PDA

View Full Version : Why I purchase a Robarm XCR in 7.62x.39

General of Darkness
19th September 2010, 12:58 PM
Couple of reasons.

1 - CHEAP AMMO
2 - More Stopping Power
3 - Better than an AK47, yeah I said it
4 - You can change barrels to change calibers. It's three guns in one.

HOWEVER, the XCR is about about the price of two AK's, but my diesel pulls about the same as two gas burners. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for.

Just thought I through this out there for people that are interested in a "black" rifle.

This video is long but worth watching. You can also youtube XCR 7.62 and get a load of other videos. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDT7yAmB6bI

mightymanx
19th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Back in the day I had a Colt AR that was 7.62x39. I still kick myself for geting rid of it. It cost me $500 then :o

Awoke
20th September 2010, 11:38 AM
Are there a lot of different 7.62 pistols out there?

mightymanx
20th September 2010, 01:44 PM
Are there a lot of different 7.62 pistols out there?

The Draco and it's clones that is the only one I know of.

steyr_m
20th September 2010, 03:15 PM
Back in the day I had a Colt AR that was 7.62x39. I still kick myself for geting rid of it. It cost me $500 then :o

You should be able to buy a barrel and make your own upper. I know barrels exist for the 5.45x39 (which is superior round compared to the 5.56 NATO, IMHO) anyone know a source? I'm still looking for a .458 SOCOM barrel. Is there any issue shooting the corrosive 7.62x39?

mightymanx
20th September 2010, 04:14 PM
I shoot corrosive all the time and I actually look to find it and will choose it over noncorrosive
Corrosive ammo stores for dang near for ever I routinely shoot stuff from the 70's I get lots of failures of non corrosive after 10 years.

Now there are a couple of caveats on that it depends on the type of corrosive there is corrosive powder and corrosive primers or both.

I avoid the corrosive powder but seek out the primers all you have to do is clean your gun after you shoot making you are sure to get to anywhere gas goes. if cleaning is delayed spray it with something that has phosphates in it Windex is the "perfect" choice because it has ammonia and phosphates both of which combat the corrosive powder/primer residue.

I shoot black powder all the time and that powder is 100% corrosive so I am not too scared on using ammo with corrosive primers I know lots of gun owners with gun OCD that will avoid the stuff like the plague. I also dont bet my life on a gun that has hot been test fired prior to carry. So all my guns that I bank my life on are somewhat dirty all the time. But that is me and how I was trained.

mightymanx
20th September 2010, 04:17 PM
Couple of reasons.

1 - CHEAP AMMO
2 - More Stopping Power
3 - Better than an AK47, yeah I said it
4 - You can change barrels to change calibers. It's three guns in one.

HOWEVER, the XCR is about about the price of two AK's, but my diesel pulls about the same as two gas burners. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for.

Just thought I through this out there for people that are interested in a "black" rifle.

This video is long but worth watching. You can also youtube XCR 7.62 and get a load of other videos. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDT7yAmB6bI

If they made that thing take AK mags as well that would be the perfect smallarm.

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 04:47 PM
thats a BIG downside I see as well mighty.

The reason 'everyone' gets and AR or AK is because just that, "everyone" has an AR or an AK and if one of the multiple SHTF gun owners consider happens, they know "everyone" is going to have mags, ammo and parts for it.

Start getting into the proprietary, specialized, custom stuff ands its a whole new ball game. That should disuade anyone from buying the rifle they want, but it should be a consideration.

sirgonzo420
20th September 2010, 04:50 PM
lol at the "better than an ak" comment!

:D

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 04:52 PM

I sighted in my Ak today. I used a leather man tool and a hammer. I had to fix the gas piston once. I used a leather man tool and a hammer. I added an AFG and a new Hauge pistol grip....I used a leather man tool and kept the hammer handy, just in case.

I say, it dont get much better than that! rofl. ;D ;D ;)

steyr_m
20th September 2010, 05:43 PM
I shoot corrosive all the time and I actually look to find it and will choose it over noncorrosive
Corrosive ammo stores for dang near for ever I routinely shoot stuff from the 70's I get lots of failures of non corrosive after 10 years.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of picking up an SKS (i'm not allowed to own an AK), plus getting the Tapco furniture; but was apprehensive because I have zero knowlefge about corrosive ammo. All that together is about $600 Cdn and that includes 1100 rounds of ammo.

mightymanx
20th September 2010, 06:03 PM

Depends on what you want. For the most reliable bullet hose on the planet buy an AK to hit something reliably at 400 yards buy the Robar.

I personaly use a G3 Clone with a 1-4 scope for my open field zombie rifle.

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of picking up an SKS (i'm not allowed to own an AK), plus getting the Tapco furniture; but was apprehensive because I have zero knowlefge about corrosive ammo. All that together is about $600 Cdn and that includes 1100 rounds of ammo.

eh screw the tapco furniture. Alot of people who use the SKS as their primary wind up going back to the original configuration. Now, the tapco 20 round mags are great. I love em. Do the drop free bolt mod and maybe the duck-billes mod and you're gtg.

Alot of people like the 10 round fixed mag with strippers too, so I guess you ownt know until you get it and decide what works best for you personaly.

Check out Survivkers SKS forums, theres a TON of ks info there.

Can you get saigas in canada? That would be something worth looking into as well. Or an SKS M or D

steyr_m
22nd September 2010, 10:43 AM
eh screw the tapco furniture. Alot of people who use the SKS as their primary wind up going back to the original configuration. Now, the tapco 20 round mags are great. I love em. Do the drop free bolt mod and maybe the duck-billes mod and you're gtg.

Alot of people like the 10 round fixed mag with strippers too, so I guess you ownt know until you get it and decide what works best for you personaly.

Check out Survivkers SKS forums, theres a TON of ks info there.

Can you get saigas in canada? That would be something worth looking into as well. Or an SKS M or D

No, the Cdn govt. has decided that I'm not allowed to own any AK variant, or G3 variant as mentioned in an older post in this thread. The Saiga is an AK variant.

Canada is such a goofy place when it comes to firearms. AK and G3 is prohibited; but I can own an AR (with a restricted license), even a short 10" is OK. I can easily buy a Swiss Arms 552 10" shorty with that licence; but the full length Swiss Arms 550 is non-restricted. I also don't need a restricted licence to buy a shotgun with a 8-10" barrel (overall length must be 26").

Here's a breakdown if our restricted/prohibited firearms.

<hr>
List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms
There are three categories of firearms for purposes of Canadian law:

non-restricted,
restricted, and
prohibited.

This fact sheet identifies which firearms are restricted or prohibited, as set out in the Criminal Code and the Criminal Code Regulations. Some firearms are classified on the bases of their physical characteristics, such as barrel length or type of action; others are specified by make and model.

Non-restricted firearms are any rifles and shotguns that are neither restricted nor prohibited. Most common long guns are non-restricted, but there are a few exceptions, as indicated in this fact sheet.

Definition of a Restricted Firearm

According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

Firearms Prescribed as Restricted

This list of restricted firearms specified in the December 1, 1998 Criminal Code regulations includes all firearms that have been restricted by a former Order in Council.
The firearms of the designs commonly known as the High Standard Model 10, Series A shotgun and the High Standard Model 10, Series B shotgun, and any variants or modified versions of them.

The firearm of the design commonly known as the M-16 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it, including the:
Colt AR-15;
Colt AR-15 SPI;
Colt AR-15 Sporter;
Colt AR-15 Collapsible Stock Model;
Colt AR-15 A2;
Colt AR-15 A2 Carbine;
Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Rifle;
Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Target Rifle;
Colt AR-15 A2 Government Model Carbine;
Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II;
Colt AR-15 A2 H-BAR;
Colt AR-15 A2 Delta H-BAR;
Colt AR-15 A2 Delta H-BAR Match;
Colt AR-15 9mm Carbine;
Armalite AR-15;
AAI M15;
AP74;
EAC J-15;
PWA Commando;
SGW XM15A;
SGW CAR-AR;
SWD AR-15; and,
Any 22 calibre rimfire variant, including the:
Mitchell M-16A-1/22,
Mitchell M-16/22,
Mitchell CAR-15/22, and
AP74 Auto Rifle.

Definition of a Prohibited Firearm

The Criminal Code states that a prohibited firearm is:
a handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm or less;
a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition;
a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;
an automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm;
any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

Scroll down to see the list of prohib ( don't want to make this too long). Use command/contol F for 1995 to get to the list.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

Awoke
22nd September 2010, 06:02 PM
Steyr_M, if you're considering getting an SKS, MarStar Canada has a promotional deal on right now for the Norinco models.

$189 for the rifle

or

$199 for the rifle, oil can , Hardshell case and a T-shirt.

SKS man carries the full Tapco line and will ship to Canada. He also has larger magazines that are pinned for the 5-round maximum available for $25 a piece.
(sksman.com)

mightymanx
22nd September 2010, 07:28 PM
I keep "loaner" rifles for friends and family they are stock SKS's with stripper clips.

I have found out to take some one from a zero to someone that can hit a man sized target on a regular basis a "conventional" rifle is easier to learn on.
Most of the time the "cannon fodder" would be taking prone shots and a non pistol grip 30 round mag style makes it much simpler to teach.

To teach upper level firearms skills IE assault team, breaching and entry, shoot on the move, squaring off while wearing body armor, pieing corners. The pistol grip helps greatly in reducing the fatal elbow lead and allows you to square off and tuck in for a stable firing platform.

General of Darkness
22nd September 2010, 08:37 PM
To teach upper level firearms skills IE assault team, breaching and entry, shoot on the move, squaring off while wearing body armor, pieing corners. The pistol grip helps greatly in reducing the fatal elbow lead and allows you to square off and tuck in for a stable firing platform.

I've never been a "real" fire fight with ammo that can kill a person, but I did play professional paintball for 12 years and won two world championships. I've played against the best the military had to offer.

1 - SWAT, SEALS etc = Robot movement, not very fluid
2 - You drop the first one or two, you've changed the game
3 - Then you MOVE
4 - To win in ANY battle it's about ANGLES.

Life is about ANGLES, and CHANGING THE PLAYING FIELD. You come from somewhere that you're not expected too, and you change THEIR GAME PLAN

You know that girl you fell in love with? Different angle
You know that job interview you nailed? Different angle

Horn
22nd September 2010, 09:08 PM
You know that girl you fell in love with? Different angle

Angles are good, I've just been looking @ the curves up to this point. ;)

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 07:26 AM
Steyr_M, if you're considering getting an SKS, MarStar Canada has a promotional deal on right now for the Norinco models.

$189 for the rifle

or

$199 for the rifle, oil can , Hardshell case and a T-shirt.

SKS man carries the full Tapco line and will ship to Canada. He also has larger magazines that are pinned for the 5-round maximum available for $25 a piece.
(sksman.com)

Thanks, I was thinking I may pick up a few of those. A basic rifle and a box with 1100 rds of ammo that I can pick up now for about $500 will triple or quadruple in SHTF.

I was also thinking about picking up a few Russian-made ones with ammo for some of my family members for post-SHTF

mightymanx
23rd September 2010, 08:05 AM
I would say that is a good call.

I basicly did the same thing a while back. If you have a hard time finding stripper clips give me a PM I can hook you up.

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 08:23 AM

The reason I had the Tapco in mind was for the pistol grip and the rail in top part of the hand-guard. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is anything like that for about $100 is probably a bit flimsy. I want to mount an Eotech on the top rail. What is a "drop free bolt" and "duck-billes" mod?

Heimdhal
23rd September 2010, 09:56 AM
The tapcos are actualy pretty good stocks. Check that site out, quite a few members there have em and put eotechs and other sights on them with good results. You can also check out Tech Sights website and get the GI style a2 apperature for the SKS which ive heard nothing but good things about. Its an iron site, but very good.

I only say screw the tapco furniture simply because its really not needed. Pistol grips are nice, sure, but the SKS is a great rifle without one, so having an extra 100 to put into other things, (like ammo or mags) is nice.

The drop free bolt mod and duck-billess (typo in my other post) go hand in hand. Tapco makes 20 round detatchable mags for the SKS, which are very nice and reliable. The drop free bolt mod is a simple mod to the bolt of the SKS where you remove the "wings" on either side so the mags can be inserted and removed with the bolt closed. It takes a couple seconds and nearly everyone does it. it wont harm the gun at all.

The duck-billess mod is kinda new. 1mlt at that sks board (surviors sks forums) makes an adapter that fits into the mag well. You cut the ducks bill on the detachable mags off a little, and the adapter helps it fit in. Again, Ive heard nothign but good news about it, and its cheap and keeps you form having amags that get hung up in pounches because of the duck-bill. Look up the mags and youll see what I mean.

Hope that helps; )

Awoke
23rd September 2010, 12:40 PM
Badger arms supply also have Russian SKS's for sale for $199, according to a friend of mine.

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 02:48 PM
Badger arms supply also have Russian SKS's for sale for $199, according to a friend of mine.

Thanks man, I'll pick up two when I get back home. I looked at the Walther P1 for $279.00, that doesn't sound like a bad deal either.

Awoke
23rd September 2010, 04:07 PM
Cool Steyr.

In regard to the OP, my only beef with these pistols is that they are ugly as sin! I like my guns either Tacti-cool or 1911-esque.

steyr_m
23rd September 2010, 05:15 PM
Cool Steyr.

In regard to the OP, my only beef with these pistols is that they are ugly as sin! I like my guns either Tacti-cool or 1911-esque.

I dunno, the P-38/P-1 was a rock solid design that performed well for the Germans in WWII. In SHTF, I don't care what it looks like, I want reliability. For $279.00, I'll take at least one. I looked up the service history, and it was in service with the German Army until the early 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P38

Awoke
23rd September 2010, 06:36 PM
Actually Norinco is making reproductions of extremely well known pistols, and the parts machining is all done to exact tolerances as the original designs.

For example, you could buy a Norinco Sig-226, and replace any part with an actual Sig part. They are apparently exact reproductions, and only a few hundred bucks. Completely interchangable.

steyr_m
24th September 2010, 10:34 AM
Actually Norinco is making reproductions of extremely well known pistols, and the parts machining is all done to exact tolerances as the original designs.

For example, you could buy a Norinco Sig-226, and replace any part with an actual Sig part. They are apparently exact reproductions, and only a few hundred bucks. Completely interchangable.

I dunno, man.... I try whenever possible to not buy things made in China. Yeah, it mabe cheaper, but the Chinese are notorious for poor quality control when left to their own devices. Plus, our trade imbalance is the source of our economic woes here in N. America. I but Canadian first, then US, then things made in Europe. Waaaaay it the back of the list is China.

Awoke
24th September 2010, 08:27 PM
I agree with you and that applies for the products I buy such as food, clothing, gear, etc.

With the firearms however, or at least with my SKS, I bought Norinco because the price was right. My pistols are legitimately North American made, as well as my shotgun, but I figured I would pick up the Norinco SKS because my wife would kill me for spending anything over $400 on a semi-auto rifle.

I have a family and money seems to always be tight, so that was the decision I made that the time. However, also at the time, I didn;t know Badger was selling the russian versions for such a good price or I would have bought one of those.

All I know is I can't afford an AR15, nor the ammo, so the SKS or maybe in the future a VZ are a good buy for me.

1200 rounds for $200 is cheap. I do try to buy from Canadian Manufacturers for the most part, and failing that, I buy American usually.

Awoke
28th September 2010, 02:50 PM
OK, I watched part of the video, and I can agree that that is a very nice assault rifle. Too pricey for my wallet, so I picked up a Norinco SKS with the full Tapco tactical upgraded stock.

Looks exactly like this:

http://www.buymilsurp.com/images/TAPCO_SKS_RAIL

1200 rounds for $225. Cheaper than cheap.

The gun is a Norinco, $200, plus about $150 in Tapco upgrades and a scope mount receiver cover. All in all $350 Canadian for the full kit. I think I 'm going to buy a second one for my wife too.

Heimdhal
28th September 2010, 03:09 PM
Good deal man, thats cheaper than we can get most of em here! A fun little carbine, youll love it!

rip that scope off there and get some tech sights or invest in a nice red dot/scout scope. A scope is a waste on that thing unless youre at the range on a bench messing around. Its not something you want in a close up self defense situation or a drawn out fire fight.

Awoke
28th September 2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, but I will be hunting deer, bear and moose with it, so the scope stays. It;s only a little 4 time scope.

Heimdhal
28th September 2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but I will be hunting deer, bear and moose with it, so the scope stays. It;s only a little 4 time scope.

That works then. But still, those tech sights are worth a look. Not super cheap, but it will double your sight radius and greatly improve sight picture for irons. tightens the group up considerably from the field reports I've read on the sks boards. If I get another SKS, ill be putting them on ther efor sure, and Im hoping to get a set for mah AK!

Awoke
28th September 2010, 07:57 PM
What exactly are tech sights? Can you link me to some?

Heimdhal
28th September 2010, 07:59 PM
What exactly are tech sights? Can you link me to some?

Yeah no problem man. Im so used to talking about them I forget most people have never heard of em! Basicaly, they are standard A2 GI style iron peep sights, like you would see on the AR-15's/M16's, M1A's etc.

This is their main page. Look on the left and youll find the link for the SKS version.
http://www.tech-sights.com/

Awoke
29th September 2010, 01:06 PM
What do you think of these sights? Williams Firesights for the SKS:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dBldY182L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Heimdhal
29th September 2010, 01:44 PM
What do you think of these sights? Williams Firesights for the SKS:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dBldY182L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ive never heard of em, but ill check em out. There is another peep sight out there (krebs, I think) that puts a peep on the stock leaf spring (where the originaly notch sight goes) like this one. THe down side is of course, peep sights are meant to be close to the eye, that way your sight picture doesnt look like your aiming through a tiny hole (well, not as drasticaly anyways) so you get a perceived wider field of view. I check out the sks forum and see if anyone there has tried em

The other benefit is that you get a longer sight radius. SKS's and AK's have a pretty short sight radius and this is where alot of the innacuracy comes from, granted the SKS is lightly longer than the AK and its design is inherently a little more accurate than the AK. Thats the nice thing about the tech sights, is it over doubles the sight radius and the longer the sigh radius is, the more accurate your sights will be (though its only one part of the equation to making an accurate shot).

;)

midnight rambler
29th September 2010, 09:37 PM
I'd get a Robarms XCR if they'd quit dragging their feet on the 6.5 Grendel. THAT would be the ultimate, IMO (if not a Bushmaster ACR in 6.5 G, same issue however, not in production). The limited production numbers concern me though, which is why I wouldn't get rid of my AK or M1A if I had a XCR in 6.5 G.

My AK's makeover while I dream of a 6.5 G http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/4-4-10/SpeedLoad.jpg

Awoke
29th September 2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think anyone should get rid of any of their guns, no matter what they have.
Just MHO.

bellevuebully
2nd October 2010, 07:00 PM

a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length;
a rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more;

I wonder why they prohibit 25 and 32 cal ammo? Anyone have any idea?

Dogman
2nd October 2010, 07:06 PM

Links?

midnight rambler
2nd October 2010, 10:13 PM

The calibers of the tiniest hide-out guns, which in the minds of some are assassins' tools.

bellevuebully
2nd October 2010, 10:52 PM

The calibers of the tiniest hide-out guns, which in the minds of some are assassins' tools.

Thats what I was thinking, but then I thought....32 cal is not that small.

Heimdhal
3rd October 2010, 06:02 PM

Thats what I was thinking, but then I thought....32 cal is not that small.

it is in a pistol caliber though. When you're talking rifles, sure its not that small at all, but when you're talking pistols...well lets just say theres a reason alot of people dont use them as their primary gun

Awoke
28th October 2010, 06:31 AM
So I'm pretty happy with this receiver cover I bought with the weaver rail.
I have my scope zeroed in, and it's shooting nicely. If I want to take the scope off, I just pull the entire receiver cover off and put the factory receiver cover back on, and presto: Iron sights only.

If I want to use the scope, I just swap covers again, and my scope remains zeroed. Nice system!

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-leapers-3rd-gen-sks-high-profile-see-thru-weaver-scope-mount-with-accushot-1-tactical.png

Awoke
29th October 2010, 05:22 PM
Well General, I finally got a chance to watch the first half of that video, and I can't blame you for buying the XCR at all, especially in that caliber. Good choice man. Are you happy with it?

Awoke
29th October 2010, 05:35 PM
The duck-billess mod is kinda new. 1mlt at that sks board (surviors sks forums) makes an adapter that fits into the mag well.

Can you link me to that site please bro?

steyr_m
29th October 2010, 07:44 PM
Well General, I finally got a chance to watch the first half of that video, and I can't blame you for buying the XCR at all, especially in that caliber. Good choice man. Are you happy with it?

I agree, it is pretty sweet. It's non-restricted here; but for $2,400 I'd still rather have an AR and an SKS for the 7.62x39 ammo. Again, if SHTF, and your rifle breaks.... all you have is an expensive club. Wolverins has them I think. http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=8&do=3&mcid=1&scid=12&pid=963

Awoke
29th October 2010, 07:54 PM
That's the thing. Pricey. I like the SKS, although it is a little heavier than I would like. I would like to pick up a nice 223 AR with a .22 caliber upper for training.
That would be a lot of fun.

steyr_m
30th October 2010, 08:18 AM
That's the thing. Pricey. I like the SKS, although it is a little heavier than I would like. I would like to pick up a nice 223 AR with a .22 caliber upper for training.
That would be a lot of fun.

The desire to get a non-restricted rifle is important. When SHTF, the RCMP will be going around and collecting all restricted/prohib. (and if not all) firearms.

I have an LMT and will be getting the gas piston upper soon. This is what I'd get if I were doing it all again now - LMT - CQB MRP 12" Gas Piston Questar has it. https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=15

It isn't tacti-cool but the CZ 858-2 is good, plus it's non-restricted. Wolverine has it http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/default.asp?Pg=8&do=4&mcid=1&scid=12&mfid=98

Awoke
30th October 2010, 02:16 PM
My $300 SKS is non-restricted anyways. I would have a hard time bringing myself to spend more than $1000 on ANY gun.

steyr_m
30th October 2010, 03:57 PM
My $300 SKS is non-restricted anyways. I would have a hard time bringing myself to spend more than $1000 on ANY gun.

Another rifle to look at; but is out of production, is the AR-180B. It's a piston driven rifle with many shared parts of the AR-15. I think a guy on canadiangunnutz was talking about producing Alum. receivers for it too. They were about $800 new.

Heimdhal
31st October 2010, 01:56 PM
Can you guys get PSL's up there in Canada. That would be a great way to go if you can.

Awoke
31st October 2010, 04:25 PM
Can you guys get PSL's up there in Canada. That would be a great way to go if you can.

It looks similar to the SKS based on google images.

steyr_m
31st October 2010, 07:11 PM

That's an AK variant. Prohibited.

Heimdhal
31st October 2010, 07:49 PM

It looks similar to the SKS based on google images.

It is a similar action and design, but very much NOT an AK. It shoots the 7.62x54r round, the same round the mosin nagant tanks, which in soft point is a legitimate, high power hunting round as well (not that the x39 isnt). Its also a RIFLE and not a "carbine". 26 inch bbl. Thats why I suggest it, its a great little rifle, high power and very much afforable to buy and feed since the ammo is in the .20 cents/amer per round. Its worth looking up to see if its legal there for sure.

steyr_m
1st November 2010, 07:46 PM
It is a similar action and design, but very much NOT an AK. It shoots the 7.62x54r round, the same round the mosin nagant tanks, which in soft point is a legitimate, high power hunting round as well (not that the x39 isnt). Its also a RIFLE and not a "carbine". 26 inch bbl. Thats why I suggest it, its a great little rifle, high power and very much afforable to buy and feed since the ammo is in the .20 cents/amer per round. Its worth looking up to see if its legal there for sure.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order No. 13 (in effect since January 1, 1995)

The firearm of the design commonly known as the AK-47 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it except for the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto and the Valmet M78 rifles, but including the:

(a) AK-74;
(b) AK Hunter;
(c) AKM;
(d) AKM-63;
(e) AKS-56S;
(f) AKS-56S-1;
(g) AKS-56S-2;
(h) AKS-74;
(i) AKS-84S-1;
(j) AMD-65;
(k) AR Model .223;
(l) Dragunov;
(m) Galil;

The PSL is very similar to the Dragunov. Heck, I may call the RCMP firearms centre tomorrow and check just to make sure since it wasn't actually listed.

Heimdhal
1st November 2010, 07:52 PM

Former Prohibited Weapons Order No. 13 (in effect since January 1, 1995)

The firearm of the design commonly known as the AK-47 rifle, and any variant or modified version of it except for the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto and the Valmet M78 rifles, but including the:

(a) AK-74;
(b) AK Hunter;
(c) AKM;
(d) AKM-63;
(e) AKS-56S;
(f) AKS-56S-1;
(g) AKS-56S-2;
(h) AKS-74;
(i) AKS-84S-1;
(j) AMD-65;
(k) AR Model .223;
(l) Dragunov;
(m) Galil;

The PSL is very similar to the Dragunov. Heck, I may call the RCMP firearms centre tomorrow and check just to make sure since it wasn't actually listed.

its is VERY similar to the dragonov, in fact its a copy of it, but it is NOT a dragonov as most laws and importers are concerned and this is where you MAY have some luck. I would make that argument if they dont give you a solid answer or try to brush it off like it is a Drag. Dont say "well, its like a dragonov, but it isnt" just be all smooth and say "the PSL is a low capacity hunting rifle from Romania" ;D

steyr_m
2nd November 2010, 07:35 PM
its is VERY similar to the dragonov, in fact its a copy of it, but it is NOT a dragonov as most laws and importers are concerned and this is where you MAY have some luck. I would make that argument if they dont give you a solid answer or try to brush it off like it is a Drag. Dont say "well, its like a dragonov, but it isnt" just be all smooth and say "the PSL is a low capacity hunting rifle from Romania" ;D

That won't work here. It's still an AK variant.

Heimdhal
2nd November 2010, 07:37 PM

That won't work here. It's still an AK variant.

All well, it was worth a shot.

Awoke
2nd November 2010, 09:24 PM
We can buy AR's, VZ's, SKS's and some others.

No need to feel naked.

Awoke
15th April 2011, 04:29 AM
I know this is an old thread, but General, I wanted to ask you, have yoiu run this XCR through it's paces at all since you bought it? My buddy was thinking about picking one up, and I admit that he almost had me convinced that I should get one too, but after watching this video, I am thinking I will not go with the XCR.

This guy is a fan of the Robarm XCR, and claims that it is his favorite rifle. He puts it through three tests:

1) Dirt
2) Water
3) Mud

The gun failed, passed and failed terribly, in that order. The upper reciever was coming apart with the bolt and carrier moved with grit, etc. It looked disasterous in a "Time is life" situation. I brought this to the attention of my buddy and he asked me how old the video was, because supposedly they have made changes to the rifle as each batch was released, based on experimentation and customer feedback. Have they fixed these problems? I don't know.

What are your experiences with the XCR now that you've had it for a while?

Here is the video I am talking about:

http://vimeo.com/9211896

Heimdhal
15th April 2011, 04:56 AM
I havent finished watching the whole video yet, but that sand test alone right there would keep me away from this rifle as a SHTF go to gun.

They are great rifles, I've seen plenty use them in competition, both tactical/defensive carbine and distance accuracy, but if you had ONE go to rifle, especialy in 7.62x39, I would NOT make this that one. There are other, much more time tested rifles in that caliber that WILL absolutley, 100% deliver.

willie pete
15th April 2011, 06:06 AM
a missouri SWAT cop huh? ...ever sense the MO state Police issued this bulletin, I've been extra-skeptical about them...

"A secret report distributed by the Missouri Information Analysis Center lists Ron Paul supporters, libertarians, people who display bumper stickers, People who own Gold, or even people who fly a U.S. flag and equates them with radical race hate groups and terrorists. This is merely the latest example in an alarming trend which confirms that law enforcement across the country is being trained that American citizens are a dangerous enemy.

A copy of the MIAC report was sent to us by an anonymous Missouri police officer who was concerned by its content.

Perhaps due to the outlandish and shocking nature of the document, some people are still having difficulty believing it is real. Unfortunately, we have confirmed that it’s 100 per cent genuine. We spoke with Capt Hull at the Missouri State Highway Patrol who told us that the MIAC Strategic Report is a part “normal operation for officers” to receive these periodic reports for “safety purposes and to track trends or changes”. Hull added that the report was for the purposes of training their officers."

...by the way...I'd NEVER buy a rifle from those guys :D

Awoke
15th April 2011, 03:49 PM
Well I have been checking out the Magpul FMG and I like the look of it. Anyone have any experience with that battle rifle?

Awoke
17th April 2011, 03:53 AM
Well I have been checking out the Magpul FMG and I like the look of it. Anyone have any experience with that battle rifle?

My mistake. I am actually interested in the Bushmaster ACR which was designed by Magpul, but the MSRP is something like $2500, so screw that.

General of Darkness
18th April 2011, 08:00 AM
Awoke I have not had any issues with my XCR other than having to use POS 10 round mags because I'm in CA. I'd suggest you checking out http://xcrforum.com/index.php ton's of great info there.

Awoke
21st April 2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks General. I think I will personally stay away from the XCR for now. I am a Magpul fan, and I think if I was to spend that kind of money on an assualt rifle, I would buy the magpul-designed Bushmaster ACR. (Adaptive combat rifle)