PDA

View Full Version : Smoked a Salmon on the weekend.......

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 08:52 AM
......hard to keep the damn thing lit, but the buzz was great. ;D

Had a 20lb chinook, caught a couple of weeks ago. Cut one fillet into 3 peices, marinaded in pineapple juice/brown sugar for the night, and smoked with hickory chips for around 7 hours.

I have an old heating oven that was used for keeping lunches hot in the mines. It's a well insulated metal box, ~36'' x 24''x 12 ''. The guts of the oven were ripped out. I just use a single burner hotplate with a cast iron pan full of chips. On high, the chips smolder nicely, and it gives me the 140*F range that I am looking for.

I refrigerated for 2 days, and plan on putting it in brown paper bags in the cold cellar. Anyone have any suggestions for storage longevity. It will get eaten quickly, but it would be nice to know how long you can store this product for. I would imagine it has a lot to do with the level of dryness of the finished product.

RJB
27th September 2010, 09:00 AM
Smoked a Salmon on the weekend.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuCeHUxoBY&p=230C2E67030A4A82&playnext=1&index=27

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry RJB, I can't see what you've posted. There are some restrictions on the system I am on. A lot of the time embedded items are not visible to me.

RJB
27th September 2010, 03:15 PM
Sorry RJB, I can't see what you've posted. There are some restrictions on the system I am on. A lot of the time embedded items are not visible to me.
Beavis and Butthead laughing at smoking a salmon. I know... for some reason it seemed funny at the time.

Joking aside, I'm jealous. I used to live on Whidbey Island in WA state. That's some good stuff. Sorry I don't have suggestions. I just ate it.

bellevuebully
27th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Beavis and Butthead laughing at smoking a salmon. I know... for some reason it seemed funny at the time.

Joking aside, I'm jealous. I used to live on Whidbey Island in WA state. That's some good stuff. Sorry I don't have suggestions. I just ate it.

Ahhhh......the Beavis/Butthead smoked salmon thing.........did they get it lit??