PDA

View Full Version : Blueberries Baby!!

skid
24th September 2010, 08:24 PM
I got rid of some fiat and bought 300 4 year old potted blueberries. I bought 100 early (Reka), 150 mid season (bluecrop) and 50 late (Elliot) varieties. These plants fruited this year (the Reka still have some green berries), and should produce well next year.

I live in the coastal PNW and blueberries are the easiest fruit to grow here (besides black berries) since the soil is naturally acidic. Hopefully it will quit raining this weekend so I can go auger some holes and plant blueberries.

Book
26th September 2010, 08:42 AM
Albertson's is selling blueberries "on sale" for $3 per eight ounces...lol.

:D

willie pete
26th September 2010, 10:23 AM
Man....I LOVE fresh Blueberries, during the summer the price drops a little and I enjoy them all the time, cheapest they get is about $1.50-$2 a pint, off season like right now, they're like $3.50-$4 a pint :o

steel_ag
26th September 2010, 03:58 PM
Source: http://black-currant.com/black-currant/Health+Benefits+of+Black+Currant

Black currants are very rich in many phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, essential fatty acids and minerals

In particular, black currants are renowned for their high content in Vitamin C (a powerful antioxidant), GLA (Gamma-Linoleic Acid, a very rare Omega-6 essential fatty acid) and potassium. They have been shown to have twice the potassium of bananas, four times the vitamin C of oranges, and twice the antioxidants of blueberries.

Black currants contain anthocyanins, which are compounds naturally found in berries. They are very potent antioxidants and are responsible for the color of blackcurrants. Around 300 different types of anthocyanins have been discovered.

Anthocyanins inhibit the enzymes Cyclo-oxygenase 1 and 2, and reduce inflammation and the effects of arthritis in the body. The effect is similar to aspirin or ibuprofen, so many middle-aged and old people are choosing the healthier blackcurrant juice over these drugs.

Anthocyanins have been found to be heat and light sensitive, so the processing of blackcurrants is controlled very carefully to ensure they keep their nutritional properties

The fruit juice of black currant contains proanthocyanidins, anthocyanins and a polysaccharide-rich substance, cassis polysaccharide (CAPS), and has macrophage-stimulating activity. Its interleukin (IL)-1beta-inducing activity is very high, compared with other fruit juices. CAPS was found to consist of mannose, galactose, xylose, rhamnose, xylose, arabinose, and glucose. This substance has been proven to be very toxic against tumor cells, so studies are being performed to determine the anti-cancer properties of black currants

In addition, black currant seed oil contains 47% linoleic (18:2n6),14% alpha-linolenic (18:3n3), 12% gamma-linolenic (18:3n6), and 2.7% stearidonic (18:4n3) acids. Of these, gamma-linoleic is rarely found in any other natural resource, and both alpha and gamma-linoleic are essential fatty acids, which means our body cannot produce them on its own.

Overall, black currants have been proven to have health benefits including:

* Anti-Inflammatory Action
* Powerful Anti-oxidant Action
* Maybe help prevent cancer
* Reduces the effects of arthritis

Gknowmx
26th September 2010, 05:47 PM
I got rid of some fiat and bought 300 4 year old potted blueberries. I bought 100 early (Reka), 150 mid season (bluecrop) and 50 late (Elliot) varieties. These plants fruited this year (the Reka still have some green berries), and should produce well next year.

I live in the coastal PNW and blueberries are the easiest fruit to grow here (besides black berries) since the soil is naturally acidic. Hopefully it will quit raining this weekend so I can go auger some holes and plant blueberries.

So, what is the plan? 300 plants is quite a bit. U-pick? Personal use? Farmer's market?

skid
26th September 2010, 10:38 PM
I'll add them to the 150 or so I already have. So far the plants are for my family's use, as we ate all produced this year (us along with sharing with other family, neighbors, birds, bears, etc.). Once they mature and start producing in quantity, I'll probably sell them at the farmer's market or local supermarket.

Kali
26th September 2010, 11:07 PM
We buy blueberries every 3 days here...make shakes every morning.

I would like to grow my own but dont know much on how to grow them.

skid
26th September 2010, 11:40 PM

Stick them in the ground and water them ;D

Kali
26th September 2010, 11:47 PM

Stick them in the ground and water them ;D

Sounds like a lot of work...any shortcuts?

skid
27th September 2010, 09:17 PM
I got a tree auger attachment for my tractor. Makes digging the holes easy. Then you mix your soil 50/50 with peat moss. Check the soil PH cause blue berries like it acidic. Add sulpher to bring it down to 4.5-5. Plant the bushes (make sure you have two different types/varieties as cross pollination is required). Cover the ground around the plants with two inches of wood mulch or sawdust. Use a professional blueberry fertilizer blend from your local ag store with trace minerals and micronutrients and apply once in April and once in May (at least in BC), otherwise your berries will be small and pathetic looking. Wait a year or two and you're golden!

I try as much as possible to be organic, and use organic supplements like bone meal, bloodmeal, calcium, humic acid, manure etc., but using a little artificial fertilizers will bring the best out of your plants. Applied correctly it will not burn out the soil or kill the creatures in it. You just have to be sure to add lots of organic matter as well.

Good luck