PDA

View Full Version : First Spouse Liberty Sub-Series complete set (with pics)

madfranks
20th September 2010, 12:26 PM
If you're not familiar with the first spouse gold coin program, click here (http://firstspousegold.us/) for an introduction to the coins.

Basically for every presidential dollar they make for general circulation, the US Mint is also making a 1/2 oz gold bullion coin to honor the wives of each president. For the four presidents who did not have wives,

"A subset of coins is created by Presidents who served without a spouse. In these situations, the obverse features an image of Liberty taken from a circulating coin of the President's era. The reverse features a scene from the President's life. There will be only four coins which carry the Liberty designs."

Earlier today I picked up the 4th Liberty coin in the series, so now I have the full four coin set! I opted for the MS69 coins, because I couldn't justify to myself paying an extra $100-200 per coin for the MS70 grade. ;D

madfranks
20th September 2010, 12:27 PM
The 2007 Thomas Jefferson's Liberty Gold Coin is the third issue of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program. Since he did not have a spouse during his presidency, the coin bears an image of Liberty from a circulation coin of his era.

The obverse of the coin, designed by Robert Scot and re-sculpted by Phebe Hemphill, was used on the Draped Bust Half Cent coin produced between 1800 and 1808. The reverse of the coin, designed and sculpted by Charles Vickers, features a monument to Thomas Jefferson located at his former home in Monticello.

Total mintage of coin shown: 20,000

madfranks
20th September 2010, 12:28 PM
The 2008 Andrew Jackson's Liberty coin is the seventh release of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program. Since he did not have a spouse while in office, an image of Liberty from a circulating coin of his era is used.

The obverse of the coin, originally designed by John Reich, was used on the Capped Bust, Lettered Edge Half Dollar which was minted from 1807 to 1836. The reverse of the coin, designed by Justin Kunz and sculpted by Don Everhart, depicts Andrew Jackson the war hero "Old Hickory" as he led American troops against the British in the Battle of New Orleans.

Total mintage of coin shown: 4,754

madfranks
20th September 2010, 12:29 PM
The 2008 Martin Van Buren's Liberty coin is the eighth release of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program. Since he did not have a spouse while in office, an image of Liberty from a circulating coin of his era is used.

The obverse of the coin, originally designed by Christian Gobrecht, was used on the Liberty Seated Dime which was minted from 1837 to 1891. The reverse of the coin, designed by Thomas Cleveland and sculpted by Jim Licaretz, depicts a young Martin Van Buren reading under a tree.

Total mintage of coin shown: 4,334

madfranks
20th September 2010, 12:38 PM
This is the third coin released in 2010 in the First Spouse Gold Coin Series. It is a one-half ounce 24-karat gold coin minted in uncirculated condition, giving it a satin-like finish. When a President served without a spouse, as did James Buchanan, a gold coin is issued bearing an obverse image emblematic of Liberty as depicted on a circulating coin of that era, and a reverse image emblematic of a theme of that President's life.

The obverse features a reproduction of the Liberty Head Quarter Eagle designed by Christian Gobrecht. The reverse depicts President Buchanan as a young man working as a bookkeeper in his family’s small country store.

Total mintage of coin shown: TBD

oldmansmith
4th October 2010, 04:36 PM
I have all of them, and extras of the Van Burens and Jacksons. A great set. They have already appreciated a lot in a short time; I bought a Van Buren uncirculated from the mint a year ago September for like $640 delivered. APMEX had one for sale for over $1,000 last week and it lasted like two hours.

So much for the bullion only crowd. I don't think that the last one (Buchanan) will appreciate as much as the middle two, but I'm buying extras anyway.

Book
4th October 2010, 05:03 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/b/I/clinton_arkansasquarter.jpg

Don't forget the rare priceless Lewinsky coin in this group.

:oo-->

Gaillo
5th October 2010, 08:19 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/b/I/clinton_arkansasquarter.jpg

Don't forget the rare priceless Lewinsky coin in this group.

:oo-->

Is that from the "Presidential Mistresses" collection? ;D