PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of .17 HMR for sniping?

chad
29th September 2010, 12:22 PM
i am infatuated with this cartridge since i picked up a marlin in it a few years ago. it's extremely accurate. i am having a blast shooting tiny things at 100 yards with it. i don't know how good it is beyond that, but at 100 yards it is spot on.

in SHTF, i am sure i could snipe deer in the head all day long with this round. it's quite too.

anyway, what do you guys think of it?

Dogman
29th September 2010, 12:29 PM
150 -200 max it is a very nice small varmint round. If doing something as large as a deer,
keep it to less than 100 yards and shot placement is critical if not =wounded and runaway deer.
Would only think of using that small of round as a last resort.!

And yes I know people that do it all the time with a .22 the thing is .17 has less mass.

chad
29th September 2010, 12:33 PM
150 -200 max it is a very nice small varmint round. If doing something as large as a deer,
keep it to less than 100 yards and shot placement is critical if not =wounded and runaway deer.
Would only think of using that small of round as a last resort.!

And yes I know people that do it all the time with a .22 the thing is .17 has less mass.

i'm a pretty good deer hunter. i'm thinking get them in to about 30 yards or less like i'm bow hunting, then pop them in the head with the ultra quite .17. ;D

Glass
29th September 2010, 01:04 PM
I've heard it's a very flat trajectory round in the ranges you are talking. I have a NZ friend who loves it for smaller critters against the .22. He likes it ok for foxes but not out a far as 100 even. Likes to keep it a bit closer for them. Adds to the challenge as well I think.

chad
29th September 2010, 01:08 PM
I've heard it's a very flat trajectory round in the ranges you are talking. I have a NZ friend who loves it for smaller critters against the .22. He likes it ok for foxes but not out a far as 100 even. Likes to keep it a bit closer for them. Adds to the challenge as well I think.

it is extremely flat. i liken it to shooting a mini version of a .270 round.

Book
6th October 2010, 08:06 PM
what do you guys think of .17 HMR for sniping?

Aim for the eye sockets.

Gknowmx
6th October 2010, 08:14 PM
i am infatuated with this cartridge since i picked up a marlin in it a few years ago. it's extremely accurate. i am having a blast shooting tiny things at 100 yards with it. i don't know how good it is beyond that, but at 100 yards it is spot on.

in SHTF, i am sure i could snipe deer in the head all day long with this round. it's quite too.

anyway, what do you guys think of it?

I have a Scoped Savage in .17HMR. I love it. Groups less than 1" easily all the time at 100yds. I have sighted it out to 300, hunt squrriels with it out to 200+. I can't wait to try woodchucks long range. close range I would like to hear if someone has taken deer. Seems doable.

steyr_m
7th October 2010, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't be infuriated with it, it's a wonderful round. For what it's designed to do, it does the job very well. If you're shooting anything smaller than a deer it's perfect. Coyote, fox, rabbit, grouse, turkey. (I realise shooting turkey may not be legal where you're at, but in SHTF, I don't think people will care.) Plus, I'm sure the .17 HMR is cheaper than a centrefire round and better than the .22 LR at the same time.