PDA

View Full Version : what's going on with batteries?

chad
20th September 2010, 09:13 AM
i've been trying to stockpile batteries lately, and the prices are getting insane. a 4 pack of good double A's is up to almost $6 around here. even the cheap, crappy ones are $2 or $3.

is there some cadmium shortage i'm not aware of?

Gknowmx
20th September 2010, 09:15 AM
planning to get 1500x rechargable Eneloops myself. $$$, but worth it.

chad
20th September 2010, 09:16 AM

what are those?

gunDriller
20th September 2010, 09:26 AM
one note - i think Energizers can be re-charged.

Light
20th September 2010, 10:49 AM
All they have to do is cut off the batteries.

ximmy
20th September 2010, 10:58 AM
I've heard of small solar battery chargers... might be good to look into

etc
20th September 2010, 10:58 AM
You can get it down to 20-25 cents each if you buy in bulk on Ebay, say 100-200 pieces.

Gknowmx
20th September 2010, 11:23 AM

what are those?

http://us.sanyo.com/eneloop reviews on amazon. These and a good charger.

Gaillo
20th September 2010, 11:57 AM
Duracell makes a "pre-charged" battery that is EXACTLY the same as the Eneloops, and slightly cheaper. I own both (Eneloops and Duracell "Pre-Charged") and other than the label I can't tell the difference... I read somewhere on the net (forget where) that they're made in the same factory.

Gknowmx
20th September 2010, 12:05 PM
Duracell makes a "pre-charged" battery that is EXACTLY the same as the Eneloops, and slightly cheaper. I own both (Eneloops and Duracell "Pre-Charged") and other than the label I can't tell the difference... I read somewhere on the net (forget where) that they're made in the same factory.

Yeah, I read that this USED to be true. not sure about this anymore. Does Duracell have the new 1500x version?

Gaillo
20th September 2010, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I read that this USED to be true. not sure about this anymore. Does Duracell have the new 1500x version?

Hmmm.... I don't know. When you put "1500x" in your original post, I though you were buying 1,500 of them - I didn't know it referred to a different type of Eneloops! I'm assuming the Duracell "Pre-Charged" are probably just the older type that charges 1,000 times.

Glass
20th September 2010, 07:51 PM
Inflation perhaps?

Those prices for AA's are getting close to what we pay down here in Aus. I think we pay about $8 or so for a 4 pack.

I was looking at those eneloops and they are $8.25 a piece.

etc
21st September 2010, 08:27 AM
You can get Lithium AA cells for about 1 FRN/each but they have much more energy stored where they come out cheaper.

Nice backup when Eneloops cannot be recharged.

Another favorite of mine is CR123A cell, Lithium. But only useful in powerful torches.

Ash_Williams
22nd September 2010, 04:49 AM
I've only seen them get cheaper. The old fashioned duracell or energizer alkaline ones are in the regular stores these days for less than what the discount store price sold them for 5 year ago.

The other thing being that everything I use them in uses way less than years ago. My digital camera back then ate them like popcorn, 4 at a time, but now 2 of them is good for hundreds of pictures. Flashlights burned through them in a couple hours, but now the LED will run off 3 D cells for over a day, and still be brighter at the end than the old one! Recorders are all digital now so just run on an AAA forever. That's all use that runs on batteries so from my point of view, I can buy the things cheaper and use fewer of them.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
22nd September 2010, 08:16 AM
I've heard of small solar battery chargers... might be good to look into

I've got a couple solar chargers I keep in the window. I have a box of rechargeable batteries that I cycle through. They aren't as powerful but they work great for low power devices like remote controls and wall clocks.