PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Container Homes

Down1
27th September 2010, 02:24 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing until recently.
Some are very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6deDlbeyeE

Hillbilly
27th September 2010, 03:12 PM
I actually thought of this idea about 20 years ago and presented it for a class project. Guess what? got a D and the teacher told me I was being facetious. I should have dropped out of high school and went into business right then and there and been way ahead of the curve by now.

Ponce
27th September 2010, 03:58 PM
Hey Billy, that's what happened to me........I found out that school can only teach you what they know and not what you should know..........for being a dumb Cuban refugee with a 10th grade education I have done pretty good.

Playswithfire
27th September 2010, 04:03 PM
Well now, some of those are pretty darned cool!

We have one of those shipping containers. A 40 footer, that we use for storage. Maybe I'll rethink it and add on to my house... LOL

Ponce
27th September 2010, 04:05 PM
Yea Fire, as a spare room for your mother in law hahahahahahahahahah.

Hillbilly
27th September 2010, 04:07 PM
Hey Billy, that's what happened to me........I found out that school can only teach you what they know and not what you should know..........for being a dumb Cuban refugee with a 10th grade education I have done pretty good.

That's the truth. The only thing you're qualified to be when you are done with the public school system is a civil servant or another school teach. Thinkers, Tinkers and Dreamers need not apply.

Playswithfire
27th September 2010, 04:10 PM
Yea Fire, as a spare room for your mother in law hahahahahahahahahah.

Both Ken and I's parents are dead. :boohoo

But you do have a point. Might make the kids want to move back home... LOL

willie pete
27th September 2010, 04:25 PM
Might make a decent vault if you bury one or two of them ;D

Hillbilly
27th September 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure every city could pretty easily end the homeless problem with a little city made out of these shipping containers.

osoab
27th September 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty sure every city could pretty easily end the homeless problem with a little city made out of these shipping containers.

Obama Mansions

Hillbilly
27th September 2010, 06:28 PM

Obama Mansions

LOL I'm pretty sure in about 10 years Obama will be a 4 letter word. In fact I know a few people I would like to tell: "go obama your self" LOL ;D

Gaillo
27th September 2010, 07:18 PM

Obama Mansions

LOL I'm pretty sure in about 10 years Obama will be a 4 letter word. In fact I know a few people I would like to tell: "go obama your self" LOL ;D

10 years? Other than my idiot neo-lib parents, EVERYONE I know thinks Obama is a 4 letter word! ;D

zap
27th September 2010, 07:25 PM
I don't think Obama runs anything, none of our presidents do, TPTB they just let us think we have some control over who holds the office (vote) The TPTB own all of the candidates doesn't matter who holds the office they don't control anything, they are kinda like sockpuppets

Heimdhal
27th September 2010, 07:50 PM
I'd be thrilled to have a shipping container home right now. Shoot, just having a home would be nice right now.

I wonder though how well they insulate from heat/cold, and how long they last.

StackerKen
27th September 2010, 08:05 PM
I'd be thrilled to have a shipping container home right now. Shoot, just having a home would be nice right now.

I wonder though how well they insulate from heat/cold, and how long they last.

I think they would last a long long time.
and Im sure you could insulate them really well with furred out walls but you would be losing space...Unless maybe you insulated them on the outside.

syrofoam is used quite a bit these days....they even make systems that interlock foam in a Z shaped framing so it can be covered with siding or drywall or hardy board( like in the vid. below except with metal "Z's" instead of the wood in the video...and the have foam the can be Plastered over with netting and thin layer of plaster.

zap
27th September 2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe a reflective barrier too, Kinda like Astro foil. Do you guys use that much ken?

hoarder
27th September 2010, 08:20 PM
They make pretty good barns. I've had a few shipping containers. Here's a barn I built in Texas with two 20 footers:

StackerKen
27th September 2010, 08:20 PM
Maybe a reflective barrier too, Kinda like Astro foil. Do you guys use that much ken?

Zap : I work for a Drywall/Plaster Co..... so I don't see a lot of that myself...But I know what yer talking about ;)

StackerKen
27th September 2010, 08:22 PM
They make pretty good barns. I've had a few shipping containers. Here's a barn I built in Texas with two 20 footers:

I remember that pic Horder....Very cool! Great Idea.