worthwhile to sift and mine the target backup berm, and or body's!

:wwfg