PDA

View Full Version : Hello Walton Family - More families, friends move in together

joe_momma
30th September 2010, 10:05 AM
Seems that two can live as cheaply as one.

(There'd been a thread a few months ago talking about the possible shift into extended family households as the economy worsens.)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2010-09-29-doubling-up_N.htm

The Grundy family seemed to be headed down the conventional path followed by American families: Daughter goes to college, graduates, gets a job and her own apartment.

Then something happened.

"She lost her job," Vel Grundy says about daughter Monika, 25. "She kept looking and got very, very discouraged. She moved back home."

Grown children returning home. Brothers and sisters moving in together. Families taking in grandparents. Friends living in the basement.

Fueled by the dismal economy and high unemployment, more Americans — friends and families — are doubling up.

From 2005 to 2009, family households added about 3.8 million extended family members, from adult siblings and in-laws to cousins and nephews. Extended family members now make up 8.2% of family households, up from 6.9% in 2005, according to Census data out this week.

"Clearly, a big part of that is the economic recession and housing costs," says Stephanie Coontz, co-chair of the Council on Contemporary Families, a non-profit research association. "We're seeing a shift away from the 1950s and 1960s mentality against extended families," when "modern" women did not take in aging parents for fear of hurting their marriage.

There are also signs of a shift from family households. For the first time in more than a century, more than half of people aged 25 to 34 have never been married.

The number of people in non-family households — those whose members are not related — grew 4.4% from 2005 to 2009, faster than the 3.4% growth for family households.

"It's a realistic recognition that while a good, healthy nuclear family is a valuable thing to have, it's not the only family form people are going to live in all their lives," Coontz says.

MAP: Participation in 2010 Census
FULL COVERAGE: Census 2010

Financial needs often trigger unconventional arrangements. How some are coping:

• Memphis. Vel Grundy's daughter, Monika, moved back home when she couldn't find work in Jonesboro, Ark., where she had graduated from Arkansas State University. She has a job now but can't afford to live alone.

Her parents don't mind.

"She has been a really big help and it's nice to have her back," says Vel Grundy, 52, a sales assistant for Clear Channel Radio. "It's affected her more than me because she's used to being by herself."

Vel and husband, Arthur Grundy Jr., are bracing for their other daughter, a senior at Arkansas State, to move back, too. And if Vel Grundy hadn't found a job after being laid off last December, they might have all had to move in with Vel Grundy's mother, who has taken a part-time job to supplement her retirement income.

"We'll be like Dynasty— everybody living in the same house," Grundy says.

• Watkinsville, Ga. —Christine Burgoyne's daughter and her four children moved a lot and often stayed with her parents between moves.

When her daughter settled down with her current husband, Burgoyne and her husband decided to find a house they could all live in.

"First thing we did is we made a list of what our criteria would be," says Burgoyne, 59, a program coordinator at the University of Georgia in nearby Athens. "We wanted separate quarters … (and) a neighborhood where the kids could play outside."

Burgoyne found a 2,600-square-foot home that has a large, well-lit basement. She and her husband turned it into their apartment, including a kitchen and work room.

"So far, it's been really good," Burgoyne says. "I don't spend much time upstairs at all but the kids spend an awful lot of time downstairs."

• Sylvania, Ohio — Jane Korte's son and daughter-in-law couldn't keep up with their mortgage when he was laid off from his well-paying job as a construction superintendent. They sold their home at a loss. Korte, a widow, was happy to let them, their two kids and three dogs move in.

"I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason," says Korte, 56, an administrative manager. "Overall, it's been a really good experience. … I have a wonderful relationship with my son."

• Milwaukee ——Jonathan Lewis, 45, left home in 1984 for Atlanta. He went to college and later worked as a mortgage broker. In 2008, he lost his job — and his house to foreclosure. He searched for work for two years before selling his car and moving back in with his mother in his childhood home.

"I came back feeling like a failure," Lewis says.

Eight days later, he found a job in the health care industry and is regaining his financial footing.

"It kind of was a breath of fresh air," says Lewis, who is staying in his sister's old room. "It's given me an opportunity to reconnect" with his mother, he says. "It's cool. We have breakfast together. … I take her shopping."

chad
30th September 2010, 10:15 AM
it's only a matter of time before my in-laws have to move in with me. they've plowed through 80k+ in the past 3 years, this on top of what they get in SS. >:(

steyr_m
30th September 2010, 11:02 AM
This is a change for the worse with the economy, a change for the better for society. This arrangement would not be unusual anytime before 1955-ish. Makes me think that society wanting to have a home/apartment of their own made a bit of a mega-bubble. I think this will be good in the sense for regaining family-ties. This is from 2005 to 2009, I wonder what it would be if this part of 2010 came in to factor.

Ponce
30th September 2010, 01:07 PM
And don't forget those young one who moves in with their parents WITH KIDS.........holy Ponce, lock the doors and windows.......who the heck can put up with all that yelling and screaming and smell.........was I ever one of them or was I born ready made at 18?.......while hell, I am still yelling and screaming.

PatColo
30th September 2010, 03:59 PM
This is a change for the worse with the economy, a change for the better for society.

While rents haven't collapsed on the scale that real estate values have, I've always maintained that rents will eventually follow. With the inevitable "cohabitation explosion" as the middle-class is destroyed, people/families lose job/income, lose their homes, & become insolvent neo-serfs as NWO has meticulously engineered, this will keep vacancy rates high & rising, and push rents lower.

Picture streets/apartments alternating between 10 people in home A, no one in home B, 10 in home C, no one in home D, etc.

Many "investors" who fancy themselves shrewd but are in fact "properly misled sheeple", still ignorant about how total this collapse has been engineered to eventually be, who are still drinking the MSM kool-aid re "the recession ended > a year ago, real estate is just putting in a bumpy bottom, blue skies ahead yada yada", are excitedly buying rentals & foreclosures in hard hit markets, dreaming sweet dreams about how rich they're gonna be tomorrow. Hook, line, sinker.

They smartly look at the advertised ROI numbers, perhaps the rent-multiplier (purchase-price divided by [historic] annual rental income) is a robust 10:1, how sweet is that?

Except that *historic* rental income is going to collapse... vacancy times between tenants will be longer (provided owner insists on the *historic* rent rather than lowering/adapting...), and landlording will be hell when their occupied units suddenly have 10 people living in them rather than the 2 they rented to, and all of society's mushrooming social/economic problems become the owner's problems. Then, varying by jurisdiction, when the falling economic dominos hit the tenant's job, they go insolvent & stop paying but don't vacate with nowhere else to go, it can take months to get them evicted. Owner eats the loss, can't get water from a NWO-neo-serf stone. Squatters can & will break into their vacancies and take up residence, and that's owner's problem to deal with again.

So today's "bargain real estate prices" with their newly "sweet, *historic-based* rental property ROI numbers" are going to collapse with rents/economy, as the rent decline curve is merely trailing the real estate decline curve. Investors blowing their wad buying rentals today, frustrated in 1-3 years with what a train wreck their once shrewd investment has materialized into, decide to throw in the towel & sell... only to find even their equity is gone, as prices have dropped another 50+% from today's 'rock bottom prices'. Many of today's "shrewd real estate investors" with some capital burning a hole in their pocket, and "properly misled" by the NWO media propaganda apparatus as to what's really going on, are going to take today's sucker bait, get caught in that trap and be rendered NWO-neo-serfs.

The ratio of "renters" to the population is surely swelling as former home-borrowers go bust, but it's paradoxically not going to translate into super-low vacancy rates & rising rents... just the opposite, as cohabitation mushrooms. Do we need to enter into the equation the imminent population decline/die-off, as both life expectancies and birth rates crater? Re the old real estate slogan, "they keep making more people, but they're not making any more land...", well, not so fast..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjgRwaMkXEA

ximmy
30th September 2010, 04:16 PM
Just like the olden days...

I don't know where this idea came that children move out of their parents houses, everyone with their own mortgage, then send the old folks to the nursing home... divide the real estate for inheritance, repeat...

Shami-Amourae
30th September 2010, 04:21 PM
Do you guys think this depression will reestablish the family unit that the elite have worked so hard to destroy?

Gknowmx
30th September 2010, 06:45 PM
Many "investors" who fancy themselves shrewd but are in fact "properly misled sheeple", still ignorant about how total this collapse has been engineered to eventually be, who are still drinking the MSM kool-aid re "the recession ended > a year ago, real estate is just putting in a bumpy bottom, blue skies ahead yada yada", are excitedly buying rentals & foreclosures in hard hit markets, dreaming sweet dreams about how rich they're gonna be tomorrow. Hook, line, sinker.

PatColo, I totally agree with you. I recall arguing on GIM with some of those sheeple who couldn't wait to buy rentals...

PatColo
30th September 2010, 07:31 PM
PatColo, I totally agree with you. I recall arguing on GIM with some of those sheeple who couldn't wait to buy rentals...

I remember veritas/jooristic-zio-whore shilling the notion to the goyim there, saying how he was buying some, how to find the deals, yada yada.

The notion that he wasn't lying as usual, but rather was really scooping up properties (this was couple years ago now).... that's sort of a sadistically happy thought :CS :plll

Does that make me a bad person? :conf: ;D

Hillbilly
1st October 2010, 07:42 AM
Doubling up will be the norm in a few years, thanks to the "jobless recovery"

mick silver
1st October 2010, 07:51 AM
i also see in time many people will be moving back home are familys will buy a real big home and all will work to make ends meat . the older people will watch the kids as the younger people work are raise food . i have a large home all brothers an sisters and mom knew to get here IF something big happens . they knew i have the land to raise food . and the fire power to keep it

MNeagle
1st October 2010, 08:32 AM
I recall reading one of the spikes in construction was for "Multi-family housing". Now, if that means townhomes or bigger houses to house 2-3 families, I don't know.

Our first home used to house several generations of a family. The finished basement had its own kitchen, which we eventually ripped out to put in another bedroom. Maybe should've kept it!!

Silver Shield
1st October 2010, 08:46 AM
WARNING: Get a written understanding before any relative moves in.
I have had a sister in law move in with me temporarily 1 year 4 months and 1 day ago. (my stupid generosity caused this.)
She has not looked for a job or even a freaking husband... (seriously this is a viable option job hunting, man hunting.)
No rent...
No Cleaning...
Baby sitting once in a blue moon....
She picks fights with my wife...
Hogs the DVR with her ****** shows...
Sun tans more than looking for work...

I have made it uncomfortable here for her so she spends more time at her parents house. That is causing tension over there. My mother in law snapped at her today to go look for a job.

If I had to do it over again I would charge rent including utilities and food, have chores, and have her understand that she is now a guest in our house and to act as such.

Even that is not really worth it.

zap
1st October 2010, 09:12 AM
Me and my husband paid off my sisters house, so she wouldn't move in with us, but I do hold title .

gunDriller
1st October 2010, 10:13 AM
Just like the olden days...

I don't know where this idea came that children move out of their parents houses, everyone with their own mortgage, then send the old folks to the nursing home... divide the real estate for inheritance, repeat...

yeah, society has gotten fractured ... people continually uprooted from their jobs - like a plant being bare-rooted.

most plants can't stand being bare-rooted. some palm trees can.

but, people aren't palm trees.

when i was in college, my family moved in with my grandparents. aside from some tragic friction between my father & my mother's parents, it was good.

steyr_m
1st October 2010, 11:50 AM
Do you guys think this depression will reestablish the family unit that the elite have worked so hard to destroy?

I think so, or will move more towards it...

agnut
1st October 2010, 12:56 PM
Good thread topic. Housing is about the highest single expense of the typical American’s budget. So changing it can bring the biggest positive effect to net income. No duh !

I still have a standing offer to four family members in Florida and two friends there also; to come and stay with us on our 10 acres. No rent, water free, places for RVs to park, place for a garden, security, etc. Also offer goes out to 4 other family members living on the west coast.

I think and hope that when the flags go up (upside down, of course), some of them will take me up on my offer. The only thing is that they would need to have bought a suitable RV or trailer well beforehand. Or that they have the cash or precious metals in hand to buy such a vehicle. Right now a suitable RV or trailer may cost $4K to $10K, depending on your needs. After this depression sets in, the price may drop drastically. So it is a matter of timing and patience to see where things land.

I am fully aware of the potential for problems such as Silver Shield posted however those moving onto my property must learn that they must pull their own weight, especially when things collapse. This ain’t gonna become a rest home for the lazy.

A rental apartment or house may cost from $600 to $1,000 a month. So a trailer bought for $4,000 would pay for itself in 4 to 7 months. Not a bad deal when considering what a house will cost you over a 30 year mortgage.

Of course, most people are still in the “hope and change” mode and see such a drastic change in their lifestyle as hopeless. In view of where the economy and job situation are and heading, I see this as a prepositioning for the future. Also a great unloading of a potential horrible financial burden, that is, future unemployment with nowhere to go.

In fact, if someone wanted to do this on the cheap; I mean really scroungy, they could find an older RV like the one I have sitting by the driveway. It is a 21’ Itasca coach that I bought and drove home. I paid $100 for it and no, that’s not a misprint. Sure, it’s not all pretty and fancy but it doesn’t leak and has a kitchen and bath with a shower.

Before you go laughing about this, think of how long it would take to equal continuing renting an apartment or house. Let’s see $100/$600 for a rental apartment would yield a payback time of about 5 days. And $100/1,000 for a rental house would yield a payback time of about 3 days.

So after those 3 to 5 days you would have gotten your investment back, and as long as you stayed there, the savings would continue to accumulate.

After 1 year, the savings would be about $7,200 if you had moved out of an apartment at $600 per month and $12,000 if you had moved out of a house at $1,000 per month. But you must consider that this is after tax money. Working at a job and grossing about $10,000 would net about the $7,200 after taxes net, wouldn’t it ? And similarly, grossing about $16,000 would net about $12,000 after taxes net.

Sounds pretty crazy but I am showing you an extreme example of what can be done. So much depends on your opinions of where we are going and how soon. I hope I have given some of you some things to think about.

I know some people who have done this very thing in moving into a motor home and living there for over 18 months. And they still have their motor home in the same place as a future bugout location.

So if you believe that things are going to go south in a big way, why not get ready right now ?

Best wishes,

agnut

Heimdhal
1st October 2010, 01:09 PM
Working in a retirment community (a LITTLE different than a nursing home, but not much) and my wife, daughter, mother and I all living together, I've said it before many times, I think this is a good thing.

As other stated, this wasnt the usualy until recent history. Sure, some kids moved away, but most people had more than one kid and one or two would always make sure their parents were ok, not just ship them off to some place where tehy can forget about them and believe me, that is EXACTLY what they do, exactly. I see it every damn day and it pisses me off the way we treat our elders.

I understand some of it. Some of them require full time assistance, and the ones that live at the place I work are better off than most and even then its a 24/7 task to care for some of them.

I think one of the worst things that ever happened to our culture was its division. First it was every individual had their own house, mortgage, bills etc. Mulitgenerational households ceased to exist. Then the stay at home moms started working (before, women would work until they became mothers, then they would stay home until the kids were grown and would return to work or continue staying at home). THis doubled the price of everything, from houses to cars because the market now suddenly had two incomes, which decresed, so prices increased.

Then the womens lib which went overboard and we started to see a berak up of the family unit all together. Now we have single mothers with multiple kids living in a welfare state waiting for "baby daddy's" check in the mail (another thing I see everyday).

SO, like I said, this may be a great thing.

Desolation LineTrimmer
1st October 2010, 01:24 PM
A society based on agriculture, with extended families living on family farms, would undoubtedly be a better paradigm than this globalist consumer society we presently exist in. Extended families living together on the land makes more sense than extended families sharing one large house. People need elbow room or they get on each other's nerves. Women who have to go to work instead of caring for their babies, old people who get shipped off into homes, when old people should be baby sitting their grandchildren. We have a long way to go, through 1 revolution at least, before the Waltons paradigm is re-established, but it is possible it may happen. This system is definitely collapsing. Something will replace it. Lets hope it is a White Republic based on small farms, small tradesmen, small business, generalized militias, sound money, and the good of the nation.

Book
1st October 2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/jewish-ads/2007-01.jpg

When the Social Security and Pension ponzi schemes suddenly stop all those selfish retired geezers in Florida will have to move in with their kids and start actually taking care of their grandchildren. Their direct-deposit government checks will go poof soon and suddenly they will want to spend "more" time with their grandchildren...haha.

:ROFL:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/11/12/retirement_wideweb__470x279,0.jpg

http://www.rivingtondesigns.com/No_Dogs_Sign.png

NO CHILDREN ALLOWED ON SITE!

ShortJohnSilver
1st October 2010, 09:22 PM
http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/jewish-ads/2007-01.jpg

When the Social Security and Pension ponzi schemes suddenly stop all those selfish retired geezers in Florida will have to move in with their kids and start actually taking care of their grandchildren. Their direct-deposit government checks will go poof soon and suddenly they will want to spend "more" time with their grandchildren...haha.

From the Seacrestvillage.org site:

All in the warmth and friendliness of a Jewish environment.

!!!

I bet that should be good for a few one-liners!

Sparky
6th October 2010, 10:53 AM

I have been telling people for years that a housing consolidation like this is in the cards, particularly to absorb the over-sized, over-priced McMansion housing.

I think hard times would be net favorable for society in terms of relationships and values. I say net favorable because I realize it will make things more difficult for some.