PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Pistol training

Awoke
20th September 2010, 11:27 AM
I am looking for recommended DVD videos on tactical pistol training, techniques and practice.

Can anyone recommend any?

Thanks.

SLV^GLD
20th September 2010, 11:42 AM
It's old, it's cheesy but it's solid and applicable to concealed carry and draw.

Firearms Tactics 2.1 - Concealed Carry
by Lenny Magill

Hell, just take a look around www.gunvideo.com.

The one I recommend is only because it's the one I have.

Awoke
20th September 2010, 12:58 PM
Wow, that's a great site. Thanks SLV_GLD!!

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 01:52 PM
A great resource to check out is Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch. He charges a bit per dvd, but you can find them through...other...means for much "less". Ive got about 7 of em, from tactical pistol, to defensive and tactical carbine on up and they are some of the best, no nonsense training aids I have yet seen. I wouldnt mind going out to thunder ranch if I had a couple grand laying around, lol.

SLV^GLD
20th September 2010, 02:03 PM
I've planted a few seeds to my wife that if she ever REALLY wanted to treat me for a holiday or birthday that Thunder Ranch is just a phone call away. :D

Awoke
20th September 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm planting a seed in my wife, that we should fly to Las Vegas for a Holiday and spend a week at Frontsight.

Heimdhal
20th September 2010, 04:43 PM
last time i planted a seed in my wife she came walking into the room with a small, white stick in her hand and said "we need to talk".......

Awoke
20th September 2010, 09:02 PM
Did it have a whip on the end of it, and was she wearing a nurses uniform?

Sorry, off track... ;D

Anyways I'm getting Magpul, Art of the Dynamic pistol off torrents right now, and a Massad Ayoob video, Shoot to live.

Awoke
24th September 2010, 08:28 PM
This Magpul Dynamics video is amazing. I think I might buy the retail versions to support them. I'm impressed with the quality of the video and the quality of their instruction.

I would love to go there someday...

illumin19
26th September 2010, 12:46 PM
I know everyone knows this but just a reminder.........

there's no DVD or visuals that make up for the actual practice and muscle memory of actually doing it.

Don't forget the drawing from the hip, and keeping a similar setup always for your pistol ie.......safety off/on, da first shot or single action only etc....

It helps with everything being secondary and makes that "action without thinking" come alot smoother hence faster.....

Most real-life pistol/gun fights happen in a space that you can actually reach out and stab the other person also, soooooooooooo DO NOT OVERLOOK THE ART OF SHOOTING FROM WAIST/HIP AREA.

I took a class that allowed us to hit man size center mass at 10 ft firing 7 shots in less than 5 sec. from the waist (after a draw) at an almost 100% rate in a weekend......I must say, ups the confidence a bit.

Heimdhal
26th September 2010, 01:57 PM

there's no DVD or visuals that make up for the actual practice and muscle memory of actually doing it.

Don't forget the drawing from the hip, and keeping a similar setup always for your pistol ie.......safety off/on, da first shot or single action only etc....

It helps with everything being secondary and makes that "action without thinking" come alot smoother hence faster.....

Most real-life pistol/gun fights happen in a space that you can actually reach out and stab the other person also, soooooooooooo DO NOT OVERLOOK THE ART OF SHOOTING FROM WAIST/HIP AREA.

I took a class that allowed us to hit man size center mass at 10 ft firing 7 shots in less than 5 sec. from the waist (after a draw) at an almost 100% rate in a weekend......I must say, ups the confidence a bit.

THis is where I suggest airsoft to everyone. Its a great training tool that can help you hone your muscle memory in lieu of spending untolds amount of money on ammo and range time. None of the ranges near me allow outside ammo (so ammo is 50% more expensive, since you have to buy theirs). They wont allow more than paced double taps, or drawing from a holster or shooting from the hip.

Airsoft can be used in your house, yard or garage and granted the recoil factor isnt there, but youll get am amazing amount of trigger time to help build muscle memory for the times when you get live fire.

zap
26th September 2010, 02:32 PM

hahha I like to shoot from the hip, the shotgun..... its easier for me and doesn't hurt my arm/shoulder.

Dogman
26th September 2010, 02:37 PM

hahha I like to shoot from the hip, the shotgun..... its easier for me and doesn't hurt my arm/shoulder.

If you hold the gun to you shoulder right it will not hurt you. You have to hold it tight to the shoulder , if loose you are asking for a bruise.

zap
26th September 2010, 02:37 PM
yep got the bruise and sore for a while, i will shoot from the hip. ;D

Dogman
26th September 2010, 02:41 PM
yep got the bruise and sore for a while, i will shoot from the hip. ;D

Panty waste ! ;D

:ROFL:

bellevuebully
26th September 2010, 04:11 PM

THis is where I suggest airsoft to everyone. Its a great training tool that can help you hone your muscle memory in lieu of spending untolds amount of money on ammo and range time. None of the ranges near me allow outside ammo (so ammo is 50% more expensive, since you have to buy theirs). They wont allow more than paced double taps, or drawing from a holster or shooting from the hip.

Airsoft can be used in your house, yard or garage and granted the recoil factor isnt there, but youll get am amazing amount of trigger time to help build muscle memory for the times when you get live fire.

You could probably weight it down with some lead tape also......they're pretty light aren't they?

Heimdhal
26th September 2010, 04:55 PM

You could probably weight it down with some lead tape also......they're pretty light aren't they?

It depends. If you go for the cheaper ones, they are much lighter than a real gun, yes, but still have some weight to them, especialy if they are green gas or C02 powered (and these are the ones I suggest, not the electric ones, for this purpose anyways). If you want to spend a bit extra, they do make airsoft guns that are exact 1:1 replicas of their real gun counter parts. Down to the exact same saftey positions and trigger travel distances, etc. it gets pretty crazy, but then you're looking at a 3-400$ airsoft gun.

Ive got a green gas one that is based off the barretta m92. Its mostly plastic, weighs about half what the real gun weighs but all other dimension are correct. It even has a da/sa trigger, though the trigger pull is much lighter than a standard m92, and a bit longer.

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 05:52 AM

It depends. If you go for the cheaper ones, they are much lighter than a real gun, yes, but still have some weight to them, especialy if they are green gas or C02 powered (and these are the ones I suggest, not the electric ones, for this purpose anyways). If you want to spend a bit extra, they do make airsoft guns that are exact 1:1 replicas of their real gun counter parts. Down to the exact same saftey positions and trigger travel distances, etc. it gets pretty crazy, but then you're looking at a 3-400$ airsoft gun.

Ive got a green gas one that is based off the barretta m92. Its mostly plastic, weighs about half what the real gun weighs but all other dimension are correct. It even has a da/sa trigger, though the trigger pull is much lighter than a standard m92, and a bit longer.

It's definitely an inexpensive way to practice.

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 07:07 AM
absolutley. I just picked up ( a few months ago) a 10,000 BB bucket for like 6 bucks. Its the light weight BB's (You can get heavier ones for better accuracy, but thats for when you're actualy playing airsoft and not just practicing, so why spend more)

Green gas cost me about 10-15 bucks for a can, and thatll last through most of that 10,000 BB bucket.

So for around $21 you get +/- 10,000 rounds of trigger time and muscle memory building drills. Not too shabby at all.

Awoke
27th September 2010, 07:26 AM
Well, for proper practice I think I would rather just spend the money and by a .22 model of the combat gun I already have.

You guys, I'm aware that there is no DVD that can make up for practice and repetition, but the DVD by Magpul is a good place to start learning fundamentals. Practice is good. Proper practice with good technique is best.

It just so happens that the gun club I belong to has a whole pile of ranges that I can choose from at anytime, to practice moving and shooting, etc, without the danger of being shot by someone else on the range. The is always an empty range there.

I'm looking forward to training some of these drills with my wife and some friends.

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 07:54 AM
Well, for proper practice I think I would rather just spend the money and by a .22 model of the combat gun I already have.

You guys, I'm aware that there is no DVD that can make up for practice and repetition, but the DVD by Magpul is a good place to start learning fundamentals. Practice is good. Proper practice with good technique is best.

It just so happens that the gun club I belong to has a whole pile of ranges that I can choose from at anytime, to practice moving and shooting, etc, without the danger of being shot by someone else on the range. The is always an empty range there.

I'm looking forward to training some of these drills with my wife and some friends.

Thats the best way to go, or get the .22 drop in kits most guns have. But for lots of us we dont have access to nice ranges. We've got crap for ranges by me, and I mean total crap. The closest out door range to me is nearly 2 hours away. That adds a significant cost factor, having to pay gas for the whole trip too.

If you have the ability to practice live fire drills with actual live fire, that is the absolute best way to go. The airsoft/bb guns are just an alternative.

CHeck out the Thunder Ranch vids if you can, I think youll like them if you liked Magpul's.

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 08:03 AM

The closest out door range to me is nearly 2 hours away. That adds a significant cost factor, having to pay gas for the whole trip too.

2 hours?? That is pretty shitty. You don't have public lands/sandpits anywhere near? Being in Canada, I suppose we are spoiled with an abundance of access to crown land.

Dogman
27th September 2010, 08:05 AM

Thats the best way to go, or get the .22 drop in kits most guns have. But for lots of us we dont have access to nice ranges. We've got crap for ranges by me, and I mean total crap. The closest out door range to me is nearly 2 hours away. That adds a significant cost factor, having to pay gas for the whole trip too.

If you have the ability to practice live fire drills with actual live fire, that is the absolute best way to go. The airsoft/bb guns are just an alternative.

CHeck out the Thunder Ranch vids if you can, I think youll like them if you liked Magpul's.

Tad off topic-Sorry ;D

Here is a thought now that winter is around the corner, My dad shot computation all of his adult life (NRA Hi-Power Service Rifle). And got me into it also. There is something he did and I do during bad weather.

This is not the same as being on the firing line but is great for keeping in practice , trigger control, sight picture, etc.

That is to set up your own indoor range , using a good pellet gun ( hand gun or rifle) and pellet trap set up on a diagonal in a large room! You would be surprised on how well this works to fine tune shooting skills.

Just a thought!

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 09:40 AM

The closest out door range to me is nearly 2 hours away. That adds a significant cost factor, having to pay gas for the whole trip too.

2 hours?? That is pretty sh*tty. You don't have public lands/sandpits anywhere near? Being in Canada, I suppose we are spoiled with an abundance of access to crown land.

Nope, not so much anymore. Used to be some about 40 minutes out west people would shoot at alot, but you can literaly drive 40 minutes in any direction from where I am without leaving a suburban or city type atmosphere. Its a 100 miles of urban sprawl and I hate it.

Its also in the middle of liberalberg, so even if I didn manage to find some land, Im sure the cops would be there in less than 5 minutes cause some piss scared little sheep heard a bang. Shoot, we used to have the cops come out when we played paintball cause people said we were "shooting rifles and hunting"....i mean, seriously......

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 09:44 AM

2 hours?? That is pretty sh*tty. You don't have public lands/sandpits anywhere near? Being in Canada, I suppose we are spoiled with an abundance of access to crown land.

Nope, not so much anymore. Used to be some about 40 minutes out west people would shoot at alot, but you can literaly drive 40 minutes in any direction from where I am without leaving a suburban or city type atmosphere. Its a 100 miles of urban sprawl and I hate it.
Its also in the middle of liberalberg, so even if I didn manage to find some land, Im sure the cops would be there in less than 5 minutes cause some piss scared little sheep heard a bang. Shoot, we used to have the cops come out when we played paintball cause people said we were "shooting rifles and hunting"....i mean, seriously......

Dude.....that hurts. Ouch.

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 09:49 AM

Heimi.....you'de shit yer pants if you knew how accessible and how abundant public lands are in Ontario. We definitely take it for granted.

I know what you mean about shooting/liberals. Not shooting liberals hahaha, but shooting and the response it brings. I grew up about 1 mile from a subdivided area, fairly well populated. Immediately around us were all familier neighbours. My old man and his buddies would bust off a box of .45's or .32's in the back yard while drinking beer......bam, bam bam......nobody ever made an issue of it. I would bet dollars to donuts, if you tried that there today, you'de be in the crowbar hotel awaiting your unconstitutional hearing.

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 09:52 AM

Heimi.....you'de sh*t yer pants if you knew how accessible and how abundant public lands are in Ontario. We definitely take it for granted.

I know what you mean about shooting/liberals. Not shooting liberals hahaha, but shooting and the response it brings. I grew up about 1 mile from a subdivided area, fairly well populated. Immediately around us were all familier neighbours. My old man and his buddies would bust off a box of .45's or .32's in the back yard while drinking beer......bam, bam bam......nobody ever made an issue of it. I would bet dollars to donuts, if you tried that there today, you'de be in the crowbar hotel awaiting your unconstitutional hearing.

Yes, I greatly long for the day I can afford to leave this hell hole. I hate it with every fiber of my being. We are working at getting out of here, but it doesnt look like itll be anytime soon. Should have done it 5 years ago when you could move to a town and actualy find a job.

One day....some day.....

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 10:29 AM
Raised a prayer for you as we type.........

You know.....we often get trapped in accepting what we know. Home, town, job, income level and all that. I don't know your situation, but I've always believed that people can find the same or better standard of living, but in a much different environment. I assume if you are in the city, your mortgage or rent is fairly high. Parking expensive. Entertainment painfully expensive.

You never know....you might be able to move to some little town and run a convenience store or something similar with your significant other and live better on a LOT less. I've made some pretty significant moves over the years, and am inclined to be assertive in changing my situation if I don't like it. If you are determined and organized, it usually leads to greener pastures. That has, at least, been my experience. Again, I pray God meets all your needs, mentally, physcologically and financially. I would hate to be stuck in that situation.

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 06:17 PM
Made a little vid-ya for yall's out there showing off the airsoft gun.

Its nothing special, probably not even neccessary, but my wife wanted to try out her new video editing software (and I did) so I made a short clip:

Edit: Vid actualy works now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dap-FVj5ynQ

Awoke
28th September 2010, 02:45 PM
The sound cuts out at 1:38, but thanks for posting the vid bro.

I use airsoft too, but Mine are spring action, so you cock every time. Also, the trigger action is not very close to a real firearm, but I taught myself how to aim with both eyes open with it.

Heimdhal
28th September 2010, 03:06 PM
The sound cuts out at 1:38, but thanks for posting the vid bro.

I use airsoft too, but Mine are spring action, so you cock every time. Also, the trigger action is not very close to a real firearm, but I taught myself how to aim with both eyes open with it.

hmm, thats odd. Ill have to look into why. All that valuable information, ya know, lol!!!

Yes, the trigger pull isnt very close to a real firearm, and even in the accurate replicas it isnt, which is why dry firing with snap caps is a good idea too. This just gives you a dynamic training aid with feed back (as in, you can see where your shots are going, etc). I use it mostly for point shooting training aids and do my sight work with dry fire and range time, since the harder trigger pull of a real firearm helps you leanr to overcome sympathetic finger movements and heeling/bucking, etc to help keep your sights aligned properly through the long pull.

Awoke
28th September 2010, 03:27 PM
Especially if you're shooting a DA/SA pistol. Loooooooooooong trigger pull.